Print Thread
#912501 01/06/15 08:07 PM
S
Squires Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
A new year and more channel disputes with Directv causing channels not to be available. I'm getting tired of this. Thinking of switching providers in the short term, but ultimately thinking of ditching cable altogether. To be honest, Sunday ticket is the only reason I have kept Directv. If the Browns ever get good, I'd imagine they'd get more coverage on the local channels.

What is everything I need to consider for going cable free? I have netflix, some shows are available on demand or hulu, others on respective station website, but not everything. Trying to avoid adding a bunch of small subscriptions that could add up to just as much as cable.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
D
Legend
Legend
D
I think you're confused bro... DirectTv is satellite, not cable. I think you're wondering how to ditch your dish and satellite setup?

Legend
Legend
I switched from cable in 95 to Dish, switched from Dish to DTV in 99 when the Browns came back. I've been with them ever since. I'm completely happy with them.

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
I switched from cable in 95 to Dish, switched from Dish to DTV in 99 when the Browns came back. I've been with them ever since. I'm completely happy with them.

Similar to me, except I lagged a few years behind. I didn't get DirecTV until I moved to New York in 2004. Before moving, I had Dish Network after dumping cable. I would never go back to cable. When I decide to ditch my satellite TV, it will be to drop all TV viewing completely.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: anarchy2day
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Similar to me, except I lagged a few years behind. I didn't get DirecTV until I moved to New York in 2004. Before moving, I had Dish Network after dumping cable. I would never go back to cable. When I decide to ditch my satellite TV, it will be to drop all TV viewing completely.

I have DirecTV, and it's OK. However, I don't see a huge difference between DirecTV and Time Warner. I still have Time Warner for my mom. If I call them, I talk to a recording, then to a person. If I call DirecTV, I talk to a recording, then to a person. I was tired of the high bill with Time Warner, and told them I was going to leave them for DirecTV, and they cut me a deal. I was shocked with how much my DirecTV bill went up when my deal ended, and called the I was going to leave them, and they cut me a deal ..... that never showed up on my bill. I was furious, because I agreed to a new 2 year deal with the better terms they offered me, and the guy didn't out any of it through. He didn't even put through the stuff he had in his notes into affect, and he "missed" putting the other discounts, that he evidently had no ability to offer, into effect. I was going to drop them, and dold them that I better not have an early termination fee on my bill. They put me through to a supervisor at that point, and she immediately offered me a $45 discount on top of the rest of the ones that should have been on my bill. It was stupid. (though I'll take it) Instead of the $40 the 1st guy told me I would get, I wound up with $65 in discounts. That was good, but having to go through over an hour of grief with them was a real pain.

I really wouldn't put one all that much, if at all, above the other. They both have their positives and negatives, and each can be a huge pain in the butt when they want to be.

I did ditch cable/satellite completely for about 3-4 years. I lived off of watching shows online. It wasn't that bad. There are probably more available online now, and some are starting to experiment with completely new online systems, like CBS with their new "All Access", where you can watch their network live online. I don't know why anyone would pay for that, but it may lead to other networks doing the same, or maybe even networks offering access to their entire family of networks live on a computer. They currently offer their live CBS broadcasts online in only a limited number of markets.

It may be interesting to see where it heads. Maybe 2 years from now, if this kind of thing takes off, I will be able to say goodbye to DirecTV as well as Time Warner, and select access to the 6 or 7 networks I ever watch. .

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I flip between Dtv and TWC every couple years. They are both about the same and always have better prices when you comeback. I all but begged DTV to give me a sweet deal after my last contract and they said they couldn't because I was an existing customer. I ditched them and 3 days later they offered me the deal to switch back! When I asked why I couldn't have that deal 3 days ago they said because I was an existing customer... I stayed with TWC.

Next year I might switch back if they do that 2 years of NFL Ticket again. But I don't miss it and wouldn't pay what they ask for it either.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
When talking to direct tv, always ask to speak to the customer retention department, they can do much more for you than the people that initially answer the phone.

#GMSTRONG
F
Legend
Legend
F
I got tired of having to pay for extra tiers on Comcast to get the HD version of channels I get with DTV included.

Comcast: You want NFL network, that's the sports package for 5.99
Me: OK I'll pay that.
Comcast: Do you want the HD version or just SD?
Me: HD of course.
Comcast: That's 4.99 more a month.
Me: What? I already pay for the HD package.
Comcast: That's for the basic tier, the 4.99 is for the sports package in HD.
Me: What about the Discovery Channel and History Channels in HD?
Comcast: An additional 3.99 for the HD versions.
Me: Do you charge for an HD version of your channel guide too?
Comcast: I dont know what channel that is sir?
CLick..

Me: Hello, DirecTV, I'd like to sign up for service.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
As someone else mentioned, Direct TV is satilite.

Anyway, I dropped TWC in Sept 2013 and have been happy ever since.

Saves me some money. Picture quality is great. And even up here in NE Ohio, we don't lose signal enough to worry about it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I dumped it all more than a year ago. Just have regular rabbit ears & Netflix/Amazon now.

I don't miss it a bit. I've learned that I just don't care about seeing a show the day it airs, and I spend most of my TV time watching movies or episodes of older shows (currently watching American Horror Story & Dexter).

Additionally, for anything where I do feel the need to watch something immediately, there are always torrents.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

S
Squires Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
As someone else mentioned, Direct TV is satilite.

Anyway, I dropped TWC in Sept 2013 and have been happy ever since.

