Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://news.yahoo.com/one-killed-five-wounded-shooting-spree-phoenix-suburb-012004313.html

MESA, Ariz. (Reuters) - A gunman opened fire inside a motel room in the Phoenix suburb of Mesa on Wednesday, killing a man and wounding two women before shooting three more people as he sought to elude an exhaustive manhunt that ended in his capture, police said.

Officers using a stun gun subdued the suspected gunman, identified as Ryan Elliot Giroux, 41, at a vacant condominium where he had taken refuge, some four hours after the initial shooting, Mesa police spokesman Esteban Flores told reporters.

"At this time we believe he is responsible for each and every one of these shootings," Flores said. Police said the motive for the rampage was still unclear but that the initial gunfire erupted following an argument at the motel.

By Wednesday evening, police were serving multiple search warrants at several locations, Flores said.

He said Giroux had been "asking for something in particular," but that police did not know if it was drugs.

View galleryDeadly shooting in Mesa, Arizona
Police patrol and detective cars line the front of the Tri-City Inn, which was the first location of …
Local NBC affiliate 12 News showed a man being led out of the residential complex in a white full-body suit, his wrists shackled, and taken to a local hospital.

"That is something investigators use if they’re going to be protecting his clothing for evidence," Flores said of the suit.

Giroux, of Mesa, "lives a transient lifestyle," he said.

A hospital official confirmed to Reuters that Giroux was treated at Banner Desert Medical Center in Mesa on Wednesday and released into police custody.

Anti-hate group the Southern Poverty Law Center, citing a retired Mesa police detective, identified Giroux as a member of skinhead and white supremacist groups who had served prison time for burglary, marijuana possession and attempted aggravated assault.

View galleryDeadly shooting in Mesa, Arizona
Tanya Ehrig, 27, cries for victims of a shooting as she holds her child Trinity in Mesa, Ariz., on W …
Flores said Giroux has "an extensive criminal background," but that police have not yet confirmed he has white supremacist ties.

Wednesday's violence began at the Tri City Inn in Mesa when the gunman opened fire on a man and two women following some kind of altercation, then fled to a nearby restaurant where he shot and wounded a student while carjacking another person's vehicle, Flores said.

He then drove to two nearby apartment complexes, shooting one person at each, Flores said.

The man shot in the motel died, and one of the surviving victims was in critical condition at a Phoenix-area hospital as of Wednesday evening, police said.

"We still don't know if he's going to survive," Flores said.

View galleryRyan Elliot Giroux is seen in an undated picture from …
Ryan Elliot Giroux is seen in an undated picture from the Arizona Department of Corrections. Giroux …
Authorities did not immediately release information on the remaining victims.

Tanya Ehrig, who said her sister was present at the motel when gunfire erupted there, told local ABC 15 News that her sister's boyfriend was killed in that altercation.

"I seen this whole thing blocked off and I couldn’t get a hold of her. I couldn’t call her, I thought something was wrong with her. And she (later) told me that her boyfriend got shot and now he’s gone,” Ehrig said.

Arizona Governor Doug Ducey said in a statement he had spoken to the mayor of Mesa and offered resources, including from the Department of Public Safety.

(The story was refiled to paragraph 12, to say "another person's vehicle" from "the man's vehicle" to make clear the person carjacked was not the student who was shot)

(Reporting by David Schwartz in Mesa and Alex Dobuzinskis and Dan Whitcomb in Los Angeles; Writing by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Cynthia Johnston, Lisa Lambert, Bill Trott, Eric Beech, Mohammad Zargham and Sharon Bernstein)

So how come guys like him don't get shot by the cops?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I have no idea, it doesn't really give any information on how he was apprehended.

yebat' Putin
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I bet had he pointed his gun at the cops or rushed them he would have been killed.

A
Rookie
Rookie
A
I live out here in Mesa. I've driven through that area several times, luckily I was nowhere near there yesterday morning

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

I have no idea, it doesn't really give any information on how he was apprehended.

Well it says they uesd a Stun Gun. is that like a taser?

Anyway, it does say that.

Last edited by Damanshot; 03/20/15 10:36 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish

Obviously because he's white. Do you feel better now?

He either gave up, didn't have a visible weapon, or didn't have a weapon when the cops caught up to him. That would mean the cops followed protocol, just like they did in other cases.

Personally, I would prefer people like this scumbag did get shot by the cops.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell

I agree. The scumbag that shot up the Colorado movie theater a few years back hasn't even gone to trial yet.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Squires
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell

I agree. The scumbag that shot up the Colorado movie theater a few years back hasn't even gone to trial yet.

They are interviewing 9000 potential jurors to find some unbiased ones. 9000!

The last time I was at jury duty I was part of the jury selection for a murder trial. They interviewed about 40 of us and it took all day. I have no idea how they plan to interview 9000. That's just crazy.

No Craps Given
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... One killed, five wounded in shooting spree in Phoenix suburb

Link Copied to Clipboard