Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

Bill Callahan virtual press conference. You get a sense of his experience and his depth of football knowledge as he answers questions. He's very high on Wills. He expects him to play immediately. Seems like a guy who understands football and football players.

Legend
Legend
Let’s hope his expertise and evaluation is correct ... he certainly feels Wills has uncoachable traits

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

B
Legend
Legend
B
Jed was a great pick. I don't think he will have much problem going to the left side, but even if he does, we will still have a great player on the line.

We know he is a great RT and he looks like he could dominate as a guard. All's not lost if LT isn't his position, but as I said, I don't think it a big problem to make the switch. He is nimble enough that changing footwork shouldn't be a problem.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I agree ... I think it’s a safe bet that he’ll be a long-time contributor. Ideally as the LT ... but worst case scenario is he’ll be an above average RG/RT

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
He will be a great LT...no if ands or buts about it.

Has the explosion needed to get off the ball quick.
Has excellent feet and natural feel for the game with his hands.
Has the mindset for a nasty O Lineman and will be really great for our Run game as well as our passing game. Him and Bitonio will rule! I can't wait for them to get started playing together.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think it's way to early to start talking about him moving to guard. I think, at worst, he could bump back to RT once we decide we don't want to pay Conklin anymore.

One encouraging thing I've heard in a couple breakdowns of Wills is that his development would be well-served with lots of run-blocking. It's an area he should be able to excel in right off the bat as a day1 starter as he works to catch up on his pass-block technique. A run-heavy offense, if unorthodox in terms of where the league is right now, would be a good thing at this point in time for a number of our young, core offensive guys.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
He was drafted to play LT not OG not RT ... LT superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab

Has the mindset for a nasty O Lineman and will be really great for our Run game as well as our passing game. Him and Bitonio will rule! I can't wait for them to get started playing together.

jmho

I actually completely agree.

All of the reasons you would typically say a RT can't switch to LT just don't apply to Wills. All of the reasons a LT would be successful switching to RT do apply... in that he has all the length and athleticism needed. Ad strength and power.

He literally just needs reps. That's it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

jmho

I actually completely agree.

All of the reasons you would typically say a RT can't switch to LT just don't apply to Wills. All of the reasons a LT would be successful switching to RT do apply... in that he has all the length and athleticism needed. Ad strength and power.

He literally just needs reps. That's it.

I agree with both of you.

I think his chances of busting out as a LT are pretty low, but if he does, we know we have a really solid RT.

We have a good player no matter where he finally settles.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm not making any predictions, but I will refer to the articles I posted earlier--and my own observations--and say that choosing an offensive lineman n in the draft is no longer the "safe" pick it once was. It's very similar to qbs. Both are asked to do different things than they were in college.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly agree with you. At the same time, you must look for the athletic types who have the ability to do the things he will have to do in the NFL. That certainly creates a situation that finding a draft pick to transition to LT is very difficult.

From everything I've seen Wills does certainly possess the skills it will take to make that transition. Now that's certainly no guarantee by any stretch. But we both know that there's rarely anything such as a "sure thing" in the draft and certainly it is rare where a sure thing is still on the board at #10. At that juncture you simply have to play the odds and I think the odds are certainly in our favor.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not saying he was a bad pick and I am not making any predictions. I actually like the pick.

I was just responding to the sentiment that he was going to be great LT, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. He might be great. I just think it's too early to say that.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I actually understood your point and for the most part I thought I was agreeing with you.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Just clarifying. We're good.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am not saying he was a bad pick and I am not making any predictions. I actually like the pick.

I was just responding to the sentiment that he was going to be great LT, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. He might be great. I just think it's too early to say that.

I never said that, and you quoted me. I said I am pretty sure he can, but we know he can be a pretty good RT, that we got a very good player no matter where he ends up.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I know you didn't say that. I'm sorry I brought it up.

All our draft choices are going to HOFers. That should work. I'm out.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I know you didn't say that. I'm sorry I brought it up.

All our draft choices are going to HOFers. That should work. I'm out.

I don't think that. Odds are none will.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don’t know how he will transition to the NFL, but I do have to say one thing that was encouraging was watching him on Building the Browns. Callahan did a film study with him at the Combine and peppered him with questions. At one point, Callahan purposefully contradicted something that Wills did on a certain play and said “I thought you were supposed to do it this way” to try and see what scheme explanation Wills would respond with. He apparently left that conversation being very impressed. Hope it works out.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I certainly agree with you.

Now there's a surprise.... rofl

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
Legend
Legend
E
He was talking to me Vers as I said no Ifs Ands or Buts - of course he's got no balls to post to me directly and as usual cause you didn't bow to him - he took his ball and went home.

Note I never guaranteed him to be an HOFer - doesn't mean he won't we can only hope so. But I think he is not a kid who can take on that position in a servicing contribution but be one of the better ones in the NFL. But to again make his opinion look more accurate it helps if he accuses me of guaranteeing he's going to be a HOFer. Now Pit come on this thread and lick his boots some more....lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well when people aren't on the big rock candy mountain when they post it's much easier to agree. Objectivity is a good thing.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Otay!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Otay!

Hey, hey....Butweek was one of my favorite Rascals. Show some respect. He is the only one to make SNL. LOL

I know, it was a pretty racist bit, but then again, Spanky and his Gang included the black kids from down the street. Those were filmed in the 30's? Pretty liberal if you ask me.

I never thought much about it in the 50's when I watched The Little Rascals. Buckwheat and Stymie were just two of the kids in the gang.

Spankey, Alfalfa, Butch the bully kid, Froggy, Wheezer….they all had goofy names, well, except Darla. I loved Darla, just like Alfalfa.

I could sing better than Alfalfa, and didn't have that goofy cowlick. Darla would have been my girl!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Butweek! rofl

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If that's anything like Shark Week - I'm in!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

Nathan Zegura and the Athletic's Dane Brugler break down college film of Browns first round pick Jedrick Wills Jr.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I agree ... I think it’s a safe bet that he’ll be a long-time contributor. Ideally as the LT ... but worst case scenario is he’ll be an above average RG/RT

He'll be playing in the best league against the best DEs and DT's in the world, with coaches helping them, all designed to make his game look BAD; if he looks bad, will the team give up on him and we can see his career blossom in another teams Jersey. thumbsdown

It's happened before.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

He'll be playing in the best league against the best DEs and DT's in the world, with coaches helping them, all designed to make his game look BAD; if he looks bad, will the team give up on him and we can see his career blossom in another teams Jersey. thumbsdown

It's happened before.

I doubt we give up on him anytime soon. He will be locked at LT for at least 2 seasons, and as has been stated, we know he can play RT and could be a monster guard.

He is one of the best run blockers to hit the league in a few years. The only real question with the kid is if he can switch to the left side. Everything is more or less backwards from what he has been doing. Our scouts and coaches seem to think he won't have any real problems doing so.

I am sure they worked him out of a LT stance to see if it flowed well. I think Jed is going to be good as a LT. He has what it takes.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I like how many things that he can do well.

Didn't seem too difficult to be a giant upgrade. I feel fortunate.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
There's nearly zero chance of that happening.
Even if he looks bad, he'd have to look bad at LT, RT, and OG in order for us to cut him loose, and that's just not going to happen.

And, coming from a big school, he's played against all of the top tier talent before, because that's where the top tier talent comes from - of which, he is among them.... it's nothing new to him.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
He will be a good LT period... got the feet got the attitude, kid is a beast.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Browns select Jedrick Wills with the 10th overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard