Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lurker Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
L
House Ethics reverses decades of precedent as lobbyist-sponsored lawmaker travel expands.

It's going to be a little more difficult to ferret out which members of Congress are lavished with all-expenses-paid trips around the world after the House has quietly stripped away the requirement that such privately sponsored travel be included on lawmakers' annual financial-disclosure forms.

The move, made behind closed doors and without a public announcement by the House Ethics Committee, reverses more than three decades of precedent. Gifts of free travel to lawmakers have appeared on the yearly financial form dating back its creation in the late 1970s, after the Watergate scandal. National Journal uncovered the deleted disclosure requirement when analyzing the most recent batch of yearly filings.

"This is such an obvious effort to avoid accountability," said Melanie Sloan, executive director of the watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. "There's no legitimate reason. There's no good reason for it."

Free trips paid for by private groups must still be reported separately to the House's Office of the Clerk and disclosed there. But they will now be absent from the chief document that reporters, watchdogs, and members of the public have used for decades to scrutinize lawmakers' finances.

Related: Nancy Pelosi Says Decision to Delete Reporting Requirement for Free Trips 'Must Be Reversed'
"The more you can hide, the less accountable you can be," Sloan said of lawmakers. "It's clear these forms are useful for reporters and watchdogs, and obviously a little too useful."

House Ethics Committee Chairman Michael Conaway, R-Texas, did not return a call for comment; ranking member Linda Sanchez, D-Calif., referred questions to committee staff. The committee declined to comment.

The change occurs as free travel, which critics have criticized as thinly veiled junkets, has come back into vogue. Last year, members of Congress and their aides took more free trips than in any year since the influence-peddling scandal that sent lobbyist Jack Abramoff to prison. There were nearly 1,900 trips at a cost of more than $6 million last year, according to Legistorm, which compiles travel records.

Now none of those trips must be included on the annual disclosures of lawmakers or their aides.

The tabs for these international excursions can run into the tens of thousands of dollars. One trip to Australia earlier this year cost nearly $50,000. Lawmakers are often invited to bring along their husbands or wives, fly in business class, and stay in plush four-star hotels. In the wake of the Abramoff scandal, lobbyists were banned from organizing or paying for these travels. But some of the nonprofits underwriting them today have extremely close ties to lobbying groups, including sharing staff, money, and offices.

The only indication that these trips no longer need to be disclosed on annual reports came in the instructions booklet issued to lawmakers in 2014. The guidelines for the new electronic filing system tell lawmakers and staff they "are no longer required to report privately sponsored travel" on the form.

Perhaps because the ethics committee's edict was issued so quietly, disclosure remained uneven.

For instance, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, who led a GOP delegation of lawmakers to Israel last summer paid for by the American Israel Education Foundation, which is closely tied to the pro-Israel lobby, did not include the trip on his annual form. House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer, who led a similar trip for Democrats, did include it on his form. But some of the rank-and-file members who went on the trip with Hoyer did not.

Craig Holman, a lobbyist for the consumer group Public Citizen who closely tracks the international travels of lawmakers and the actions of the Ethics Committee, said he was "completely unaware" of the change until contacted by National Journal.

"There's seems to be no reason I could imagine why the Ethics Committee would minimize the amount of information that gets reported," Holman said.

Holman took solace in the fact that the post-Abramoff reform law included mandatory disclosure of such trips on the clerk's website. But he said he was still was concerned about their absence from the annual reports, which he called "a critical element for understanding the finances of our elected representatives."

"It's always good to have more disclosure than less," he said. "It just seems a little odd that the Ethics Committee would pass such a rule change."

Link

Legend
Legend
Well .... without looking into this with any detail, I would say that I certainly see no good reason for changing the rules. It doesn't surprise me though. Those in power protect their power before all else.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Makes me sicker and sicker how bad they progressively keep getting.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well .... without looking into this with any detail, I would say that I certainly see no good reason for changing the rules. It doesn't surprise me though. Those in power protect their power before all else.

There are probably details we aren't aware of, but on the surface, this smells very bad to me.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

The move, made behind closed doors and without a public announcement by the House Ethics Committee

"House Ethics Committee."

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Nancy Pelosi Says Decision to Delete Reporting Requirement for Free Trips 'Must Be Reversed'

One of those rare occasions that I agree with Nancy Pelosi.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Unbelievable...and by the Ethics Committee no less.

I believe that term limits is the only way to stop the BS. It should be the common man who represents his people...lives with them...does his term and returns home to face them.

Nancy is correct for once...next up should be limiting taxpayer-funded travel for members of Congress. She will sing a very different tune on that one.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Unbelievable...and by the Ethics Committee no less.

I believe that term limits is the only way to stop the BS. It should be the common man who represents his people...lives with them...does his term and returns home to face them.

Nancy is correct for once...next up should be limiting taxpayer-funded travel for members of Congress. She will sing a very different tune on that one.

They make how much a year? I can understand government travel for like, getting to DC from wherever they love or going overseas for conferences and such. But that's where it should end. They make too much just from being in congress, then factor in their business and such. Man...

But WSU, unfortunately, the common man is more exposed to corruption than these career politicians. At least they already know what to expect. The problem is the power that comes with the job, very few people can keep their integrity the entire term limit.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
They continue to pry deeper and deeper into our lives, our e-mails, texts, phone calls, collecting all levels on details on our private lives... while continuing to insulate their own lives and even their public business dealings from us... we are headed in the wrong direction.

yebat' Putin
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Quote:

Quote:

Nancy Pelosi Says Decision to Delete Reporting Requirement for Free Trips 'Must Be Reversed'

I would agree that you agree with her-if she actually mean what she said.

I don't believe she does.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

They continue to pry deeper and deeper into our lives, our e-mails, texts, phone calls, collecting all levels on details on our private lives... while continuing to insulate their own lives and even their public business dealings from us... we are headed in the wrong direction.

I've never seen truer words written in these forums.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Lurker Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

For instance, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, who led a GOP delegation of lawmakers to Israel last summer paid for by the American Israel Education Foundation, which is closely tied to the pro-Israel lobby, did not include the trip on his annual form. House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer, who led a similar trip for Democrats, did include it on his form. But some of the rank-and-file members who went on the trip with Hoyer did not.

I will quote myself, because this is my favourite part of the article. Republicans and Democrats can't seem to agree or work on many bipartisan issues, which might/could help the citizens of the country, however they are more then willing to cross lines and work together for their own benefit. Only in America!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

"House Ethics Committee."

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

I have to reconsider my position now. There must be something we're not getting from this. It probably requires them to disclose everything.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Congress Quietly Deletes a Key Disclosure of Free Trips Lawmakers Take

Link Copied to Clipboard