Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1005884 09/26/15 10:54 AM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
We've all seen that McCown just isn't very bright when it comes to risk assessment. We've seen him in 4 games as a brown and just about each one of them multiple times he takes a risk with his body. He has kind of a "hold my beer and watch this" mentality. Oakland has some guys that can put a thumping on him if he's not smart. So does he last the game?

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I'd say he won't make halftime. He seems VERY reckless compared to when I've seen him before ... almost like he's out to prove something ... or maybe he just doesn't give a crap anymore

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Because it's early in the season, I'm hoping that his recklessness is just a fluke- and that he'll settle down.

I don't recall hearing about risky behavior as one of his regular traits before this year. You might be right about him trying to prove something, but I hope not. The only thing he needs to prove is that he can manage the game plan and play within his assigned role.

Oh yeah... sliding at the end of runs. He needs to prove he can do that, too.

superconfused

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I'd say he won't make halftime. He seems VERY reckless compared to when I've seen him before ... almost like he's out to prove something ... or maybe he just doesn't give a crap anymore

I think he knows he's coming to the end of his career and wants to make a statement that he's really playin' hard, goin' sick dog.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I didn't watch the preseason, so I guess he's done this before?

I was surprised people were mad at him trying to leap into the endzone. He made a gutsy play and got conked on the head for it. I imagine if he hadn't fumbled we wouldn't have been so upset with him. I like his effort and intensity honestly.

In general I like the gutsy players. Sacrifice your body for a TD if you have to McCown, we have Manziel waiting if we need him to step in. Get wins.

Legend
Legend
Yeah in the preseason McCown was playing like he didn't have a brain against TB ... I realize it was a redemption game for him, but he wasn't sliding and was taking unnecessary hits.

I chalked it up to him just wanting to get the best of his old team ... and then he did the same against the Jets. I'm not knocking his effort, I'm just saying he won't last if he continues to do it.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
He'll make it the whole game.

Legend
Legend
I take it as he really, really wants to win.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I take it as he really, really wants to win.

Our coach says that McCown gives us the best chance to win. McCown is always trying to injure himself.

Schism in the locker room?!?!?

Legend
Legend
LOL he is not trying to injure himself. Who do you think he is Kelly Holcomb poke naughtydevil

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
LOL he is not trying to injure himself. Who do you think he is Kelly Holcomb poke naughtydevil

So he's just dumb?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Game 10

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I think he just wants to be a winner for once, something he has trouble with. And if he gets injured again - in his mind, me thinks - then he's going out playing harder than ever... kamikaze football, giving it his all.'Victory or death,' in a manner of speaking.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
He'll play the whole game and we get to see if learned anything while in TB last year. My hope is that the first drive we witnessed is the real McCown and not that bone head dive into the endzone.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
McCown will play the entire game unless he gets hurt. I can see the staff making a change depending on what the record is at the half way point. Johnny must be evaluated IF the playoffs are merely a dream.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. I think there will be plenty of time for Johnny to play this year either because of injury or we are out of the playoff race.

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
No I wasn't talking about getting yanked for sucking, just a durability question given his history as a brown thus far

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I think if you want an true answer to the thread question, maybe you can ask Josh's wife!!

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
He has kind of a "hold my beer and watch this" mentality.

LOL. I love this line.

I am going to try to use this as much as possible.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
He has kind of a "hold my beer and watch this" mentality.

LOL. I love this line.

I am going to try to use this as much as possible.

lol it reminds me of an uncle of mine ... I'm sure many know his type

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
/general reply:

Its silly to criticize McCown for playing each play as if its his last. We need more players that takes that attitude not less. Do u really want more business decisions being made on the football field?

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
/general reply:

Its silly to criticize McCown for playing each play as if its his last. We need more players that takes that attitude not less. Do u really want more business decisions being made on the football field?

Yup. This is the attitude I want from players. Win the game at any cost without cheating.

You're gonna have to deal with your QB getting hammered sometimes, but the reward is often a victory and the unmeasurable effect that level of effort has on his teammates.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
/general reply:

Yup. This is the attitude I want from players. Win the game at any cost without cheating.

You're gonna have to deal with your QB getting hammered sometimes, but the reward is often a victory and the unmeasurable effect that level of effort has on his teammates.

C
Legend
Legend
C
/general reply:

At any other position, yes.

W
2nd String
2nd String
W
I agree that he Just wants to win, and Yes, he will make the whole game. jmho Go Brownies!!!

Who Let Da Dawgs Out? Woof, Woof, Woof!!!!!
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
2 quarters...double down baby

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
V
Legend
Legend
V
rofl

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN
I think if you want an true answer to the thread question, maybe you can ask Josh's wife!!

She would probably prefer Johnny as well

V
Legend
Legend
V
Oh... Wow! rolleyesdevil

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Because it's early in the season, I'm hoping that his recklessness is just a fluke- and that he'll settle down.

I don't recall hearing about risky behavior as one of his regular traits before this year. You might be right about him trying to prove something, but I hope not. The only thing he needs to prove is that he can manage the game plan and play within his assigned role.

Oh yeah... sliding at the end of runs. He needs to prove he can do that, too.

superconfused

Over the course of McCown's career he has been a turnover machine.

What you see is what you get I pointed out repeatedly he fumbles as much as he throws ints, it is who he is so to speak.

In this case what you see is what you get. He can play but he doesn't protect the ball. Coaches have been trying for years to get this part of his game under control with zero success.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
All Pro
All Pro
We need more players that takes that attitude not less. Do u really want more business decisions being made on the football field?

What is this jibber jabber? Josh's effort is making the rest of us look bad. It's the way of the world, no matter the profession; you are paid for getting off your couch for a few hours. We should seek inspiration from the example of guys like Dwayne Bowe, "listen fellas that 9 million was Ray n Jimmy's way of saying thanks for showin' up. If y'all think I'ma extend my arms in the middle of the field and expose my body to injury, we goin' to have to discuss further remuneration."

---------------------------------------------------------

#gmstrong

We are not called on to be successful. We are called on to be faithful.
Legend
Legend
/general reply:

AMEN I wish every Brown played that hard. I want every player to play balls to the wall on every play, not play like a sissy.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I respect what you guys are saying and it sounds tough, but I think a qb needs to be smarter.

It wasn't just that one play. Earlier in the drive, Josh took a big shot on the sidelines. In preseason, he took several more big shots. I even saw Pet pointing at his head, as in---be smart.

You really don't want your qb taking big shots just to prove he is tough. Not only can you get knocked out of the game, which puts your team in a very difficult position, but you can also be dinged up just enough to decrease your abilities to make decisions and/or execute plays.

Legend
Legend
Game Seven.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Oh he made some stupid plays in pre-season. You don't take a huge hit just to keep the clock running in a pre season game. But diving at the goal line in a regular season game. Oh hell yes I want that 100 percent of the time, I don't ever want to see our QB sliding down at the 2 to avoid a hit when he had a good chance to score.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
/general reply:

Check this out. McCown has already said he knows this is Manziel's team going forward. He's said he will mentor him or anyone else with pleasure.

To my recollection, McCown has never been this reckless and he's doing it virtually every time he leaves the pocket now.

I don't think he's intentionally trying to get sidelined for Manziel's sake, but I really do think he's giving everything he's got knowing he'll get sidelined and turn the team over to JFF.

Kinda crazy, but I really think that's on McCown's mind. You just don't play QB so recklessly in this league.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I say until he gives the staff a reason otherwise, he's the starter. Until he starts missing open WRs, taking consistent sacks, throwing INTs and so forth, I don't think this staff is willing or wanting to pull him.

Let's be real, Josh put together a solid, high number play very nice drive up until the fumble in the endzone against possibly the best defense the league has now in the Jets. He's looked decent to even good in preseason.

Josh can only hang himself IMO.

E
Legend
Legend
E
smh.... saywhat

Don't usually grade threads but this has to be an F sorry guys picking a players demise or injury is not well classy. Free country and board...so expressing my opinion tongue

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I wonder how many posters would call Tom Brady, or Bill Belicheck stupid and reckless

http://nesn.com/2014/12/bill-belichick-o...b-wants-to-win/

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
With some of the big hits he has taken thus far, it could be sooner than later. I just hope he tries to avoid them a little better than he has so far. I agree with GM, though. I liked the play, the guts and the toughness he showed, I just didn't like the end result of the play...

#gmstrong.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Oakland 27 How long does McCown last

Link Copied to Clipboard