Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
8 of those came in 2016, 2017 under one regime.

What was our record during those two years? Those aren't the 1 and 31 years, are they?

Yes, it was, but record has no meaning in that.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Quote:
8 of those came in 2016, 2017 under one regime.

What was our record during those two years? Those aren't the 1 and 31 years, are they?

Yes, it was, but record has no meaning in that.

Of course it doesn't. Most know that.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
j/c:

I'm not being sarcastic or snarky, but do we even know if Callahan is going to be part of the decision-making draft team?

I don't think we *know*, but neither Berry nor Stefanski strike me as the type to not seek input. Everything about them is about getting information and points of view to make decisions as opposed to the typical NFL mindset of "I know better than you" egoism.

I think Stefanski (and Berry) view and value Callahan as a resource. Here's Stef's quote from when Callahan was hired:

"I can't do this thing alone," Stefanski said. "I know that, so I need really good people around me. To have somebody in the office next to me who's been a head coach in college, a head coach in the pros, has seen a lot of the obstacles that come up in the course of a day for a head coach is huge. I can pop in next door and ask him his opinion on a bunch of things and that can inform my decisions moving forward on things big and small."

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/bill-callahan-named-browns-offensive-line-coach

V
Legend
Legend
V
I disagree that there is no correlation between how a team acquires compensatory picks and how it could affect their record.

I'll leave it at that.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Dave, I think that the main decision makers value their coaches input, but I kinda doubt that they help pull the trigger on a pick. I say that because it would behoove each position coach to pimp a player who would play on their unit. One would think that the LBer coach would have a different favorite player than the OL coach. The WR coach would have another. The DL coach another. Etc.

I think their opinions on particular draft eligible players are considered, but I don't think they would actually be part of pulling the trigger on a particular draft slot.

Of course, that is just my opinion and I don't know for sure.

Legend
Legend
It doesn't matter if you disagree, those thoughts are not germane. The fact is that the goal of those years was the driving factor and nothing else, and the goal was a teardown and acquiring assets. The record was nothing more than incidental.

That's all there is.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Losing guys like Mack, Schwartz, Gipson, etc did not have anything to do w/the record of the next two years? Come on.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Dave, I think that the main decision makers value their coaches input, but I kinda doubt that they help pull the trigger on a pick. I say that because it would behoove each position coach to pimp a player who would play on their unit. One would think that the LBer coach would have a different favorite player than the OL coach. The WR coach would have another. The DL coach another. Etc.

I think their opinions on particular draft eligible players are considered, but I don't think they would actually be part of pulling the trigger on a particular draft slot.

Of course, that is just my opinion and I don't know for sure.

All I was trying to say about Callahan was that if there's a decision by the Browns to go OT at #10 (ie, Simmons & Brown are gone), and there are 2 or 3 of the top 4 OTs still available, then Callahan's input would be valuable in making the right choice. If he thinks a college RT (Wills, Wirf) could succeed in the NFL at LT, then I'll feel a lot better about it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't trying to belittle your point, Dave. I promise.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

I'd like to see the Browns name plastered all over the comp picks list like it seems I see every year for teams who are perennially better than us. JMO

Agree.

Since 1995, the Browns are 31st in compensatory picks with 12.....8 of those came in 2016, 2017 under one regime. The other 4 came in 2012.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-pick-history/

The team with the most is the Ravens with 53.

It's a sound strategy. Probably one of the reasons we haven't released Vernon at this point. The other is we need to get someone to replace him.

Clowney is a possibility. I have also read we could be a suitor for Yannick Naga...whatever, the Jags DE. I think he is really good, but it would probably cost us a high pick or two. The Jags have franchised him and the player and agent want to be traded.

I am pretty good with the brains we have at the top. I am sure they have discussed all the future contracts and how we can maneuver to get them signed. I don't think we will get stuck in check-mate anytime soon.

Yannick would be a great add.

Just a question. If we keep Vernon, then let him sign elsewhere next off season. Is his comp pick based on what we were paying him or what his new team pays him? He's not going to get $18 mil a year with the next club.

My point is I might keep him over Clowney if the $18 is the figure. If not, I sign Clowney.

If we can sign Yannick, I cut Vernon before the ink is dry on Yannicks contract.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Consult the homeless guy maybe? Still a bizarre story. Nobody accuse you of worshipping analytics either.

Seriously, listen to anybody that can help. But we need some wins this year. Significant wins. fingerscrossed

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
I never thought you were. Just trying to be clear, because I felt like Pit was - IMO - minimizing Callahan's input with his "How has that worked out for us since '99?" post in regards to assistant coaches being assets in talent eval. I'm not here looking for arguments or conflict. Just bored [bleep]less and a bit depressed due to current events ... no worries.

D
Legend
Legend
D
did your hero get a pick for Schwartz? ... naughtydevil

Hue know that ... rofl ... that was funny ... thumbsup

D
Legend
Legend
D
IF Callaghan has zero input with our OL picks Andy and Kev can tear there Ivy League diplomas Up or use them for toilet paper ... that’d be plain flat out STUPID!!!

V
Legend
Legend
V
I hear you. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't coming across as insulting your opinion. Hang in there, Dave.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
IF Callaghan has zero input with our OL picks Andy and Kev can tear there Ivy League diplomas Up or use them for toilet paper ... that’d be plain flat out STUPID!!!

I think I am a good writer, but somehow, my messages get misconstrued.

I didn't mean to imply that Callahan wouldn't have any input. Hell, I thought I even said that they probably consulted him on the OL guys. I think I mentioned the LBer and DL coaches being consulted. I think I even put "etc."

I was talking about pulling the trigger on draft day. I would get opinions from all my position coaches, but I sure as hell would not have them sitting in on making the final decisions.

I wonder if that is clear?

Let me try this..........Say Simmons is on the board at 10 and let's pretend that Callahan has Andrew Thomas as his top-rated LT and he is also on the board. Would you allow either of positional coaches to be part of which guy to pick? Or, would you have already considered their advice and made your own Big Board and draft your highest rated player?

D
Legend
Legend
D
In your scenario ... the positional coaches shouldn’t be involved in that decision cause you have your big board and go with that ...

Its hard to communicate on here ... i took u literally ...

Ranking the LT’s and the rest of the OLman I want Callahan all over that big board .... just like every other position coach ... Bill gets added weight to what he says cause of his experience and rep ...

Then when u move to the teams big board .... they may not even find out what it is .. *L* ..

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

I think I am a good writer, but somehow, my messages get misconstrued.

I didn't mean to imply that Callahan wouldn't have any input. Hell, I thought I even said that they probably consulted him on the OL guys. I think I mentioned the LBer and DL coaches being consulted. I think I even put "etc."

I was talking about pulling the trigger on draft day. I would get opinions from all my position coaches, but I sure as hell would not have them sitting in on making the final decisions.

I wonder if that is clear?

Let me try this..........Say Simmons is on the board at 10 and let's pretend that Callahan has Andrew Thomas as his top-rated LT and he is also on the board. Would you allow either of positional coaches to be part of which guy to pick? Or, would you have already considered their advice and made your own Big Board and draft your highest rated player?

Yeah, I seriously doubt that they'd be pulling the trigger. I mean, I guess if you have a situation where you have 2 players of the same position ranked pretty closely, the tie would go to the position coach, but even then I'd imagine that decision is made prior to Draft Day.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency - Cont’d

Link Copied to Clipboard