Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Symbolic meaning has been covered by a lot of pre-approved civil rights leaders. Including, Dr. King.

"Somebody told a lie one day. They couched it in language. They made everything black ugly and evil. Look in your dictionary and see the synonyms for the word black. It’s always something degrading, low, and sinister. Look at the word white. It’s always something pure, high, and clean. Well I wanna get the language right, tonight.”

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Thomas & Friends is Racist: Only "good" engines pour out white smoke...

Wow.

You ain't kiddin on the "WOW".. The makers of this cartoon should be dragged out into the street and stoned.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PC Insanity Story of the Day: “Thomas & Friends,” the cartoon series featuring Thomas the Tank Engine and his other little talking train buddies, is racist. The reason? Only Thomas and the “good trains” pump out white smoke, while the “bad trains” pump out – wait for it – black smoke.
So, has political correctness finally gone ’round the bend? Not according to Tracy Van Slyke, writing for The Guardian:
For every Sesame Street, there is an annoying Caillou or an acid-trippy Yo Gabba Gabba. But Thomas and Friends is the one show with enough subversive messages to make me turn it off for good.

Thomas and those friends are trains that toil away endlessly on the Isle of Sodor … and, on its surface, the show seems to impart good moral lessons about hard work and friendship.

But if you look through the steam rising up from the coal-powered train stacks, you realize that the pretty puffs of smoke are concealing some pretty twisted, anachronistic messages.
Ms. Van Slyke is particularly miffed by an episode in which one of the trains has his red paint removed – and is repainted pink. To her shock and dismay, the other trains make fun of the newly-pink “James.” But it’s her analysis of the train engines’ smoke that takes the cake:
For the record, all the “villains” on Thomas and Friends are the dirty diesel engines.

I’d like to think there was a good environmental message in there, but when the good engines pump out white smoke and the bad engines pump out black smoke … it’s not hard to make the leap into the race territory.

As Zip over at Weasel Zippers observed, it appears that we’ve finally reached the pinnacle of PC insanity.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
This should be our wake-up call regarding all those folks who are "rolling coal"....

"too many notes, not enough music-"
F
Legend
Legend
F
The Church Cardinals are racists as well. black smoke means no Pope chosen, white smoke means Pope chosen.,

SHUT DOWN THE VATICAN!!! the racist pigs.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Someone better send a telegram to God... angels are always in white, and Death is always in Black.

I hold HIM responsible. Get this fixed, God!!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I wonder if they got the idea from this moronic fad?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
So, this is racist, but the Texas governor is not?

No big deal...........we all know that every Mexican is either in the Cartel or on drugs.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Wow people just have too much time on their hands...sad that some of you might actually think that cartoon is racist. The symbolism has ZERO to do with race. Has to do with good being out in the light and evil hiding at night. NOTHING to do with someone's skin color. Then again sleeping on clean white sheets is probably racist to some too

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Wow people just have too much time on their hands...sad that some of you might actually think that cartoon is racist. The symbolism has ZERO to do with race. Has to do with good being out in the light and evil hiding at night. NOTHING to do with someone's skin color. Then again sleeping on clean white sheets is probably racist to some too

This is a rather European idea. Some would say, why is this so prevalent that light = good in European culture, is it because they associate their skin color with good?

Legend
Legend
jc

i'm about race equality.

but some people try way too hard to try to find racism in every little thing.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Isn't it in general...

That white is considered pure because it is the presence of all colors and with it all possibilities...Since that colors break off through a prism, it is the presence of everything, and in which we associate hope and possibility. It is also light and revealing...that it is positive.

Black is the absence of color and with it, the lack of possibility, and shrouded by darkness...Since it is the lack of everything, and the darkness enveloping because of it...that it is negative.

Cant it just be that? Does it have to be that it is race related? Cuz...cmon now.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I think it's interesting to discuss from a strictly an academic standpoint, but I don't necessarily believe that it's racist, but I also don't believe it's not racist. I do believe that it's not intentionally racist however. That said, it's really an interesting conversation to have... I mean, it's not like a discussion like this would change Western Culture anytime soon.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Quote:

This is a rather European idea. Some would say, why is this so prevalent that light = good in European culture, is it because they associate their skin color with good?

Yeah so now the Chinese are raciest because of yin and yang ... or maybe since diesel trains actually blow black smoke they were just being realistic. Steam engines let off white smoke or actually vapor. But yeah they are raciest. Give me a freaking break. so tired of all the bull crap. Me and most of the rest of the world don't care about someone's skin color.

