DawgTalkers.net
Not who I would have picked.
We will see if he can make the transition to LT or not. He looks like he will be able to make the change and Saban thinks it' won't be an issue same with Berry.
Alabama produces good lineman. I hope he can make the switch.
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
We will see if he can make the transition to LT or not.
He blocked for a Left Handed Tua, so it might not be that big a jump. And his skill set from what I have read is suited for it.
Who.
I'm sure some are happy.
I would have picked Wirfs, but Wills is not the worst we could have picked. Better than Becton or cleveland
He is a Brown Welcome Jedrick Wills Jr. thumbsup
With Thomas gone I thought this would be who they take. Have to try and protect Baker.
Yes, some are...Baker, Chubb, and Hunt.
We will see how it goes. Not a bad pick. Kid def has talent.
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
We will see if he can make the transition to LT or not.
He blocked for a Left Handed Tua, so it might not be that big a jump. And his skill set from what I have read is suited for it.

Personally, I think he should be fine for that exact reason.

He will definitely have to start strengthening his new push-off leg.
j/c:

I think it's a solid pick. There is some question about moving to LT, but he has the athleticism to play the position. I was hoping for Simmons or Thomas, but both were gone. I'm good w/this pick. For now. LOL

The second tackle in a class of four.

They have to like the guy.
Who would you have picked?

Welcome to Cleveland. Might as well win. Play proud.
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Who would you have picked?

Wirfs.
Man Becton is awfully fat. I would have a lot of concern over him getting even fatter...
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen
With Thomas gone I thought this would be who they take. Have to try and protect Baker.

And WHO might be available for some one on one counsel? Yup...
Yes!!!!!

He was my 3rd ranked player, no way should he have lasted to 10. Wirfs is a guard, becton is gonna eat his was out of the league and thomas I loved but his best is going to be pretty good.

Wills is a beast. Power, length, feet and technique. If he had played Lt he is gone top 3 or 4.
Maybe it is just me, but after Jacksonville picked Henderson, "the pick was in" for Cleveland happened pretty quickly.
It's a good pick. He shouldn't have any problem moving to LT according to Nick Saban and the experts. I'm happy with this pick!!
I am happy they picked rather than trading down.

The idea that I am going to have hours of this talking head frontal assault is numbing me. And non-stop Goodell.

Can this just be downloaded as a silent file Sunday?

Go, Browns.

Brett likes Jed more than Wirfs... The video is good to watch though
Solid pick
I love the pick. Most of what I've read, people always had him ranked either 1 or 2 for tackles. He was considered one of the safest picks. The only worry is him moving to the left and picking up the technique. But he has the skills and the ability to do it.
We didn't waste anytime picking him which means we got our man smile
Got the number 2 guy on my draft board (number 1 was Chase Young). I'm ecstatic.
Wills might switch to LT , OR, Conklin can go to LT. He's played it before. Good pick
My two OT's in this draft I thought were worthy of a top 10 pick were Thomas and Wills in that order. They came off the board in that order.

There was no "run on OT's" as many had predicted. That too was something I didn't see happening.

Now the question is how much further will the other two fall?

With Simmons and Brown both off the board, I'm pretty happy with the pick. Yes there is somewhat of a questions as to whether he can make the transition from RT to LT. But if anyone in this draft class has the ability to do so, he is that guy.

Well the Jets just took a huge gamble on Becton. I knew somebody would. lol
Well, my wish came true. I wanted to be able to say “That was a solid pick.” and I can.

No muss, no fuss, no teeth-gnashing.
Love the pick, Thomas gone, didn't want to spend draft capital to get their guy....never know....I like Ala over Georgia players...welcome Wills....Go Browns!!!
I really didn’t see him being there at 10. Pretty happy with the pick.
I dont hate the pick...LT is obviously a huge need...praying he is our answer.
I think the thing that is most concerning, Berry basically said we would draft the kid and he was prepping us for the pick.
#Browns GM Andrew Berry: Incredibly excited to add Jedrick Wills. Last 2 years at Alabama and his makeup, we thought he fit what we needed. Great feet, advanced in pass pro and very physical in the run game. Well-rounded player. Impressed by his organization habits and routine.

@ByNateUlrich
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
My two OT's in this draft I thought were worthy of a top 10 pick were Thomas and Wills in that order. They came off the board in that order.

There was no "run on OT's" as many had predicted. That too was something I didn't see happening.

Now the question is how much further will the other two fall?

With Simmons and Brown both off the board, I'm pretty happy with the pick. Yes there is somewhat of a questions as to whether he can make the transition from RT to LT. But if anyone in this draft class has the ability to do so, he is that guy.

Well the Jets just took a huge gamble on Becton. I knew somebody would. lol

rofl
I think the thing that is most concerning, Berry basically said we would draft the kid and he was prepping us for the pick.

Why is that concerning?
seems like a good pick
Solid pick and future pro bowler. Take it to the bank.
He tipped his hand a few weeks ago when he said there’s no difference between LT/RT lol
Offense is set time to draft some Defense thumbsup
Kid seems smart enough to pick it up..

He blocked blindside... which is the biggest concern, It's gonna feel different. But it's really going to be a lot of the same.
Like it.... I think he'll move over easily.... we actually have a really solid coach in Callahan... I have no doubt he'll be able to make the move...
I like that they let the draft come to them. We were going to get a great player prospect at 10 that filled a need, and that is exactly what happened.

This team is going to pound the ball.
I did like hearing that he has a nasty streak. We need it

Jedrick Wills Jr.® Heavy plus signEarth globe americasCometTwo hearts
@JWills73
·
17m
Just lemme know how much time you need to finish your route 13🤞🏽Face with look of triumph
I like our pick...was worried we would try to get cute and trade down. I think S our biggest need now.

Go Browns!
Originally Posted By: FrankPitts
I like our pick...was worried we would try to get cute and trade down. I think S our biggest need now.

Go Browns!

Safety and LB
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

#TacklesAreTackles
Originally Posted By: The Collector

Brett likes Jed more than Wirfs... The video is good to watch though

That was great, I learned stuff.
Love the pick, with Callahan as the OL coach, I don’t think moving to LT will be a problem. Also going up against MG everyday in practice we will know pretty quickly if he has IT!
Solid pick - I'll trust Callahan to get him switched over to the left side.

I just hope he learns quickly, because this offense is built to win now, but a subpar LT could throw everything out the window.

Was really hoping for Simmons and then trading for Trent Williams, but, alas, it wasn't meant to be.
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

#TacklesAreTackles

Except, when they are not. LMAO
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

#TacklesAreTackles

is that a Tarzan/Jane thing?
I hope we take a solid guard prospect too later.
j/c...

Good pick. LT position should be covered for the foreseeable future.

Ready for rounds 2 and 3.

Have faith. This has been my guy all along.

His ability and athleticism. His technique and the way he moves.

I don't think the switch will be tough for him at all. My top tackle in the draft. Many other folks too
j/c...

Good answer
Joe Thomas had him ranked 2nd, behind becton, becton because of his ceiling
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
I am happy they picked rather than trading down.

The idea that I am going to have hours of this talking head frontal assault is numbing me. And non-stop Goodell.

Can this just be downloaded as a silent file Sunday?

Go, Browns.
Its called a mute button.
Let's just say Joe was ecstatic with this pick while being interviewed on the Fan.
Originally Posted By: ThomasE
Joe Thomas had him ranked 2nd, behind becton, becton because of his ceiling

I thought Joe Thomas had it 1A) and 1B). Is 1B really 2nd?
Browns nab Bama's Wills with No. 10 pick to plug tackle hole

The Associated Press
TOM WITHERS (AP Sports Writer)
The Associated PressApr 23, 2020, 10:10 PM

Yahoo Newsletter
Get all the sports news you need, direct to your inbox.

Email Address
By subscribing, you are agreeing to Yahoo's Terms and Privacy Policy

Browns nab Bama's Wills with No. 10 pick to plug tackle hole
FILE - In this Nov. 30, 2019, file photo, Alabama offensive lineman Jedrick Wills Jr. (74) sets up to block against Auburn defensive lineman Big Kat Bryant (1) during the first half of an NCAA college football game in Auburn, Ala. The Cleveland Browns selected Wills in the first round of th NFL draft Thursday, April 23, 2020. (AP Photo/Vasha Hunt, File)
More
CLEVELAND (AP) -- The Cleveland Browns filled an enormous hole at left tackle with one college football's best right tackles.

With three of the top four tackle prospects still available, Cleveland used the No. 10 overall pick in Thursday's NFL draft to select Alabama's Jedrick Wills Jr., who spent the past two seasons protecting quarterback Tua Tagovailoa and will now have Baker Mayfield's blind side.

A starting left tackle has been a top priority for the past two seasons for the Browns, and this was the perfect year to find one. New general manager Andrew Berry, who returned to the Browns after one season in Philadelphia's front office, made Wills the first pick of his tenure.

''We thought he was a guy who fit in terms of talent, makeup and need,'' Berry said. ''He's perfect for us.''

The 6-foot-4, 312-pound Wills played right tackle for the Crimson Trade, but he - and the Browns - are confident he can slide to the other side and perform. The Browns are set at right tackle after signing free agent Pro Bowl tackle Jack Conklin to a three-year, $42 million contract last month.

''I do think there is going to be some physical reprogramming,'' Berry said.

Going in to the draft, there were at least four top-flight prospects to choose from, and Cleveland also investigated acquiring seven-time Pro Bowler Trent Williams from Washington. Williams has been on the Browns' radar for more than year. Former general manager John Dorsey wanted to trade for him last year, but the Redskins were unwilling to deal the 31-year-old.

Cleveland has been looking for a long-term solution at left tackle since perennial All-Pro and likely Hall of Famer Joe Thomas ruptured his triceps in 2017 and retired before the 2018 season.

When it was Cleveland's turn to pick, Georgia's Andrew Thomas was the only top tackle prospect not available after going to the New York Giants at No. 4. Iowa's Tristan Wirfs and Louisville's Mekhi Becton were still on the board, but Berry opted for Wills, who made 28 consecutive starts for coach Nick Saban at Alabama and faced some of the SEC's top edge rushers.

Before drafting Wills, Berry said the Browns consulted with linebacker Mack Wilson, his former college teammate, and Wilson said, ''Man, Jed's a baller.''

Berry could have traded down and potentially still gotten Wills, but he didn't want to take any chances and addressed the Browns' most pressing need.

Cleveland went 6-10 last season and entered the draft with seven picks.

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-nab-bamas-wills-no-10-pick-plug-021034540--nfl.html
6'4" is a bit of a concern.
Wills doesn't turn 21 till May 17th.

He's still growing!

34 1/4" Arms, though so he has solid length.

Not being tall might actually be good for Baker.
j/c...

Good info bro
NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Jedrick Wills | NFL.com
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jedrick-wills?id=32195749-4c62-6320-8b63-20c37d057bf8

NFL Comparison
Jason Peters

I'd take that.
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

I really like Joe Thomas scouting report on Wills. I like the toughness and mean streak.
Let’s hope Joe T is correct. I dont trust Becton ... weve been burned too much by red flags
I'm ok with this
j/c...

thumbsup
Let's go Joe!!
j/c...

That line about the Browns could have tradded down and gotten wills is crap.... there were two OT taken in the three picks after the Browns,,. Wills could have easily been gone if we traded down,... if wills is the guy you take him and don't fart around with trading,,,,,
I had the Giants taking Wills at 4 so ... welcome aboard.

Wills is a Nasty run blocker who isn't even 21 years old.

My preference is more length, but hey folks we have another OT now to pair with Conklin.
929 pass block snaps. 1 qb sack allowed.

Nuff said.
Originally Posted By: jaybird
That line about the Browns could have tradded down and gotten wills is crap.... there were two OT taken in the three picks after the Browns,,. Wills could have easily been gone if we traded down,... if wills is the guy you take him and don't fart around with trading,,,,,

The Jets would of snapped him up in a second. My buddy is a huge Jets fan and was legitimately bummed that we grabbed Wills right in front of them. The fact that the Browns "rushed to the podium" and the Jets worked the phone lines down to the last minute sort of shows you which team really got the guy they wanted.

I had Wills as my top guy, with Thomas at 1b. Was hoping to get one of those two or Simmons, and we did. Beckton had the most potential, Thomas was the most fundamentally sound, Wirfs had the best combine, but I felt Wills was the best all-arounder. He checked most the boxes. About the only one he didn't check was "Left" Tackle, but the guy has the work ethic to learn it.
Psyched.

Best OT in the draft, in my opinion. Was hoping AZ would have taken Wirfs and we would have choice of Wills and Simmons. Had hunch that Henderson was going to Jags regardless. Wonder who they would have gone with it if that played out.

You knew Wills was the man for Berry because there was absolutely no hesitation in making the pick - fastest pick of the night, I think.
This draft proved that OT is still highly valued in the first round.

People call it a skill position. They get slotted like skill positions.

There is no way Wills would have been there had they traded down.
I like what I’ve read about Wills ... and our FO clearly wanted him. Good job!
Love'd Joe Thomas's reaction and comments...SB. He says 3 months, I trust in Joe....hire him to coach him up....GO Browns...get a couple more studs.....YES!!!!
AGAINST SEC competition....GO Browns!!!!
Good start.

Now nab some talent for the D.
I like the pick, welcome to Cleveland, Jed.

I have to give the Browns GM, Andrew Berry, an 'A' for resisting all the crazy scenarios about trading out of the #10 spot, trading down to gain more draft picks (aka, moneyball) and taking one of the lesser OTs, such as Izra Cleveland.

The Browns had a need and addressed it..what more could a Browns fan want?

I wonder if there are people on this board who think we should have instead drafted the one guy who got through Wills.

You know, like the conversation we had about which coach to hire. Hire the guy from SF because they beat Minnesota in the playoffs.
j/c

Not sure how many used or found this site during the run up to the draft:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jedrick-wills/uwreR0CQzu

There are 5 different reviews of Wills there - overall they had him as the #5 player on their big board.
Andrew Berry Conference Call
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/andrew-berry-jedrick-wills-post-pick-press-conference

Paul DePodesta Conference Call
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/pa...leveland-browns

Kevin Stefanski Conference Call
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/kevin-stefanski-jedrick-wills-post-pick-press-conference

Jedrick Wills Conference Call
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/jedrick-wills-jr-press-conference

Thank You Berry Berry Much

Film Room: Analyzing Jedrick Wills fit in the Browns new offense
ByJAKE BURNS 48 minutes ago

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...ense-146417540/
j/c...

thumbsup nanner grin

My guy all the way, had an inkling he was the guy we were targeting. Kid has been working on the switch for several months. Hard worker and a STUD! Our LT for the next 10+ years!

Kid is a natural for the zone blocking scheme his lateral movement is excellent and he has the quick kick step to get back and control those speed edge rushers.

Between working with Joe Thomas and they can do that whenever they want as Joe is not an employee of the Browns. Don't underestimate the value of Bill Callahan...the kid will be great! So So Happy for the Browns and their fans!

Now onto our next pick...not quantity but QUALITY!!!
Their will be a Jedrick Willis section in the Joe Thomas Beach Comber Bar & Grill on the Isle .. thumbsup
Good read, as usual for Jake
Becton had to be tempting, I mean that dude looks like a monster. He looks like at a minimum a dominator at RT. He just looks different than the other OTs....but he also may eat himself out of the league....

Wills has really good balance, he's a knee bender and he can roll out his hips pretty well. He's got that short, choppy, balanced, Joe Thomas looking kick step.

Wirfs just doesn't seem to have the balance that Wills does. Wirfs over strides on his kick step a lot. He gets his feet too vertical and opens his hips, I saw him get himself out of position far too often.

Look this is a good scheme fit for what we are trying to do....we are going to run the football.
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Their will be a Jedrick Willis section in the Joe Thomas Beach Comber Bar & Grill on the Isle .. thumbsup

It’s on the left side.
Did you see Becton’s dad?? That dude has to weigh 450 ... I mean, just massive
After sleeping on it, I feel better about this pick. I didn't think it was terrible yesterday, thought it was average, but today I feel much better about it.

We needed a LT, and there is no denying this kid has talent and Saban was really high on him.

I think we will be ok, Stephanski likes to run the ball and this kid is a road grader...Hunt and Chubb both gotta be licking their chops right now.
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Did you see Becton’s dad?? That dude has to weigh 450 ... I mean, just massive

I said his dad looks like Jason Peters!

Also

I wanted Thomas. Then I was SUPER bummed when Simmons got past Carolina (where he was "supposed" to be taken) only to still be picked up before us. Hope raised and then dashed.

In the videos that I watched (emphasis here) it looks like Wills was playing on an island, only on the right side. He didn't appear to get all that much help.

That said, do we go out and get some vet help to band-aid the position while Wills learns on the fly? It sounds like between Callahan and a little bit of Joe Thomas, Wills will have the resources to make the jump, but I would still feel much better if he had someone to actually beat out. Peters comes to mind.
He's not likely to be the 2nd Coming of Joe T, and he's definitely going to have his hiccups during the season, but I'm excited to see this team run the ball.

