Print Thread
#967277 06/14/15 10:27 AM
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I make a motion that we ditch "Quick Reply" from the board. I see lots of posters using it to reply to a specific post, but instead it looks like they replied to the poster that started the thread, not the person they were trying to reply to.

I say we get rid of it. Do I hear a second?

Dave #967284 06/14/15 11:12 AM
Legend
Legend
I'm with you on this one. It only saves one button click and really does add to the confusion. I'm not able to be on the boards throughout the day anymore, and when reading the last few posts of a thread it takes a lot of reading and scrolling to figure out who they were responding to. There have been people responding to my posts that I initially missed also. The people who start threads have a difficult time wondering if a person is actually responding to them or just hit the quick reply.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dave #967303 06/14/15 02:36 PM
Legend
Legend
All you have to do is click the Quick Reply link under the post you want to reply to and then use the Quick Reply box, and it'll show you're replying to them..

If you just start typing in the box, it will reply to the OP.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #967333 06/14/15 06:42 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah, It really isn't that hard.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #967666 06/15/15 02:58 AM
Legend
Legend
My favorite part is being able to hit Quick Quote on multiple posts and have them all lined up in the box ready to reply to..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #967669 06/15/15 07:03 AM
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
All you have to do is click the Quick Reply link under the post you want to reply to and then use the Quick Reply box, and it'll show you're replying to them..

Most of us know that, but based on a number of exchanges I've read (EG: "Were you replying to me? Because I didn't say that.") quite a few DT'ers don't.

Dave #967695 06/15/15 09:45 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
I make a motion that we ditch "Quick Reply" from the board. I see lots of posters using it to reply to a specific post, but instead it looks like they replied to the poster that started the thread, not the person they were trying to reply to.

I say we get rid of it. Do I hear a second?
My favorite part is being able to hit Quick Quote on multiple posts and have them all lined up in the box ready to reply to..

I agree, that's a pretty cool feature.

Originally Posted By: Dave

Most of us know that, but based on a number of exchanges I've read (EG: "Were you replying to me? Because I didn't say that.") quite a few DT'ers don't.

clevesteve #970055 06/20/15 08:37 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think it adds confusion. Too many times posters believe that the OP is the one saying outlandish things when people hit the Quick Reply. The majority of posters do not understand the feature and that isn't going to change just because a few of you--who are probably moderators--understand the feature.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Agreed. And vers, I am not a moderator - you can't blame your bans on me.

However - it doesn't take much to figure out "quick reply" replies to the original poster. If people can't figure that out, it's their problem. It IS confusing - but at the end of the day, it makes them look like dilweeds.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Agreed. And vers, I am not a moderator - you can't blame your bans on me.

However - it doesn't take much to figure out "quick reply" replies to the original poster. If people can't figure that out, it's their problem. It IS confusing - but at the end of the day, it makes them look like dilweeds.

rofl rofl rofl

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Dave #970122 06/21/15 02:50 AM
Legend
Legend
I think that it would be easier if the [RE:] just had the name "Quick Reply", and not the name of the particular poster who started the thread.

For example,

The header would read:

Re: Thread Title [Re: Quick Reply]

I have no idea how hard it would be to make that change, but it would certainly be less confusing.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I like this idea.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I like this idea.

No charge. rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Any update on this idea?

Do you want those who understand such things to do some research as to how to do this?

Dave #981532 08/03/15 12:48 AM
Legend
Legend
looks like each reply post has a parent post... which is probably where the user for the reply line is from. In other words, probably cannot be done given the column structure of this database. (Unless prp wanted to automatically populate a hidden/ghost post by user quickreply for each thread... it would work but would add clutter to the DB.)

Alternatively, but certainly more messy, Prp could prefix each QR post body with "Quick Reply:" and a couple carriage returns if something is really necessary to be done.

Legend
Legend
No update on this; it is kinda low on the priorities list right now.

Doing it is easy, and it's just a matter of doing conditional string replacements on display items. Everything in the parent-child relationship for posts is based on numerical indexes, which would be unaffected by any changes to text that gets created at run-time.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
Doing it is easy, and it's just a matter of doing conditional string replacements on display items. Everything in the parent-child relationship for posts is based on numerical indexes, which would be unaffected by any changes to text that gets created at run-time.

really glad you said that the way i can understand it.

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
pblack18707 #982205 08/04/15 08:24 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Quote:

really glad you said that the way i can understand it.

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Yeah, I read that and thought, "Oh, Piece of cake ....." crazy rofl

Legend
Legend
Reminded me of the Simpsons:

Troy McClure: Hello, I'm Troy McClure. You might remember me from such instructional videos as 'Mothballing Your Battleship,' and 'Dig Your Own Grave and Save!' Now over the next six hours I'll be taking you through the 'dos' and 'do not dos' of foundation repair. Ready?
Homer: Ready!
Troy: First, patch the cracks in the slab using a latex patching compound and a patching trowel.
Homer: [to Bart] Hand me my patching trowel, boy.
[Bart shrugs.]
Homer: Hmm.
Troy: Now, do you have extruded poly-vinyl foam insulation?
Homer: No.
Troy: Good! Assemble the aluminum J-channel using self-burring screws. Install!
Homer: What do I do for-
Troy: After applying brushable coating to the panels,
Homer: Wait a minute-
Troy: You'll need some corrosion resistant metal stucco lath.
Homer: Wait a minute!
Troy: If you can't find metal stucco lath,
Homer: Uh-huh?
Troy: Use carbon-fiber stucco lath!
Homer: Uh-hohh!
Troy: Now parge the lath!

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fan Feedback Forum Quick Reply

Link Copied to Clipboard