Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
If the Browns do decide to move on from Kitchens, their list of Head Coaching Candidates should be very short if Dorsey is going stay on as GM

(Which I figure he gets another chance at choosing a HC even if im not a fan)

1. Jim Caldwell - Caldwell is an offensive minded coach. He has amassed a 60-52 Regular Season Record as an NFL Head Coach and 6 playoff appearances. He guided both the Colts and the hapless Detroit Lions to the playoffs twice in each tenure. He has been a QB Coach with the Colts, Ravens, and Dolphins.

He has worked his way up the ranks from college position coach, to coordinator, to NFL position coach, to OC, to Assistant Head Coach to Coach. Caldwell is VERY GOOD with QB, and I believe he could really help Mayfield a ton. Matt Stafford had some of his best years in Detroit when Caldwell was there. This guy should certainly be on our radar, and I'd love to have him here as a HC. The guy commands respect, runs the lockeroom, players like him, he is stern, but fair at the same time. He would be an overall asset to this organization.

Jim Caldwell deserves another shot as an NFL Head Coach and we would be very lucky to have him choose Cleveland as that place. He won't let us down, I promise. the guy is an overall great guy and a great coach, the team will be well coached under Caldwell.

2. Chuck Pagano is a defensive minded coach, and he was our secondary coach the last time the Browns made the playoffs(2001). Bruce Arians and Pagano first met while coaching together with the Browns in 2001. Bruce Arians has raved about how good of a coach Pagano is. Pagano has compiled a 53-43 Reg Season record as an NFL HC, and 6 playoff appearances. Pagano being the defensive minded coach he is would probably be fine with Dorsey picking his OC, so it seems like a good match.

Pagano has always fielded very well coached teams. He is a guy players respect, and much like Caldwell, he is stern, but fair. As with Caldwell,He won't take no lip from no one, but he will come to his players defense when they are being treated unfairly.

Pagano would be a fantastic choice as a head coach for this young Browns team.

To be frank i'd take either of these guys over McCarthy or any of the other big names out there. Both of these guys are HUNGRY to get back on the Head Coach train, they gotta a lot to prove, but they have track records of steady success which is exactly what this organization needs.

I am not saying we should totally discount looking at any of the big names, but i'd take Pagano or Caldwell over any of the college guys and that includes Meyer, Riley, and Rhule.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
What type of offensive philosophy do each have? How adaptable is it to the players on the roster? More importantly, will they adapt it?

T
Legend
Legend
T
How about Both, Caldwell and Pagano, and an admin, to you know just stay on as a figurehead,

Browns need all the help they can get, Just give everybody a different, specific role and nobody gets overwhelmed. (As much)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
What type of offensive philosophy do each have? How adaptable is it to the players on the roster? More importantly, will they adapt it?

More importantly, will these guys agree to keep good players already on the Browns, in leiu of bringing in guys they had a relationship with from some other NFL team,

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: Hamfist

More importantly, will these guys agree to keep good players already on the Browns, in leiu of bringing in guys they had a relationship with from some other NFL team,
That's Dorseys job. The HC can make suggestions, but its Dorseys roster to fill.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Caldwell is welcome to be our QB coach. More than that, no thanks.

Pagano would depend a lot on the OC (and rest of the offensive staff) he could bring with him and whether he'd want to switch to a 3-4 base. I'd rather not switch again.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Going forward, I'm really wanting a strong defensive minded head coach. Someone who can focus on the team, invoke discipline, and allow the OC to strictly focus on the offense and play calling, and nothing more.

I know this model isn't the popular trend anymore,as it was in years past, but after Freddie, I'm not a fan of head coaches calling their own plays.

Trouble in this model is finding a solid OC, who isn't looking to jump ship and be a HC.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Going forward, I'm really wanting a strong defensive minded head coach. Someone who can focus on the team, invoke discipline, and allow the OC to strictly focus on the offense and play calling, and nothing more.

I know this model isn't the popular trend anymore,as it was in years past, but after Freddie, I'm not a fan of head coaches calling their own plays.

Trouble in this model is finding a solid OC, who isn't looking to jump ship and be a HC.
Baker has had Hue/Haley, Freddie last year, and Freddie this year with Monken.

This SHOULD be the last time we changes coaches for a LONG time. I want someone that's not going to moving on in another year, making Baker have to yet again another offense. I would rather it be an offensive guy, where Baker and the offense can build cohesiveness and continue that for years to come.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

This SHOULD be the last time we changes coaches for a LONG time. I want someone that's not going to moving on in another year, making Baker have to yet again another offense. I would rather it be an offensive guy, where Baker and the offense can build cohesiveness and continue that for years to come.

Yea.. and after 7 games of mixed results.. Everyone will be calling to fire that coach and get somene else smile

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan

Yea.. and after 7 games of mixed results.. Everyone will be calling to fire that coach and get somene else smile
Difference would be that the offense actually showed something to keep moving forward with smile

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H

It is what it is .. mixed results in the NFL brings change .. It is a business after all ...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
P
Legend
Legend
P
Where some fans get confused is by thinking with all of those billions of dollars involved in today's game, that it's still a sport.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If they pick one of those 2 boobs, it only proves ownership/management does not want to win.

Or it proves how eternally hopeless they are in any sort of talent evaluation.

Legend
Legend

Just save time and hire and fire him in the same day. wink

Plus, it could save time ...... I mean, think of it ..... "We are proud to introduce the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns, who we are now relieving of his duties ....."

Could anything be more Cleveland than that? rofl

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 12/24/19 02:18 PM.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I don't know where all you guys have been this entire century,but I've been sorta paying attention.
I have come to the realization,that it doesn't matter who the Browns hire,who the Browns fire,who they sign,who that let go,it's going to turn out badly.
So keep Freddie,fire Freddie,it won't matter.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
I don't know where all you guys have been this entire century,but I've been sorta paying attention.
I have come to the realization,that it doesn't matter who the Browns hire,who the Browns fire,who they sign,who that let go,it's going to turn out badly.
So keep Freddie,fire Freddie,it won't matter.

I know, we should let Goddell do our HC search.

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H

The trouble is in finding a head coach that has the whole package. This means having systems and the structure in place that allows for players and coaches to be developed to replace those that leave for bigger money and better jobs.

This was one of the things that was flawed with the "Let's promote Freddie to HC because then there's no way he can be hired away" line of thinking. Offensive coordinators are replaceable. If your OC (or DC) is doing that good of a job over a period of multiple years, some other team is probably going to want to hire that person to be their head coach and there's nothing you can really do to stop it.

We might as well just accept it. If your head coach is good enough at his job, that system/scheme is still in place. You're still recruiting talent not just on the field, but in the coaching staff and beyond as well. See New England. Coaches come and go, I've lost count how many of them went on to be head coaches somewhere but that machine is still rolling. Do we even know who is calling plays on defense over there?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe Dorsey needs to work backwards .. Find the DC and OC that he will commit his name to and then find a Head Coach that fells like he can steer That Ship ?

P
Legend
Legend
P
You'll have a very hard time finding a HC worth his salt to ever take that structure.

Each HC has systems they like to run. With that in mind they want to hire an OC and DC that run those systems. Forcing coordinators on them does not make that possible.

At this juncture not only does Dorsey need to hire a qualified candidate at HC in the event that Freddie is fired, but one whose offensive and defensive philosophies line up well with the talent we have assembled.

A big picture thought process will be needed here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Maybe we should find some "REAL PLAYERS".. Players that DONT need motivated by speeches or hand holding and give it 100 percent no matter the coach or record.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, it's all the good players that suck. wink

Maybe if you give them a system that can produce they can give you production.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Im sure TJ Watt would manage somehow..Or a Clay Matthews..

P
Legend
Legend
P
Mmmmm hmmmm....

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Most of the time when there is a regime change the babies get tossed out with the bathwater.

Schemes change. Players that don't fit what the new group wants to run get moved out.

