Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Last year I bought into the hype. Partly because I wanted too. So sick of knowing we would stink. So last year after the off-season and draft; I thought we would win 10 or 11 games.

We had talent and I was expecting development of players and expected the new talent talent to deliver.

Well aware of Freddie and his lack of experience but I thought he had done well enough as the OC before to handle it.

Didn't work out.

So Ben is back. Lamar and the Ravens went on to win 14 regular season games. Only to have a early exit in the playoffs. The Bengals get Burrow. They have Mixon and Green should be ready to go.

Once again we have a new staff. Then there is the challenge of virtual training. Even the Bengals are not having to start over with a new regime.

Last year the Browns were the buzz. Expected to win the division and possible go deep into the playoffs.

Now they are once again hardly mentioned. Not much in the way of expectations. Most are looking at the Ravens as division winners. Some expect Ben to be the comeback player of the year.

So are the Browns being underestimated this year? Overestimated again by the fans?

Honestly, I believe the offense will be good. I think they will be one of the top offenses in all football. Special teams should be fine.

Defense? Miles makes a huge difference. His impact is obvious on every play. So we have him back. Most of us are concerned about the linebackers. Rightfully so. The inexperience is obvious and the talent is questionable.

The defensive backfield should be alright. I expect Greedy to improve. Ward is going into year three. Woods has favored man coverage in the past. Both Greedy and Ward are good at man coverage. I was very high on Karl Joseph coming out of college. I like him on this team. Redwine had a decent rookie year and usually second year growth is a big jump. Delpit was a very good safety at LSU and I expect him to help right away. We have some depth.

Of course much is riding on Baker. Kind of sick of talking about him. We all know. He has to play better. I expect him to do so.

Over/under. I think the division is up for grabs. The Bengals are not ready yet. The Ravens, Browns, or Steelers could win the division. The Ravens are and should be the favorites. However, I do not think it is automatic. In fact I think the division will slug it out and beat up on each other. I don't see any game within the division as a gimmie.

Ten wins may take it. And I think any of the three can win the division. Injury and depth could play a big role.

I think we are underestimated and I like that position.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Last year I bought into the hype. Partly because I wanted too. So sick of knowing we would stink. So last year after the off-season and draft; I thought we would win 10 or 11 games.

We had talent and I was expecting development of players and expected the new talent talent to deliver.

Right with you there.

I was excited. I mean, really, expecting Baker to play like he had the previous season, with Chubb and Hunt, with Landry, and Beckham........my thoughts were "no one can stop us. Our d might need some help, but our O will overcome that."

Turns out, I was wrong. Again.

Legend
Legend
I overestimated them last year. Kool-aid OD (again). I am a fan, but have dialed it back. Surprise me. Win.

We have better talent to take on our division IMO. Not sure we have enough to take them down. We were lousy despite some favorable matchups last year. This year will be tougher.

Wait and see. I am not crazy fired up this year. That can happen when I see more. Less Freddie should mean more scoring and more wins.

Just win, baby!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I was overestimating last year ... I felt like we finally had a FQB and a generational type offense (and we still might)

This year it’s wait and see ... I am optimistic that our offense will be improved tho

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Last year I thought we would be better and win 9 games. I was wrong and disappointed like everyone else. I'll stick with the 9 wins again this year and an outside shot of the playoffs.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Last year I said we would be good if Baker was good. He wasn't and the Browns weren't.

The NFL isn't some big mystery. Owner, coach, QB. If those three are good, you'll be good and in contention every year.

There's not much hope for Haslam. Let's hope Stefanski and Baker can make it 2 out of 3.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I will also add that I believe the Ravens take a step back this year. They are really playing with fire with Lamar as well. It would not surprise me if he got hurt. I saw him take multiple really crushing hits last year. That is not sustainable.

And I think Burrow is being way overrated. I have no concerns about the Bengals one iota. Should be 2 wins there.

Legend
Legend
I hope Stefanski and Baker prove to be the answers as well ... and I agree about Haslam haha

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Freddie got 6 wins as a coach that no one on the team, players and other coaches, believed in.

