#914773 01/12/15 03:47 PM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/alvin-dupree-vs-south-carolina-2014/

vs South Carolina:

Soft player, not interested in the physical aspect of the game. Will get eaten up vs the run. Lacks hustle once action goes elsewhere. Has a good get off burst, but not much else after that. Has some showboat boy language. Seems more interested in flash stats than playing team friendly, smart, situational football.

How this guy is supposed to be a 1st rounder is beyond me. Reminded me of Jarvis Jones. Off of this game, I would not want to invest a top 100 pick on him. He's size/speed, but doesn't play smart or tough. Situational player or longshot project.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
I really liked how he sets the edge in the run game and I thought he had good pass rush ability though it was mostly in his legs and as you mentioned not his arms. He is not good and getting off blocks and making tackles, though.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: DjangoBrown

vs South Carolina:

I would not want to invest a top 100 pick on him. He's size/speed, but doesn't play smart or tough. Situational player or longshot project.

Sounds perfect for us at 19 tsktsk

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg

vs South Carolina:

I would not want to invest a top 100 pick on him. He's size/speed, but doesn't play smart or tough. Situational player or longshot project.

Sounds perfect for us at 19 tsktsk

Only if he also had attitude and work ethic issues

{purple}

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I disagree with basically everything.

Ill go into more detail later.

Legend
Legend
I was wondering when you would chime in, Top. thought I must be missing something when I saw Djangos post. he's probably my favorite of the first round rated guys at OLB, but I still can't convince myself to take him over Parker, but I'd love to hear what you have to say about him. TIA.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dupree is my favorite DE/OLB in this draft. He has long arms a terrific bend. Nice burst, constantly upgrading his game. Drops effectively in the passing game, sets a strong edge. Has one of the best motors of anyone in this draft and is a strong team leader. I think he has Kam Wimberly's body and a Robert Mathis type of game. Tremendous upside. I think he goes top 15 when all is said and done and someone that will be on our Radar come draft day.

He is just now physically starting to come into his own.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
I really liked how he sets the edge in the run game and I thought he had good pass rush ability though it was mostly in his legs and as you mentioned not his arms. He is not good and getting off blocks and making tackles, though.

Not to be contray but how can he set the edge and not be able to get off blocks and make tackles?

He seems soft and will get mauled by tackles and also get pinned inside... see Mingo and Sheard.

Not arguing, just lookig for what you ( and others)see that I dont. You guys do much more in depth study than I can.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

Not to be contray but how can he set the edge and not be able to get off blocks and make tackles?

He seems soft and will get mauled by tackles and also get pinned inside... see Mingo and Sheard.

Not arguing, just lookig for what you ( and others)see that I dont. You guys do much more in depth study than I can.

Maybe my perception is wrong, but setting the edge is just getting in position to turn the play upfield and back into the defenders so the runner can't get to the outside of the defense, allowing the team to converge for the tackle. Not necessarily making the tackle yourself. Anyways, that's what I'm talking about when I say that. What I saw was him consistently turning the runner's path back inside to the team D and not letting him slip around the corner like so many of these guys have problems with. Fowler especially (and disappointingly) was bad at it to the point that the announcers were even commenting on it in one of the videos I saw... and they weren't even focused on just him like I was watching it.

Anyways, that's what I was getting at. Thanks for asking for clarification.

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
So I went back and watched the Louisville game after you guys posted some good things about him and I'm sorry to say that I still see a wannabe player that lacks a lot of basics (tackling) without doing the little things. Watch the tape, he IS NOT effective on a consistent play by play basis. His best plays are of the unblocked variety. He's Jarvis Jones all over again.

I think Dupree is shaping up to be my first "incredibly overrated" player of this poor class for pass rushers. Would not even burn a 3rd or 4th for him let alone a 1st.

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane...

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
I really am not sold on a single one of these OLB prospects as a first rounder... that's why the guys for me at the position are Golden or Odighizuwa. Of course, CBS's trajectory now makes it seem like OO could be a first rounder... he was ranked around 110 or so before the bowl game now they have him all the way up to 53. Devonte Fields' talent is tempting but I'm growing pretty weary of knuckleheads.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I watched the UK-South Carolina cutup.

I saw nothing from Dupree other than a body on the field.

vs the pass:

He got no pressure at all despite only being single blocked all day.

Dropped into coverage a couple times. I only saw zone coverage but the guy in his zone was wide open. I didn't see any plays where he was asked to cover in man coverage.

He did have an interception for a td. Basically he got lucky. One of the other lineman get his hand on a pass at the line of scrimmage. The ball popped up and fortuitously fell into his hands.

He also got an unsportsman like penalty after an interception by another player.

vs the run:

Saw a lot of standing around
Lost the edge on several plays
A horrible tackler
His best tackle was when he was laying on the ground and the running back tripped over him

My conclusions:

Based on this ONE game, I wouldn't even consider drafting him in the 7th round.
The Browns will likely take him in round 1

Legend
Legend
yikes, guess I better take a look at that one.

