Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Something to help shape up your mocks...

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2014/TeamNeeds/default.aspx

For the Browns...

Position

Priority

Comment

QBm High Quarterback is the glaring need for the Browns, as they go into the draft with a player with four career starts coming off major knee surgery and a Division III youtube quarterback as the depth of their roster at this position. It will be a shock if the Browns do no draft a QB in the first round. The addition of Tyler Thigpen and Vince Young is unlikely to change their draft priorities.

OG High The Browns are switching from a power blocking scheme under Norv Turner to a zone blocking scheme under Kyle Shanahan. Last year, the Browns had all kinds of problems at guard. Shawn Lauvao was given a large contract to play for Washington and the Browns must sort out if they want to head into the season with Pinkston, Gilkey, and/or Greco or if they want to replace all of them.

ILB High Inside linebacker still has a hole after the addition of Karlos Dansby. This spot is clearly the weakest link on what is otherwise a very strong front-7 for Cleveland. Last year's starters D'Qwell Jackson (signed with Indy) and Craig Robertson (struggled with scheme change) both need to be replaced.

CB Med Buster Skrine stepped up his game significantly, but outside him and Pro Bowler Joe Haden the Browns' corners were abysmal last year. Picking up a talented outside corner could improve two positions on their defense, pushing Skrine inside.

FS Med Tashaun Gipson is adequate at Free Safety, but the Browns lack real playmaking ability opposite new addition Donte Whitner.

OG Med As mentioned above, the Browns need to improve at both guard spots and they could end up drafting two. One would likely be an athletic tackle convert and they may look for center abilities with the other to buil;d experience for Alex Mack's expected departure two years from now.

RB Low The Browns have question marks with hope at the RB position. Last season's late addition Edwin Baker showed some real skill in his limited opportunities. Dion Lewis looked terrific in the preseason before he was injured. Ben Tate is getting his first real chance to be a feature runnign back. Still, with 10 picks, if the Browns see a good running back fall in the draft, they may scoop one up to shore up a position they've been trying to solve for a decade.

ILB Low Behind Karlos Dansby, there isn't much at inside linebacker, and the Browns may look to add two youngsters to the depth chart in the draft. If they don't go outside with a second player, they will likely grab an outside linebacker to compete for the back of the roster.

WRp Low The Browns made two quality improvements at wideout with the offseason signings of Nate Burleson and Andrew Hawkins. Browns fans hope Travis Benjamin will retain his speed coming off of knee surgery. If a talented receiver falls in the draft, they may take a shot on one and see if he can push Greg Little off of the roster.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

ILB High Inside linebacker still has a hole after the addition of Karlos Dansby. This spot is clearly the weakest link on what is otherwise a very strong front-7 for Cleveland. Last year's starters D'Qwell Jackson (signed with Indy) and Craig Robertson (struggled with scheme change) both need to be replaced.

One of them already was...

Quote:

FS Med Tashaun Gipson is adequate at Free Safety, but the Browns lack real playmaking ability opposite new addition Donte Whitner.

I'm fine with giving Gipson this year to prove himself. I think he'll do much better with Whitner next to him as opposed to Ward in the box...

Quote:

Shawn Lauvao was given a large contract to play for Washington

Poor Washington.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I really enjoyed you site last year and give you madd props for the Armonty Bryant call during the '13 draft. So please allow me to quibble, even slightly, with your analysis of team needs for '14.

I would probably flip the priority for WR and OG. Or more specifically I consider WR , particularly a real #2 option to be a fairly high priority. At guard you don't give any weight to the signing of McQuistan who could be at least a short term answer at the position. We have in no particular order, Pinkston, Gilkey, Faulk and McQuistan, not to mention Greco who will likely get one of the two starting spots. If I were the GM I would still probably draft a OT/G prospect.

That's my criticism. Overall, I like what you've done again, with your site.

C
Legend
Legend
C
We have Little, Burleson, Hawkins, and Benjamin on the roster. That is an adequate group of receivers after Gordon. We also have Cameron who is our second best receiving option. Wide receiver is a need, but not a huge need.

It seems to me that Pinkston and McQuistan are best when you have them in backup roles. If you asked me I would rather have a starting guard over a wide receiver who might not even see the field.

