OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Believeland: Pettine determined to transform Browns
NFL.com

By Marc Sessler
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Aug. 14, 2015 at 06:02 p.m.
Updated: Aug. 14, 2015 at 06:13 p.m.

From beyond the walls of Berea, they are chuckled about as an afterthought in the AFC North.

It's hard to escape the facts. The Cleveland Browns rented a room at the bottom of their division when they returned to the league in 1999 and rarely sublet it out.

Finishing last in the North in 12 of the past 16 seasons -- and in each of the past four -- the Browns have eaten through 22 starting quarterbacks and a haze of coaches, scouts, football czars, team presidents and front-office henchmen.

Second-year coach Mike Pettine knows all about the grisly past. Despite last year's uptick to 7-9, the team's finest record in seven seasons, the challenge in Cleveland extends far beyond improving the roster.

This once-proud organization -- the owner of four NFL titles -- is widely viewed as a simmering mess after countless regime changes and ineffectual autumns. The Browns of today lack respect and the benefit of the doubt. Going two decades without a playoff win will do that.
Breaking off the rear-view mirror

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," Pettine told Around The NFL at Monday's Browns practice.

"Let them think this is completely dysfunctional. Let them drive by to see if the building is on fire every day, whereas internally, it could not be a more different reality," said the coach, swatting down rumors of a fractured relationship with general manager Ray Farmer. "Ray and I talk every day, have great conversations. Do we agree on everything? No. But the batting average is pretty damn high. I think our shared vision of this football team -- I think we've made great strides."

Pettine knows the Browns are largely invisible in a division that sent three other teams to the playoffs last season. He also knows that Cleveland still lacks its version of Tom Brady, choosing to use this offseason to strengthen both lines through the draft, deepen the secondary and find a hard-working stopgap under center in veteran Josh McCown.

"I think over 65 or 67 players are different from the 90 we started with a year ago and it's been all about changing the culture," said Pettine, adding: "The quickest way to change the culture is to change the people."

Some consistency would help, too. The three coaches before Pettine -- Rob Chudzinski, Pat Shurmur and Eric Mangini -- never made it to their third season. Years of drafting went to waste, as core players scouted for one particular system stood out as ill fits for the next. Veterans like Joe Thomas, Alex Mack and Joe Haden have seen more scheme changes over the past five seasons than Pittsburgh's roster has endured in two decades.

The Browns have burned through seven coaches since 1999. The Steelers and Ravens have just two over that span, while Marvin Lewis has been with Cincinnati since 2003. Bengals fans might not be sold on their coach, but Lewis has guided Cincy to six playoff appearances during his tenure. All in all, the consistent Steelers, Ravens and Bengals have combined for 48 playoff games to Cleveland's one since 1999.

"We talked about it a year ago, we're going to break off the rear-view mirror," said Pettine. "But, hey, we understand what the history is. We're not going to run from it. We know what it is. But, to me, it was just more motivation for us to say, 'Imagine the response we'll get from the fan base, based on what they've had to go through.'"

The fans are still here, packing out training camp practices despite the fact the team hasn't won a postseason tilt since Bill Belichick and Vinny Testaverde guided the "old" Browns to a wild-card victory over Bill Parcells and the Patriots on New Year's Day 1995. The two decades since have been a black hole of bad drafts, woeful signal-callers and unfurling embarrassment.

"But we carry none of that baggage," Pettine said.

Mourgrym #985720 08/14/15 06:24 PM
Legend
Legend
Honestly, I do like Pettine. He's a breath of fresh air and I think he fits our franchise if we have any hope to turn it around.

I also am realistic: we won't win more than half our games this year (8 wins is a good year IMO) ... and if I were to bet, I'd put my money on less than 6. We have very little explosiveness on offense, some unproven guys we're playing on defense, and no QB.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Mourgrym #985727 08/14/15 06:37 PM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Early in the year damage control and political correctness as Pettine trying to save his job...

Mourgrym #985733 08/14/15 06:49 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think Pettine believes in his abilities and that we can be a winner. What kind of a leader of men would he be if he didn't? I like him as a HC but he still has a lot to prove. My initial impressions of him in year one is favorable and I hope to see continued improvement.

But let's be honest. There's still a long road to travel for this team. A lot left to be proven on the field. So I'm in "Showmeland" myself. After 15 seasons of hearing the term Believeland, it's time to show me instead of continuing to repeat a saying that hasn't proven true year after year.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #985746 08/14/15 07:31 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I'm with you too with the give me results on the field. With that said, Pettine appears to be the closest thing to a legit HC we've seen since the return. Last year I was hesitant; but after the mess he's had to coach through, I think I may be a believer.

Now if we can get a GM that can pull in some legit 1st RND picks that make instant impact, we'd be golden! thumbsup

Mourgrym #985754 08/14/15 08:03 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm rooting for Mike Pettine. He's legit in my book.

Ugh. I hate "Believeland". We're Cleveland, win or lose.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Ditto; "Believeland" is so tired. Like we eat rainbows and poop unicorns or something. Gag me.

