Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish
I remember Jimmy Johnson stating emphatically: " the most important member in today's football organizations is the talent evaluator."

So to be successful...an NFL team needs coaching, talent and a talent evaluator. So right now, the Browns need coaching, talent and a talent evaluator. Got it. LMAO

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Also a consistent coaching philosophy that allows the players to grow, and to know what skill sets to look for in the players that are to be drafted.

#gmstrong
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
We've seen several Browns coordinators go on to have serious success elsewhere. Is that purely a reflection on the head coach, or is talent also a factor?

I'll admit that I don't know a ton about coaching. Which counts more: scheme philosophy, or motivation and teaching?

Honest question.

Earth is the biggest planet in the world.
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Originally Posted By: Brownie_Dawg
We've seen several Browns coordinators go on to have serious success elsewhere. Is that purely a reflection on the head coach, or is talent also a factor?

I'll admit that I don't know a ton about coaching. Which counts more: scheme philosophy, or motivation and teaching?

Honest question.

scheme is something that works for some things and not other things...scheme can get the other teams to try and take what you`ll give them

motivation means that you will compete at what the other team is good at.

scheme philosophy is like the cover 2 that makes the qb throw between the corner and safety. it limits what the wide receivers wanna do.

motivation means you wanna hit them hard and make em say uncle.

we need a differnt scheme and motivation

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
B
Legend
Legend
B

Honest question.

They are probably equal. You have to have some of both. A great teacher needs solid material to teach. A ineffective teacher can have great material, but if they can't get the message across...

But to the thread point, Arians is a good example of talent making the difference. He didn't all of a sudden become a good coach once he left the Browns. He was good when he was here. The difference is once he had better talent on the field, the results came.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The thing many overlook, is how long systems are in place. Pittsburgh changes coordinators, but hardly ever their schemes. They have a system and new coaches work within it.

Lewis has been at Cincy for a long time now. They are continuing to run the same schemes.

Cleveland will not keep a system in place for more than two years. We are hungry for a winner. We are told to be patient, but when you change biannually even your best players are put at a disadvantage.

If, for just once, they decide to keep a system in place for at least five years, the results should come. With that said, drafting has to be better. Changing a GM without firing the HC can work, but most GMs, have egos and want their players to be guys they chose, along with the coaches.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19

If, for just once, they decide to keep a system in place for at least five years, the results should come. With that said, drafting has to be better.

Quick question on this comment - How do you factor player turnover when trying to develop a system? Looking at our league tenure of players and looking 3 years ahead, how many of the current players will be here [and does Pet want] and can we have the right players in 3 years on both sides of the ball to have the system in place - and assuming we keep FO and Coaches for 3 more years? Seems like the odds are stacked against you b/c we are trying go develop a scheme when we have very few players on the roster that have been - or will be -with Browns for 5 year.

Quote:

24 Bademosi, Johnson DB 4
30 Campbell, Ibraheim DB R
26 Desir, Pierre DB 2
21 Gilbert, Justin DB 2
39 Gipson, Tashaun DB 4
23 Haden, Joe DB 6
35 Jones, Don DB 3
33 Poyer, Jordan DB 3
31 Whitner, Donte DB 10
36 Williams, K'Waun DB 2
22 Williams, Tramon DB 9
92 Bryant, Desmond DL 7
96 Cooper, Xavier DL R
93 Hughes III, John DL 4
98 Meder, Jamie DL 1
71 Shelton, Danny DL R
94 Starks, Randy DL 12
42 Johnson, Malcolm FB R
6 Coons, Travis K 1
95 Bryant, Armonty LB 3
59 Carder, Tank LB 4
56 Dansby, Karlos LB 12
50 DiManche, Jayson LB 3
58 Kirksey, Christian LB 2
99 Kruger, Paul LB 7
51 Mingo, Barkeviovs LB 3
44 Orchard, Nat LB R
53 Robertson, Craig LB 4
47 Hughlett, Charle OL R
77 Greco, John OL 8
55 Mack, Alex OL 7
67 Pasztor, Austin OL 3
72 Schwartz, Mitchell OL 4
73 Thomas, Joe OL 9
8 Lee, Andy P 12
7 Davis, Austin QB 4
2 Manziel, Johnny QB 2
13 McCown, Josh QB 13
34 Crowell, Isaiah RB 2
29 Johnson Jr., Duke RB R
27 Turbin, Robert RB 4
82 Barnidge, Gary TE 8
88 Bibbs, E.J. TE R
81 Dray, Jim T TE 6
84 Housler, Rob TE 5
11 Benjamin, Travis WR 4
80 Bowe, Dwayne WR 9
18 Gabriel, Taylor WR 2
83 Hartline, Brian WR 7
16 Hawkins, Andrew WR 5
15 Moore, Marlon WR 6

