Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Nice observation. I hadn't thought of it like that, but that probably has a lot to do with us wanting a coverage ILB.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

j/c
First time I saw him play was last year against Ohio State. The guy was all over the field. He gives maximum effort. Willing to stick his nose in to make a play. Played outside linebacker for Iowa. I think he can play effectively inside for this team. Good pick.

Well, we're about to find out, because I'm about to watch that game on Youtube. I'll be back in about 40 minutes with some thoughts. I hope you're right...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

j/c
First time I saw him play was last year against Ohio State. The guy was all over the field. He gives maximum effort. Willing to stick his nose in to make a play. Played outside linebacker for Iowa. I think he can play effectively inside for this team. Good pick.

Well, we're about to find out, because I'm about to watch that game on Youtube. I'll be back in about 40 minutes with some thoughts. I hope you're right...

Try not to be distracted by their TEs destroying us.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
guy couldnt shed a block to save his life. On the bright side I thought he was the best 6th rounder we could have hoped for.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Try not to be distracted by their TEs destroying us.

Consider them ignored.

So that's not a great game to draw any conclusions from. Clearly Kirksey is an undersized 'backer whose game is built around speed. Since OSU runs the spread, that put Kirksey exclusively out in space and against WR's much of the time. He did show decent cover skills, which is a plus. He did shed blocks, but they were always against guys who weighed 35 pounds less than he does and unlike O-linemen they are never going to be paid to block people. He did get juked out of his shoes by Braxton Miller, but that isn't a crime. He did get dodged by Hyde later in the game as well.

Being in a spread game just showed off his speed and hid his lack of size. He'll never play an entire game out in space the way he did in this game, therefore it's hard to draw any conclusions.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
He's a sub package linebacker.

Legend
Legend
The upside, at least we didn't move up to get him.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
j/c

I hated this pick with all of my heart. Kirksey is this year's Leon McFadden, Beau Bell, and Antonio Perkins. With the WR that were STILL left on the board, I was confused.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
1st String
1st String
C
I'll just say this....

Legend
Legend
J/c...

If you guys think we're going to put Kirksey in the spot they put Robinson in against Bush last year and he'll be successful, you're dreaming.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The guy will be a situational LBer who is used in coverage and he will probably be decent on Special Teams.

Seems like he was drafted too early.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Seems like he was drafted too early.

I'm not so sure of that, Vers. I've been seeing him projected in the 3rd. He is not exactly unknown; he was part of one of the top rated linebacking corps...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I watched a lot of Kirksey, because I read great reviews about him and he had apparently an impressive SR Bowl week.

I saw the athletcism, saw good motor and hustle and good coverage ability. I can't put my finger on it, but he simply was not very effective. What I did also see was Iowa's ILB, Morris, making more impact plays. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he lacks football instincts and at this point is more of an athlete than footballer.

He does have talent and seems coachable and maybe he's one of those guys that enables others to make plays. In many ways he was and is a similar prospect as Shazier minus the pass rush ability. Only 3.5 career sacks is disappointing, but he was used in coverage a lot.

My guess is that Pettine envisions him in the Alonso role and he was in fact a similar prospect on tape for me, so maybe he surprises as well

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
D
Legend
Legend
D
I really, really like this pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we've acquired a great LB that will do well in space when called to... totally dig on this! All the reports indicate he posses the range of a safety in space! Exactly what I wanted, personally. Hopefully he can add some weight to be able to fight off blockers and etc to stuff up the run.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the additional info, Dj...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm not going to pretend I actually know who this kid is and what he'll do. I'll be honest I'm going to defer to the two guys who are probably the best LB evaluators around. Pettine and our DC Obrien??? What the heck is his name...lol

They know their scheme their vision of our D and this is their guy and they pretty much had their pick of the litter still with LBs. - I see a lot of game speed in the kid. He will learn from the vets and I think do well. Now Robertson can be what he is...special teams and a back up LB

jmho...love this draft. Don't let Gordon be a bubble popper...as a Brown's fan he's dead to me, he made his decision...Browns or getting high! Good bye and good riddance these are the new Browns!!!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
He has incredible closing speed and is explosive. He fits the bill. I'm ok with this pick.

I'm pretty sure we still have a good WR or two in mind.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know nothing about this guy... he was not who I had hoped we would draft for an ILB.

coach pet and the scouts must have seen something they loved.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

I'm not going to pretend I actually know who this kid is and what he'll do. I'll be honest I'm going to defer to the two guys who are probably the best LB evaluators around. Pettine and our DC Obrien??? What the heck is his name...lol

They know their scheme their vision of our D and this is their guy and they pretty much had their pick of the litter still with LBs. - I see a lot of game speed in the kid. He will learn from the vets and I think do well. Now Robertson can be what he is...special teams and a back up LB

jmho...love this draft. Don't let Gordon be a bubble popper...as a Brown's fan he's dead to me, he made his decision...Browns or getting high! Good bye and good riddance these are the new Browns!!!