Mourgrym #985773 08/14/15 09:39 PM
C
1st String
1st String
C
So what? I don't give a crap about the teams good intentions...it's the results that matter. Either put a winner on the field,or don't.

Mourgrym #985858 08/15/15 09:36 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
The fans are still here, packing out training camp practices despite the fact the team hasn't won a postseason tilt since Bill Belichick and Vinny Testaverde guided the "old" Browns to a wild-card victory over Bill Parcells and the Patriots on New Year's Day 1995. The two decades since have been a black hole of bad drafts, woeful signal-callers and unfurling embarrassment.

Reading the above, I decided to do some research to get an idea how many seasons it takes NFL HCes to turn around a mediocre team and make the playoffs.

The many challenges facing a new HC..assembling a quality coaching staff, being supported by quality management/owner, upgrading the roster talent and adjusting a team's attitude.

What I found was HCes who inherit a decent roster of players, it take about 2 seasons to complete the turn around.

HCes who inherit a less talented roster, take 3 or 4 seasons to complete the turn around.

I listed some of the successful turnarounds below.

McCarthy, Green Bay..2 seasons.
Parcells, Giants...2
Parcells, Patriots...2
Belichick, Patriots...2
Coughlin, Giants...2
Shanahan, Broncos..2
Gruden, Raiders..3
Walsh, 49ers...3
Noll, Steelers...4
Belichick, Browns...4

What did Pettine inherit?

...he did not inherit a roster loaded with talent but in 2 seasons, Farmer and Pettine have improved the overall talent of the team...but they have a ways to go, imo.

Pettine said, "The quickest way to change the culture is to change the people."

Might want to post that on the bulletin board.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #985859 08/15/15 09:45 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
mac, excellent post. Another interesting element of that would be to see if their GMs were also with them for each of those years.

It's also why we have to stay the course no matter what happens this year. That 4 year clock starts all over again if we fire these guys after this year. I know people find it excruciating to watch this crap football, but what's more excruciating - taking our lumps in the early years of this transition or starting the 4 year clock all over again?

Rishuz #985865 08/15/15 10:10 AM
Legend
Legend

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Rishuz #985867 08/15/15 10:20 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Surprise Surprise I do believe. But not blindly as some might think.

Petting was destined to be a HC in the NFL and we got him.

Success is not an over night thing. But it has to be an Upward Graph. I like the staff. I like the talent we have gotten. We all know about the franchise QB thing. But it is looking better. The D will take some time to connect but quicker than last year. But when played to near perfection its an excellent Defense.

I liked the way we played against our Division last year especially the first 4...last 2 hard to judge as we were in a free fall.

But I thought we played our Division tougher than I ever saw before.

Although all teams improve I guess. I think we improved a lot more than our Division Rivals. When they lose guys to age they usually lose irreplaceable talent. Not so much us.

There is a lot to believe in.

Jmho but sometimes its fun wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Mourgrym #985870 08/15/15 10:24 AM
Legend
Legend
I think we finally found our head coach. I like Pettine more than anyone else we have had in quite some time. He seems very competent, football savvy, and from the outside looking in, I feel like he has a good relationship with his players. He's about his business, and I like it. Hope he is here for many years to come, and maybe.. just maybe.. with a little luck he can turn this organization into a NFL powerhouse.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
At the very least, he has what it takes to make this team legitimate.

From there, the rest is on the players.

I like him so far, too. He seems no-nonsense and down to earth. Been in the game long enough to know what works. I just hope he's given enough time to preside over the transition and establish himself for a long haul.

If Jimmy doesn't get squirrely in the next couple years, I think we may have something here.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Mourgrym #985916 08/15/15 02:19 PM
1st String
1st String
How can you not like Pettine? That being said it remains to be seen whether or not he can turn this ship around. Give the man no excuse to fail. Get him the players he needs to be a success. Once he has the talent then this team will be on a level playing field with the rest of the division. Only then can we judge Pettine fairly.

Mourgrym #985923 08/15/15 02:58 PM
Legend
Legend
I detest this stripe of sports journalism. Snarky attitude is the "insult to injury" factor, the extra twist of the knife in the article's back. Always more than one way to say something (especially something 'new' as in news); may be factual, but never objective or unbiased. The "more salt for the wounds" serves what purpose other than to be little or antagonize or insult fans. It cannot shed light on current folks.

THIS type of cheap shot article is a big part of the culture around the Browns that needs changed like a ripe baby. Tired retreads with a litany of past shortcomings do not mean it is hopeless forever, and conveniently denies any current insights. It is too little, too wrong a product, too cheap and easy to pile on, and misses some good stories that are out there. I find his opinions worthless, and wonder what job he was assigned to do. And I do like Pettine. This will be a fairer year to judge his own growth and improvement.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Mourgrym #985928 08/15/15 03:04 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I don't expect much this year or next since we don't have a legitimate QB starting for us. Sorry, I just can't get my hopes up that much. I don't see one coming out that we can draft either because we will play mediocre football and miss out on drafting a top tier QB. The only thing that remains is a lucky pick on a QB that falls to us...and when was the last time we had good luck?

