Next Thread
Print Thread
#1009326 10/01/15 01:04 PM
ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
On Offense.

We need to get the running game going. I honestly believe it's more execution than talent that our problem is.

San Diegos defense isn't great, but it isn't terrible, but that should allow us enough wiggle room to get something going.

Continue hitting Hartline and Barnidge over the middle, and testing them deep with Benjamin and Gabriel.. If they beat their man, you have to connect.

On Defense.

San Diego has two solid RBs in Gordon and Woodhead, whom they use like to also use in the passing game.

Containing the edge is going to be big, as their RBs have solid speed.

Phillip Rivers is really good. He doesn't hold the ball too long, and has rekindled his connection with Keenan Allen. Hopefully Haden gets his stuff together as Allen is the kind of WR he struggles with..

I would not blitz that much off the snap, as Rivers will destroy you if it doesn't get there.. I would show blitz, and drop 7-8 guys in coverage, and if you can keep the ball in Rivers hand, THEN you send the blitz when the holes open up..

Run the ball. Test them deep. Contain the edge. Cover the short pass.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
Get in the fetal position and hope that they don't hit us the face.

Legend
Legend
Mix pass and run to move the chains.

Play with heart.

Limit the stupid mistakes.

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
Offense

Gotta get Josh into a rhythm and immediately. We cannot have another performance by him where he misses out on four touchdown chances.

Run the ball, not sure we can.

Yes, Gary and Brian! Get them involved.

Protect the rock.

Defense:

Stop the run, not sure we can.

Eliminate the intermediate passing game, so our corners aren't getting burned up and our rush (If any) has a chance to hit home.

Big chunk plays, whether it's passes or runs, gotta suffocate them...

Find some freaking pass rush. Seems like since the Jets game, the second half of the Titan game and the Oakland game - we've given the qbs all they could ask for and let them get mega comfortable.

More zone defense as opposed to man press which we cannot execute very well right now.

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Fire the coach.
Fire the GM.
Fire the QBs.
Fire the D Line
Fire the Secondary
Bet the owner to sell.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

at least we'll avoid penalties

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Cleveland Steamer
Fire the coach.
Fire the GM.
Fire the QBs.
Fire the D Line
Fire the Secondary
Bet the owner to sell.

Mhmmm, I'm smelling superbowl here rofl

Legend
Legend
Quick kick on third down (leaving the field anyway) to minimize the self-inflicted damage and penalties we seem to be unable to avoid.

Pray. Hope that we get over the cute idea that we have to trick them to succeed. Smash football, Send enough pressure. Tackling works. Challenge them offensively, especially vertically. Run some packages without our failure "fullback innate only" that hit faster.

Just win baby.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Hope that we get over the cute idea that we have to trick them to succeed.

OMG, if ever there is a sign that you're admitting the other team is better than you, this is it. I want a team that can just line up and beat the other team. No tricks, no tomfoolery. Just football.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I like trickeration and tomfoolery.. but it only works if other stuff is working, which is the irony of it.

If you can't run the ball up the middle against their base defense, then faking it is NOT going to cause their edge players to collapse to the middle, it's NOT going to cause their LBers to come rushing up, it's NOT going to cause their safety to pause... faking only works, if what you are faking actually had a chance to work.

yebat' Putin
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Cleveland Browns' Paul Kruger adjusts to new role and fewer pass-rush opportunities

BEREA, Ohio – Outside linebacker Paul Kruger made significant changes to his marital status and job description in recent months.

Only one of them is affecting his pass-rush numbers.

Coaches asked Kruger, who led the Browns with 11 sacks a season ago, to become more involved in pass coverage this season. The numbers bear it out. The newlywed dropped into coverage 65 times last year, according to the analytics website ProFootballFocus.com. Through three games this season, the total already is 32.

Is it the best use of the edge rusher's abilities? The coaching staff believes so.

Kruger heads into Sunday's game against the Chargers with a half-sack and a team-leading six quarterback hurries.

Coach Mike Pettine said the veteran has "yet to find his groove rushing the passer." Kruger agrees with his coach to a point.

"A little bit, yeah," he said. "It is kind of a split between finding a groove and the number of opportunities have been a little low. I am really hoping to pick it up this week and have a better personal game plan for that and have some more success in that way."

The Chargers present an inviting opportunity. Quarterback Philip Rivers has been sacked 10 times – the fourth most in the NFL – and the Chargers might be without three starting offensive linemen due to injury.

The Browns need a more consistent showing after barely touching Derek Carr in a 27-20 setback to the Raiders. The club registered no sacks in losses to the Jets and Raiders and a whopping seven in the win over the Titans.