This offense has ZERO holes, now.
If Baker returns to 2018 form & efficiency, this has the potential to be Greatest Show on Turf 2.0.

Now, we need a defense. First up: get younger at Free Safety.
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
He's not likely to be the 2nd Coming of Joe T, and he's definitely going to have his hiccups during the season, but I'm excited to see this team run the ball.

This offense has ZERO holes, now.
If Baker returns to 2018 form & efficiency, this has the potential to be Greatest Show on Turf 2.0.

Now, we need a defense. First up: get younger at Free Safety.

I hate to be the one to burst that bubble, but RG is still unsettled.
My boy’s gone ... that more than makes up for it ... thumbsup

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo
j/c,

@JWills73

Seems like they have already given Wills JT #73
My boy’s gone ... that more than makes up for it ... thumbsup

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo

Who's your boy Diam?
Originally Posted By: BpG
Becton had to be tempting, I mean that dude looks like a monster. He looks like at a minimum a dominator at RT. He just looks different than the other OTs....but he also may eat himself out of the league....

Wills has really good balance, he's a knee bender and he can roll out his hips pretty well. He's got that short, choppy, balanced, Joe Thomas looking kick step.

Wirfs just doesn't seem to have the balance that Wills does. Wirfs over strides on his kick step a lot. He gets his feet too vertical and opens his hips, I saw him get himself out of position far too often.

Look this is a good scheme fit for what we are trying to do....we are going to run the football.

See, the reasoning you put there makes me think it wasn't tempting at all. It's why Wills was my top tackle.

To me, on film, Wills was the one that jumped out at me the most. Maybe not physically, and sure, there were things Becton could do that were ridiculous (essentially tossing guys around with one hand, which i doubt he'll be able to do in the NFL), Wills looked like a real professional out there. And a mean one at that.

It's the reason Wills is my top guy. I'm not sure he's going to be a Hall Of Fame Player. I do know, that hands down, he's one of the best pass blockers i've seen in awhile. IMO, Bud Dupree has been neutralized. And that makes me happy. From what i remember, TJ Watt rushes off the side that has the RT. Generally Carlos Dunlap does too.

But Baker can feel good knowing that when he drops back, his blindside will be protected by a very good passblocker
Anyone else at least a little worried about the transition from right to left tackle?
C my sig ... guess its time for a change ... *L* ...
I approve of the pick. However, I think we should actually watch him play in the NFL before we start making definitive proclamations about just how good he is.

Last year, a poster started a thread about how good Kitchens is. I said I would w/hold judgement until I saw him actually be the HC for most of a season.

Again, I like the pick at 10. It's just too early to start talking about him in such glowing terms. Of course, that is just my opinion.
Anyone else at least a little worried about the transition from right to left tackle?

Yes.

Nope.
While I will take anything Joe Thomas says in a player evaluation with a grain of salt as long as he is always so "diplomatic" in his reviews, I absolutely trust him when he talks technique and skills, and he feels it isn't an issue at all.

I would love it if one of the two was on a plane (or in a car starting a road trip) to the other today. It would be GREAT to get Joe to start Wills' transition by mirroring Joe's setup and consistency. Learn his kick step, etc..
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Yes.

I think some of Saban's comments and Wills' comments would make one wonder. I think him playing RT in high school makes one wonder.

On the other hand, he does seem to have pretty good feet. That's huge for having success at playing LT. He also has good knee bend. I think that is important, too.

He did protect Tua's blind side and that is a plus. I do have a question. Did Wills play RT when Hurts was the starter or was he a backup at that time?
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

I hate to be the one to burst that bubble, but RG is still unsettled.

I think we have more than enough guys on the roster right now to call it settled. If that is our weakness, I'll take it.

I also expect us to not only grab one perhaps in the 4th, but we'll bring in a few UDFA's, too.

I consider it a non-issue... it's just a thing that Callahan has to work the guys to see who gets the nod.

A sheer numbers game suggest that a % of guys fail at the transition.

The good, he's only 20 years old.
I hope I'm not hijacking the question... but I wonder if the FO feels confident enough in the pick as-is, or if they'll run out and pick up a Peters to provide some vet competition.

I don't feel good about having Wills transition to LT AND essentially give him the starting job all at the same time. Competing with a guy that just had to restructure his contract to stay on the team is not true competition.
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Yes.

I think some of Saban's comments and Wills' comments would make one wonder. I think him playing RT in high school makes one wonder.

On the other hand, he does seem to have pretty good feet. That's huge for having success at playing LT. He also has good knee bend. I think that is important, too.

He did protect Tua's blind side and that is a plus. I do have a question. Did Wills play RT when Hurts was the starter or was he a backup at that time?

Wills has only played right tackle.

What benefit does protecting a QBs blindside have? I think it’s a nice thing to be able to say but I don’t see any real value in it when switching positions.
C my sig ... guess its time for a change ... *L* ...

Gotcha! And yes that is the biggest improvements from last season. thumbsup
It's a distinct possibility, but I think they might wait until they at least see him in positional drills before they sweat it.

It would be the safe approach, for sure.
With the upgrades to each Tackle position - we don't need great at the RG slot - and I think we probably have the guy on the team that can be plenty good enough.

What benefit does protecting a QBs blindside have? I think it’s a nice thing to be able to say but I don’t see any real value in it when switching positions.

The implication is that Wills was good enough to be trusted with blocking the blindside and that if they had had a right-handed QB he would have been slotted in at LT..... and a player like him, had he been a "natural" LT his entire career, would have been a slam dunk choice.
I think protecting the blind side has some relevance because you typically do not get help from a TE. I did try and watch some game tape of Alabama when I researching Wills. I noticed that they didn't really line-up the TE right next to either tackle on most plays. They tended to flex the TE and sometimes even use him like a H-back.
As others have said, Wills seems to have a lot of natural athletic talent. With Callahan as the o-line coach, and a scheme that is already put together systemically, I feel he will make the jump successfully.
Originally Posted By: mgh888
With the upgrades to each Tackle position - we don't need great at the RG slot - and I think we probably have the guy on the team that can be plenty good enough.

I would still draft an OG.
Wait, so the Packers traded up in hopes that another team would trade up with them for that pick???
Originally Posted By: mgh888

I would to, and I expect we will look to, but if we don't we have enough that it definitely won't kill us.

Maybe in round 5 or 6 ... I'd like to see S, LB, DE and probably a WR before I see a OG taken personally.
p.s. I haven't been this stoked about a Draft pick since Joe Thomas.

I'm going to have to rein myself in to keep myself from putting Joe T-like expectations on Wills.
I think the Browns have more than enough talent on offense.

The season is going to come down to the same things as last year:

--QB play
--Coaching
--Chemistry

All three are question marks at this point. I think all three can improve, but we really don't know.

The implication is that Wills was good enough to be trusted with blocking the blindside and that if they had had a right-handed QB he would have been slotted in at LT..... and a player like him, had he been a "natural" LT his entire career, would have been a slam dunk choice.

I think he played right tackle because he played right tackle in high school.
Interesting to me to see Rap say that we barely thought of Wills until we saw him drop. I wonder if we assumed NYG/SD/AZ would take him ... and I wonder who we DID have mocked
Wills was the top-rated tackle on the Browns' draft board, Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta said. 

Yup. Pretty much.
Yup.
Just remembered that little bit this morning and smiled a bit.
I like the pick. But at the end of the day that means nothing unless he performs. I remember that people liked the Justin Gilbert ("Best CB in the Draft!!!") and Corey Coleman ("Best WR in the Draft!!!") picks too, and those didn't turn out well.

I like the trenches though, so any time we make a pick to bolsters either line and none of the experts are saying "reach" then I'm on board. O-line is a huge need, lets hope this is a home run.
I love Baldy’s breakdowns ... he loves him some browns fans
Breaking News: Nick Chubb has already scored his first two TD's of the 2020 season.
Breaking News: Nick Chubb has already scored his first two TD's of the 2020 season.

Link??
I approve of the pick. However, I think we should actually watch him play in the NFL before we start making definitive proclamations about just how good he is.

Last year, a poster started a thread about how good Kitchens is. I said I would w/hold judgement until I saw him actually be the HC for most of a season.

Again, I like the pick at 10. It's just too early to start talking about him in such glowing terms. Of course, that is just my opinion.

lol, this was my guy. Pretty much the only guy i "pimped' or whatever we used to call it (is it still called that?). I found myself liking all four Tackles, and i wanted them above the next tier. But, i said all along that, for me, Jedrick Wills is in a class with only Andrew Thomas, and i thought he was still clearly better than Thomas.

I can't help it man, i'm going to pimp my guy until i'm wrong, lol. This pick was probably my favorite pick we've made since Joe Thomas. I was excited about Baker, because he was my number 2 QB (behind Rosen), and I thought/still think he is going to be a good one.

But, just like with Joe Thomas, when they said that name, i'm running around the house pumping my arms all excited. I was in college when we drafted Joe Thomas, so it was a bit of a different environment, i remember falling to my knees and saying "Thank God", but this was as close as that's ever been for me.

This guy has me convinced. And a lot of folks overlooked him on the basis of being a RT. But, Andrew Berry and company must have read my posts on here and Twitter and said, "PeteyDanger approved", lol

Anyway,

What went through my head with this is that possibly his HS ran the ball a lot. Maybe that was there scheme. Right handed QB hands the ball off to the right side and runs behind the bulldozer that was Wills. I mean, if you're not throwing the football at all, or if you have a running qb that runs to the right, the LT might not be as important as your RT. You might want your RT to be your best player.

Now, i don't watch much HS football. I'm from CT. It's not a thing like it is in Ohio. Just went through my head, so feel free to tell me if i'm wrong and that makes no sense

Quote:

I believe the past two LTs before Wills was Jonah Williams (went to Cincy 1st round) and Cam Robinson (who was a great college LT, but i think he switched to RT in the pros).

So, he wouldn't have played LT for Hurts
While I love Joe Thomas, I still take his evals of young players with a grain of salt. Until I see he's willing to really rip someone, I don't see my opinion changing.

Re: draft... I was so bummed that both Simmons and Thomas were off the board. I don't hate the Wills pick, just feel that Thomas would've been better. By all indications, the FO disagrees... oh well.

I was absolutely positive that with 3 QBs taken in the top 10, and Carolina passing on Simmons, we would have one of those 2 drop to us. Oh well.

I expect we hit defense hard pretty much the rest of the draft.
Quote:
What went through my head with this is that possibly his HS ran the ball a lot. Maybe that was there scheme. Right handed QB hands the ball off to the right side and runs behind the bulldozer that was Wills. I mean, if you're not throwing the football at all, or if you have a running qb that runs to the right, the LT might not be as important as your RT. You might want your RT to be your best player.

Now, i don't watch much HS football. I'm from CT. It's not a thing like it is in Ohio. Just went through my head, so feel free to tell me if i'm wrong and that makes no sense

I don't think you are wrong. It makes sense and was wondering the same thing. Not sure if it's true, but it is a legit question/thought.
Much like yourself, his extensive playing time at RT with nothing in regards to playing LT had me concerned. I'm not a fan of drafting someone that highly with the expectations of making a position switch. But knowing that it was a distinct possibility given our choices, I did a lot of digging on both him and Wirfs.

What I came away with was this.....

First, the skill set to man the LT position is certainly there. Most RT's are playing that position due to the lesser athletic ability to play LT. That is something that I dispelled right away.

I looked at his grades. I know this isn't the be all end all of anything but I think it gives us a look into whether a player has the mental capacity to be taught considering he will have to make such a transition. What I found that he was an undergraduate in marketing with a 3.82 grade average. That addressed my concerns in that department.

I know you're well aware that even though he played RT, he did protect the QB's blind side but as many have also noted he pretty much played on an island which I know that you also garnered from your observations.

And lastly I looked at scouting reports. What I found was that Wills was projected by many to make the move to LT well before the combine. I feel we both agree that he has the technique and skill set that would lend itself to the LT position. These projections were attributed to him from game film and not a dog and pony show. (combine)

But what I don't like are players who are elevated to a much higher draft status or are said to have the ability to make such a transition based on their combine. To me, if people can not make those projections based on the game film, it makes such evaluations highly questionable.

So when considering the evidence I found after doing some research my concerns were greatly diminished.

Wirfs by contrast did not meet that criteria. Many scouts had him projected as a RT and some a G in the NFL before the combine. Had we have selected Wirfs my level of concern would have been much greater.
That is a very good post. Balanced and fair w/good observations and evidence.

One reason I was kind of sweet on Josh Jones was because I thought he would be a big help to the run game ... I feel the same way about Wills.

The transition to pass protection on the left is an unknown - and even if he struggles more than many have suggested, I think he's going to be a beast in the run game and will be better than what we had in 2019 in pass protection. Not who I was expecting but I think it's very hard to fault this pick.

A bit like the Mayfield, Rosen, Lamar, Darnold draft .... it's going to be fascinating to see how and who develops over the next 3 years from Thomas, Wills, Wirfs, Becton, Austin, Jones ...
j/c...

I am 70-80% sure that on the big video review of the top 4 OT that was posted here - that Wills big initial kick step was discussed (as a negative) and there was a clip from the Senior bowl where he's shown and this first step had been addressed and coached to be a more controlled/balanced step. Also think it showed Wills on the left taking reps and looking exactly the same as he did on the right....
One thing that I think Jake mentioned, and I noticed as well - and you can see from his angle here, is that he tends to get wide with that kick and not deep. One some of the snaps in Jake's tweet, you can see where this leaves a HUGE hole inside, especially when he sets up wide. This is just like candy for a baby for quick DLine that want to twist.... so, hopefully this is something he can get cleaned up with his switch to the left.
One thing that I think Jake mentioned, and I noticed as well - and you can see from his angle here, is that he tends to get wide with that kick and not deep. One some of the snaps in Jake's tweet, you can see where this leaves a HUGE hole inside, especially when he sets up wide. This is just like candy for a baby for quick DLine that want to twist.... so, hopefully this is something he can get cleaned up with his switch to the left.

This to me sounds like a simple matter of learning angles... I hope Wills is good with trigonometry!
Ahhh SOHCAHTOA!
https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...impression=true

It was Josh Jones he was talking about being coached up at the Senior Bowl.

Will see how quickly they address and coach out that big kick step out of Wills - definitely you can see the vulnerability it produces. The good news is that on the left side he has Bitonio on his inside.

Really a great breakdown on technique.

Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

This to me sounds like a simple matter of learning angles... I hope Wills is good with trigonometry!

Yup. That and spatial awareness... that whole thing where you think your body is in one position/place only to find that your gauging of things was off. Like, he might *think* he's dropping back more than he is, or he might think he is setting up in closer than he is. And, who knows, if it is a visual perception thing, it might not even be an issue from the left side.

Taking reps will tell the tale.
In a weird way, also seeing how all of the tackle prospects had weaknesses in their game put my mind at ease. Even Thomas, considered the most ready NFL LT has things in his game he's gotta address sooner rather than later.

I understand the concern regarding the RT vs LT thing with Wills, but I think it's important to determine if he's an outlier to that argument or not. In my (very much uneducated) opinion, it appears he is.

That said, and as I've mentioned before, I wouldn't mind at all if we STILL brought in some sort of vet. It would be both as a safety net, and to provide a somewhat respectable level of competition to earning the position. As a general rule, I have a hard time just outright giving a starting spot to a draft pick.
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

That said, and as I've mentioned before, I wouldn't mind at all if we STILL brought in some sort of vet. It would be both as a safety net, and to provide a somewhat respectable level of competition to earning the position. As a general rule, I have a hard time just outright giving a starting spot to a draft pick.

I keep thinking about this, and I keep coming back to us waiting to see what we have. Then, there is the evaluation of will whomever we can sign be better than him and his learning curve? I think we might keep Peters on speed dial, but I wouldn't look for that call to be made until we're nearly to August and Training Camp. I think they'll take the summer and mini-camps to get a good look at him and see how he's doing. It'll be in shorts, but that'll be good enough to have an idea.
j/c

Maybe, in this particular case, moving from RT to LT is a boon. He has always played RT, so he has no bad habits to unlearn. He's learning LT already knowing good technique, being able to learn it right to start. He's under the tutelage of one of the best OL coaches in the business. And, for good measure, some guidance from Joe.
j/c

Here is a video I watched last night. The guy is sorta the Giant's version of our Jake Burns. This is his study of Jedrick from the Giant's perspective.

It is, but his arms are long enough, so he has a chance to engage about 3 feet out and he is a solid, technical blocker.

At 6'4", he reminds me of Ross Verba, but Wills is thicker and heavier.

I think the guy is a LT who played RT at Bama because they had a left handed QB. I don't think he is going to have much issue switching sides of the line.

At worst, if he doesn't pan at LT, he can roadgrade at RT. If not, he will be a very good guard.

We got a good player here.

LT is a fairly safe pick because if they can't really play the position you hoped for, you still have a quality Olineman.
Wills played right tackle because he played right tackle in high school.
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
j/c

Here is a video I watched last night. The guy is sorta the Giant's version of our Jake Burns. This is his study of Jedrick from the Giant's perspective.