Luckily this draft is quite deep at both positions and we have a boatload of picks. I would expect that both positions will be addressed this week.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
After reading your post, very good and spot on btw i decided to do this mock let me know your th
thoughts.

QB JOHNNY MANZIEL
TEXAS A&M

CB DARQUEZE DENNARD
MICHIGAN STATE

ILB C.J. MOSLEY
ALABAMA

G DAVID YANKEY
STANFORD

RB TRE MASON
AUBURN

DT DAQUAN JONES
PENN STATE

S DION BAILEY
USC

G JON HALAPIO
FLORIDA

DE MICHAEL SAM
MISSOURI

WR KEVIN NORWOOD
ALABAMA

#brownsgoodkarma
C
Legend
Legend
C
People need to stop using that site for mock drafts. It is completely unrealistic.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
rather than be rude why not discuss the picks or not reply? I didnt post it to see if you thought the simulator was spot on, or if you agree on certain people sliding in it. its for fun, so have fun or scoll on dude.

#brownsgoodkarma
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't get the point in discussing something that is not even in the realm of possibilities.

Legend
Legend
My top 3 positions for the Browns are QB, CB, and ILB. As I have said before, if it were up to me, I would take a pair of CB in this draft, both to improve our depth and ability to match up with spread type offenses, and to protect the team this coming off-season, when we will have to go all out to re-sign Haden, and will probably not be able to re-sign Skrine as well. (unless he puts together a Pro Bowl type season, and makes himself worth top dollar) Right now our CB depth is atrocious. Behind Haden and Skrine we have McFadden, Trufant, Posey, Hughes, and Heath. Anyone want to face Roethlisberger 5 wide with those guys? We have an opportunity to improve our CB corps (not corpes ) in this draft, and turn the positin into a team strength. I hope we take this chance.

Those 3 or 4 moves would significantly upgrade the weakest parts of the team.

I suspect that McQuistan and Greco will be the starting Guards this coming year. Greco played well in a ZBS under Shurmur, as did Schwartz. McQuistan is experienced in a ZBS/WCO offense as well, so we should have a solid foundation there. We have a number of young guys who were on the roster last year who can also compete for positions on the OL. I have long believed that OL is one position that can be groomed and molded by a team that is patient with its young players. Even UDFA can become Pro Bowl Guards, Centers, and RTs. It often takes time to develop them though. These guys have one year under the former scheme. Now these coaches will see who has talent and skills that fit their scheme, and who they can work with and develop.

When we look at the rest of the team, which positions appear to have the greatest possibility for competition, either for the starting role, or for a prominent backup role?

WR is obvious. Maybe a late 3rd or 4th round pick here. With the depth at the position, we should find real value there.

FS might be a possibility. We could see a move made here.

RB might be another spot where we look for competition. I like Tate and Baker ... and Lewis showed promise in last year's preseason ... but we might want another upgrade/competitor in the group.

Backup TE might be a spot we look at. We have Cameron and go reasonably 3 deep at the position, with a developmental guy as well, but who knows if they might see a value pick at the position.

On defense it would not surprise me to see players taken at any spot. We have a talented and deep DL, sprinkled with youth ...... but we can always add to that. ILB is a position where I hope we take a pair of players. CB is a major need, and FS, as noted above, is another possibility.

However, all said, we do not appear to be truly desperate at any positions outside of QB, CB, and ILB. We should be able to add talent based on quality instead of desperation, especially once we get past the top 2 o 3 rounds.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks for all the nice comments gd.

I think had we not signed Burleson I'd be right there with you. Personally I feel better about Burleson as a #2 wideout than any of the guards we have for either spot. Even if I felt confident about one of them, I'd still have guard for the other spot above another WR. I also think the depth at WR is better in this draft than at guard and would feel more comfortable waiting at that position. Just my thought process.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When the day comes when we can draft pure BPA and not even care what position it is.. I'm just not gonna know what to do with myself..

That's when I'll know our management / FO is doing a good job. I can't wait for that day..

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Personally, I'll have no clue how to react when we finally have a QB who looks great for an entire year. That position has so hurt this team for so long ..... it is hard to believe we have screwed it up for so long. Hopefully we finally get it right this year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Hey Tubby,

While I'd be very happy with that collection of players, I think cfrs is right in that it is pretty unrealistic. I'd be surprised if any of those players were available at our picks until you get into the 5th round. Not a knock against you, as the player was available in the simulation and you drafted him.