Either way I like Petition even if I don't like his horrid run defence or the sloppy tackling techniques he uses. No such thing as a perfect team or coach. I think pettine can get us to 7-9 wins reliably and that is better than the hell I have been forced to suffer previously. I think if he is left alone that year 5 could be special depending on how long Joe Thomas lasts.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Rishuz #985959 08/15/15 05:41 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
mac, excellent post. Another interesting element of that would be to see if their GMs were also with them for each of those years.

Rish..I decided to research the GMs of the teams I listed...

Some of the successful turnarounds teams...

McCarthy, Green Bay..2 seasons.
Parcells, Giants...2
Parcells, Patriots...2
Belichick, Patriots...2
Coughlin, Giants...2
Shanahan, Broncos..2
Gruden, Raiders..3
Walsh, 49ers...3
Noll, Steelers...4
Belichick, Browns...4

The GMs....

06-15..Packers..HC McCarthy..GM Ted Thompson (06-15)

83-90..Giants..HC Parcells..GM George Young (83-91)

93-96..Patriots..HC Parcells..GM Parcells (93-96)

00-15..Patriots..HC Belichick..GM Belichick (00-15)

04-15..Giants..HC Coughlin..GM Ernie Accorsi (04-06)
.............................."..........GM Jerry Reese (07-15)

95-08..Broncos..HC Shanahan..GM John Beake (95-98)
................................".............GM Neal Dahlen (99-01)
..............................."..............GM Ted Sundquist (02-07)
.............................."...............GM Jim Goodman (08)

98-01..Raiders..HC Gruden..GM Al Davis (98-01)

79-88..49ers..HC Walsh..GM Walsh (79-82, 99,00)
...........................".........GM John McVay (83-88)

69-91..Steelers..HC Noll..GM Dan Rooney (69,70)
.............................."......GM Dick Haley (71-90)
.............................".......GM Tom Donahoe (91- )

91-95..Browns..HC Belichick..GM Ernie Accorsi (91)
.............................."............GM Belichick (92-95)

What do we conclude from this information?

Some of the Head Coaches who also served as the GM were able to turn their teams around quickly...
...Parcells/Patriots 2yrs
...Belichick/Patriots 2yrs
...Walsh/49ers 3yrs
...Belichick/Browns 4yrs

But, some teams that operate with a GM and a HC were also able to turn their teams around quickly.
...McCarthy/Packers 2yrs
...Coughlin/Giants 2yrs
...Shanahan/Broncos 2yrs
...Gruden/Raiders 3yrs
...Noll/Steelers 4yrs

IMO, the quality of the roster each HC/GM inherited played a role in how quickly teams were able to make the turn around, making it to the playoffs.

The one constant for success..CONTINUITY.

For the Browns, continuity starts with the owner. NO MORE CHANGES..unless Pettine or Farmer asks for them.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #985978 08/15/15 07:11 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
For the Browns, continuity starts with the owner. NO MORE CHANGES..unless Pettine or Farmer asks for them.

I don't agree with this at all. If, at the end of the 2015 season the Browns finish with less than 6 wins AND 3 out of our last 4 1st round picks in the last 2 years are still backups, Farmer should be re-evaluated, especially in view of his interference with the starting lineup last season. Pettine gets a pass because he can only work with what Farmer gave him.

Dave #985981 08/15/15 07:19 PM
C
1st String
1st String
C
Originally Posted By: Dave
Quote:

I don't agree with this at all. If, at the end of the 2015 season the Browns finish with less than 6 wins AND 3 out of our last 4 1st round picks in the last 2 years are still backups, Farmer should be re-evaluated, especially in view of his interference with the starting lineup last season. Pettine gets a pass because he can only work with what Farmer gave him.
Not me. I already want Farmer fired...looool

eotab #985983 08/15/15 07:28 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
[quoteThere is a lot to believe in. ][/quote]

Someone's praying, Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya

Y'all are some funny mothers.....

Mourgrym #986247 08/17/15 08:15 AM
All Pro
All Pro
"Let people think this is a dumpster fire,"

Now that's a quotable quote right there. I think it's my new sig line.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
jeepnstein #986250 08/17/15 08:23 AM
C
1st String
1st String
C
Originally Posted By: jeepnstein
"Let people think this is a dumpster fire,"

Now that's a quotable quote right there. I think it's my new sig line.
It is a pretty funny quote. I got a good laugh when I read that.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
[quoteThere is a lot to believe in. ]

Oh Lord, kumbaya

Y'all are some funny mothers..... [/quote]

No clue what you are saying here???
Actually Vers, I pray for you more than the Browns. Every Sunday.

I never pray for my team except for health sometimes.

You mean I have hope and "BELIEVE" sorry that offend you to the degree that you have to state "Funny mother...and we all know what the rest is... haha...funny frown

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #988913 08/25/15 12:44 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When Thomas was a rookie, he received a piece of advice from wide receiver Joe Jurevicius, a native son of Cleveland playing the final season of his 10-year NFL career:

" The fans don’t care if you win or lose. Of course they want you to win, but what they care about most is that you bust your ass every day. If you do that, they’ll stand behind you no matter what."

Link

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Believeland

Link Copied to Clipboard