Stefanski honestly just has to not be a moron and the Browns should win 10 games. Actually I've never seen an easier schedule. If Stefanski is good we might win 12. If Lamar gets hurt we are probably playing KC in the AFC championship.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I was happy earlier in the year when the national sentiment was "same old Browns." But recently the media has started the hype for Stefanski bringing in the Vikings O scheme because it's the 'perfect' fit for Baker...plus the free agent and draft results being great for the O. Shut up already!

I'm from Missouri, just Show Me.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Asked my son what he thought about getting Clowney.

He told me I don't care if we had Khalil Mack, Von Miller, Aaron Donald, and Clowney.

"I have to see them play and win."

Sentiment from being burned last year.

Again I feel good about the offense. Not sure about the defense. I like the adds and feel we have better depth.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think we need three things. They are the same three things I said last year.

1. At least average play by our qb.

2. Our coaching staff has to be at least average, as well.

3. Team chemistry needs to mesh in a positive manner early and not fall apart if #s 1 and 2 falter again. Also, it's probably even more important for the team's chemistry to get off to a good start. We can't start off 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 and expect the chemistry to be good.

Legend
Legend
With no off-season programs and installs, it's going to be difficult for a new coaching staff to win right away.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
What's the question?

Legend
Legend
I don't think we're either.

I think that with the challenges of this offseason, pretty much every team everywhere is simply focused on itself right now.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Until the record proves otherwise, this is the same 4-12, 5-11 team it's been for years. I refuse to buy into the hype this year.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I feel this year is a one off. Nothing normal. If the nfl has anything resembling a normal season I will be surprised.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Well, I'm just about as confused as I've ever been. I wanna be optimistic, I'm trying to be.

So here are my + and -

+ Baker will come back,, better coaching will help
+

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think once the new coaching staff effect has stabilized, we'll find that our defense will be holding us back quite a bit. We have some talent, but there are big holes (or at least question marks) in that unit that will show when we're playing against better teams.

I'm thinking/hoping that our offense won't also be holding us back.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I expected 8-8 last year and have the same expectation for this year.

I've re-watched the Bills and Dolphins games from last year - don't ask me why...I don't really have an answer. The Bills game is especially interesting to me...and frustrating. It was sort of a picture of the entire year.

We did a lot of good things in that game...some very good. We stunk at a lot of things in that game. We were very inconsistent. Chubb, Hunt and Landry simply do their jobs...and do them very well. Baker makes some outstanding throws...and had a few really bad throws. OBJ dropped so many passes I lost count...and made a couple GREAT catches. The defense was pretty good...until it wasn't. The herky-jerky flow to our performance summarized our entire season.

I'm posting these comments here because I can't help but think while watching these games that we were not so far from being a good, competitive team...while being light years away from being a good, competitive team.

I think the roster has gotten better...maybe much better. I can only hope that the coaching will be better as well.

I think the key to success in 2020 will be left to how the coaches handle the team and games. A close second will be the play of Baker - which will depend in-part on how the coaches handle the team and game planning.

I'm less worried about the LB room than I am how the coaches do their jobs. We were close - but far - last year. The roster got better...the coaching got changed...again.

I think we will be largely underestimated as I don't think the national talking heads are nearly as tuned-in to the team as are Browns fans. What I'm driving at is that we were a better collection-of-players last year than we actually played. Something was holding us back...and I don't think it was entirely the players...even those who have already been upgraded since last year.

When you meld new coaches and systems with new OTs and have new Ss and young LBs...and a virus shutdown...I don't see how anyone can get so optimistic to the point of over-estimating the results.

Legend
Legend
J/c

One big concern from last year ... our defense was bad and/or folded once Myles was gone. The games at Arizona and against Cincy were pretty bad performances ... that was a sign of a team with no chemistry or unity.

Maybe it was just the culmination of a tough year and a bad coach ... well find out

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Good post.

I share much of what you stated.

Consistency is a concept most coaches strive for. Consistency is something we failed miserable at last year.

In addition anytime a new coaching staff takes over; you are behind the eight ball. Coaches and players don't know each other. Both are in a learning mode.

Then you add virtual learning instead of face to face and on field practice. Not good.

I am optimistic by nature. Hard for me to start a season thinking 500 or less. Then you begin a season with no more than curiosity. After waiting all off season for football to start. I hate feeling like you can not have a winning season.

We have talent. That in itself is a good starting point. I think like many teams we will need things to break our way. Like no major injuries.

Lost a bit in last year is all the injuries especially to the secondary. Of course Miles was huge.

We should win both games against the Bengals. Probably split against Ravens and Steelers.

The games against them will be critical. If we were to go 5-1 in the division that could mean winning the division. 2-4 and we could very well lose out.

O
Legend
Legend
O
The offense absolutely got better.

The defense absolutely got worse.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
The offense absolutely got better.

The defense absolutely got worse.

Defense, how so?

We added Billings, Clayborn & Elliott. On paper, these are solid depth additions to stop the run & help the pass rush.

Garrett, full season & should be even better with an extra year of strength & experience.

Ogunjobi, playing for a new contract, can't hurt, while Richardson back playing inside is solid.

I feel when healthy, Vernon is a plus player. If he's not in the cards, look for a high profile replacement.

I'll give you the question at LB. They need to step up & show development. Besides, I don't think the Browns are done there yet. Once things get rolling, we might see a few veterans come in for physicals. I can also see a trade or cut pickup if the staff don't feel comfortable.

I like our secondary. Ward, Williams, Mitchell & Johnson look to be a very good foundation with some new faces that could surprise.

Joseph can tackle, Delpit can cover, with Sendejo's experience can't hurt. I'm still on the fence with Redwine though.

I also like how SF's D looked last year. I'm willing to bet we look very much better & organized.

My biggest concern would be Team Tackling, hopefully. this will be the coaching group that will make it a priority.

Overall, there are many on the D that should be motivated & focused for a variety of reasons. As long as the injury bug doesn't hit us hard, I feel we have a good chance at respectability.

P
Legend
Legend
P
There are a lot of things that go against us this year. Things that are actually out of anyone's control. Things that give established teams with established systems a big advantage while giving teams with new HC's a distinct disadvantage.

This virus takes away valuable time that teams with new HC's and staffs need to install new systems. Established teams do have new players on their rosters, but those teams have many players that were on the roster last year and prior years. Those players already know the current system and have the ability to work with those new players. Stefanski has never been a HC before and as such, we have zero players that have played within his system with which to lean on to teach any of the other players.

The contract between the NFL and the NFLPA limit practice times and the amount of time coaches can work with the players. The longer these virus restrictions play out, the further behind teams with new HC's will become in working to install these new systems. That puts teams such as ourselves at a huge disadvantage.

As such, Stefanski and his staff are certainly behind the eight ball here through no fault of their own. As per usual, I'll be looking much closer at the second half of the season than the first half. Why? Because as per usual we have an entire new regime. And under the virus restrictions, I consider it unrealistic to expect much in the first half of the season.

With any new regime, installing new systems on both sides of the ball takes time. Under the current circumstances, the time it will take will be even longer. I would look at 8-8 as a very successful season under the circumstances.

Some will say I'm giving Stefanski and company a built in excuse, when the fact is, with the coronavirus it's the built in reality.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Demo44

I also like how SF's D looked last year. I'm willing to bet we look very much better & organized.

Just don't go expecting us to have their results, at least not right away.

I'd expect something between the 2018 and 2019 49ers Defense... .which, is pretty much middle-of-the-road.

Browns is the Browns

E
Legend
Legend
E
One thing, as bad as we were in 2019 the last 6 games which was to be our easy part of the schedule had the loss of Myles Garrett. This kid is a difference maker and we more than probably would have been 8-8 one of the best records in quite a while. Don't know what I mean by this take it for what it is worth.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Legend
Legend
T
TQI WDYAM FQB, POC, BA and nicknames, nobody knows WYM;
Whether it's VG,TT, JFF, RAC, PP who is JJ, or Dropcutt, if it's going to take me 5 minutes to figure out WTAM, then just type it.

A= ackronym(s)

The Browns are a 4, 5, or 6 win team, and 2 of those are probably because Myles and Baker or Chubb, ie, the players stud out that week.

It's dysfunctional, and it's not realistic to think a new coach is going to have the instant rapport and respect of his key personalities he coaches, neither realistic to think the same coach will have a shared vision (100%) with what the previous group had for the plan of using personel and gameplans,
To the point it's unrealistic to think you'll get any of your 3 must haves Vers until they decide to stick with a plan for continuity.

And Rishuz, the Ravens are probably much improved over last year, wouldn't be surprised to see em win the Super Bowl this year, except for if you look at Pat Mahommes' abilitys to make things happen,
and Andy Reids long term experience, it's like 2 things that are peaking and really hard to overcome.

I still think Bill Bellichic is the smartest man in football at the moment, #2, Tony Dungy isn't coaching #3, may still be Bill Cowher imo, don't know haven't given it much thought but the Patriots could be right back in the Super Bowl even without Gronk, Brady, they don't need their 2 receivers either,
It's possible the Patriots could be back there in a jiffy.

And the AFC South, For 2 years running, when the season got into crunch time of the regular season, the last 7 weeks of the regular season, all 3 of whoever wasn't in the basement of that division race suddenly became juggernaughts to beat, to the point to make me believe 3 of those franchises are in a position of determination and continuity
to really make a run

... Browns are a 4,5, or 6 win team, Unless Stefanski is lightning in a bottle or gets ligntning out of a bottle,
IMO, if they were going to go with Berry and Stefanski, might as well have kept Freddie and Dorsey,
Actually? Should have kept Pettine and Farmer, would have been coming up on their 8th year, plus continuity,
has anyone since then been notably, far and above, better than Pettine and Farmer would have been, with continuity? Maybe Dorsey, ehh what's the point of arguing.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
j/c and a bit of a rant, but this is probably the best thread for it...

Building a great team:

1. Building a front office and coaching staff that understands and agrees on the protocol and time-table for the task at hand.
2. Drafting, acquiring and cultivating talent.
3. Designing a scheme that fits the talent and experience of the players you put on the field. Adjusting the scheme for injuries, opponents and miscalculated probabilities of success.
4. Creating a culture and depth of talent that bridges the gap between "good", on any given Sunday, and "plug and play" (i.e. the Patriots and their never ending list of average players that over-achieve).

For two decades we've been stuck on #1 and #2.
For two seasons we've been stuck on #3.
Now we've (again) put the cart before the horse and returned to #1... Hoping that #1 and #3 will work itself out because of #2.
Certainly not the ideal way to accomplish the goal.

"Great expectations" at the end of 2018 led to the entire sports world overestimating the team's success in 2019.

"Shell-shock" had led to many underestimating the team's success in 2020.

And then the curve ball... Trying to install an entirely new FO, coaching staff, and scheme, in a world where people are freaking quarantined in their own homes.

So even if #1 is what is required for this recipe, and assuming #2 is a given, #3 requires repetition, experience and a lot of ongoing adjustments and layers of "nuance" before it is successful... Because of Covid, we'll be doing it on the fly and flying by the seat of our pants (as usual).

If our "install" resembles anything from last season (infighting and arguing about the process mere weeks before the season) we're in big trouble - and probably staring down the barrel of 6-10.

If we are able to KISS (keep it simple, stupid), start off on the right foot, get a few lucky breaks, and see coherence from the top down - 10-6 and playoffs are possible.

I'll split the difference and say we are probably an 8-8 team. Anything above that will be above my "expectations".

What I do know, and what anyone worth their salt in our organization had better know, is that success in the long term means we better be well into #4 before we start signing these high-dollar, long-term contracts.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
I'm optimistic not unrealistic.

A move in the right direction is what I'm looking for. It would be great if Woods could improve on that.

I'll take slightly better than middle of the road for starters.

Again, just being a better tackling defence would improve our chances over past seasons.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

This has been a good discussion. Lot of good comments.

I might add. All of us are locked in on the Browns. We view the team in a much different light than those outside. The media covers all the teams. So mostly what you hear is an overview or summary of teams personnel. They don't know like we know our team.

Likewise unless you are a true addict and watch all games we probably don't know all there is to know about other teams.

IMO all teams face similar issues in personnel and coaching. Coordinators come and go. So do position coaches. Teams move out veterans through retirement or free agency. All teams add players in the draft. Nobody can afford all pro talent across the board. All teams depend upon second and third string players as injuries occur. All teams have question marks somewhere on the roster.

So, when we face teams all of them have to play well to win. Sounds simplistic but the difference between winning seven games and ten is very small.

Lots of unknowns once the season begins. Many players on a 53 man roster get thrown into games. Many times their performance can be the that slight difference between a win or loss.

Legend
Legend
J/c

I’ve wondered this out loud before ... maybe just half seriously, but in today’s NFL world would it be better to just put like 80% of your assets/cap geared towards Offense ... OL, depth, TEs, etc ... because the league is so geared towards offense anyways with penalties ... a defense is at such a disadvantage as it is.

Might as well just try to control the game on O and make them out score you without making mistakes

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think history shows that plan can work in the regular season, but when playoffs come, you have to be able to stop good offenses. There's an old saying; offense wins games, defense wins championships.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
O
Legend
Legend
O
I had VERY high opinions of both Schobert and Randall (not his attitude), and was very pleased with our SS play before guys started dropping like flies.

Long story short, I'm down on the defense because we lost some good to very good vets and replaced them with (IMO) middling vets and draft picks.

*I should've prefaced that by saying I rarely expect anything out of non-first rounder rookies. Double that for specific positions (defensive secondary being one).

So I think with the losses to our LB corps and safety positions, I expect our D to take a step back. Our line didn't change much, imo. We should be able to handle guys getting banged up with the upgraded depth, though.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It's impossible to properly rate the Browns since '99.

My mantra has been "It's not THAT we lose, it's HOW we lose."

Honestly the years we went 1-31 were the easiest for me as a fan. We stunk. We knew we stunk. We wanted to stink.

It's years like last two where we actually WERE good. Then the media overhypes us, we have in fighting between coaches leading to BOTH getting fired and a first time head coach gets promoted from RB coach, and then of course who can predict the Myles Garrett helmet hit???

Even if Garrett could've played we at least beat the Steelers probably, for the first sweep since '99 and the first time we beat every division opponent, and possibly even 8-8 and we move on building upwards.

In the past our issue has been talent only a few times, usually it's Drugs, Staph Infections, Helmet tosses, Bad Refs, etc and so on.

It's a fool's errand to try to predict the Browns success.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Losing Sho and Randall doesn't help anything, but I don't think it hurts all that much.

I read somewhere that Woods actually wants to transition in to a dime as our base D. Phillips might be the guy we are looking at to be the one backer on the field. Maybe not this year so much, but moving forward.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I've seen this story before
Browns hire 1st year HC. Team starts out 2-4
Or 1 and 5. Shows improvement middle of season
But finishes in 3rd or last.
The last Browns HC that had anykind of a winning
Record that fired in favor of a real Gomer
Of a HC.
Think about GW puts out a winning record
And he gets fired
I'm not buying into the Browns this year.
I think every game will be close.
But at the end of the day the North is just too
Darn talented.
And in this division it comes down to coaching
And since 1999 the Browns have never had the the
Best coach In the North or the best QB.
The Ravens are a playoff lock.
Big Ben has enough left in his arm to put
Points on the board.and a always great defense
And the Bengals have a franchise type QB to
Go along with a stacked offense.
Plus 2nd year under Taylor.
And the Browns. New coach new philosophy
And learning on the job.
Same story since 1999

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: myka
It's impossible to properly rate the Browns since '99.

My mantra has been "It's not THAT we lose, it's HOW we lose."

Honestly the years we went 1-31 were the easiest for me as a fan. We stunk. We knew we stunk. We wanted to stink.

It's years like last two where we actually WERE good. Then the media overhypes us, we have in fighting between coaches leading to BOTH getting fired and a first time head coach gets promoted from RB coach, and then of course who can predict the Myles Garrett helmet hit???

Even if Garrett could've played we at least beat the Steelers probably, for the first sweep since '99 and the first time we beat every division opponent, and possibly even 8-8 and we move on building upwards.

In the past our issue has been talent only a few times, usually it's Drugs, Staph Infections, Helmet tosses, Bad Refs, etc and so on.

It's a fool's errand to try to predict the Browns success.

thumbsup I'm sitting here nodding my head in agreement and chuckling while reading that post. How many games have we lost and said something like..."well, that's yet another new and unique way to lose a game". It's maddening.

I think we could count on ONE hand the number of seasons where we were able to come away with a reasonable ability to rate the team...ever STR. Much of that comes from our disastrous track record on picking a QB...probably tied with the turnover from our disastrous track record of picking a HC+.

2019 was no exception because we STILL don't "know" what we have (exactly)...and the systems and many key players are new...again...and some guys we DID know on defense are now gone.

I think the difference (for me) when "rating" the 2019 season is that we clearly had a fair amount of talent. We could execute well at times...until we executed ourselves.

The OL got better talent...much better. The TE position got much better. Hunt will be a full year guy. The WR room is excellent. We have a QB who should be somewhere between good and great.

The DL line is crazy better...the LBs are scary...but we really only lost Shobert there (not a small loss)...the DBs are largely returning with (likely) better depth and the Ss look better/deeper or equal.

If the coaching is 25% better (pulling that # out of my rear) than last year...we should expect to be at least an 8-8 team...if we are in position in the 4th quarter in every game (which will require much better coaching than last year), I like our chances of even beating that record. Today? I'm sticking with 8-8...while not feeling like I'm low-balling or being pessimistic.

E
Legend
Legend
E
WTH...jmho FYI...lol laugh

We are a much better team with a 16 game availability of Garrett, a 100% healthy VERNON the additions of Delpit, Billings and Clayborne makes are defense much better than last year.

On offense with obvious instruction to our talented QB and not a you do what you want instruction of last year. Just get the X's and O's done. Forget about perfection and discipline.

As for players buying in. At the start is when they all do.

We now have a healthy or will have a healthy Landry, OBJ, Higgins and Njoku. We have an addition of Conklin, Wills and Hooper. We are by far a much better team than last year by talent alone - not going into concepts but execution is the key and if they all buy in the chances of that rises!

Special teams are better.

If you wish to be cautious that is fine...8-8 is the cautious bet. I cannot stress the LOS being the key. 4 DL the key is the DL we got a good mix of starters and backups.

The key on O is OL not WRs which was the mistake I saw by Dorsey. We shored that up RIGHT AWAY! This team is built to control the LOS and with a Running game plus playaction a lot of good can be expected even with a back up QB let alone a franchise QB.

I see good things happening but I do have reservations due to the lack of continuity. I do not know how long things will take to click. In review and we have a very good data base for that. The Defense should be there by game 3 and improving with each game. The Offense might take 8 games before it starts clicking. That is pretty much our experience of the past. We never had talent like this, NEVER since 1999 so will that speed up the process? Possibly

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Honestly, as long as Baker doesn't struggle, I think the O will come along a lot quicker than that. The entire O revolves around the blocking and formations.... I think it will click pretty quickly, especially for guys like Bitonio that have already been in it previously.

Defensively....it's a mystery and I'm not as sold on guys like Greedy & Sendejo as some others may be. Greedy still has a lot to prove and Sendejo is clearly a short-term band-aid. If they, and Delpit & Joseph, work out as hoped, then this could be an All-Star secondary. If not, it could be Swiss Cheese.... and the defense will go the way they go.

Browns is the Browns

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Underestimated or Overestimated

Link Copied to Clipboard