Just about any draft that has us with Manziel is going to get a thumbs up from me.

I don't think Yankey has ideal athleticism for a ZBS but I'm going to use some Stanford bias and assume he has the intelligence for it. Halapio would be a nice complement on the other side.

I'm also a big Dion Bailey fan.

Legend
Legend
j/c

I'm of the opinion that none of these QBs are going to be franchise type players ... and with this year's draft so deep in talent, it would be ideal to trade back a little bit and acquire another 2nd/3rd rounder

We could easily leave this draft with a starting CB (Gilbert/Denard), a starting LB (Shazier/Mosley), a starting OG (Martin/Filo/Yankey), and a starting #2 WR (Adams/Benjamin/Matthews)

That would be a great draft

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
You could add a starting inside linebacker to that list if we get Skov.

Legend
Legend
We need an athletic ILB to compliment Dansby. Shane Skov is not that.

B
Legend
Legend
B
What do you think of Jerome Couplin as a safety prospect?

I like the guy, and with a 81" wingspan and a 41" vert, he could be one heck of a kick blocker.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I bet Seattle takes him.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

My top 3 positions for the Browns are QB, CB, and ILB.

That's exactly how I see it.

Most projections show a run on CB right before our pick at #26 . Hoping we can still land one of the best in this draft.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

My top 3 positions for the Browns are QB, CB, and ILB.

That's exactly how I see it.

Most projections show a run on CB right before our pick at #26 . Hoping we can still land one of the best in this draft.

That's why I want 2 CB with out top 3 picks ..... if there are still quality players left at that position when we pick. Man, it would be so nice to have 4 top end type CB, with McFadden, who ended the year as our 3rd CB moving down to, or at least competing to stay out of the 5th spot.

Man, a quality secondary would help this team so much. Success in the NFL depends on being able to pass the ball, and stopping the pass. A QB and a pair of CB would go a long way towards making this team successful.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would agree ; except you will be pulling your hair out half way through the season if we don;t address the Guard position seriously ..

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I hate to plug in a rookie as a starter, but if we could get a #2 CB and upgrade Robertson's ILB spot...that looks like 11 legit starters on defense!

Secondary depth is a huge concern. Every year by Nov/Dec we have no-names out there getting blown apart. I'm with you (maybe not 2 of first 3, but 2 early). Grab 2 CBs and hope it ripples through our depth chart.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think guard is a bigger need than ILB personally.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think guard is a bigger need than ILB personally.

I disagree. It always seems like there is an interior lineman available near the final cuts, either as a result of cuts, ir in a minor trade.

I like Greco, and think that he might be even more well suited for the RG spot. He has played in the WCO, and has played well. I think that him being next to Schwartz will help Schwartz as well. (who also played well in the WCO under Shurmur) That leaves the LG spot, and we have a lot of options right now, and could find more as the preseason moves on. A G playing between Thomas and Mack will have it much easier than most.

Plus, other teams find Guards late in the draft, or as UDFA. Why can't we? We need weapons, and attackers on defense ..... and I don't want to have to use a high draft pick in a loaded draft on a Guard.

The Pats RG was an UDFA.

The Ravens have Osemele, a late 2nd rounder, and Yanda, a 3rd rounder.

The Bengals have Boling, a 4th rounder.

The Broncos have Vasqeuz, originally a 3rd rounder.

The list goes on and on and on.

Teams often find their interior line in a variety of ways ..... the draft, UDFA, other teams cuts or free agents, and trades. Plus, it is my belief that Guards, more than almost any other position, can be developed over time. We carries a lot of young OL last year for development purposes. I want to see what we have there. I think that we have a starting quality OL right now, and depth that we can continue to develop.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...
OL...if we don't take one 4-35 don't expect any contribution. Just some depth.

ILB if we are a 3-4 team we need one. 4-3 of course the need is less.

But the position that is being over looked I think is TE. Only cause there is a chance we will lose Cameron - just saying if there is a stud that falls to us I think we jump on it. Not sure how deep TE is in this class???

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Somewhat disagree with your OG comment. Generally of course you're right, it's tough to expect a propsect, who got picked outside the top 50 to start right away, but there are high floor guys at OG in the mid rounds that could do it in a WCO scheme. A guy like Steen and Gabe Jackson, even though he's not a typical WCO fit. Trai Turner is another OG I could see starting at RG right away.

