Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Does he develop players?

Does he develop young players?

Coaching is not just X's and O's and motivation. Skill development of individual players is a big part of it. Very few guys come out of college with what they need to succeed in the NFL - they have to actually be prepped for the combine.

I'm reading the board. There seems to be some concern over guys like Orchard, Erving, Shelton, Kirksey, Gilbert, etc.... actually most every guy on the team other than Barnidge.

Is he developing players?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"Continuity? Continuity for what?"

My Wife's response to an answer I gave her.

Legend
Legend

Actually position coaches develop position players. The position coaches normally are hired by the head coach so from that perspective I guess you could lay it on Pettine. He oversees their work.

The head coach bears the responsibility for everything. However, once the regular season begins his main duties are tied to game preparation and planning. He also upon consultation decides who plays.

As this season continues if the team ends up winning 3 to 5 games Pettine will be grilled.

I have watched the games closely and even though Pettine bears some of the blame; I don't believe the results are totally his fault.

Haslam will once again be center stage.

O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Are the offensive line position coaches operating at the highest level and developing offensive linemen to each players potential?

Are the secondary coaches operating at the highest levels and developing defensive backs to potential?

Are the defensive line coaches operating at the highest levels and ....

Are the .....

I'm looking for some straightforward analysis and comments from you guys. I've only been able to see one game so far (I don't have Sunday Ticket) and I wouldn't have many positives if I was to comment.

Oh well

C
Legend
Legend
C
There is no way for us to know the answer to your question.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe the receiver group has improved across the board from their routes to their blocking.

Manziel and McCown have both improved.

Our OL has taken a step back but we lost Shanny who was heavily involved with the OL along with our OL coach. lose one or the other ok, lose both ugg.

DL Shelton is growing into his role, Cooper looks like he is improving as well.

Linebackers ugg, just havent seen any signs of life from these guys.

secondary, the young guys are growing. I know people dont want to hear it but when Gilbert has been on the field he has looked way better. Desire has become much more physical. I thought Campbell was our best safety in preseason so the secondary coach is doing his job.

RB, we have a good RB coach, just not getting the production from this group.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Our OL has taken a step back

Has the line taken a step back ? or does Josh hold on to the ball to long ?

Legend
Legend
Well, we did lose our Oline coach before the season. Not sure how much that has to do with our issues. But I suppose it could have something to do with our issues.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Deisel its both.

when we are running our zone stretch, we just dont seem to have that killer instinct this year. Last year, guys were getting cut and put on the ground. This year, our backs are having to run around Our OL on the ground.

grecco is the only guy on the OL with any attitude when it comes to putting defenders on the ground.

Pass protection hasnt been nearly as bad as our QBs have made it appear. Both Manziel and mccown hold it to long.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think Josh has been doing a good job. The OLine has been getting overwhelmed. Earlier this year I saw several times where the Linemen were moving dropping into pass protection a shade early, but the movement wasn't called. Against St Louis those illegal procedure calls were made.

Was this trying to get a jump on the Defense a taught play, as in "This is something they never call so you can get away with it." Was this just a plain mistake or not is open to interpretation.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
I believe the receiver group has improved across the board from their routes to their blocking.

Manziel and McCown have both improved.

Our OL has taken a step back but we lost Shanny who was heavily involved with the OL along with our OL coach. lose one or the other ok, lose both ugg.

DL Shelton is growing into his role, Cooper looks like he is improving as well.

Linebackers ugg, just havent seen any signs of life from these guys.

secondary, the young guys are growing. I know people dont want to hear it but when Gilbert has been on the field he has looked way better. Desire has become much more physical. I thought Campbell was our best safety in preseason so the secondary coach is doing his job.

RB, we have a good RB coach, just not getting the production from this group.

When I read I'm understanding where your coming from, but then I start to break it down and realize you are using the word "improving" and I'm using development. So, I try to break it down and define each word.