My thoughts are if this happens the candidates have to be screened to know this roster. Have ideas to take advantage of the talent here. So the transition is more seamless.

Look at guys who would have a plan for Baker/Chubb/Hunt/Odell/Landry/Myles etc.

We have core talent. They should not be wasted.

In addition the division is changing. Lamar and the Ravens are going to be a major problem. The Steelers will be a different team if Ben retires. If Ben plays then that needs to looked at.

There are many things that need to be considered.

This time around qualified experience is a must.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Matt Rhule at least needs to get an interview. I’ve always thought Ken Niumatalolo should get some NFL love, he seems to be a great leader. Matt Wells, who is now at Texas Tech, built Utah State into a pretty good program, I would take a look at him. Kyle Whittingham is a great coach at Utah. It might seem crazy but I would even look into Joe Brady the LSU offensive coordinator. I believe all of the above names are at least worth an interview. Innovation happens on the college level and these guys are all great leaders as well.

We all know the NFL names. They are obvious and everyone will interview for all the positions. Thinking outside the box is important in these circumstances.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Maybe Dorsey needs to work backwards .. Find the DC and OC that he will commit his name to and then find a Head Coach that fells like he can steer That Ship ?

Dorsey needs to hire a head coach and let that person hire his own staff. I believe part of Kitchens problem on offense has been a forced marriage between he and Todd Monken.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't want him, but Adam Gase will be available next Monday, if not sooner ...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footba...b6ye-story.html

Last edited by Dave; 12/24/19 06:07 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dave
I don't want him, but Adam Gase will be available next Monday, if not sooner ...

The Jets owner said he would be back next year. Let’s see if that holds up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

There was a time I thought he'd be big.. . well, he made it. He's a big a-hole.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

Then he should be looking to land with the steelers.

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

Then he should be looking to land with the steelers.

Gase to the Steelers, Mike Tomlin to the Browns - that's perfect for me.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: waterdawg

I don't see that. The head coach needs to hire his coordinators.

You don't hire coordinators before you hire a head.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Guy's I was talking tung in cheek on the backwards hire .. Bone I'm not sure Dorsey hired Monken or Wilks to fit the players we had , that is the problem..
What ever Dorsey and Kitchen's had up their sleeve bombed .. To much rooster turn over in two season's .. Dorsey has hit on several DRAFT picks and the jury is still out on trades ( Landry was a hit )..

E
Legend
Legend
E

Let's invent a time machine and go get him!

No Craps Given
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

Bring him back.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist

Bring him back.

Are any of his former players still in the league for us to sign?

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
E
Legend
Legend
E
If we fire Kitchens which I don't think we will. We will have to make a super star hire. And that short list provided just doesn't make it...

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Seems like this would be completely backwards. Head coach's picks for the top two to bring in or at least have a say in who is kept from existing staff. Still, something different might be a good changeup for Dorsey (if he is here). Kitchens may be so sour as to be the first domino with his mangling of his game duties. May cause more fallout beyond himself.

I am not sure if Chubb's title, a major feat, can be enough. I don't want another year like this with his lame calls and dumb judgment. Deliver us from more of his "1-0" tripe. I could see us getting rolled this Sunday. How bad is too bad or bad enough?

If he should be kept, what are you building on, what must absolutely be kept? And exactly what is going forward at this point?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist

Bring him back.

Ya, lets get him ... i think Sashi may have hired him and hes working for the Wizards now ... *L* ....

Is dude even in football anymore ... if so, whats he doing ... i know he was OFF the field for a few years ...

U wanna hire this guy and u have the balls to tell me to go root for the Jills cause I wouldn’t debate U on the merits of firing Freddie during the game when we were BEATING THE BILLS none the less ...

Real classy dude ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend

I am not endorsing this guy but I'm just saying:

Under McCarthy, the Packers went to the playoffs nine seasons, played in the NFC Championship Game four times and won Super Bowl XLV. He is also a quarterbacks coach and an offensive guy.

We could do worse.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Short-List of Head Coaching Candidates

Link Copied to Clipboard