Next Thread
Print Thread
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Maybe for good reason but this is not me thinking of what to do - I'm thinking of Pettine.

I know we just signed a two year temp in Williams for the next two years probably. And our last years pick was Gilbert but there is some uncertainty on him.

What if we have our pick on the best CB in this draft? Pick 12 comes up and no CBs were taken. I am just wondering cause of the importance that Pettine has on CBs in his system. Like the Giants of old when they kept drafting DE's in the first round they were mocked by all...and the Giants ended up laughing all the way to the Super Bowl.

Personally I'm not a strength in the perimeter type of guy. But I understand and Cover Corners are hard to keep cause contracts go so high.

Not likely situation.

But I would not be overly surprised if it does happen only because we have that 2nd First round pick.

jmho - ME can't have too many Pass Rushers...would love if Gregory is there.

Last edited by eotab; 03/20/15 09:18 AM.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Their isn't a CB in this draft worth either of our 1st rnd picks. The highest rated CB in this draft is Trae Waynes and he's not as talented as his former teammate Darqueze Dennard who didn't go till pick 24 in last years draft. The CB class this year is below average.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
I'm pretty sure (never 100%, can't really be) that they intend to go with what they got and hope they pick up another late round or UDFA gem.

I've been thinking that Gilbert will be ok. Something wasn't right with him last season. Not sure what that was or what his problem was (Pettine refered to it but no specifics)

He's got the physical talent. now it's a matter of putting it to work.

Just a guess, but I think he'll be good.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont have a single member of the secondary with a first round grade. they will go in the first cause thre just isnt anything there later either. but if we spend a first on anyone in the secondary farmer should be fired.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I actually would like to see us trade one of our 1st round picks for a 1st next year if the opporunity arises. I think unless we can get one of the big receivers at 12, Lets trade that for a 1st next year and a pick this year. This will give us a chance to get Cardale next year if Manziel bust out. JMO There is more depth in the draft than actual top playmakers I believe and I would love to get a OT at 19 and solidify our OL and DL with a couple picks. I think then next year we get Cardale and we have something the tools for him to succeed. We will have two rb's, a great Oline, viable WR's and a good/possible great defense.

Legend
Legend

Why a corner?

We have corners. At pick 12 you go BPA. Not best corner available.

There are plenty of choices that could help this team more than drafting another corner.

In addition Gilbert is under contract. He was their top selection last year. He needs to play. If he can earn the time.

The only position that the Browns need to continue their search for no matter what is quarterback.

I don't care about Manziel, Weeden, McCoy, Quinn etc.

Get it right.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: eotab
Maybe for good reason but this is not me thinking of what to do - I'm thinking of Pettine.

I know we just signed a two year temp in Williams for the next two years probably. And our last years pick was Gilbert but there is some uncertainty on him.

What if we have our pick on the best CB in this draft? Pick 12 comes up and no CBs were taken. I am just wondering cause of the importance that Pettine has on CBs in his system. Like the Giants of old when they kept drafting DE's in the first round they were mocked by all...and the Giants ended up laughing all the way to the Super Bowl.

Personally I'm not a strength in the perimeter type of guy. But I understand and Cover Corners are hard to keep cause contracts go so high.

Not likely situation.

But I would not be overly surprised if it does happen only because we have that 2nd First round pick.

EO.... I don't know what it is but I look at the top pass rushers and it seems like Mingo clones. Speed rushing outside move but a little one trick pony-ish.

That being said, if Beasley somehow slipped to 19.....

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Canada, Mingo types shine in the right system. Not only can they pass rush they cover backs and TEs. Trick is having a pretty stout DL. A Mingo type is not very good taking on blockers.

T
Legend
Legend
T
None of it matters if they don't fix the offense. Corners hardly touch the ball any times a game. And I'm going to say it again, They could have all hall of famers on defense and if this inept offense keeps giving the ball back to the other team, time after time, after time again,

Then the Browns will not only lose the games they could win, or should win, or may have lucked into winning, but also

The Hall of famers on the Browns defense will eventually give up huge plays and huge scores to the other team.