Now you wanna dress up like a hip hop artist spewing out gang lingo then I am happy to demean your culture because of its violent words and actions but i'll think of you as the same trash whether its white, black, latino, asian, or whatever else is out there.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
What if a told you that there have been studies that asked black children under 5 which doll they preferred, a white doll or a black doll? In the study it showed that the majority of the black children wanted the white doll because the white doll was ”good” and “pretty”, and the black doll was “ugly” and “bad”. Would that change your outlook?

2nd question since the studies are factual and well documented, how and why do you think that the children feel that way?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

What if a told you that there have been studies that asked black children under 5 which doll they preferred, a white doll or a black doll? In the study it showed that the majority of the black children wanted the white doll because the white doll was ”good” and “pretty”, and the black doll was “ugly” and “bad”. Would that change your outlook?

2nd question since the studies are factual and well documented, how and why do you think that the children feel that way?

because they watch too much tv or thier parents are bums and they envy the other kids. You can make a study to say whatever you want these days by stacking who you put in it.

Legend
Legend
Yours post was fine.... Then you ruined it with the last paragraph and the last sentence of the first.

Most? You're right... Most of the world does still care about skin color.

In India, the lighter skinned you are, the more success you have, they even go so far as to bleach their skin sometimes.

In Asian countries, it's honorable for a woman to marry a white guy, but a lot of families forbid their daughters dating black or Hispanic.

Should I keep going?

The majority doesn't care HERE in the USA. But the rest if the world? It's still a problem.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:

jc

i'm about race equality.

but some people try way too hard to try to find racism in every little thing.

I agree.. and it just ends up distracting us away, ever so slightly, from more important issues that actually deserve our attention and areas where progress could be made.

yebat' Putin
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

because they watch too much tv or thier parents are bums and they envy the other kids. You can make a study to say whatever you want these days by stacking who you put in it.

So watching too much TV like the “Thomas the Train” which is showing the white smoke is good and the black smoke is bad? So you agree that symbolism can make a difference?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah so now the Chinese are raciest because of yin and yang ... or maybe since diesel trains actually blow black smoke they were just being realistic. Steam engines let off white smoke or actually vapor. But yeah they are raciest. Give me a freaking break. so tired of all the bull crap. Me and most of the rest of the world don't care about someone's skin color.

Now you wanna dress up like a hip hop artist spewing out gang lingo then I am happy to demean your culture because of its violent words and actions but i'll think of you as the same trash whether its white, black, latino, asian, or whatever else is out there.

Got it. So you don't want to have a conversation about it, just play the "I'm not racist card." and move on.

Thanks for the info, Lurker.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

No, it's because Christianity has been the most prominent religion in Europe for hundreds if not thousands of years and the Bible repeatedly uses light as a positive reference and darkness as a negative reference.

yebat' Putin
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
j/c

If you are making money, you are thankfully "in the black" and not "in the red". Time for Native Americans to boycott all accountants.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
Legend
Legend
Just like PC insanity you guys are making much ado about nothing. Everyone knows the bad guys wear black and the good guys wear white. It's always been this way with movies and TV. It has nothing to do with race or religion. People just want rock the boat and to call each other out.

Please, by all means continue the insanity it's fun to read.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I am curious, if you feel this way can you answer my questions I posed to Razor?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am curious, if you feel this way can you answer my questions I posed to Razor?

Not really. This is a crazy stupid subject IMO, people read way too much into things these days.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I believe racism does in fact exist and is alive and well.

But I believe when it is trivialized and searched for in any lame thing that can be found, like this as an example, it causes the "cry wolf effect" to the point people begin to lose some interest in the subject.

If people concentrated on issues where racism really does exist rather than to try sensationalize it, people would focus on the real issues that exist rather than water it down in such ridiculous subject matter like this.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Everyone knows the bad guys wear black and the good guys wear white.

Except for Paladin... dude was the absolute coolest of the wild west heroes. Black hat/intellectual/talk before fighting/fight to win when forced....

... a 3-dimensional hero a little kid could actually get behind.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

I believe racism does in fact exist and is alive and well.

But I believe when it is trivialized and searched for in any lame thing that can be found, like this as an example, it causes the "cry wolf effect" to the point people begin to lose some interest in the subject.

