Thread Like Summary
fishtheice, MemphisBrownie, WSU Willie
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by WSU Willie
WSU Willie
I struggled for another place to put this...so I'm starting a new thread. The/An 'Other Games' thread could work I suppose...but this isn't about the other games...it's about the other TEAMS.

We know who the teams are in the AFC that are going to be in it at the end of the season:

Bills...Chargers...Chiefs...Ravens...most certainly

Us...Titans...maybe Bengals...Steelers/Goodell...Raiders?

Anyway...we've now played the Chargers and Chiefs...I've watched the Steelers/Bengals/Ravens in several games...the Bills a couple times along with the Raiders. The only one I've not got a good watch on are the Titans. We are still missing a fair amount of what most of the above teams already have...and I'm skipping the QB urinating-contest here...

We think/thought/have-been-told how great our "weapons" are...but...outside of RBs...

We don't have a WR core that matches up with the bulk of the above teams...the Bengals, Steelers, Chiefs, Bills, & Chargers all have better WRs than we have...I don't think it's even close...

Nor do we have the TEs that many of these teams have...we have (3) good ones...but the Ravens, Chiefs, Bengals, Bills, & Raiders all have TEs that routinely make big plays...

We don't (yet) have a scheme (or maybe talent) that gets players wide open like I just watched tonight...or like I watch when I see other teams and the separation that their pass-catchers get...it also isn't even close...

We also don't have the "Duos" that other teams do...outside or RBs...of course.

I'm talking like Hill & Kelce...Andrews & Brown...Chargers WRs...Steelers WRs...Bills WRs + Knox...even Chase & Ozumoah + young receivers...we have OBJ (sometimes)...Landry (usually)...Higgins and (3) good-not-great TEs. But the talent in our combined WR/TE groups is well-behind most-if-not-all teams listed in here.

We have a highly-rated OLine that is banged up like a Bus in a Figure-8 demolishon derby...but they don't get open or catch the ball...healthy or not. Other OLines - not as highly-rated as ours - sure seem to give their QBs plenty of time...regardless of where they are ranked.

We don't have that Defense - or that guy - who gets off the field or gets the stop when we need it.

We don't have that feeling of dominance that many of these other teams have...and that our offense somehow created in the last half of last year...

We have a good team...likely a very good team...but in many, many ways...our talent/groups is not where it needs to be to win games like I just watched tonight...and it isn't really close.

My hope is that this thread doesn't turn into a Baker fart-fest...I'm certain that it will if it lasts long enough...but hoping for some input on what it is that we DO NOT have in comparison to what our AFC opponents have.
Liked Replies
by DiamDawg
DiamDawg
I didn’t want to derail Willie’s thread anymore than I all ready had but it looks like it’s ran it’s course …

Was I calling u coco puffs …. If the shoe fits wear it … wink

Kev did not go into a shell at the end of the KC game … it’s just wrong to say that …

Which game? Playoffs he definitely did. Go rewatch that drive at 4-5 min and tell me those are typical stefanski aggressiveness.

Wasn’t referring to this game … I can’t remember it and have no desire to go re-watch it … weren’t we losing in that game? I don’t remember us being ahead in Q4 .. I remember the overrated one’s fumble and letting a slow poke QB run for a first on like 3rd and 34 or something ridiculous like that … am I misremembering? … not that it matters other than I don’t know why we would go into a shell when were losing …

And KC2021, just as CHargers game, he was forced OUT of his shell on the final drive becuase we needed TDs to win. But the preceding potential closeout drives he sure did.

Lets start with this years KC game:

Our 3rd last possession with a 2 point lead

Sack on 1st down so it was going tp be a pass
4 yard completion to Hunt on 2nd down
Incomplete deep left to Njoku

That doesn’t sound conservative to me ..

2nd last possession

Run Nick on 1st down … illegal shift

10 yard completion to VG
2nd and 5 a -2 yard run by the best RB in football - nothing wrong with that in my book
3rd down pass to Schwartz incomplete deep left

Then the last series the pick ….

I SEE ZERO CONSERVATIVE THERE … I’m not sure why U or anyone else would call that conservative … coco puffs if u do IMO

Bolts game:

3rd last drive TD in a tie game

2nd last drive with 1 pt lead

Run on 1st down …. No issue with that what so ever … smart actually in my book …
Incomplete pass deep left to the over rated one on 2nd down … once again … not conservative
Then the 3rd down debacle …. Seeing as how I’m not coco puffs I believe it was well beyond conservative and was down right STUPID ..

The last drive was STUPID also …

I don’t see anything close to conservative in the KC game
U could make an argument on the last play of the 2nd last drive and the last drive that he was to conservative … i wouldn’t argue with that … I think he just had a brain fart and turned chicken cause of the OL not cause of a lack of faith in Bake

Anyone saying Kev has taken the gunslinger out of Bake isn’t paying attention or has no clue what there watching …. NONE …

Because you say so?