Interesting ...

Much less evidence of the big initial kick on these cuts.
I’m seeing a lot of people saying he’s athletic enough to make the switch to LT (Plus Tua is left handed so he did protect his blinds side).

Had we drafted Wirfs there’d be the same concern I suppose
I can't resist but...the only thing im looking forward to is Case Keenham leading us to the playoffs after week 5.

He signed a 3 year 18 million dollar deal...thats a lot of money for a backup. Considering Stephanski was his QB coach in 2017 in Minn, I think its a clear message to Mayfield thats its put up or shutup time.

Berry and Stephanski didn't draft Mayfield, if he is crapping the bed this year like he was last year there are no more excuses, and we got someone behind him just waiting to play that has actually BEEN to the playoffs and LED a team to the playoffs.

My gut says Mayfield is a fraud, Here to toasting to me being wrong and Mayfiewld throwing 35+ TD this year!
I don't think that post should be in this particular thread.
Wills or Thomas were the best choices available in the top 10, IMO
I'm guessing you meant to post that here:

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/1742768/browns-sign-qb-case-keenum#Post1742768
Had we drafted Wirfs there’d be the same concern I suppose

For me the concern would be much greater. Most seemed to have him projected as a RT or G before the combine. Only the combine seemed to change a lot of their minds. With Wills most felt he would make the transition to LT before the combine.

I trust evaluations based on game film much more than the dog and pony show known as the combine.
Had we drafted Wirfs I would have been really concerned not because he isn't talented but because his talent seems to be more suited to Gaurd ...

Nuff said.

Nuff said.

Just drop the microphone and walk away!

Former Cleveland Brown Joe Thomas joined Beau Bishop and Nathan Zegura on Cleveland Browns Daily. Joe shares his excitement about the Browns selecting Jedrick Wills Jr. 10th overall in the 2020 NFL Draft and what made Wills his favorite offensive tackle in the draft.
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Former Cleveland Brown Joe Thomas joined Beau Bishop and Nathan Zegura on Cleveland Browns Daily. Joe shares his excitement about the Browns selecting Jedrick Wills Jr. 10th overall in the 2020 NFL Draft and what made Wills his favorite offensive tackle in the draft.
The more I hear Joe talk about LT, the more I see him as a kinda Zen Master of this very specialized craft.

Halfway through the clip - great stuff.
Thomas is awesome.

He and Zegura bothe talk Safety. Z mentioned Delpit.

They need to talk again now that we secured the PIT!!!
Watching this man run block is a true pleasure.

Joe Thomas played like a man operating like a brain surgeon, with every single moved planed a meticulous.

Jedrick Wills run blocks like a street fighter. He's out here throwing guys around, and his hands are incredibly heavy with so much power.

The Browns could run the ball 40 times a game behind Wills and Bitonio and probably get 200 yards easily. Nick Chubb might go for 2k.

Good call by coach...
Agreed. I'm sure they will let him have #73 later if he plays well.
I'm calling it: #71.
Nice call by coach with #73 ... Wills feels like a 72 to me

Can't; Joe is going to Canton in just a couple of years and then #73 is going to get retired. Wills just needs to write his own story with his own number smile
Exactly.
No Brown should ever wear #73 again.

Well he will get #74 whenever Hubbard is cut.

He’s not getting cut.

He’s not getting cut.

Is that what your chrystal ball said? ... or was it your crazy 8 ball?
I think it hinges on the fact that the Browns and Hubbard have already re-worked his contract. I can't see any reason why they would re-work a players contract they plan to cut. It was lowered to a manageable deal for a swing tackle, back up type contract. Still a little high but certainly doable.

Cleveland Browns, Chris Hubbard Restructure Contract, Providing Path For Him To Stay For 2020

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/cleve...o-stay-for-2020

That certainly doesn't mean his staying is set in stone but it would seem a logical conclusion we will be here for the 2020 season.
My crystal ball says Hubbard will be cut before Wills. I think Hubbard can push that date out a little bit by taking the starting RG spot... otherwise I see that date coming up pretty soon.
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I think it hinges on the fact that the Browns and Hubbard have already re-worked his contract. I can't see any reason why they would re-work a players contract they plan to cut. It was lowered to a manageable deal for a swing tackle, back up type contract. Still a little high but certainly doable.

Cleveland Browns, Chris Hubbard Restructure Contract, Providing Path For Him To Stay For 2020

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/cleve...o-stay-for-2020

That certainly doesn't mean his staying is set in stone but it would seem a logical conclusion we will be here for the 2020 season.

No, I disagree ... the logical conclusion would be to let it play out. A reworked contract isn't a guaranteed contract.

If we do keep him I hope it will be because he is a better fit for our new scheme.
Hubbard could well be gone by last cuts. In which case, Wills can take #74 before the season starts. Worst case, in 2021 it is all his.

It all depends on what we have as backup OT and whether Forbes or someone else steps up and takes RG.

No.....73 is Joe's number.

I don't think teams can retire numbers like the old days, but 73 is Joe, 32 is Jim, 76 is Lou, 44 is Leroy, 66 is Gene.

Some numbers you just don't allow out. As the coach,or GM, or Owner, you just pull some numbers out of the mix and tell the kid to pick another number..

You aren't wearing that one.

Good call by coach Stefanski. Tip of the hat from me.
Some draft picks have selected their numbers as of now.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/cleveland-browns-2020-nfl-draft-picks-announcing-jersey-numbers

Wills, 71
Delpit, 22
Phillips, 50
DPJ, 11
I like them ... 71 always reminds me of Rubin
After listening to J.Thomas talk technically about the position of LT and how Willis has the technical acumen for the position, how can you not like this pick!!

He’s not getting cut.

Is that what your chrystal ball said? ... or was it your crazy 8 ball?

...says Hubbard's cap-friendly restructured contract in 2020 and in 2021
Browns LT Jedrick Wills Jr. will wear No. 71: ‘Starting my own legacy’
Browns new left tackle Jedrick Wills will wear No. 71: 'Starting my own legacy.'
2h ago

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/04...own-legacy.html

Browns LT Jedrick Wills Jr. will wear No. 71: ‘Starting my own legacy’
Updated 7:28 PM; Today 7:24 PM
shares
By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

Jedrick Wills Jr.® ➕🌎☄️💕
✔
@JWills73
Starting my own Legacy🐶 #71 #DawgPound #GrizzlySZN https://twitter.com/jwills73/status/1254855668411973632

View image on Twitter
Jedrick Wills Jr.® ➕🌎☄️💕
✔
@JWills73
I’m announcing my new number at 6pm. What do you think I chose? #DawgPound

6:01 PM - Apr 27, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
622 people are talking about this
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns new left tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. broke with tradition and chose No. 71 as his new number on Monday.

"Starting my own legacy,'' he proclaimed on Twitter and Instagram.

Wills, who wore 74 at Alabama, struck out on his own with 71 despite his new mentor Joe Thomas wearing No. 73, and his friend and mentor Doug Dieken wearing No. 73.

The two ironmen set records during their many years in Cleveland, with Thomas (2007-2017) setting the NFL’s snap streak with 10,363, the most since the league began recording them in 1999, and Dieken (1971-84) holds the record for most consecutive games played with 203.

Wills, who’s already enthusiastically embraced Thomas’ offer to help, also contemplated 72, but opted for 71.

He’s already gotten the seal of approval from Thomas, the future Hall of Famer.

“There will not be any sleeping for me tonight because I’m so excited by this pick,” Thomas told the Cleveland Browns Radio Network after the pick. “When I watch him on film, there’s nothing he can’t do. All these other guys who were the top tackles had big question marks, in my opinion. This guy? No question marks. Browns home run.

"There’s nothing that when you watch him on tape makes you go, 'Well, I don't know. He's going to have to get better at this,'" Thomas said. "Does this man move like an All-Pro in the NFL? Will the footwork skills, technique, quickness, balance, change of direction and recovery skills that he possesses in his body be able to hold up to the Von Millers and JJ Watts?

“I went back, and there was only one guy that stood out. He just popped off your screen. The technique he was using. The dominance. The finish. The change in direction. The explosion that he had. The way he could bend his ankles, knees and hips and create force and power. When guys tried to bull rush him, he was firm and stout.

“There was only one guy that looked like that, and that was Jedrick Wills.”

And now, he plans to make his own mark in No. 71.