If people concentrated on issues where racism really does exist rather than to try sensationalize it, people would focus on the real issues that exist rather than water it down in such ridiculous subject matter like this.

Agreed.

To this end, it's why I refuse to engage in many "racial/ethnic" discussions. Serious talk about serious topics still has a place in the national discussion, but it's almost impossible to do in today's sensationalized climate.

We still have issues of Gerrymandering, red-lining, ballot manipulation, inequities in education, etc.- all of which have their roots in our segregationist past... but those issues are now treated on equal par with stuff like this thread's subject.

It cheapens Real Talk about real issues and leads to the same entrenched exchange of talking points that get trotted out every time ANY story regarding race comes up.

When I do engage, I try to refrain from the sensational, and look very hard for those who are trying to seriously engage in constructive discourse- but it's increasingly difficult to find those voices amid all the vacuous 'noise' that's out there.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

When I do engage, I try to refrain from the sensational,

Don't sell yourself short, I think most of your posts are sensational.

Quote:

We still have issues of Gerrymandering, red-lining, ballot manipulation, inequities in education, etc.- all of which have their roots in our segregationist past... but those issues are now treated on equal par with stuff like this thread's subject.

It cheapens Real Talk about real issues and leads to the same entrenched exchange of talking points that get trotted out every time ANY story regarding race comes up.

You are correct. It cheapens the conversation and focuses the attention away from real issues... and it arms both sides with talking points. It is very much the story of the boy who cried wolf too often, eventually people stop listening even when the threat is real.

yebat' Putin
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Yours post was fine.... Then you ruined it with the last paragraph and the last sentence of the first.

Most? You're right... Most of the world does still care about skin color.

In India, the lighter skinned you are, the more success you have, they even go so far as to bleach their skin sometimes.

In Asian countries, it's honorable for a woman to marry a white guy, but a lot of families forbid their daughters dating black or Hispanic.

Should I keep going?

The majority doesn't care HERE in the USA. But the rest if the world? It's still a problem.

In India its less skin color and more because they have always used a caste system. They are anti anything not from India. That includes Caucasians too.

Hispanics are looked down on not because of skin color but because they are viewed as being poor and women chasers. They are viewed as not valuing education which goes against everything they believe in. I am not saying they are right but it is true that a lot of Hispanic countries are poor. It's a cultural bigotry not a skin color one.

With African's all they see are the constant brutal wars, mass rapes, murdering of children from wars, and very poor very uneducated people in general. It's not racist to say those thing are happening in African because they are. In America even its not the well educated black man being a great model citizen that is held in high esteem, instead they say he is being too white. They would rather put trash like Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre as their idols. Which is a shame because I know many fine black people who are good people and hard workers.

In Asia in general for you to be accepted you need to show you really value education and also that you have money. It's a money prejudice more than anything else. If you don't have money then your garbage. If your not well educated your garbage.

I'd say the main thing that hurts black people in Asia is that they just stand out too much. You just don't see black people in Asia very much. To Asians its just weird. I am not saying its right or wrong but its just a reality people want their children with their own kind to preserve their culture and heritage. Even if your white they often don't want you anywhere near their daughters. If in China they want their kids to marry Chinese, if Korea they want to keep it Korean, in Japan they want Japanese. It is true that whites are accepted more than blacks but only because they can hide the shame better by 3rd generation. Also, because most white men they see are successful businessmen which is something they admire. Most black people they actually do come across are poor dock workers and sailors. It's hard to change perception when that is mostly what they see.

As for me I have dated the entire rainbow, married a Korean, and have friends from all over the world. If people want to say I am racist then there is just no hope they will ever recover from their ignorance and hatred. I believe skin color has nothing to do with your potential as a human being. I do believe that the culture you come from and how your raised can is what you are mostly going to become. Yes, there are always exceptions but I am talking the norm.

Either way I am tired of people LOOKING for racism where there isn't any. Just because something is white does not mean its anti black.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Thomas & Friends is Racist: Only "good" engines pour out white smoke...

Wow.

Be nice GM be nice

It must be nice for this witch to have nothing better to do than sit around watching kids cartoons, and worry about crap like this while the rest of us hard working folks are busting our ass everyday just to make a living

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Hmm.. I guess Bananas in Pajamas had it right then huh? Identical twins... identical pajamas? Though I wonder if B2 was ever jealous of B1 because it was B1?

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... PC Insanity Alert: Thomas & Friends is racist...

Link Copied to Clipboard