You simply can't win with a lousy offense. Not even with an average offense. Not even with a pretty good offense. You have to have an offense that arguably is spectacular, so sometimes when they play bad, they still can suck it up and have a pretty good performance, enough to pull out a win.

And it won't matter how much you invest into the defense, your defense will be lousy until you have an offense, of some sort. that can hold up its end of the bargain.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: eotab

Not likely situation.

I would be surprised under any circumstance if we took a corner in Rd 1 at this time and this draft. However that's an interesting question.

How about you swap safety for corner in the question? If THE top safety is still there at #19?

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Why a corner?
We have corners. At pick 12 you go BPA. Not best corner available.

I explained why a Corner. Also I am basing it on our Board (Pettine's and Farmer's) that one of them is the BPA.

This is not my recommendation, advise, prediction. I just have been trying to study Pettine's Defense and he has a premium value to Cover Corners. I too personally believe/hope Gilbert is going to impress all - heck I hope he starts over Williams meaning he studded out in camps and won the starting position.

I am well aware of the investment last season. Just the way good DCs sometimes view the team is a certain position they value as KEY to their Defense - then they stock up with good ones with the concept of you can't have too many.

Also the fact we have two Picks in the first round you can double dip like that on a position. But please give my scenario a little more credit. This scenario would only be there if they have the CB as BPA which is my point.

Pretty much all I'm saying. There are a few guys I like. Schreff, Malcomb Brown, Gregory, I got a weird good feeling about that WR Beckham as long as he didn't fail a substance test at the combine. Also I sort of like Sammy Coates I have no idea why he isn't talked about more.

I know who I don't like. I only saw one tape on him the big guy Shelton from Wash.? Full game tape of Hawaii - I didn't see a quick step at all - no penetration and he stood up on just about every play.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I'd be extremely upset if we took any DB in the first round.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
I think we go DE or ILB with the first pick....

<><

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Swish

Yeah, I don't want any douche bags either.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Swish

Yeah, I don't want any douche bags either.

rofl
We already have a couple associated with this team, so I would say our depth is solid there.

One who won't stop smoking weed and another who floated on inflatable swans and talked into money phones.

#gmstrong.
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Ive always been a guy that says you build a team with corners or Olineman. But I would not spend either of our 1st rd picks on a CB or Safety for that matter, with this years draft.

We may just have the best safety tandmen in the AFC. My only concern is depth at safety. WE have 3 young guys that have shown talent or flashed last year at the corner spot. I dont see us taking any corners until the later rounds.

I would hope that Gilbert gets his head on straight and would rely on my coaches to develop atleast 1 of the 3 into starting material.

Legend
Legend

I get the that the defense we run is based upon corner play.

There had to be a reason behind last years draft trade with Buffalo. (Although I hated the trade at that time and still do.)

This year there seems to be a lack of top end talent at corner. Outside of Trae Waynes I don't know of others being talked about. However, this year I have not really gotten into the draft like years in the past.

It just seems to me like the Browns have more to address than CB's.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think there is a single unit on this team that the Browns don't need to consider upgrading if the opportunity is there. It really is a matter of degree in that the OL is one of the last things that needs upgraded, more for depth than anything.. and the DL/WR are at the top in what needs upgraded... that doesn't mean you pass on a stud LB or CB if one presents himself.... because we could always use that too.

In the end, we need impact players at whatever position we can find them... Great players find a way to make a team better, even if it's not identified as a real position of need.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

I don't think there is a single unit on this team that the Browns don't need to consider upgrading if the opportunity is there. It really is a matter of degree in that the OL is one of the last things that needs upgraded, more for depth than anything.. and the DL/WR are at the top in what needs upgraded... that doesn't mean you pass on a stud LB or CB if one presents himself.... because we could always use that too.

In the end, we need impact players at whatever position we can find them... Great players find a way to make a team better, even if it's not identified as a real position of need.

Yep. Great players always have value, and they always find, and impact, the field.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season The NFL Draft 2015 Something not even mentioned.

Link Copied to Clipboard