Well I will not date myself but I think of Walter Johnson when I see #71... But he Wills lives up to that and beyond, I will get over it!!
I watched zero tape on any prospects this year. After drafting Wills I thought I would watch some tape on him to form my own impression. I think he will be a road grader in the run game. Will have to see how he transitions to the left side for pass protection game but he damn sure seems to check all the boxes.
Pretty high praise there from Thomas to Wills. Let’s hope JT’s eye for LT talent holds true
Originally Posted By: DogNDC
Well I will not date myself but I think of Walter Johnson when I see #71... But he Wills lives up to that and beyond, I will get over it!!

He is the best to wear it that I remember.

Man, Walter and Jerry Sherk. Now that was a pair of DT's. Maybe not like Rosie Greir and Melin Olsen, but those cats could play.
I am concerned as well, but I was encouraged by a talking head commenting on our selection that he played RT for a lefty QB, in effect a mirror image backside. So I believe a transition may be difficult and take a little longer, but the brain is wired, at least in part, already. But just to be the run blocking load he will be puts some of my concerns to rest. Hopefully the nature of our game on offense will change somewhat from the game called and planned under FK and Huey.
Personally, I would be more concerned in Wirfs' ability to switch to the left than I would be with Wills.
Didn't Tommy Vardell wear 44 when he was with the Browns ?
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Didn't Tommy Vardell wear 44 when he was with the Browns ?
i think so
Ernest Byner wore 44 as well, at least in his 1st tour of duty in Cleveland.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: DogNDC

He is the best to wear it that I remember.

Man, Walter and Jerry Sherk. Now that was a pair of DT's. Maybe not like Rosie Greir and Melin Olsen, but those cats could play.

Walter Johnson never got enough credit for being the block-eater and run-stopper that allowed Jerry Sherk to freelance and create mayhem in oppo backfields.
Loved Walter Johnson and Jerry Sherk smile
IIRC he was also purported to be the strongest man in the nfl at the time
Originally Posted By: ThomasE
IIRC he was also purported to be the strongest man in the nfl at the time

I think I remember that. I also remember him dabbling at pro wrestling late in his career.
I don't care who all wore #44 it is Leroy Kelly's number, he is the one in the HOF ...
There is no other than Great if you are a real LT. You cannot be average at that position, if average then you are a guy that will get beat most of the time. Baseball yes, Football no you got to be Great, not perfect but GREAT! Wills will be great. And for the record I believe he took #72 even though he had the blessing from JOE and DIEKEN to wear #73.

The beauty of this is Wills and Joe Thomas can start working together or virtual together due to Corona crap. But there are no restrictions on when he can start with working out with Joe. Mind...well hopefully Wills did track and did Shot put cause JT established his first step and form from his Shot put days. This way there is no mental transition Right side to Left side. Its ok forget football, get into your track days mode, Good now set up for your shot put. Hopefully Wills is right handed and so he will naturally set up for that twitch quick step from the LT side without mentally having Football Mindset retarding his transition.

I hope you all don't think I'm crazy but what I'm trying to say is his mindset will be in Track shot put mode which sets him up perfectly under the Joe Thomas technique without a blocker in the subconscious mindset. Its ready to go.

jmho the kid will be "GREAT"
He picked #71.
Yeah well I was close... tongue

lol...man this getting old thing sucks - I cannot go on memory at all and old man lazy to check for sure...lol

You had a 50-50 shot. lol
I also remember a picture of him against the Bengals, going low and flipping a guy right over his back...never saw anything like it
p.s. I haven't been this stoked about a Draft pick since Joe Thomas.

I'm going to have to rein myself in to keep myself from putting Joe T-like expectations on Wills.

I agree. They are different type players.

Joe was what I call a technical blocker. He had the form and was able to get in the way of a rusher. He was a pure LT. He wouldn't have had nearly the career hd he played RT. That is, for a lack of better words, a more physical position. Joe wasn't known for his physical presence.

Jed is a physical player. More the road grader type who also has enough of the technical game we hope he can play LT.

No matter where he ends up playing, we have a blocker who can block in both phases.

Great pick.
I agree he was a great pick. I also agree he "can be a road grater type". But his skill set certainly shows he has a great technical side as well. I feel his agility and technique are being vastly underrated.
No disagreement here. I think he is going to be able to switch with minimal problems.

I just don't buy that because he blocked Tua's blindside it won't take effort. Then again, maybe that is why Bama put him there.

I am extremely happy with what we did in the draft. You are always going to wonder about a pick or two, but my feeling at this point is we put this one about 20 rows over the left center wall.
I think with Joe tutoring him, his technique will be on a whole other level by 2021 season.

Heck, it will probably be better than ever this season, but given a year of working at it and refining things and he should be something amazing.
I think with Joe tutoring him, his technique will be on a whole other level by 2021 season.

Heck, it will probably be better than ever this season, but given a year of working at it and refining things and he should be something amazing.
i agree. We have one of the best OL coaches and LT’s ever to play the game ... he’ll learn quite a bit
Wills is already a really good player. Even if he can't switch to the left side, we still have a really good player. Alabama has good coaching. Nick Saben isn't going to hire crappy Oline coaches. It's not like every good coach coaches in the NFL. If so, Saben would be in the NFL. Same for position coaches. College ball offers something the NFL doesn't. You don't have to put up with player crap, and you make about the same money, or good enough money.

That said, considering the resources we have to help the kid, he is going to end up a good LT. Maybe not Joe Thomas good, but Doug Dieken good.

My attitude is if you have a guy who can start for 15-20 teams in the league, you have few worries.

We might want the best player in the league, but you don't need the best player in the league. You just need solid to really solid. Wills will be that unless he gets lazy.

I think Joe the teacher gets overrated. I'm not sure the technique he used will work for Wills. I think he can be a resource on more general topics like attitude, preparation, film work, etc, but Joe's technique wasn't always the most traditional and worked more because he was a special player than due to textbook technique. I'm sure Joe T will have some tips and tricks, but I think the actual technique work should stick with Callahan. I think trying to imitate Joe has gotten some of our past prospects in trouble. Most players can't do it the way Joe did. I think Wills' game will be based more on power. They'll have to figure out what works best for him, not try to turn him into Joe.
As per Joe, Callahan and most OLine coaches will stick to teaching scheme and things as they relate to the scheme.

Joe's value isn't in his specific things, but his specific things as a generality along with all of the stuff you mentioned. Joe's approach to keeping notebooks every year for notes on things as he tries them out, etc... tips like hand placement (which in his own words, runs counter to what most OLine coaches will teach you), too. It's all about finding as many tiny little things that fit your body and then being consistent with them. One of Joe's greatest strengths was the fact that his flexibility allowed him to have the exact same set whether he was run or pass blocking. He never tipped our hand. The other guys might, but Joe didn't. Because of this, he also never showed where the play - or he - was going.

Joe has done the same work with Bitonio, Schwartz, and Mack. It's worked Ok for them.
continuing on this discussion. Im
Sure JT will start with the general goals. Speed in the pass pro quick step. Now work with him on certain musts such as knee bend. JT liked to utilize his shotput stance but this doesn't necessarily mean Wills has to use it. But a discussion will take place on what is best for Wills to be comfortable n achieve the goal. It goes without saying whatever is established the same e setup is used on run n pass alike.

But with Wills making the right foot to left foot switch I dont see why he wouldn't use the JT shotput stance, especially if Wills did track n shotput in HS???
I think Wirfs had the Track/Shotput and Wrestling background - not sure Wills did. Probably Basketball since both his parents had good basketball backgrounds.
Originally Posted By: Hammer
I think Wirfs had the Track/Shotput and Wrestling background - not sure Wills did. Probably Basketball since both his parents had good basketball backgrounds.

Wills played basketball. He quit because wasn’t big enough.
I think Joe's technique was perhaps as sound as any guy I have ever watched. David DeCastro, the RG for the Steelers, is another guy w/outstanding technique.
What Joe will be valuable for, is ability to help Wills in preparing for and studying his opponent. If he can show him the proper way to prepare, that could be a very valuable asset for Wills. This kid is very young, teaching him proper preparation now will benefit him bigtime down the road.
Perfect footwork, nimble athlete, knew exactly when and where to attack a defender with his hands, never held.

Joe Thomas was one of a kind. I'm not sure if Wills will ever be close to Joe as a technician, but Wills has that natural raw power and mean streak to be a good one.
They need to retire the #73 jersey.
I've mentioned it before, JT is like a Zen Master of LT. He understands it in the most minute details, and when he did it, it was an artform.
Originally Posted By: DaveyD

Agreed. Who could wear it better? What are the chances anyone gets to a decade plus ProBowls from their rookie year until retirement wearing that number? Hang it in the rafters and lock it off.
I agree w/you guys. I think they should retire Ozzie's number, as well. I thought I read that Higgins is going to wear it this year??? That would be a crime.
Originally Posted By: DaveyD

I'm betting they will right after he gets inducted into the Hall of Fame in two years.
I agree w/you guys. I think they should retire Ozzie's number, as well. I thought I read that Higgins is going to wear it this year??? That would be a crime.
Yeah, I think Higgins is switching to 82 IIRC

That was because #81 was given to Hooper, as Higs was technically off of the roster.

To tell you the truth I'm somewhat surprised that we haven't retired that number now that he has retired from the Ravens.

I just assumed (correctly) that they wouldn't as long as he was with Baltimore.
Teams are encouraged to retire numbers only sparingly nowadays. Teams now can have 55 players on the roster, as well as 14 on the practice squad. We currently have 5 retired numbers. That takes up most of the available 99 numbers.

This is why teams have a "Ring of Honor", or other ways of honoring their greatest players.
Yeah, I’m OK with numbers being discouraged from being worn, but not technically retired. Now for someone like Jim Brown? Yeah, retire it. But people like JT or Kosar or legends for our team: just discourage ppl from wearing it
FWIW: Bernie Kosar is not in Joe Thomas' class.

Kosar is a local great, but mediocre in a league-wide comparison.
Joe is an All-Time great at his position in a league-wide sense.

I would absolutely give strong consideration to retiring 73.
They already put '10,363' into the Ring of Honor; his name will follow soon.

I agree. Bernie might be a bit better than mediocre, but Joe is one of the 7-8 best to play his position.

I say 7-8 because there have been some really brilliant players before him, but he is just as good as any to play. Being tied for first is about as good as you can get in sports. I don't know that Joe was better than Jackie Slater or John Hannah, but then again, were they better than him?

I think they were all pretty friggen good.

I mean, who was better, Reggie White or Bob Lilly at DT? It gets to a point you can't answer that. They were clearly above the rest is all one needs to know.

Bernie may not be a first ballot HOFer but he did lead this franchise to the Playoffs in his first five NFL seasons, that is better than Mediocre superconfused
Yes, I was overly hyperbolic with the use of "mediocre". He was an above average QB, but not Hall of Fame worthy. Joe was on a completely different level.
Yes, I was overly hyperbolic with the use of "mediocre". He was an above average QB, but not Hall of Fame worthy. Joe was on a completely different level.

I understood and understand.

Joe is at the top of the chain with several other links. Bernie is on the chain, but not near the top, but even being on the chain is pretty darn good.

Bernie might be a Sonny Jergunson type. Go watch some Sonny vids. That guy had the nicest pass I have ever seem, and man, he could sling the ball. I mean fastballs. Sonny could chuck it.
What a great accomplishment ... he did little more than hand the ball off the 1st year and more than likely the 2nd year ...

Ever hear of Byner and Mack ... they had a little sumptin sumptin to do with those years as well as that D ...

LOVE BERNIE ... but saying he’s better than mediocre cause he “led” his team to the playoffs his first five years is a crock of crap ... thumbsup

By your logic Trent Dilfer was more than mediocre cause he won a SB ... and we all know thats not even close to true ... *L* ...
Why were Byner and Mack so good?

Ya think maybe because opposing teams respected Bernie's ability to pass? His ability to read a defense and change the call at the line to something that would work better than the original play call?

Bernie was awkward as all get out. His throwing motion is not something to ever be copied - but his ability to get to the line and read a D was excellent. Best ever? Not saying that at all.
Yes ... teams feared Bernie his rookie year ... *L* ...

And what an arm Bernie had .... one of the best deep balls ever ... no way they’d stack the box with Bernie’s ability to stretch a field ... rolleyes

I would actually be on board with calling him one of the most accurate passers and one of the smartest passers to ever play the game .... the only thing IMO that kept him from greatness is that arm strength ...

And arch ... i think he was slightly better than mediocre ... but saying he led the team to playoff berths hois first five years as even one of the reasons for that is a joke on a good day ...

Kinda like Brady’s first SB victory ... i think he led his team to 1 TD drive the entire playoffs ... that D won that SB ... Brady was little more than a spectator ...
What a great accomplishment ... he did little more than hand the ball off the 1st year and more than likely the 2nd year ...

Ever hear of Byner and Mack ... they had a little sumptin sumptin to do with those years as well as that D ...

LOVE BERNIE ... but saying he’s better than mediocre cause he “led” his team to the playoffs his first five years is a crock of crap ... thumbsup

By your logic Trent Dilfer was more than mediocre cause he won a SB ... and we all know thats not even close to true ... *L* ...

You got that right my friend thumbsup

Some of you younger fans might not appreciate those days, but our defenses where no joke...

Why isn’t #82 retired?
I agree w/your points and I will add that the Browns OL during those years was top shelf.

Why isn’t #82 retired?

This is going to be a really unpopular take.

I hope we don't retire Newsome's number. Ozzie is a Raven, not a Brown. He was a great player that had a great playing career with the Browns. But he spent more time with the Ravens, had more success with the Ravens, and that success often came at the expense of the Browns. He also won two Super Bowls with the Ravens.

Eh, Ozzie is a Raven.
Not so unpopular, but also not surprising.
I agree, Rish. He was a very good player, but he went to Baltimore with Art. Effem
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I agree, Rish. He was a very good player, but he went to Baltimore with Art. Effem

And he went to Canton Ohio as?
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

And he went to Canton Ohio as?

A traitor.
The Browns did not have a team at the time. Expecting a man to not accept employment from the organization that he was already working for is lunacy. Bernie went to Miami. You want to shun him, too? Paul Brown started a new team in another Ohio city. Guess he is another traitor.

Pick and choose at your own discretion. Pfftttt........
The Browns did not have a team at the time. Expecting a man to not accept employment from the organization that he was already working for is lunacy. Bernie went to Miami. You want to shun him, too? Paul Brown started a new team in another Ohio city. Guess he is another traitor.

Pick and choose at your own discretion. Pfftttt........

Thanks! I think you're starting to get it!
I don't blame Ozzie for taking the job with Baltimore. I don't blame Ozzie for staying with Baltimore. I don't begrudge Ozzie any of the success he had with Baltimore. By all accounts it was earned.

But while his career started with Cleveland, his career path has made him a Raven. I wouldn't be much in the mood to celebrate a guy who kicked the Browns buts and out-succeeeded the Browns for 20+ years after moving on from the franchise. The Browns are a bunch of losers and have been for a very long time. I can't think of anything more loserish than celebrating someone else's hero.

I would be opposed to retiring Newsome's number.
Okay, let's use your "logic" and apply it to Paul Brown. The dude started a new team in the very same state the Browns reside in. He used a similar color combination. He hired a coach who said something like: "You don't live in Cleveland..."

Maybe we should change our name from the "Browns" because this guy was such a "traitor" and call ourselves the Demonic Elves. Or maybe the "Losers?" How about the Cleveland Change? It fits given our history of firing everyone who comes here.

Absurd discussion.
I'm not asking you to agree with me. Just stating my opinion on the subject. Like I said, I knew it would be unpopular and that some wouldn't be able to handle it. You were one of the ones I thought of, and I was right.
I am not asking you to agree w/me either. Thanks for thinking of me as you made your first post, though. Glad that I live rent free in your head. brownie
I'm only deferring the rent until the coronavirus has passed.
LOL
Absurd discussion.

Yes, considering that it's in the Jedrick Wills draft thread. But then again, the 'virus' has left us with too much time on our hands...
All I know is we sucked for several years...more than several. And then Bernie came along as we were able to finagle the supplemental draft and get Bernie our Home Town boy to come to the Browns and he made no bones about wanting to be a Brown. Then his success came, he was one of the best QBs and if you did not see his games then all you got is STATS he didn't look like much great.

But he stuck in there and teams beat the crap out him physically. When teams still could do so.

I mentioned the MNF game vs the Dolphins where he broke his foot and still played. This took what little mobility he had out of the picture and he got hit often and hard.

It was mentioned he hurt the elbow badly and whatever arm strength he had was gone. I saw it as a methodical thing as not being in the Cleveland area I saw what I could on TV and in Satellite Bars. Every season he got less and less talented physically until he left the team. Still smart as a whip.

jmho

Looking at two clips from Wills 2019 season to display his ability to finish despite less than ideal situations and how his high-level awareness helps elevate his run blocking.

For more in-depth analysis on Wills follow this link:

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-b...
Great pick OL should be MUCH Better in 2020 ...
Whew. What would the Browns history be if they had never had Joe Thomas, on the team.

Whew! Where would that history be if Bernie were never on the team.