Well it is my opinion and what i saw …. so ya … smile

Baker is NOT pulling the trigger on open throws.

I don’t understand how thats on Kev … are u saying Kev is making him so afraid to make a mistake he’s afraid to throw yo open receivers … u lost me there dawg … i don’t understand …

In some cases, he's off in his timing...waiting split second longer would change his reads. In other cases, he's staring right at it and just won't trust his eyes.

Bake’s always had the issue … it’s not new … he’s never been real fast at processing info or trusting his eyes … that’s not an issue that started with Kev

And lets not forget the last 8 games or so last year Bake threw 1 pick and a bunch of TD’s and we heard no complaints about Kev - as a matter of fact it was the exact opposite - this year we lose 2 heartbreakers and all of a sudden Kev is taking the gunslinger out of Bake … I call BS!

e put up 42 points and some of these dolts are reading way to much into the fact Bake hardly went down field in ONE GAME where we didn’t have our starting LT and we pounded the crap out of them on the ground … add in the bolts suck against the run and are very good against the pass with a very good pass rush …

That's fine and dandy to point to Bosa and our backup tackles, but they played really well. Baker had little pressure on him. Similarly, people blaming our injured CBs is off base. THey played winning football overall, with the safeties (Delpit) crapping the bed.

I believe Bake had very little to no pressure because Kev had an outstanding game plan based on ground and pound and quick passes to get the ball out of Bake’s hands quickly - the reason was two fold - 1st to take the pressure off the tackles (Conklin has shortcomings in pass blocking) and the pressure the bolts put on - and Bake does not handle pressure well at all

U made ZERO points that would make me reconsider my original statements - I stick by coco puffs and dolts - wink
1 member likes this
by steve0255
steve0255
In layman terms that is what I've been trying to say. Sunday was a perfect example of what happens when you play a controlled game but lose your control. Chubb down and then Hunt who wasn't delivering the way the scheme is set anyway. Suddenly, though not unexpected, in game 6 the team needs the controlled QB to suddenly become a "gunslinger" and carry the team on his back.

Now I know Baker was hurting while playing behind a makeshift line but the stats generated at the position was basically the same as with every other game. 19/28 @ 67.8% completion record for 237 yards and a 100.0 plus QB rating including a fumble, an INT combined with 5 sacks. Mayfield took five sacks in the game, but none were credited against the offensive line. The offensive line unit allowed only nine pressures, with J.C. Tretter being the only member to stay clean in pass protection. The other four linemen earned 70.0-plus pass-blocking grades upon first review. Meanwhile, Baker generated the same numbers he's averaged through the previous 5 games. Let's not forget that 57 of those passing yards came on a "Hail Mary" that was pure luck and can't be stated any other way. Eliminate that play and Baker passed for a whopping 180 yards for the game. Now let's be perfectly clear, I am not bashing Baker. The Browns scheme is not set up to play from behind. The passing offense is not set up to score quick and as I've stated before, the Browns have a nonexistent 2-minute drill offense. However, you have to ask yourself, how can the Browns be down 20-0 and allowing the Cards to score on their first 5 possessions and then continue to run a game plan scheme where your QB only throws 19 total passes the rest of the game after the team is down 20-0 at the 9 minute mark in the second quarter?

I have not and do not say Ski's scheme is bunk. What I will say is that he has clearly taken a "gunslinger" and made him into a game control QB. Having said that, Ski currently has almost totally eliminated the Browns from being able to score quickly/run a feared 2-minute offense or be competitive and close out games if the run game is weaker than expected. It is also becoming evident that Ski has no intention of either adjusting the scheme or taking his franchise QB to the next level. Love the run game all that you can but you cannot win consistently if you cannot move the ball consistently through the air. You certainly don't appear to want to win the game when your franchise QB only gets 19 pass plays in 2 and 3/4 quarters when you're losing 20 - 0.

I still say the Browns need to take the next 2 - 3 weeks of practice and work on nothing but the 2-minute offense and closing out games. They must have the ability to score quick when needed and learn how to close out games. If we're going to make the playoffs this must be fixed quickly or it's going to be a long season. We haven't beat a team that currently has a winning record and lost 3 games to potential SB contenders. This week we pay 3 - 3 Denver before getting into division play with PIT and CIN after that. We're already 2 games behind the Ravens so time is getting short to get this fixed. It doesn't matter who you want to blame or who/what the problem is - if it doesn't get fixed it could be a very difficult season to swallow.
1 member likes this
by steve0255
steve0255
I was just posting what was written when evaluating the different parts of the team. I also am not so blind to see that there were issues with the line (particularly Hudson) but we are not the only team with O-line injuries - just a fact. My concern still is the lack of a quick score offense and closing out wins which we are lacking in so far in 2021.
1 member likes this