Some units are developing. Still wondering what specifics you guys could add.

If we replaced the DC and a few of his position coaches, if we threw a ton of dough at the best Offensive Line coach out there, etc... what effect do you think this would have on Pettine and his future?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
"If we replaced the DC and a few of his position coaches, if we threw a ton of dough at the best Offensive Line coach out there, etc... what effect do you think this would have on Pettine and his future?"

We've already replaced one OL coach this year...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm reading the board.

The Board after a loss/es is not really the best source of information.

The young kids aren't half as bad as the perception.

Bitonio is having a rough 2nd season.
Kirksey I think is showing improvement and he has glimpses of outstanding Impact.
DeSir is on almost the same pace as Skrine. Loads of raw talent and has shown a lot of improvement from year one to year two. still got a ways to go.

Gilbert is the major disappointment as you expect impact from him you might wonder from that but we have Kwan Williams and DeSir progressing nicely and they were from the same Class. So it shouldn't be Coaching.

Some of your QUESTION seemed to imply that they are just teaching the play book X's n O's and not teaching the players technique and how to execute.

All coaches should be teachers first well the goods ones that advance - they teach the game. I laugh at some coaches I come across who well yell...OL BLOCK! and think thats coaching. No you sit them down find out what is going on then put in blocking schemes to resolve it. The X's n O's don't change.

If anything they might have too many reads and options from those reads. Where it might take 5 years to get all on board so that new comers can learn easier and faster.

If you read or saw Pettine's Monday presser he states that they break down the film for each individual and the position coaches goes over the things that show up in repetition as a negative which means they are doing it wrong out of habit...and they have to get taught.

He stated they ask them to watch the breakdown also and to question themselves on what they can do to make improvements - Weight Room, Film Room, challenging the individuals to push themselves to become better players. I'm not sure they take individuals by the hand and tell them you do this you do that. I think that is why Veteran players have value cause they sort of set the pace on the youngsters to push themselves to get better. The coaches are there to teach but that WR has to say...coach I want to stay late and work with the Jugs will you work with me. Good Coaches never say no. Good coaches make themselves available.

To get to the NFL stage I'm sure you have to be a good coach, rarely is there somebody there who just did not belong. Most of those are from the college ranks and just were in over their heads.

Right now the part hurting us the most on D...I think is the lack of hitting in practice...betcha the Pats hitting a lot more than regulations give...lol laugh

OL I think we should go more Zone blocking Schemes that have more Power blocking and get your doubles and 2nd tier from their. We leave too many gaps going stretch and we have gone away from a lot of under center to shotgun.

Losing a good OL coach was tough. We lost a good teacher and continuity.

But I am 99% positive we are teaching and not just going out there and running plays without the HOW TO EXECUTE not just run it.

I think our QB coach is very good, I think Flip is good. Not so sure on our RB coach I know many are excited about him but not sure if he's getting the job done...remember I'm including Blocking also.

Pettine isn't doing a lot of hands on teaching as HC but he is setting up the Schedule and the practices and when to run scout and helping with the Game plans. Just not too much on the execution. HC need that good staff especially OC, DC and ST

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Thanks

Appreciate the reply.

I agree about the Receivers and the QB coaching.

A couple years ago Pettine inherited a team with 6 Pro Bowlers.

Looking at the team this year, it seems like "improvement" is the best we are going to come up with.

When Pettine got the job, I figured him for a guy who would develop players and then get them to play hard and disciplined. Right now, I would have to dig deep into my homer hat to pull out anything that sounds like that. We can say they play hard on occasion, but defensive players who consistently take the wrong angles, who miss tackles, who can't shed blocks? An offensive line with 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders who can't provide a clean pocket or open holes.

Do the Browns have even the basics down?

Legend
Legend
The penalties on offense are killer. That goes to preparation.

On defense, it seems to me, that the better our offense does, the worse they do..

Or they may one really good play, and then give up a huge play..