Draw your own conclusions,

I don't even call Joe Thomas my favorite Browns left tackle!(That I saw play) I like the dude who played with Bellichic in 94 ish, (James Jones?) and went to the Broncos, and neutralized that Reverend Defensive end, HOF dude,(Reggie White), in 1997, to help Terrelle Davis give that (bad name, Very Bad name.) Elway a SB win.
anyone doesn't like that? You root for who you want, I'll root for who I want!
I was wrong, it is Tony Jones I'm talking about, (memory), James Jones was on the defense iirc.

Flamethrower!
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Whew. What would the Browns history be if they had never had Joe Thomas, on the team.

I don't even call Joe Thomas my favorite Browns left tackle!(That I saw play) I like the dude who played with Bellichic in 94 ish, (James Jones?) and went to the Broncos, and neutralized that Reverend Defensive end, HOF dude,(Reggie White), in 1997, to help Terrelle Davis give that (bad name, Very Bad name.) Elway a SB win.

What are you talking about? crazy
Originally Posted By: eotab

What are you talking about? crazy

He’s a ‘linemen aren’t sexy or exciting and they don’t win games like receivers, running backs, and quarterbacks do. Therefore drafting them is stupid’ guy.
Hope this kid can make the move to the Left side.
J/C

Bill Callahan virtual press conference. You get a sense of his experience and his depth of football knowledge as he answers questions. He's very high on Wills. He expects him to play immediately. Seems like a guy who understands football and football players.

Let’s hope his expertise and evaluation is correct ... he certainly feels Wills has uncoachable traits
Jed was a great pick. I don't think he will have much problem going to the left side, but even if he does, we will still have a great player on the line.

We know he is a great RT and he looks like he could dominate as a guard. All's not lost if LT isn't his position, but as I said, I don't think it a big problem to make the switch. He is nimble enough that changing footwork shouldn't be a problem.
I agree ... I think it’s a safe bet that he’ll be a long-time contributor. Ideally as the LT ... but worst case scenario is he’ll be an above average RG/RT
He will be a great LT...no if ands or buts about it.

Has the explosion needed to get off the ball quick.
Has excellent feet and natural feel for the game with his hands.
Has the mindset for a nasty O Lineman and will be really great for our Run game as well as our passing game. Him and Bitonio will rule! I can't wait for them to get started playing together.

jmho
I think it's way to early to start talking about him moving to guard. I think, at worst, he could bump back to RT once we decide we don't want to pay Conklin anymore.

One encouraging thing I've heard in a couple breakdowns of Wills is that his development would be well-served with lots of run-blocking. It's an area he should be able to excel in right off the bat as a day1 starter as he works to catch up on his pass-block technique. A run-heavy offense, if unorthodox in terms of where the league is right now, would be a good thing at this point in time for a number of our young, core offensive guys.
He was drafted to play LT not OG not RT ... LT superconfused

Has the mindset for a nasty O Lineman and will be really great for our Run game as well as our passing game. Him and Bitonio will rule! I can't wait for them to get started playing together.

jmho

I actually completely agree.

All of the reasons you would typically say a RT can't switch to LT just don't apply to Wills. All of the reasons a LT would be successful switching to RT do apply... in that he has all the length and athleticism needed. Ad strength and power.

He literally just needs reps. That's it.

jmho

I actually completely agree.

All of the reasons you would typically say a RT can't switch to LT just don't apply to Wills. All of the reasons a LT would be successful switching to RT do apply... in that he has all the length and athleticism needed. Ad strength and power.

He literally just needs reps. That's it.

I agree with both of you.

I think his chances of busting out as a LT are pretty low, but if he does, we know we have a really solid RT.

We have a good player no matter where he finally settles.
I'm not making any predictions, but I will refer to the articles I posted earlier--and my own observations--and say that choosing an offensive lineman n in the draft is no longer the "safe" pick it once was. It's very similar to qbs. Both are asked to do different things than they were in college.
I certainly agree with you. At the same time, you must look for the athletic types who have the ability to do the things he will have to do in the NFL. That certainly creates a situation that finding a draft pick to transition to LT is very difficult.

From everything I've seen Wills does certainly possess the skills it will take to make that transition. Now that's certainly no guarantee by any stretch. But we both know that there's rarely anything such as a "sure thing" in the draft and certainly it is rare where a sure thing is still on the board at #10. At that juncture you simply have to play the odds and I think the odds are certainly in our favor.
I am not saying he was a bad pick and I am not making any predictions. I actually like the pick.

I was just responding to the sentiment that he was going to be great LT, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. He might be great. I just think it's too early to say that.
I actually understood your point and for the most part I thought I was agreeing with you.
Just clarifying. We're good.
I am not saying he was a bad pick and I am not making any predictions. I actually like the pick.

I was just responding to the sentiment that he was going to be great LT, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. He might be great. I just think it's too early to say that.

I never said that, and you quoted me. I said I am pretty sure he can, but we know he can be a pretty good RT, that we got a very good player no matter where he ends up.
I know you didn't say that. I'm sorry I brought it up.

All our draft choices are going to HOFers. That should work. I'm out.
I know you didn't say that. I'm sorry I brought it up.

All our draft choices are going to HOFers. That should work. I'm out.

I don't think that. Odds are none will.
I don’t know how he will transition to the NFL, but I do have to say one thing that was encouraging was watching him on Building the Browns. Callahan did a film study with him at the Combine and peppered him with questions. At one point, Callahan purposefully contradicted something that Wills did on a certain play and said “I thought you were supposed to do it this way” to try and see what scheme explanation Wills would respond with. He apparently left that conversation being very impressed. Hope it works out.
I certainly agree with you.

Now there's a surprise.... rofl
He was talking to me Vers as I said no Ifs Ands or Buts - of course he's got no balls to post to me directly and as usual cause you didn't bow to him - he took his ball and went home.

Note I never guaranteed him to be an HOFer - doesn't mean he won't we can only hope so. But I think he is not a kid who can take on that position in a servicing contribution but be one of the better ones in the NFL. But to again make his opinion look more accurate it helps if he accuses me of guaranteeing he's going to be a HOFer. Now Pit come on this thread and lick his boots some more....lol laugh
Well when people aren't on the big rock candy mountain when they post it's much easier to agree. Objectivity is a good thing.
Otay!
Otay!

Hey, hey....Butweek was one of my favorite Rascals. Show some respect. He is the only one to make SNL. LOL

I know, it was a pretty racist bit, but then again, Spanky and his Gang included the black kids from down the street. Those were filmed in the 30's? Pretty liberal if you ask me.

I never thought much about it in the 50's when I watched The Little Rascals. Buckwheat and Stymie were just two of the kids in the gang.

Spankey, Alfalfa, Butch the bully kid, Froggy, Wheezer….they all had goofy names, well, except Darla. I loved Darla, just like Alfalfa.

I could sing better than Alfalfa, and didn't have that goofy cowlick. Darla would have been my girl!
Butweek! rofl
If that's anything like Shark Week - I'm in!

Nathan Zegura and the Athletic's Dane Brugler break down college film of Browns first round pick Jedrick Wills Jr.
I agree ... I think it’s a safe bet that he’ll be a long-time contributor. Ideally as the LT ... but worst case scenario is he’ll be an above average RG/RT

He'll be playing in the best league against the best DEs and DT's in the world, with coaches helping them, all designed to make his game look BAD; if he looks bad, will the team give up on him and we can see his career blossom in another teams Jersey. thumbsdown

It's happened before.

He'll be playing in the best league against the best DEs and DT's in the world, with coaches helping them, all designed to make his game look BAD; if he looks bad, will the team give up on him and we can see his career blossom in another teams Jersey. thumbsdown

It's happened before.

I doubt we give up on him anytime soon. He will be locked at LT for at least 2 seasons, and as has been stated, we know he can play RT and could be a monster guard.

He is one of the best run blockers to hit the league in a few years. The only real question with the kid is if he can switch to the left side. Everything is more or less backwards from what he has been doing. Our scouts and coaches seem to think he won't have any real problems doing so.

I am sure they worked him out of a LT stance to see if it flowed well. I think Jed is going to be good as a LT. He has what it takes.
I like how many things that he can do well.

Didn't seem too difficult to be a giant upgrade. I feel fortunate.
There's nearly zero chance of that happening.
Even if he looks bad, he'd have to look bad at LT, RT, and OG in order for us to cut him loose, and that's just not going to happen.

And, coming from a big school, he's played against all of the top tier talent before, because that's where the top tier talent comes from - of which, he is among them.... it's nothing new to him.
He will be a good LT period... got the feet got the attitude, kid is a beast.
© DawgTalkers.net