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
A
Legend
Legend
A
The thing many overlook, is how long systems are in place. Pittsburgh changes coordinators, but hardly ever their schemes. They have a system and new coaches work within it.

Lewis has been at Cincy for a long time now. They are continuing to run the same schemes.

Cleveland will not keep a system in place for more than two years.

Very good points. Many (often times myself I guess) view "continuity" as "keep the coaches and GM, etc" as opposed to viewing "continuity" as "pick a system and stay with it" kind of thing.

It's too tough in the nfl to replace systems every 2 years or so - too tough to get the needed "system" players necessary in only 2 years or so.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
Quick question on this comment - How do you factor player turnover when trying to develop a system? Looking at our league tenure of players and looking 3 years ahead, how many of the current players will be here [and does Pet want] and can we have the right players in 3 years on both sides of the ball to have the system in place - and assuming we keep FO and Coaches for 3 more years? Seems like the odds are stacked against you b/c we are trying go develop a scheme when we have very few players on the roster that have been - or will be -with Browns for 5 year.

Quote:

All teams have player turnover. The difference is that when these teams sign new guys the system they enter is ingrained. Therefore, they draft similar players that fit that system. Many good players from good systems chase the money, only to enter a system that they have less success in.

The browns have not kept the same system for more than a couple years, and the players that are here have to start over as well as the new arrivals. Vets can't help newbies with the system, as they are learning it themselves.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All teams have player turnover.

As a rule of thumb, it is on the order of 15-25% per season...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Which counts more: scheme philosophy, or motivation and teaching?

I think you nailed it.

My answer would be ALL FOUR!

To balance all four, hit on all four, and understand the priorities on addressing the most important one at the right time is the art of coaching.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Honest answer...TALENT...you can't teach TALENT and you got like 400 of the best to filter down to TALENT, Don't get me wrong you need All the philosophy (continuity of that philosophy throughout the team and coaches) Motovation and teaching of Technique. in the NFL where you got 1700 players with 400 new players filtering in every year. YOU GOT TO IMPROVE ON THAT TALENT OR YOU ARE DEAD IN THE WATER.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
My question is, not to beg the thread, what if it is evidenced that you seem to lack a bunch of both?

What is most important then? Pettine needs to dictate some different priorities of the OC and DC. Jawboning about how we just need to work it better, scheme is peachy, etc. after weekly losses is bad. Chase a win with some new adjustments. Just stop losing with the same crappy mistakes week in and out.

Starts with coaches. JMHO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I haven't weighed in on what's more important yet because I thought the premise of the discussion was ridiculous. However, after reading some of the OP's other posts, I think I get what he is doing. It's Pet's fault that we stink. LOL>.......right.

I'll weigh in:

Several posters already answered the question correctly. It's obviously both. There is no ONE answer. To ask for one answer is ridiculous, and I don't care how tough the language is when the OP is asking for an answer.

A good coach can not win in the professional ranks w/inferior talent. It's impossible.

Good talent can be hindered by pathetic coaching.

As a former player and coach, I know what is more important. It's talent. And it ain't even close.

Furthermore, the higher you move up the chain, there is less chance that coaching matters. If a great coach is matched against an ignorant coach on Pee Wee football, the results can be dramatic. Middle School coaches can be good and bad. A great coach can win because he is facing a terrible coach. It gets tougher in high school, especially in states like Ohio, where so many great coaches reside, but it can be done.

It gets harder and harder for a coach to make a huge difference as you move up. They can make a difference, but they CAN NOT TAKE TERRIBLE TALENT AND MAKE THEM INTO A WINNER.

Sorry, but it's not going to happen. So OldSchool........you may want to blame this all on Pet and exonerate Farmer, but your premise is pure BS!

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I've yet to see a talented team fielded since 1999, so I wouldn't be able to recognize good coaching or talent even if we did have them.

