Print Thread
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

Impact of fluoride on neurological development in children

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/fluoride-childrens-health-grandjean-choi/

For years health experts have been unable to agree on whether fluoride in the drinking water may be toxic to the developing human brain. Extremely high levels of fluoride are known to cause neurotoxicity in adults, and negative impacts on memory and learning have been reported in rodent studies, but little is known about the substance’s impact on children’s neurodevelopment. In a meta-analysis, researchers from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and China Medical University in Shenyang for the first time combined 27 studies and found strong indications that fluoride may adversely affect cognitive development in children. Based on the findings, the authors say that this risk should not be ignored, and that more research on fluoride’s impact on the developing brain is warranted.

The study was published online in Environmental Health Perspectives on July 20, 2012.

The researchers conducted a systematic review of studies, almost all of which are from China where risks from fluoride are well-established. Fluoride is a naturally occurring substance in groundwater, and exposures to the chemical are increased in some parts of China. Virtually no human studies in this field have been conducted in the U.S., said lead author Anna Choi, research scientist in the Department of Environmental Health at HSPH.

Even though many of the studies on children in China differed in many ways or were incomplete, the authors consider the data compilation and joint analysis an important first step in evaluating the potential risk. “For the first time we have been able to do a comprehensive meta-analysis that has the potential for helping us plan better studies. We want to make sure that cognitive development is considered as a possible target for fluoride toxicity,” Choi said.

Choi and senior author Philippe Grandjean, adjunct professor of environmental health at HSPH, and their colleagues collated the epidemiological studies of children exposed to fluoride from drinking water. The China National Knowledge Infrastructure database also was included to locate studies published in Chinese journals. They then analyzed possible associations with IQ measures in more than 8,000 children of school age; all but one study suggested that high fluoride content in water may negatively affect cognitive development.

The average loss in IQ was reported as a standardized weighted mean difference of 0.45, which would be approximately equivalent to seven IQ points for commonly used IQ scores with a standard deviation of 15.* Some studies suggested that even slightly increased fluoride exposure could be toxic to the brain. Thus, children in high-fluoride areas had significantly lower IQ scores than those who lived in low-fluoride areas. The children studied were up to 14 years of age, but the investigators speculate that any toxic effect on brain development may have happened earlier, and that the brain may not be fully capable of compensating for the toxicity.

“Fluoride seems to fit in with lead, mercury, and other poisons that cause chemical brain drain,” Grandjean says. “The effect of each toxicant may seem small, but the combined damage on a population scale can be serious, especially because the brain power of the next generation is crucial to all of us.

** Learn more about the IQ measurements by HSPH’s Anna L. Choi and Philippe Grandjean in response to a letter to the journal published in the March 2013 (Vol. 121, No. 3) Environmental Health Perspectives.

– Marge Dwyer

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 07/25/14 01:42 PM.
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
I have suspected this for a very long time just due to fact that the same amount of fluoride you drink in your tap water = the amount you put on your toothbrush, and if you read the warning on your toothpaste, it tells you if you swallow it you should contact a poison control center, and you shouldn't eat the tooth paste.

Luckily, I never grew up drinking water with Fluoride. I had a well under my house growing up, and the place I got now also has a well, so i never had any kind of long-term exposure to drinking water treated with Fluoride....i guess that explains a lot eh? LOL! (I do have great teeth though! )

7 IQ points is a lot though! I may not have graduated high school without them!

Hope everyone is having a good Friday, so glad the weekend starts soon! I thought this was an informative article worth sharing. take care guys/gals!

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 07/25/14 01:43 PM.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I think it'd be interesting to see data that shows average IQs of people that grew up with Fluoride in their water versus those that didn't. Generically, one would think that the IQs in Oregon for example would be higher than those in Ohio. Oregon historically has had mid 20% of the state with fluoridated water while Ohio has had upper 80%.

I know there are many other factors, but it'd still be interesting.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
FWIW...IQ tests only measure the ability to recognize complex patterns. It fails to analyze the other learning modalities such as audial, tactile, kinesthetic, and barely any visual.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
JC

I think there was once a time to have fluoride in drinking water, but that time is really no more. Fluoride is used in so many products that we most likely exceed the RDA without even realizing it.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
It is hard for me to figure out what levels of fluoride they measured as it only seems to say "high" levels produce this. I'm not sure what high means exactly.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, Josh Gordon high or Johnny Manziel high?

Legend
Legend
I don't drink tap water, but I do use a fluoridated toothpaste. That's enough for me.

I also don't use table salt, so I could run low on iodine ..... so I take a low dosage supplement.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The pediatrician for my kids encouraged us to give our kids fluoride enhanced vitamins because the drinking water in NY & NJ doesn't have it and it's good for their tooth development. We stared to and I read a similar study a few years ago and stopped giving my kids the supps. I don't know, I'd rather have bright kids with rotting teeth than the other way around.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
N
Legend
Legend
N
DENTISTS PAID FOR THIS STUDY!!!!!!!

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Lol what a crook. Fluoride is in basically every preservative or anything made out of water (Your bottled water most likely contains Fluoride in it as well). I hope you never visited him again.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I used to go to the dentist as a kid and get those fluoride treatments where they coated your teeth in this nasty, gooey crap. And to think I could have had an IQ of 187.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dislike articles like this.

High Fluoride is a problem and everyone know that.

And nowhere does it define what they mean by high.

In the US, the recommended level of fluoridation is 1 mg/L. Above 2 mg/L and you have to treat the water to remove it. Fluoride levels in water vary across the US and some states add it, while others do not.

Fluoride has a bad name going back to the John Birch days in the late 50's. A little is probably beneficial, but you can go too far.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I'd rather have good teeth and a 93 IQ than bad teeth and a 100 IQ.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

You could always brush your teeth and have a 100 IQ.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

You could always brush your teeth and have a 100 IQ.

That would be the "smart" decision

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Impact of fluoride on neurological development in children

Link Copied to Clipboard