Saves me some money. Picture quality is great. And even up here in NE Ohio, we don't lose signal enough to worry about it.

My use of the word cable was meant to be general, referring to any cable/satelite provider.

If this directv/nbc dispute keeps up, the super bowl will be blacked out for me. Will be interesting to see if one side will fold before then. A Lot of bars use directv. Black out the super bowl would lead to a lot of angry customers.

Around here I have an option for Century Link Prism, might give that a try, but I think my end goal is to ditch everything like ytown did and just stream everything. I'm just curious as to what people use to get their shows.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Before I came to Germany, I was without cable for 3 years or so. I didn't miss it. I could pick up the locals in HD with my antenna. I used a video capture card and Windows Media Center combined with Xbox's used as extenders to have a whole house DVR system and it worked great.

Additionally I had ripped our entire movie collection and we were able to watch that through WMC as well.

We subscribed to Netflix and Hulu Plus. Anything I couldn't get between those avenues, I sought out a legal way to pay for them... amazon, xbox video, etc.

The only cases I couldn't find it via something I already paid for, or by paying for episodes/season passes of the show, would be something on HBO or Showtime.

So long story short, for my internet connection, $14/month for netflix/hulu, and maybe another 10-15/month via episode purchases and rentals, I was quite happy...

I got cable again right before I came to Germany to make things easier as I use a slingbox to access it. When we return, I plan on dumping the cable part of it again.

Last edited by YepTheBrownsRule; 01/07/15 10:33 AM.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
I am dumping cable/satellite soon and have been preparing for it.

Fire-TV box w/ Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime
Amplified Antenna for local HD channels
MLB.TV
NFL Replay

NBA league pass is expensive and I didn't get it this year, but it's a very good online package as well.

So, that just leaves ESPN channels. And, DISH is going to be selling an online-only package separate from everything else for $20/month (ESPN channels, TNT, HGTV, History, CNN, Cartoon Network).

So, that takes care of the college sports. The only thing I think my family will miss is the Disney Channels, but those can be seen just not the current season, so I think it's good.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I dumped it all more than a year ago. Just have regular rabbit ears & Netflix/Amazon now.

I don't miss it a bit. I've learned that I just don't care about seeing a show the day it airs, and I spend most of my TV time watching movies or episodes of older shows (currently watching American Horror Story & Dexter).

Additionally, for anything where I do feel the need to watch something immediately, there are always torrents.

Ditto, went this route 3 months ago and I'm not looking back. After Time Warner told me it would cost more to go to basic cable from my digital bundle. I scoffed and said just give me internet only. I'm really not missing it at all, especially since I have a friend's password for watch ESPN.

Me > Time Warner

Yes Google chromecast, you are my new best friend.

Legend
Legend
I am on TWC. Been looking at cutting back or tossing it as I think you are or might or will do.

I have service issues and cost concerns, and we take no premium channels. I am interested in this thread, but could you specify what you are leaving behind or plan to do a wee bit more?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Who do you use for internet access

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
F
Legend
Legend
F

Is your NBC not a local channel?

I still have mine, no dispute I am aware of.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
S
Squires Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

Is your NBC not a local channel?

I still have mine, no dispute I am aware of.

It's not every where. The dispute is with Cordillera Communications. They have various markets in Colorado, Montana, Texas, Arizona, California, Kentucky and Louisiana.

Legend
Legend
Only thing keeping me with TWC is live sports. If I could find a way to watch the NFL, college football, and NCAA basketball live online (that was reliable), I'd ditch TWC very fast.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: brownsfansince79
Only thing keeping me with TWC is live sports. If I could find a way to watch the NFL, college football, and NCAA basketball live online (that was reliable), I'd ditch TWC very fast.

Not nearly as hard as you would think. I'm kind of off of cable. My housemates have it and occasionally I'll chip in on the bill.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Originally Posted By: brownsfansince79

Not nearly as hard as you would think. I'm kind of off of cable. My housemates have it and occasionally I'll chip in on the bill.

The fact that I missed so many sporting events was one thing that led me back to the big boys for my TV. I never felt right watching broadcasts online illegally. I have my mom's cable in my name, and I have my internet, also through TWC ...... so I could watch ESPN's online service, once they made it available to TWC customers ..... about the time I had DirecTV installed. crazy rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'm glad I don't share that moral dilemma tongue

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
I always made the effort to get it legally, as long as it didn't involve having cable.

Now ESPN and a handful of channels will be available through SlingTV which solves a lot of the live sports problems people have. It's a bit pricey, but its an option. Also, a lot of cable providers now have a "hidden" plan that will be called something like "internet plus" which usually included your local channels and HBO for a pretty decent price, for those who love HBO.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I used dish back when it was a dish you know 16 foot round giant dish in your yard and all programming was free.Once those good times ended I went to cable and have no plans of ever changing back.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've got U-Verse. We were debating dropping everything for a long time after having DirecTV, Dish and TWC (and having problems with each) before we bought our house. When we bought our house, the U-Verse local hub was on the property, so we said we'd give it a try. Picture is awesome, internet speeds are great, price is good (as long as you remember to call and tell them you're leaving every six months). I know its not available everywhere, but if it is in your area, I recommend it.

[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Living in Tennessee, the only way I can watch the Browns live is through DirecTV. I have no plans to change that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
I'm glad I don't share that moral dilemma tongue

thumbsup

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Anyone ditched cable?

Link Copied to Clipboard