Last edited by HewDawg; 10/27/15 09:23 PM.
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I haven't weighed in on what's more important yet because I thought the premise of the discussion was ridiculous. However, after reading some of the OP's other posts, I think I get what he is doing. It's Pet's fault that we stink. LOL>.......right.

I'll weigh in:

Several posters already answered the question correctly. It's obviously both. There is no ONE answer. To ask for one answer is ridiculous, and I don't care how tough the language is when the OP is asking for an answer.

A good coach can not win in the professional ranks w/inferior talent. It's impossible.

Good talent can be hindered by pathetic coaching.

As a former player and coach, I know what is more important. It's talent. And it ain't even close.

Furthermore, the higher you move up the chain, there is less chance that coaching matters. If a great coach is matched against an ignorant coach on Pee Wee football, the results can be dramatic. Middle School coaches can be good and bad. A great coach can win because he is facing a terrible coach. It gets tougher in high school, especially in states like Ohio, where so many great coaches reside, but it can be done.

It gets harder and harder for a coach to make a huge difference as you move up. They can make a difference, but they CAN NOT TAKE TERRIBLE TALENT AND MAKE THEM INTO A WINNER.

Sorry, but it's not going to happen. So OldSchool........you may want to blame this all on Pet and exonerate Farmer, but your premise is pure BS!

Wow,

I disagree with most of your post.

I just see things differently.

Not sure about your Pettine angle and me. You seem to know things about me I don;t know.

O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Originally Posted By: HewDawg
I've yet to see a talented team fielded since 1999, so I wouldn't be able to recognize good coaching or talent even if we did have them.

Yes you would.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

Saban won at Miami with some of the worst teams in Dolphins history. The year after he left they went 1-15. It's not impossible.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Originally Posted By: eotab
Honest answer...TALENT...you can't teach TALENT and you got like 400 of the best to filter down to TALENT, Don't get me wrong you need All the philosophy (continuity of that philosophy throughout the team and coaches) Motovation and teaching of Technique. in the NFL where you got 1700 players with 400 new players filtering in every year. YOU GOT TO IMPROVE ON THAT TALENT OR YOU ARE DEAD IN THE WATER.

jmho

Here's my thing, though: Butch had a playoff team in 2002 that was full of FA, but when the team entered cap hell and had to make tons of cuts, 2003 became an ugly year.

So that screams "talent."

But when the 2007 team won 10 games, but the 2008 team only won 4 despite having the same key pieces, everyone (as far as I can remember) said it was because the players got cocky and assumed they were better than they really were.

That screams "coaching."

I don't want to be the boring guy who says "It's totally both," but I don't have strong evidence one way or another.

Earth is the biggest planet in the world.
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Butch had a playoff team in 2002 that was full of FA, but when the team entered cap hell and had to make tons of cuts, 2003 became an ugly year.

So that screams "talent."

I thought the 2002 team was easily the best coached team the Brown's have had since the days of Marty.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HewDawg

We've played against several since 1999 ....

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

Saban won at Miami with some of the worst teams in Dolphins history. The year after he left they went 1-15. It's not impossible.

Also, that QB we faced on Sunday (Nick Foles) had 27 TDs and 2 INTs under Chip Kelly.

E
Legend
Legend
E
2007 we just had enough continuity (3rd season) and for the most part we played one of the easiest schedules for the LOS competition. Also the power of Players believing in themselves which gave us an excellent home record. That is so key (I guess in your motivation bracket) you need to win.

Can't remember but 2008 there probably was some key injuries. DA lost some of his confidence. There was a power struggle with Savage dumping on RAC and with losing not winning the team started to unravel and the players gave up on the coaching (they lost the players in year 4) ergo...the Firings.

2009, the talent was probably the worst I ever saw on our team since 2000. We won our last 4 games of course getting us out of the Bradford running for overall #1 pick in the draft. We won games that season with 19 yards passing and 10 thrown passes the entire game??? Again memory but I'm close. Why some here who respect good coaching fell in love with Mangini as our coach. Even Holmgren surprisingly kept him on.

I think in 2008 we lost Tucker? Probably had Steinbach hurt. What I do know we had Rex Hadnot starting at RG and Shaffer starting at RT. They lost the team. It was all over. Players too big headed...I'm posters said that but was it the reason. We lost the LOS advantage and confidence of the players. That was the 07 08 difference.