As for TE, haven't scouted them much since we're 3 deep with Cameron, Dray and Barnidge and as many developmental types on the roster already, but the hot name for day 3 is Cincy's Annen. He ran a sub 4.5 and is a good and willing blocker. In fact, all he did was block in College, similar to Cameron. The raw talent is there and he's much more advanced as a blocker than Cameron was, lining up at several spots and blocking in-line as well as on the move. The Bearcats also have a nice recent history of TE prospects. He's a guy I would not be disappointed if they took a shot at, as that kind of size/speedcombo is rare, but he probably would not contribute much for 1-2 seasons.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
E
Legend
Legend
E
Trai Turner is another OG I could see starting at RG right away.

Trai has some good speed to him I like him as a prospect but you got to recognize the technique needed in the NFL and even more so in the Zone Blocking scheme. The further they drop they are dropping for a reason. I don't have all the tape to make the decision myself so I am just going on Sherlock Holmes stuff. The talent lacking that makes them drop out of the first two rounds...will keep them from winning a starting position over Greco or Pinkston. I'm not saying its a mistake to draft a late round OG...just its not a rotational position for one to gain experience and progress during the season. Unless there is an injury they just won't get a shot. I don't think either Greco nor Pinkston is a bum for the - We got nothing to lose theory.

Btw... as a prospect I hope we pick up Trai. I like that kid Boitono (I think from Nevada) also as a prospect. At 26 possibly the other OT from Bama??? 4 Robinson...35??? the kid Gabe seems to be a Straight ahead type blocker. Not Zone blocking.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The more you watch Turner the more you notice just how much he likes to physically embarrass guys. Would love to see the Browns take him.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Yeah that's the problem I see with OG. On the OL right now we have Joe, McQuistan, Mack, Greco, Schwartz and Pink pretty much guaranteed a spot. We have Gilkey, Fragel and Faulk in"development". Faulk and Gilkey might get poached on the PS but Fragel shouldn't.

So if we have 8 OL who could make the final 53 plus Fragel as a PS player whats the point in using a pick unless it's on a day one starter(Robinson, Mathews, etc) or a low end 6th or 7th round guy to compete with the bottom of the roster. Unless a guy we value falls to 71 I don't see a point in a 3rd-5th round type guy for us right now because he likely wouldn't start and we need depth a lot more in places like CB,QB, S, ILB not to mention ST. I'm all about BPA but when you get to the mid picks you have to sway slightly towards relative need. JMHO

That's why I lobby for a guy like Robinson. In one pick we have a potentially top 5 OL for multiple years and great depth as opposed to a slightly above average OL and average depth.

Last edited by predator16; 05/05/14 03:36 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pretty much the only way I want Robinson or Matthews at 4 is if we trade back into the first round later on....

SaintDawgâ„¢

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
BTW... Would it be too much to hope for if Jax pulled a Vikings and don't get their pick submitted in time?

Hilarity would ensue in the Browns nation and this board would go nuts!

SaintDawgâ„¢

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Tight End? I don't think is a pressing need, but I saw this today and thought this guy might be a great compliment to Cameron...

C.J. Fiedorowicz Size: 6-5, 265 pounds.

Position: Tight End. School: University of Iowa.

Credentials: Started 29 games his final three seasons at Iowa, which has an admirable record of developing tight ends for the NFL (Dallas Clark, Tony Moeaki) under head coach Kirk Ferentz. Fiedorowicz will become the eighth straight starting tight end at Iowa to be drafted by the NFL. That happens primarily because the NFL knows that Ferentz is one of the best teachers of blocking technique in the college ranks, dating to his days as an offensive line coach under Bill Belichick with the Browns. Fiedorowicz led the Hawkeyes with six touchdown catches last season, when he registered 30 receptions overall for 299 yards. He lined up wide and also in tight and showed the ability to make catches with his hands, away from his body. Fiedorowicz is not averse to lowering the boom with his shoulder after a catch, and he has the physical nastiness to excel as a blocker in short yardage.

http://www.espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=32141

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

I like that kid Boitono (I think from Nevada) also as a prospect.

This guy?

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Updated Team Needs and Projected Depth Charts

Link Copied to Clipboard