Both Carr and Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick have quick releases and afforded the Browns few opportunities to pressure them. There's also another factor to consider: Why pass when you can run? The Browns rank last in rush defense (158.3 yards per game) and only the Dolphins and Buccaneers have faced more running plays.

Kruger understands the importance of Sunday's game to a maligned defense, which has struggled against the run and the pass.

"The (defensive) line as a front seven we want to play better," Kruger said. "This is a good opportunity for us to go out and show something.

"There is a lot of pressure on (the defense) and we embrace that. We want to thrive in those situations when it's on our shoulders to get it done."

Kruger is still adjusting to his new role of dropping into more coverage on early downs. Defensive coordinator Jim O'Neil said during training camp he expected Kruger would be harder to double team and draw more matchups with tight ends and running backs rather than offensive tackles.

It's costing Kruger between five and 10 extra pass-rush opportunities a game, but it makes the overall defense better, O'Neil said Friday, especially with the loss of Scott Solomon (ankle).

"It is not a lot of difference besides the fact that one is rushing and one is dropping into coverage," Kruger said. "It is a big difference, but as far as run-technique not any different. Just that and the passing situation that is where the change is.

"I think (the reason for the change) stemmed from an injury, but as far as a conclusive answer, to this point, I don't know. It is just going to be something that I have to figure out and just continue to get better at it."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/10/cleveland_browns_paul_kruger_a.html#incart_river

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
San Diego has the over #4 offense and #4 in passing yards, their defense in #3 against the pass and #9 overall. We better be able to run the ball because if we throw 40+ times again I think McCown implodes. Joe Haden and company better step up their game as well as whole defense or it will get ugly real quick. The Charger's are 28th against the run, almost as bad as us, Pettin better back up his run first type of team talk I think's it's our only chance to stay in this game.

Last edited by Knight; 10/01/15 07:45 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Show up with attitude. Lack of desire is what kills this team.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Of course we would see what somebody does well and try to limit them in that regard....

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
tomfoolery

Has there ever been a better word created, ever?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Replace Ray Farmer with Jimmy McGinty. That guy KNOWS talent. LOL

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19
Show up with attitude. Lack of desire is what kills this team.

Of course, there is no lack of desire to cash those game checks. LOL

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
I've put a lot of thought into this, and I think the Browns need to control the controlables.

Legend
Legend
I am old, and I favor the offensive side of the ball, but a couple things that I still look for and believe in as an ancient of days include these:

1) Do what you are best at doing, and do it often;

2) Create and try every strength and mismatch (Is a monster really a monster?; make the opponent perform.

3) Force them to adjust to you, and have the next wrinkle ready to exploit that adjustment.

Anything made more difficult is easier to screw up. Too many fronts, looks, formations need to succeed to be kept.

We are doing more things and poorly. Simplify and stop helping the enemy.
Tackling: Λ†It is a good thing."

We need a heart transplant and a win in that order.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Gameplan is to lose and lose BIG

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

at least we'll avoid penalties

Delay of game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Pettine strongly agrees.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Play bend dont break defense with a 4 man front and allow kruger and armonty to get after it. let the game come to u on defense.

Very conservative approach on offense. bubble screens to the WR, slip screens to the TE's and get the backs out in the pattern as well. Play the possession game and just let your special teams be the difference.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
I am old, and I favor the offensive side of the ball, but a couple things that I still look for and believe in as an ancient of days include these:

1) Do what you are best at doing, and do it often;

2) Create and try every strength and mismatch (Is a monster really a monster?; make the opponent perform.

3) Force them to adjust to you, and have the next wrinkle ready to exploit that adjustment.

Anything made more difficult is easier to screw up. Too many fronts, looks, formations need to succeed to be kept.

We are doing more things and poorly. Simplify and stop helping the enemy.
Tackling: Λ†It is a good thing."

We need a heart transplant and a win in that order.

I like this^

I've felt through these first few weeks that this team is playing to control the clock, but not playing to control the game. I know hat controlling the clock is a way to control the game, but they aren't necessarily one and the same thing.

Our defense is waiting to see what their offense does, THEN tries to react to it vs. tying to dominate the field.

Our offense has had some very nice lengthy drives at times, but it needs to open up more, it needs to take a few more chances.

Despite popular opinion, I think we do have some playmakers... we just need to get them in a position to make some plays

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
P
Legend
Legend
P
On D, attack, attack then attack some more. With their OL being so hurt, if we can't get to Rivers today, there's little hope. Stop outside run by maintaining the edge.

On offense, control the clock and finally establish the run. It's what we were told was the emphasis the entire off season. Time to show it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 27 Chargers 30 Game Plan vs. Chargers

Link Copied to Clipboard