Butch came in with the most horrendous Personnel decision and wasted 26 picks given to us by the Expansion process by Clark...who has never sniffed that job description again even though young. So Butch has to scramble and got OK - Experienced Mediocre Talent via FA that had to be Broken up in 03 due to 20mil over the cap.

He then literally had a nervous breakdown and lost the players in 04 that started out so good.
Right now I think we have the best across the board depth at talent. We definitely do not have a SUPERSTAR at QB. We have only DBs and LT of the key positions covered and 2 of our DB best have been injured all season. In General we lack team Explosion and speed on Defense. I don't see the swarm of D players on the ball carrier - yeah we missed tackles but that nano second he has them...should have 4 more coming immediately to finish it.

We don't have that penetration needed on the LOS. I think we are relying to much on Lateral UNITY of our OL instead of sticking with Zone blocking scheme but tone down the lateral OUTSIDE ZONE BLOCKING scheme brought in by Shanny...we don't have Shanny's total scheme....I say bag the Outside ZBS...stick with more POWER ZBS.

Just my observations but we had a stop of continuity when we lost our OL Coach.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O

2009, the talent was probably the worst I ever saw on our team since 2000. We won our last 4 games of course getting us out of the Bradford running for overall #1 pick in the draft. We won games that season with 19 yards passing and 10 thrown passes the entire game??? Again memory but I'm close. Why some here who respect good coaching fell in love with Mangini as our coach.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my take is that Mangini's teams were well coached. He can coach, although his people skills and man-management leaves a lot to be desired. Mangini has the ability to get things right between the lines.

The problem was, he absolutely destroyed the roster. Destroyed it, blew it up, and was mediocre at best on the drafts he controlled. He went overboard on the character guy thing and we lost out on good, young, talent.

Butch looked like a great coach his first year. But, he never built an offensive line, as you said his personnel moves were a disaster, and it bit us in the butt for years.

The Learner, Policy, Clark start was a complete and total disaster. For years we've had guys on the board act as apologists for those turkeys. They did the Cleveland Browns no favors. NO FAVORS AT ALL! The NFL gave our franchise over to three clueless people with no real experience. (Policy was a prima donna slickster who leached off of the work of Bill Walsh and nothing else. Bartolo was smart enough to leave Walsh alone, that is the legacy of the 49'rs dynasty)

Butch and Mangini could coach, so could the guy we paid 5 million a year to (who everyone understood had to coach the team and didn't). All three of them were complete disasters when it came to personnel.

But, that doesn't change my argument.

Talent is just "what could have been" if there isn't any high level teaching, coaching, instruction going on.

ps. Why do you like Moeller?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Olskool711

2009, the talent was probably the worst I ever saw on our team since 2000. We won our last 4 games of course getting us out of the Bradford running for overall #1 pick in the draft. We won games that season with 19 yards passing and 10 thrown passes the entire game??? Again memory but I'm close. Why some here who respect good coaching fell in love with Mangini as our coach.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my take is that Mangini's teams were well coached. He can coach, although his people skills and man-management leaves a lot to be desired.

The problem was, he absolutely destroyed the roster. Destroyed it, blew it up, and was mediocre at best on the drafts he controlled. He went overboard on the character guy thing and we lost out on good, young, talent.

Butch looked like a great coach his first year. But, he never built an offensive line, and it bit us in the butt for years.

Saying that Mangini destroyed the roster is assuming that he inherited a quality roster to start with. He did not.

Mangini dumped players like Edwards (after his 2nd off the field incident of the season, IIRC) and Winslow. (for a 2nd round pick, which, considering his injury history was quite impressive)

Mangini also only controlled one draft. That would be the 2009 draft, and from that draft we still have Alex Mack.

Tom Heckert took over in 2010.

It is hard to judge someone based on one draft. Mangini had few players survive, but we do still have Mack, and other players he drafted played significant years in the NFL. Maiava played 6 years, and Don Carey is still active in the NFL today.

His biggest problem was that Lerner panicked, and brought in the Walrus to steal money for a few years. That led to the downfall of Mangini as much as anything Mangini himself did.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
and was mediocre at best on the drafts he controlled.