Tab, the other thing going for Kirksey is he was tutored under coach Kirk Ferentz and staff. You know the kid will have learned fundamentals.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

OLB?

Can he play inside?

Yes they are planting him inside.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...I saw some tape of Christian Kirksley prior to the draft because his name popped up while I was looking at Christian Jones...I nodded it off as he plays OLB and is slight in stature for our scheme...but with us taking him and moving him inside...

The best word to describe him is "relentless" guy is always moving and does a good job keeping his head up...I saw several plays he is essentially lining up as a corner...does a pretty good job...can shed blocks from WRs...now he seems to get pinned by a lot of lineman when in the trenches...but he often gets up and keeps running to the play...also seems likes he gets in lineman's heads as they seem ticked off when engaging and attempting to pin him...saw a great goaline stand when he was engulfed but was lower than the lineman...Kirksey reached down and around and got the RB for a loss...now how he takes on NFL lineman seems to be the question...def. A very versatile linebacker...although pretty small

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c
The post-draft clamor about Kirksey reminds me of the things being said about John Hughes when Heckert drafted him. Essentially that the pick was a reach and that the skill set the guy displayed in college didn't fit fan expectation for the position. Hughes has become a solid although not spectacular player. I feel as if he is still getting better.

I don't see how it is possible that any fan can know the criteria for a Pettine linebacker better than Pettine. So Farmer drafted a guy that met those specs. Pettine's reputation and experience with good to great defenses, Jets and Ravens, also gives me confidence that Kirksey can be a good player for the Browns. Without taking a single snap on the practice field I think Kirksey offers more in coverage than Robinson.

Legend
Legend
I hope that you are right. I do see some very vague similarities to Kiko Alonso. (and I am really looking hard with my orange and brown glasses)

I still think that he could have been had far later in the draft.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This guy looks to me like he's going to be a weapon used to primarily shut down pass catching TEs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

This guy looks to me like he's going to be a weapon used to primarily shut down pass catching TEs.

Exactly. We did a pretty good job of getting in to 3rd and passing down last year only to fail to make them bring out the punter.

Pettine wanted a couple of guys who can hold up on 3rd and passing downs.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

j/c
The post-draft clamor about Kirksey reminds me of the things being said about John Hughes when Heckert drafted him. Essentially that the pick was a reach and that the skill set the guy displayed in college didn't fit fan expectation for the position. Hughes has become a solid although not spectacular player. I feel as if he is still getting better.

I don't see how it is possible that any fan can know the criteria for a Pettine linebacker better than Pettine. So Farmer drafted a guy that met those specs. Pettine's reputation and experience with good to great defenses, Jets and Ravens, also gives me confidence that Kirksey can be a good player for the Browns. Without taking a single snap on the practice field I think Kirksey offers more in coverage than Robinson.

You're right. Some of us fans have been wrong on every pick and the experts that run the Browns have been correct on every pick they have ever made. How dare we question their expertise?

He actually reminds of David McMillain and Nick Speegles, the two "can't miss" LBers that everyone was raving about not too many years ago.

Oh.............where are they now?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
JC

Love the draft, but this is the pick that I didn't really understand. I do like the idea of upgrading cover skills over Robertson. I don't think we drafted him for "need" so I'm guessing we had a high mark on him.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Speegle was slow ( his only knock) & McMillan played a totally different position in college DE, much more difficult to move to OLB in a 3-4, than going OLB to ILB.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
I am with you Don. When the pick came through I thought I fell asleep and it was the 5th round already. A real head scratcher.

I disagree however that it was not a need pick. We need ILB badly IMO.

After some thought and reading the similarities to Alonso I am excited to see what Pettine and Co. can do with him. Could look back on this pick and think we got a steal. Not the guy I would have taken but I have been horribly wrong on judging MLBs coming out of college. Hell I thought Katzenmoyer would be a beast and questioned the Urlacher pick. London Fletcher was too small to play also but has been a darn good LB in both the 4-3 and 3-4.

Pluses; I like the speed, leadership, coverage and consistency he brings.

Negitives; Size and not a physical player or a punishing tackler. I have seen safties with way more pop.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. We did a pretty good job of getting in to 3rd and passing down last year only to fail to make them bring out the punter.

Pettine wanted a couple of guys who can hold up on 3rd and passing downs.

I think he can slide over and cover slot WRs when Pettine blitzes CBs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Browns select Christian Kirksey with the 71st overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard