R
Legend
Legend
R
What is going on in Berea?

This team is a rudderless ship.

Legend
Legend
This seems like a team with no discipline, direction, or proper culture. There must be an undercurrent of bad attitudes/work ethic/etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I guess we don’t need DE’s?
No Myles.
No Smith.
Vernon’s on a bum knee.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
He had a key play sunday.. what's up with this move?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Considering the personal tragedy this guy suffered, would it have killed them to keep him through the end of the season? Its not like we're going anywhere. And owners, front office types, fans wonder why there's no such thing as player loyalty. Its because they get treated like livestock.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
Considering the personal tragedy this guy suffered, would it have killed them to keep him through the end of the season? Its not like we're going anywhere. And owners, front office types, fans wonder why there's no such thing as player loyalty. Its because they get treated like livestock.

bingo. fans want players to show loyalty when the FO's around the league shows zero.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Can a player ask to be released ? Maybe he just can't take it right now and needs to step away. Hows that work ?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Wow. The guy loses his girlfriend in a horrific accident and now with only 4 games left he gets cut by the team that "supported him and had his back".

Classless and very sad move.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
this is bad look

Legend
Legend
Unless he requested a release, I agree

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Yeah as with everyone, I do not understand this move...besides Vernon, he was our only other DE with experience. Not sure what is going behind the scenes...yet once again.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
King John , lol....

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Swish
Originally Posted By: Dave

bingo. fans want players to show loyalty when the FO's around the league shows zero.
not entirely true, the steelers have been paying Shazier keeping him listed as a player now for how long? They are showing the rest of the team and the league, they would have your back as a player.

its sucks to say it, but we need a FO and Ownership like the Rooneys. They are a class act, and it translates to the field.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
King John , lol....
Talent over class, always with him.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
And? You cant have superstars at every position. There are guys that need to fill spots and just are not going to be that great.

With his tragedy, it would have been a better look for THE TEAM to let him go in the offseason. You say your going to support a player, do it.

This looks bad on their part, and classless (IF he didn't ask to be released - we don't know - that's why I said LOOKS).

Once again, another instance of this FO putting TALENT over TEAM

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
If anything, you question the signing to begin with and the players that were released in order to get him on the roster.

We've seen this before as of late.

#RosterTurnover

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
If anything, you question the signing to begin with and the players that were released in order to get him on the roster.

#RosterTurnover
Agreed. Its makes no sense. Avery comes to mind. Nassib, etc.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

#RosterTurnover

Include Ogbah too if referencing just DEs.

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

#RosterTurnover

Include Ogbah too if referencing just DEs.
I saw a stat on twitter than Fells has 6 TD this year, and Njoku has 7 in his career or something like that.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm guessing this is to make room for activating Njoku?

Little depth at DE with Vernon and Garret injured/out and the Browns release Chris Smith.

Six wide WRs on the roster and Taywan Taylor is kept.

Let the Porter Gustin era begin!

D
Legend
Legend
D
We talk about building "a culture", a sense of being a part of something bigger than yourself, a team. And we know how Freddie loves slogans like "Go 1-0 this week.", or "We don't run from trouble. We run towards it together.", and so on. What do you suppose the locker room thinks of slogans now?

I heard on the radio last week that a whole bunch of Browns volunteered at a Food Bank event called "Feed The Need" that collected, boxed, and delivered donated food to needy families, and it was while they were there - on an off day - that they heard from the media that Devaroe Lawrence had been released. The report on the radio was that the players were very upset, and that Lawrence was very popular in the locker room. I'm not suggesting we should keep sub-optimum players out of a sense of charity. I know, and I'm sure the players know, its a business. But the Browns must realize that the constant roster churn takes a toll on players emotionally, and undermines Freddie's attempts to build a sense of Team. JMO.

Last edited by Dave; 12/03/19 12:02 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
They couldn’t have just made up an injury and IRed him?

Legend
Legend
Are we certain he didn't request it?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Are we certain he didn't request it?

No, we are not.

Not sure which would look worse TBH, at this point in the season.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
It's possible that he just has not been the same since his girlfriend died, and we need the roster spot for someone else. (maybe Njoku)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
It's possible that he just has not been the same since his girlfriend died, and we need the roster spot for someone else. (maybe Njoku)

Then IR him with a bad heart, and at least pay him out through season's end. This just wreaks of cold, ruthless "business decisions". Like others have mentioned, it's pretty hard to build any sort of team chemistry or culture if you're just churning the roster non-stop.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

Then IR him with a bad heart, and at least pay him out through season's end. This just wreaks of cold, ruthless "business decisions". Like others have mentioned, it's pretty hard to build any sort of team chemistry or culture if you're just churning the roster non-stop.

There has to be a real, medical issue to IR someone.

People bring up Shazier ...... well, there's no question about the medical issues he is dealing with. I do not believe you can claim bereavement as a medical issue for a player to go on IR.

Besides, Smith's salary ... as a vested veteran player .... was guaranteed for 2019 by virtue of being on the roster for the 1st game.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
So, my only guess is that Dorsey determined that the season is over, so he is letting go of someone that is over-payed in order to get more reps for younger players.

M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Tackles are tackles.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
We are usually on our 3rd or 4th QB in December, so something had to give tongue

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

I thought he was inactive Sunday.

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

I thought he was inactive Sunday.

You are correct, he was inactive.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I believe he was thinking of Chad Thomas.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
We needed to make room for that DT we just signed

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

There has to be a real, medical issue to IR someone.

People bring up Shazier ...... well, there's no question about the medical issues he is dealing with. I do not believe you can claim bereavement as a medical issue for a player to go on IR.

Besides, Smith's salary ... as a vested veteran player .... was guaranteed for 2019 by virtue of being on the roster for the 1st game.
Im not comparing their medical status' of the two. I was comparing how they treat players to how we treat ours. You see, Shazier will ever play in the NFL again. The Steelers don't care, and will pay him anyway because unlike Dorsey, they are not a cold hearted fool. They realize he brings value just being on the sideline, and he does. The team has rallied around him, the city did too.

John Dorsey finds and brings in talent. I don't deny that. Talent doesn't win football games, you are witness to that last week 6 others so far this year. TEAMS win games. DRIVE wins games, CHEMISTRY win games. Dorsey doesn't understand that, which is odd as he played in the league.

We are not going to better our team by cutting Smith. I don't care how bad he played - we are out of the playoffs, and our season down the turd hole. Why not try to build CHEMISTRY for NEXT YEAR??? Why not show the league, "hey, the Browns care about our players - and we stick with them through hard times because they are our family". But now, the message sent is loud and clear - The Browns don't give a rats crap butt about anyone in this locker room.

The wheels are falling off already and its not even a year old......smh.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Plainly speaking, there is a large hole in your assumptions, by assuming Smith to be part of that future plan. Givin his age alone, it is imo a far stretch to assume that he was.

Now we know that is a stawman assumption.

Given our record, it is not uncommon to see movement to the backend of our roster, with the realization that next year starts today.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
The Browns will pay his salary this year. That is in the CBA. Smith will get all of the money he had coming this year.

I don't get your argument here. Should we keep him on the roster just to do so?

Why? We paid him, and now get a chance to looks another player. That's the way the NFL works.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns have released DE Chris Smith

Link Copied to Clipboard