Mangini unfortunately didn't control any drafts we had. 09 he was building the infrastructure of the organization as well as putting the staff together. Changing things even Mural position. He left Draft #1 to his go to decision of a GM Kokinos who also came from a big endorsement from Accorsi who advising Randy at the time.

Of course Kokinos was the only GM that I know of that got fired like 6 months into his job. But that first year was not a Mangini "CONTROLLED" draft. Year two Holmgren/Heckert were in charge.

Butch had a yes man - and his little black book (literally) with all HS talent evaluations for recruiting and I assume notes on their college careers as well???

jmho recollection.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Saying that Mangini destroyed the roster is assuming that he inherited a quality roster to start with. He did not.

I agree he didn't have much of a roster, but he did blow up what he had and left us with nothing.

Alex Mack does not a draft make. A center with your 1st round pick and that's it? Really?

Anyone who talks Mangini draft, I have two words for them: David Veikune (I live in Mtn. West territory, there were at lest 5 players on the Hawaii roster alone that were considered better football players.)

Mangini's draft was a first round center. I stand behind my position on his roster moves, although I agree with you that he didn't have much to start with -- They ended up crippling us.

O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O

Mangini unfortunately didn't control any drafts we had.

But that first year was not a Mangini "CONTROLLED" draft.

My recollection was that Mangini controlled everything except Kokonis's zipper.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Mangini unfortunately didn't control any drafts we had. Draft

I think eotab is willing to die on Kokinis Island. He believes Kokinis was in charge. I believe he is alone in this thinking.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mangini brought in Bowens and ? in order to aid in quickly implementing his schemes. Mack was a replication of the Nick Mangold pick of the Jets. Nothing necessarily wrong with doing that, but yes, that 2nd round was brutal...

O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Was that the draft that we traded the #5 to move down to twenty something and choose a center? (and, by the way, I've never had a big issue with Mack at twenty something)

E
Legend
Legend
E

Mangini unfortunately didn't control any drafts we had.

ignorance is bliss I guess.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Was that the draft that we traded the #5 to move down to twenty something and choose a center? (and, by the way, I've never had a big issue with Mack at twenty something)

I believe we traded down 3 times in that 1st round. I remember the draft announcers saying something to the effect that "the Cleveland Browns have finally made a pick" when they took Mack...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/k

Ok, It's been awhile, but I think KoKo gets a bad rap on here. Anybody remember when KoKo talked to an agent about a DB, (on the west coast if I remember right).

It came out after they fired KoKo. The agent told KoKo that he really didn't want his client to come to Cleveland because he thought Eric did not want him. KoKo told him that everybody loved him and to come on out. Well, when he got there Eric wouldn't even talk to the guy, because KoKo didn't get his permission! After that KoKo went into a shell and can you really blame him? I mean KoKo was the GM and it was his job to find upgrades for the Team. Eric was a total control freak. KoKo should have stood up to him and told him he was the GM and he was just going to have to deal with it. But Eric's the one who screwed KoKo. Just because of his ego.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
A few years ago, the Colts ended the year with a defense who couldn't tackle. At all! Dungy was getting ripped to shreds in the national press.

I think they had a bye week going into the playoffs (maybe not).

The first playoff game back they tackled fine and played good defense.

A month later they won their first SuperBowl.

What would cause a team, who looked like the worst tackling football team in NFL history, to go from incompetent to good in a few practices?

E
Legend
Legend
E
2007 we just had enough continuity (3rd season) and for the most part we played one of the easiest schedules for the LOS competition. Also the power of Players believing in themselves which gave us an excellent home record. That is so key (I guess in your motivation bracket) you need to win.

Can't remember but 2008 there probably was some key injuries. DA lost some of his confidence. There was a power struggle with Savage dumping on RAC and with losing not winning the team started to unravel and the players gave up on the coaching (they lost the players in year 4) ergo...the Firings.

2009, the talent was probably the worst I ever saw on our team since 2000. We won our last 4 games of course getting us out of the Bradford running for overall #1 pick in the draft. We won games that season with 19 yards passing and 10 thrown passes the entire game??? Again memory but I'm close. Why some here who respect good coaching fell in love with Mangini as our coach. Even Holmgren surprisingly kept him on.