Really, I'm not into any of these guys in the first (like I said earlier). Shame, because a pass rusher is what we need on D.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not seeing what you're seeing, Django. Watched the Missouri, Louisville, and South Carolina cutups and he didn't seem to be avoiding contact to me. He looked plenty physical. If anything his opponents seem to avoid him. Almost every run was called to the opposite side of the field from him. When they did run towards him I saw a forced fumble and a 2 yard gain. He did get caught inside on a counter once that I saw. He's got great burst off the line and seems to get consistent pressure. He doesn't always get to the quarterback, but that seemed mainly because Kentucky's DBs play a lot of soft coverage and the opponents were (wisely) running lots of quick hitters. On the deeper route concepts he seemed to be the one moving the QB off his mark, and he did have the nice strip sack his teammate returned for a TD. He seemed comfortable in a 2 point stance and fluid in space. Unfortunately, when he was dropped in zone coverage Kentucky got zero pressure and the qb could sit and wait for receivers to clear his zone. Seemed to do a good job reading the qb's eyes.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
I respectfully disagree. That's the beauty of evaluating prospects, lots of differing opinions. Anyone can watch those plays and decide for themselves.

I'll just highlight the play at 5:45 in the South Carolina cutup. This one went for a game tying TD, but he has plenty of those where he either takes the play off or doesn't seem interested making the tackle.

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Alvin Dupree has now officially become the most controversial prospect of the 2015 NFL Draft on this board.

Wow, what a wide variety of opinion on this kid. I only watched the SC game and was not impressed in the least. I may have to go back and look at a couple more of his games.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
he has plenty of those where he either takes the play off or doesn't seem interested making the tackle.

I see a lot of that too.

I watched the Missou game cutup

If you want to like Dupree watch from about 6:55-9

Starts with a play where he is quick off the ball, knives between 2 blockers then causes the Rb to fumble. Next play he gets pressure on the Qb. Misses the sack but then ultimately gets a sack when the Qb scrambles around and circles back into him. Around 8:55 a RB tries to go wide on him and he chases him down.

Other than these 3 plays there wasn't much to like. I didn't see him shed a single block (this game or the SC game). Most of his pressures came unblocked. The Missouri RT struggled with him but that guy is really a slow lumbering lineman. Dupree was easily blocked out of running plays on 2-3 occasion by #10. Looked up #10 and it looks like he is a 6'5 #240 freshman TE.

There are 3 screens run his way. The 1st 2 he has zero recognition. Looks like he doesn't know they were screens even after the play if over. On the 3rd screen he does read it really nicely.

At the 5:56 mark he gets pressure and the Qb but totally gets jukes out by him.

And Grimm - they do run several plays right at him. He just gets blocked so far out of the play that you don't recognize it.

After watching the SC game and the Missou game, I don't want this guy. I can see the physical potential. He could be a great player if he set his mind to it but he spends 90% of his time on the field (for lack of a better word) lollygagging.

I would probably take a chance on him in the 6th/7th round but definitely not the 1st 2 days of the draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not seeing the easily blocked out of running plays. It looks to me like he's setting the edge and forcing the run back inside. If the back ever tried to take the ball to the outside that's when he would want to shed and attack, but the back never even tried to bounce it outside in his direction. What you and Django see as taking plays off/disinterest, I see as playing disciplined and sticking to his assignment and not overpursuing and leaving the backside of the play wide open. I do have some concern about his block shedding because there weren't many opportunities for him to show it, but I didn't see anything glaringly bad about it. You say they run several plays right at him, but I'm not seeing them. I see several inside zone runs where he's forcing the back to the DT/ILBs and they're just getting wrecked, but that's not his fault.

Are you counting the play at the 5:56 mark as a positive or a negative? I count pressure as a positive. He got the QB off his mark. QB's feeling the heat make mistakes. In the NFL, he'll have teammates who can capitalize on his pressure causing the QB to tuck it.

I'll have to look for the screens again, but I don't remember him looking like he had no idea what was going on (zero recognition). You have to take into account what his assignment was. I think he was rushing the passer the first two and tried to get in the passing lane to make the qb throw over him, which should give the ILB in man coverage on the back more time to get there. Unfortunately, the rest of his D looked pretty mediocre.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Re the 5:56 play. I wasn't trying to count it as a good play or bad play. Just reporting what I saw for people who don't have time to watch the videos. I would count it as a good play that raises an eyebrow. If that makes sense.

As for the plays run at him. I can see that he is trying to hold the edge but he gets so wide and so deep that it creates a huge whole with little effort from the blocker. jmo.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 DE/OLB Alvin Dupree

Link Copied to Clipboard