Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Brian Hoyer vs. Johnny Manziel highlights competititve backfield battles: Cleveland Browns training camp preview | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/07/brian_hoyer_vs_johnny_manziel.html

BEREA, Ohio -- This is the third in a seven-part look at the Browns' roster position by position. The quarterbacks and running backs are the subject of today's report.

Overview

Nowhere on the Browns practice fields will there be more competition than in the backfield. Brian Hoyer and Johnny Manziel will battle for the starting quarterback job, while a handful of running backs are fighting for playing time and roster spots.

All eyes are trained on the Hoyer-Manziel matchup. Coaches and management agree Hoyer, 28, enters camp with a decided edge to open as the starter on Sept. 7 in Pittsburgh. His NFL experience and a rugged three-game start to the schedule – at Pittsburgh and home to New Orleans and Baltimore – are in Hoyer's advantage. Assuming his surgically-repaired knee holds up and he plays well in the first two exhibition games, Hoyer should win the job.

Winning the job and maintaining it are two different things, however. If Manziel, 21, excels in the pre-season games, he will embolden coaches to use him at the first sign of trouble for Hoyer in the regular season. Not having Josh Gordon or a strong receiving corps ultimately could play in favor of the more mobile Manziel.

Regardless of who wins the job, the Browns starting quarterback should have a decent running game behind him. No position group was more upgraded than running back. They signed Houston Texans' Ben Tate, a one-cut back who knows Kyle Shanahan's system, in free agency. They traded up to grab Towson's Terrance West at the end of the third round and signed Alabama State's Isaiah Crowell, a former SEC Freshman of the Year at Georgia. The Browns also have shifty Dion Lewis returning from a broken leg and Edwin Baker, who showed promise in the season's final weeks.

When the club uses a fullback, converted tight end MarQueis Gray might get the first shot.

The Browns could finish in the NFL's top third in rushing, especially if Manziel takes over at quarterback.

Projected starters

QB: Brian Hoyer (6-2, 215)

RB: Ben Tate (5-10, 220)

FB: MarQueis Gray (6-4, 242)

Reserves

QBs -- Johnny Manziel, Connor Shaw, Tyler Thigpen; RBs – Terrance West, Isaiah Crowell, Dion Lewis, Edwin Baker, Jourdan Brooks, MarQueis Gray, Chris Ogbonnaya, Ray Agnew.

Players to watch

Brian Hoyer and Ben Tate – Each veteran has waited for their chance to become a starter. Each is poised to win the opening-day assignment, but both must repel stiff competition. Tate made it clear in the spring he believes he's the best running back on the roster. He's likely to be pushed hard by Terrance West. Tate's history of injury and the league trend of running the ball by committee could lead to Tate and West sharing the load.

You can't rotate quarterbacks unless the Browns design a wildcat-like package for Manziel. Hoyer, a St. Ignatius product, has poured all of himself into readying for this competition. He says he's only taken five vacation days as he pushes his knee and sharpens his skill throwing with a cluster of Browns receivers. Hoyer needs to play well early to ensure the job remains his as the Browns return from the bye week to play at Tennessee on Oct. 5.

Under pressure

Kyle Shanahan – The new offensive coordinator has full run of the unit with head coach Mike Pettine busy running the defense and the club overall. Management has given Shanahan all he needs in the running game and options at quarterback. Can the former Houston and Washington offensive coordinator make it work without a formidable receiving corps? Can he tweak an offense depending on the quarterback? Can he find ways to use his depth at running back?

Comeback kid

Dion Lewis – The 23-year-old was enjoying a strong start to camp last year when he broke his leg in the second exhibition game. Assuming Lewis makes a complete recovery, he could become a valuable pass-catching back and third-down contribut

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Oh man. I'm so excited about our RB's. I feel like we have some good to great talent. Watching the preseason should be a real joy there. I'd love to be able to keep 4 backs, but I think that's pushing it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Like so many past years, there is some excitement about these groups, but there are still more questions than answers.

Is Hoyer's knee going to hold up? No one is talking much about that, but it is a concern.

Will defenses figure Hoyer out?

Can Manziel read defenses and coverages pre and post snap?

Can either QB stay healthy?

Can Tate hold on to the ball?

Will Tate stay healthy?

Is West a real talent or did he thrive because he played against inferior talent?

Does Crowell have his head on straight?

Is Lewis healthy?

Will the new staff give Lewis a fair chance?

Will they give Baker a fair chance?

Lots and lots of questions, but we should be used to that.

D
DG Offline
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
I would like to see us go back to the strong FB/RB play like we had with Smith and Vickers. Harrison broke records and Hillis looked like a superstar. Our Oline makes most RBs look better.

I think Tate can be good but he will get tired starting for 16 games. He must get help so maybe Baker or Lewis can fill in.

Crowell and West look good on paper with Crowell getting SEC freshman of the year at GA...West had good running numbers for Towson State (Towson State????). Both of these guys have weaknesses Towson St is not in the SEC and Crowell left GA for Ala ST after one year.

We may end up with just three RBs so I would go with a proven commodity like Baker or Lewis and let the others prove they can stay focused.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would like to see us go back to the strong FB/RB play like we had with Smith and Vickers. Harrison broke records and Hillis looked like a superstar. Our Oline makes most RBs look better.

I think Tate can be good but he will get tired starting for 16 games. He must get help so maybe Baker or Lewis can fill in.

Crowell and West look good on paper with Crowell getting SEC freshman of the year at GA...West had good running numbers for Towson State (Towson State????). Both of these guys have weaknesses Towson St is not in the SEC and Crowell left GA for Ala ST after one year.

We may end up with just three RBs so I would go with a proven commodity like Baker or Lewis and let the others prove they can stay focused.

We can always re-hire Maurice Carthon

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Training Camp Preview: QBS and RBS

Link Copied to Clipboard