I think in 2008 we lost Tucker? Probably had Steinbach hurt. What I do know we had Rex Hadnot starting at RG and Shaffer starting at RT. They lost the team. It was all over. Players too big headed...I'm posters said that but was it the reason. We lost the LOS advantage and confidence of the players. That was the 07 08 difference.

Butch came in with the most horrendous Personnel decision and wasted 26 picks given to us by the Expansion process by Clark...who has never sniffed that job description again even though young. So Butch has to scramble and got OK - Experienced Mediocre Talent via FA that had to be Broken up in 03 due to 20mil over the cap.

He then literally had a nervous breakdown and lost the players in 04 that started out so good.
Right now I think we have the best across the board depth at talent. We definitely do not have a SUPERSTAR at QB. We have only DBs and LT of the key positions covered and 2 of our DB best have been injured all season. In General we lack team Explosion and speed on Defense. I don't see the swarm of D players on the ball carrier - yeah we missed tackles but that nano second he has them...should have 4 more coming immediately to finish it.

We don't have that penetration needed on the LOS. I think we are relying to much on Lateral UNITY of our OL instead of sticking with Zone blocking scheme but tone down the lateral OUTSIDE ZONE BLOCKING scheme brought in by Shanny...we don't have Shanny's total scheme....I say bag the Outside ZBS...stick with more POWER ZBS.

Just my observations but we had a stop of continuity when we lost our OL Coach.

jmho

Bumping this up cause Diam a long time poster was putting in this discussion on the Game Day thread of Cards which will be wiped out soon.

Just wanted him to see this and add his thoughts here...wo we can call each other idiots...lol laugh

Actually I stated somewhere but not on this thread but a similar discussion on another that DIAM taught me up on the subject of Talent. I do think this team has a lot of talent...but Diam also gets caught in that quicksand of WRs and RBs even though that is not holding us back ONE BIT...way maybe a tiny bit but not much.

Again...the PARITY BREAKERS
QB - more than any other position!
LT - next rarest of the breeds
Edge Pass Rusher...Mingo not the guy - even though positive I know I stated before the draft that I'm ok with Lombardi making the pick - AS LONG AS IT WASN'T A LB... rolleyes I had to open my BIG MOUTH. You need around 2-3 of these guys to cause HAVOC.
Cover Corners - so you can go one on one and not having it as a mistake - more ammo for a pass rush! I think we are in the right direction here. Gilbert progressing and actually providing impact would be amazing for this franchise but we all know that ain't close to happening yet.
There is an * and that is to get a NOSE TACKLE...not a fill in guy but a guy who can become one of the best. Asterisk being that you run a 3-4 base D...I think we did this and have our guy. He will get a good off season to get into NFL shape and he hasn't show any bad habit signs in the class room and desire to become the best...that is there.

Talent...no not WR and RBs - those guys you need talent there but they are not rare. If one drops to you in the draft...by all means GET THEM! But if you get the other pieces especially the RARE ONES noted. You can win a championship without the elite top draft pick types.

QB we will soon find out...why I'm excited about Manziel playing. He could be the guy!

Edge Rushers!!! We fill those two lacking things and we will be very competitive and Win consistently...of course keep upgrading any and all positions. Don't reach just upgrade via bpa!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
All Pro
All Pro
B

Edge Rushers!!! We fill those two lacking things and we will be very competitive and Win consistently...of course keep upgrading any and all positions.

That's a maybe for me. I would agree with the competitive part, but maybe not "win consistently" aspect, as I feel the opposing QB can at times neutralize the rushers.

E
Legend
Legend
E
berea...its a combo of the PARITY BREAKERS...Combine with the Cover Corners and Edge rushers.

I was listing the Personnel in order of RARE.
QB, LT, Edge Rusher, CB and then the * for 3-4 teams add NT to the list.

Which we have missing...right now QB n Edge Rusher. established. And yes the great QBs will Score why you need our own GREAT QB...That is logical.

We need all the parity breakers HERE!
jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
berea...its a combo of the PARITY BREAKERS...

For me the word "combo" would be a key word.

As far as QB parity breaking, I believe Johnny Rehab is sober this week, including no white stuff since he's starting, and knows relatively more football than last year. superconfused

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why do i get the feeling if we had Von Miller and Dumerville that this staff would have them dropping 20 yards down field in coverage?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Coaching versus Talent

Link Copied to Clipboard