I_Rogue Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I
Cool stuff. Pics and video here...

Comet article

By Sebastian Anthony on August 6, 2014 at 8:09 am

Europe’s Rosetta, after a Hollywood-style chase that lasted more than 10 years and spanned a distance of 4 billion miles, has become the first ever spacecraft to orbit a comet. The ESA’s Rosetta probe will now orbit the comet — dubbed 67P, or affectionately “the rubber duck” – for a few months, in preparation for an even more exciting event later in the year: In November, Rosetta will deploy Philae, the first ever spacecraft to attempt a landing on a comet. Philae carries a bunch of instruments, including a drill, to find out once and for all what actually goes on on a comet — including, hopefully, whether comets really are the vehicle by which prebiotic molecules or early microorganisms spread throughout the early Solar System. Rosetta project scientist Matt Taylor, speaking about today’s successful orbital insertion, sums it up rather succinctly: “For me this is the sexiest, most fantastic mission there’s ever been.”

The Rosetta spacecraft was launched aboard an Ariane 5 rocket way back in March 2004. To reach comet 67P, which orbits the Sun every 6.45 years, Rosetta has traveled a grand total of 6.4 billion kilometers (3.97 billion miles), using the gravity of both Mars and Earth to gather enough speed to sling-shot into the comet’s path. The comet is traveling through space at around 55,000 kph (34,000 mph), but somehow the boffins at the ESA managed to maneuver Rosetta in such a way that, despite playing interstellar catch-up for 10 years, its relative speed is now just 2.2 mph (1 meter per second) faster than the comet. The close relative speed was required for today’s maneuver, which inserted Rosetta into orbit around the comet.

The photo at the top of the story was taken on August 3, just before orbital insertion. It’s pretty awesome when you bear in mind that the comet is only about 2.5 miles across. Seen from one of Earth’s telescopes, it would be nothing more than a one-pixel blur.

Until now, Rosetta hasn’t done much more than chase a comet, and take a series of ever-more-detailed photos of the comet during its approach (as you can see, the comet is shaped rather irregularly, like a rubber duck). Now, however, with Rosetta finally in orbit, things will start to heat up — literally.

One of the primary reasons that 67P was chosen as a target was due to its orbital period. A comet spends most of its life in the cold expanse of deep space — but every few years, it passes by its parent star and starts to melt, shedding tons of ice and dust into space. This is what causes a comet to “bloom” or become fuzzy — and when Earth passes through this debris, called the comet’s coma, it causes a meteor shower. Comet 67P will hit its perihelion — its closest point to the Sun — in August 2015, and Rosetta will have the best seat in the universe.

If all goes to plan, the European Space Agency will also deploy and land the Philae lander on 67P in November 2014. While Rosetta is armed with lots of imagers and spectrometers, Philae has a bunch of its own instruments — and, perhaps most importantly, a big ol’ drill. Philae will drill into the core of the comet to analyze its composition — and the ESA scientists don’t really know what they’ll find. Philae will attach itself to the comet with two harpoon guns, incidentally.

The ESA director general, Jean-Jacques Dordain, was rather excited about today’s successful orbital insertion. “After ten years, five months and four days travelling towards our destination, looping around the Sun five times and clocking up 6.4 billion kilometres, we are delighted to announce finally ‘we are here’.” Matt Taylor, a Rosetta project scientist, spoke a little more frankly. “For me this is the sexiest, most fantastic mission there’s ever been. It’s ticking a number of boxes in terms of fascination, exploration, technology and science – predominantly science.”

As for what scientific data Rosetta and Philae will actually return, we’ll have to wait and see. Considering this is the first time that humanity has orbited or landed on a comet, and the hypothesis that comets may have played an important role in the distribution of life (or at least the building blocks of life) around the Solar System, we could be in for some very interesting findings indeed.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
can't wait to read more about what rosetta uncovers

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

“For me this is the sexiest, most fantastic mission there’s ever been.”

Cool story for sure, but man i hate when this adjective gets applied to inappropriate situations. Sounds so douchey.

Last edited by clevesteve; 08/06/14 09:59 AM.
Legend
Legend
I just wanna be alive when we truly discover aliens.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
I
I_Rogue Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

Quote:

Cool story for sure, but man i hate when this adjective gets applied to inappropriate situations. Sounds so douchey.

(In my best Jerry Seinfeld voice) Its European!

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
Legend
Legend
It would be cool to be able to land on a comet, and see exactly what it is made up of.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Didnt u see life force, its made up of sexy naked vampire women

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

No doubt.

I mean, like it's actually bigger that The Blues Brothers "Mission From God" or somethin.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It would be cool to be able to land on a comet, and see exactly what it is made up of.

And then blow it up.

yebat' Putin
F
Legend
Legend
F
Spoiler alert..

They land on the comet, the begin to drill the hole, the driller breaks, the other party comes along, saves the day, they drop the nuke, realize the auto-detonation isn't going to work, the dad stays behind to blow it, while sending the boyfriend he wasn't sure he liked home to the daughter.

Aerosmith writes a song for it.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Spoiler alert..

They land on the comet, the begin to drill the hole, the driller breaks, the other party comes along, saves the day, they drop the nuke, realize the auto-detonation isn't going to work, the dad stays behind to blow it, while sending the boyfriend he wasn't sure he liked home to the daughter.

Aerosmith writes a song for it.

This is, of course, after sending 7 guys into space who have no training other than about a 10 day cram course in being an astronaut.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
The video at the bottom of the article was amazing.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
F
Legend
Legend
F
I don't even know how they figure all this out for timing, trajectories, etc. Damn the amount of brain power must be exhausting.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well if we do find aliens on it they sent the right spacecraft to do it cause with the Rosetta (Stone) you too will be able to speak their language.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't even know how they figure all this out for timing, trajectories, etc. Damn the amount of brain power must be exhausting.

No doubt. I know computers can do a lot of the work, but I'd bet someone also did the work longhand using Newton and Einstein's formulas to be 100% sure. Not an easy task.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

No doubt. I know computers can do a lot of the work, but I'd bet someone also did the work longhand using Newton and Einstein's formulas to be 100% sure. Not an easy task.

Nah, they just played Kerbal Space Program for a few weeks.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

To be fair ... this is probably the closest the nerd will get to any action for a long time.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

To be fair ... this is probably the closest the nerd will get to any action for a long time.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... European Spacecraft becomes first to orbit a comet

Link Copied to Clipboard