Print Thread
#899570 07/30/14 11:45 PM
F
Frenchy Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
F
Thinking about adding Amazon video. It is $99 for the year, basically the same as I pay Netflix to just stream monthly. We have had Netflix awhile and while my daughter loves it, it has become a little limited to me. Sure there are a lot of things left to watch, but I want more.

Does Amazon video have that? Do they have better movies to stream? Netflix is a little limited streaming.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Thinking about adding Amazon video. It is $99 for the year, basically the same as I pay Netflix to just stream monthly. We have had Netflix awhile and while my daughter loves it, it has become a little limited to me. Sure there are a lot of things left to watch, but I want more.

Does Amazon video have that? Do they have better movies to stream? Netflix is a little limited streaming.

A lot of the stuff is the same. What you get with Amazon (Prime I'm assuming you're talking about) is free two day shipping on amazon items. And that's worth it (in my opinion).

I keep my college prime account open and it renews for like 50$ a year, I get the Amazon video and the two day free shipping. Christmas Time I buy all my items on Discover Card, get 5% back on all purchases, and I buy most of them on Amazon. Make most of it back just on that.

It's wonderful to find something you'd like, but don't want to go to the store to grab (and don't need for two days) and be able to buy it on amazon. I've had very good luck with their open box items too. As for Amazon Instant Video, it's not much different than Netflix, many of the same titles, some different, but it gets old. I got all three though, Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu Plus

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I agree with everything petey said.

I have Amazon prime and honestly I think Netflix is better. I think Netflix has more content.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd take Prime over Netflix but thats based on the free 2 day shipping that comes with it. I purchase a lot of stuff from Amazon.

Basing it solely on the streaming content, Netflix has a larger selection.

check out adfreetime.com. Its $2 a month but you can unlock other country versions of Netflix which have different streaming content. The Canada Netfliz has a lot of stuff the US Netflix doesn't.

Eat it Phil...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Both are about the same. Netflix has Disney, Amazon has Nickelodeon. You will see a few movie studios favor one or the other but beyond that it's mostly the same content on both.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Forgot to mention that Amazon Prime has all of the old HBO content. Which is very nice.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I have Amazon prime and honestly I think Netflix is better. I think Netflix has more content.

Agreed. Netflix's user interface is FAR superior, as well.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
agree with pretty much everything other people have said. the one other thing I'd include is that Amazon Prime let's you pay for some of the premier movies. So, while you might not have it at all on Netflix, you can rent it for a couple bucks on Amazon Prime (of course, every now and then it's free on Netflix and costs $$ on AP).

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I love Amazon prime, it's fantastic. I don't even use their stupid streaming system and wish they would give me a discount for opting out of that trash.

Netflix is way better

O
Legend
Legend
O
Living in an apartment, I also take advantage of Amazon Locker. Instead of shipping to your address, they'll ship to electronic lockers and leave it there for you to pick up. You enter in the code you get in an email, and you can pick up your package (without worrying if the dBags in your apartment complex took the box that was sitting by your door.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
F
Legend
Legend
F
jc..

I have Netflix Blu-Ray, no streaming, because last I checked their streaming movie selection sucked.

How they get new subscribers for streaming is beyond me, I have yet to find anywhere that i can see what they have available. It used to be you could see what was stream-able while looking through selections. But since they split the 2, it no longer informs me of the different viewing options.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Their online offering (imo) falls right in the middle between complete crap and what people were hoping for when they signed up, and this is no different than Netflix.

You want to see crap, go check out Hulu's movie/video offering.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I've yet to find a streaming service that offers all the movies I'm interested in. I have both Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. I wanted to watch Some Like It Hot the other day and neither of them had it included. I could, on Amazon, "rent" that movie for a month for $4. I'm not happy about that as I pay a nice fee, I should have access to their whole library INCLUDED.

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I should have access to their whole library INCLUDED.

To allow instant streaming the carrier has to pay a fee to the studio for the content. The studio doesn't get $$ each time you stream it, there is a flat fee upfront and it usually is set for a period of time. That's why you see stuff leave Amazon/Netflix streaming service from time to time. The cost for Amazon to stream their entire catalog would be so large that your yearly fee would be $1000+ instead of $100. No one would pay for that service.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Depends on the device...

The PS3's interface blows big time. Browser is still very good though...

I actually have both services even though I don't pay for either, lol. My mom gave me her netflix info, and my wife has amazon prime because of how much she buys.

I think the only differences are the exclusive deals nextflix has with AMC, and the exclusive amazon is getting with HBO... Other than that, a lot of the movies are the same.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Quote:

I should have access to their whole library INCLUDED.

To allow instant streaming the carrier has to pay a fee to the studio for the content. The studio doesn't get $$ each time you stream it, there is a flat fee upfront and it usually is set for a period of time. That's why you see stuff leave Amazon/Netflix streaming service from time to time. The cost for Amazon to stream their entire catalog would be so large that your yearly fee would be $1000+ instead of $100. No one would pay for that service.

I get that. But you can't tell me in 7 years of my membership and rotating titles in and out that ALL the titles I've searched (and I check frequently - a gal can hope, right) that they've (Netflix and Amazon both) never had some of the most popular movies ever available to stream included in their catalogue. Seriously, never once have I been able to watch Casablanca or Gone with the Wind from either service. But, oh, I can always rent them at Amazon. I would understand if I was seeking something rare, little heard of nugget to only ever be available to rent.

But two of the famous movies ever made have never been included as part of my streams...in seven years. And I get cost etc. but if you're swapping movies in and out, why never some of those most famous movies ever made. I was THRILLED when Netflix finally got Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, but I lost out on another classic (offhand I can't recall which, I just remember being disappointed it wasn't in my queue any more, but I probably already have the DVDs...I usually do. )

Just a vent...carry on.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Probably because what it would cost to maintain and stream those movies to the one person interested in doing so, you , isn't profitable.

You could probably get those at your local library though.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Already have DVDs. I'm just trying to watch them when I travel for work. I like to watch movies I've seen a bunch of times when I travel. It clears my mind and I don't get too engrossed in them as I've seen them, so I don't care if I fall asleep.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Might want to look into the Blu-Ray + "digital copy" Versions.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Copy-DVD/b?ie=UTF8&node=721726011

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

I didn't realize how true this was until I tried to watch a series on Amazon this week. I really didn't think Amazon could have such a horrible interface. I've done it over my Xbox 360 and my Smart TV and both were just as horrible to use.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Netflix vs Amazon video???

Link Copied to Clipboard