Next Thread
Print Thread
#877660 05/01/14 05:59 PM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
This somewhat got overlooked with the QB signings. He's an option for ILB2, has started over 30 games in the NFL

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-brow...ksEnabled=false

The 6-foot, 245-pound Diles, 28, is a veteran of seven NFL seasons. A seventh-round pick of the Houston Texans in 2007, he spent the past two years with the Titans. He has started 31 of the 69 regular-season games in which he has appeared.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
I think that we might yet remove the word "dire" from our need at ILB.

*Edit: I might have been thinking of someone else. This guy tried out in the camp we just held, and got a deal. He has hardly played in the past 3seasons.

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 05/01/14 06:13 PM.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Veteran of seven NFL seasons.... yet I've never heard the name before.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Veteran of seven NFL seasons.... yet I've never heard the name before.

7 seasons - 112 games.

He's appeared in 69, and started 31.

Sounds like he was a backup who fared decently in spot duty, probably getting time due to injury replacements.

He'll add competition and raise the floor on our depth, but we definitely should not be looking at him as a solution to anything.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Special teamer maybe?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
i was surprised by this. I have absolutely no association with his name, didn't recognize it. This has to be a depth signing, I presume. Anybody pimped this one in the past. I have nothing to go on. Let me know if I should be excited.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
It's just like the Young and Thigpen signings...

You bring a guy into camp, try him out, if he doesn't look terrible, you sign him to a no risk deal...

If someone beats him out before the season you cut him.

If he does anything of significance, it's a huge bonus.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Thanks! That helps. So is he ST? Or is he eligible for practice squad if we get longer in the position, say in draft. I am trying to get at this: Are we talking a starter here?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
N
Legend
Legend
N
no chance at the practice squad, the guy is a long-time veteran.
if he is our starting ILB, then we have major issues.

he is competing for a spot on ST and last ILB on the squad. and, likely long odds to even get to that point.

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
JC

Alright, we need the depth. ILB and secondary, especially.

I wish that we had kept DQ (and signed Dansby). That would be 2 solid starters and good mentors for a draftee/Robertson.

Legend
Legend
He's pure depth, though he does have numerous starts under his belt. He looked good enough in camp to earn a deal though ..... but those guys just as often get cut before training camp as not.

Keeping DQ would have done nothing for us, because he does not fit this defense. He is nowhere near as effective when he has to shed blocks on his own. When he can have a 4 man mine in front of him keeping him clean, he can play well ....... but in the 3-4, he has trouble making an impact.

Frankly I have a hard time believing that he went to another 3-4 team, because he has been at his best when he can play clean.... and that's not going to be the case in Indy.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Thanx, No Logo. Hope he can help us. Seems we are increasing the quality of our second shelf talent.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

It's just like the Young and Thigpen signings...

You bring a guy into camp, try him out, if he doesn't look terrible, you sign him to a no risk deal...

If someone beats him out before the season you cut him.

If he does anything of significance, it's a huge bonus.

This is also hedging against the draft. Smart. That way Farmer et al dont feel like they have to reach.

I remember not too long ago when we had to reach and might have drafted an ILB with #23 or even #4.

Very much like the QB thing if they dont get the QB they want in the first round. You cant always swing for the fences.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Last year when Robertson went down we had NO Depth at all - I do blame again the FO on that as they didn't do their due diligence to give some veteran depth in a one and done year. I was ok with the UDFA rookies on the team - until our staff got fired. Then I was PO'd at all the lack of depth.

Proof that this year is a year that they are looking to win and grow for the long term. Diles is no impact player but when the time of need is there is a heck of a lot more knowledgeable then a rookie UDFA!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Thanx, No Logo. Hope he can help us. Seems we are increasing the quality of our second shelf talent.

I have said it many times that you build rosters from the bottom up. It's fairly easy to pick the really good players. It takes real skill to find the best bottom 10 on a roster.

Many times, those are the guys who make special teams special. Those are the guys who have to fill in and aren't totally exposed, giving you at least hald a chance on most plays. I don't know who this guy is, but he has started for other NFL teams, so it is a plus pick-up IMO.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
That's a fine observation Ballpeen. You hope not to need to do so, but the bottom stringers may be starting when you have at least games, if not the season, on the line especially later in the season. These guys are equally important to how bad you need them to fill in and play well. If he has started and not given up the farm, good enough. I like that bottom up observation; think it is true enough.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Exactly, peen. If he is better than the bottom LB on our final roster, then we improved.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign LB Zach Diles

Link Copied to Clipboard