Its maddening.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am getting a sick feeling that Pet is going to be the fall guy for Farmer's incompetence.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am getting a sick feeling that Pet is going to be the fall guy for Farmer's incompetence.

Vers...do you believe Pettine can improve as a leader? Thanks.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: The Beast

Are you saying he is not a good leader now? If so, how do you know that?

Legend
Legend
Part of what I liked when I heard it was matching the playbook to the player's skill set. We have had a habit of drafting a skill position player and ignoring it (a great blitzed so we rush three or four or, better yet, drop them into coverage.

Get your heads on right.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

No, I don't believe he is a good leader at all. This is known as an opinion. Hope it's still OK to have one around here. Thanks.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

No, I don't believe he is a good leader at all. This is known as an opinion. Hope it's still OK to have one around here. Thanks.

Sorry. I did not know you held that opinion. I don't really care one way or another.

I just think leadership is a hard thing to judge in the small amount of time we get to see Pettine. I am not prepared to say he is good or bad based on what I've seen.

To answer the original question, I think anybody can improve as a leader.

V
Legend
Legend
V
First thing.........ignore cfrs. I think he is pretty smart and I had hopes for him as a poster, but he is more interested in belittling posters than having a real discussion. He uses the board to feed his ego.

Secondly...........I need a bit of clarification on your question. Are you asking me if I think he can improve as a coach or simply as a leader?

C
Legend
Legend
C
First thing.........ignore cfrs. I think he is pretty smart and I had hopes for him as a poster, but he is more interested in belittling posters than having a real discussion. He uses the board to feed his ego.

This is the best.

Legend
Legend

I have to ask you to explain your thinking behind this, because I want to understand why you think there will even be a fall guy after the season.

Part of the motivation behind my post regarding continuity in the Manziel thread was this: I keep reading posts from LOTS of Dawgs that suggest that firings of some sort (either a few or a wholesale purge) are already a foregone conclusion.

I don't know where this thinking comes from. I'm privvy to all the same info as everyone else, and haven't gotten that impression at all. In fact, I've heard practically nothing from Haslam all season. Maybe I've missed some articles that dance near this subject?

There seems to be a LOT of it on the boards, but I feel left out of the loop. Have posters heard/read something that I missed? Or am I reading conjecture written as fact? (Some guys post the same way as they speak... and I've heard folks whose style is like that.)

From your tone, you seem certain about this... and I have had no leanings at all about what might happen in Jan '16.

Help, please.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Perhaps, Clem, I can help you out. The person you responded to is a know it all ego maniac that does as he pleases, yet calls others out for asking questions of him, or taking him to task.

Someone loves being "right", and flaunts it every chance he gets. Someone hates being wrong, and denies it every chance he can.

Someone also, although he/she gripes and moans about regime favoritism and bias...has their own bias but just won't admit it.

That certain someone also has me on ignore. Probably because I called him/her out when need be, and he/her didn't like it and got tired of not being able to rule the board.

As to your question, I've not seen anything that makes me think Pet is gone.

My own opinion is, if Pet gets fired, we're back to square 1 yet again. 2 years and a reboot. Seems to be the case in Berea. I certainly hope it doesn't happen, for a number of reasons.

Legend
Legend
i'd question whether he can develop talent, our scheme for that matter, at least as far as the defensive side of the ball goes.

we've gone from a top ten defense to the bottom of the barrel.

People like to blame Farmer, which he deserves, but remember: the coach has input on who stays and goes as well. maybe not the final decision, but he has weight.

so who's to say Farmer and Pettine weren't in agreement on all, if not most of the roster changes?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
I don't care if Farmer stays or goes. His record so far doesn't look good.

Pettine, I hope we keep. Partly because I think he can develop into a good coach, and partly because I don't see how we could replace him with anything better without giving him a longer shot. We killed ourselves by firing Chud after one year. We have to show some type of commitment if we ever hope to change the coaches we can get.

I think we can survive pulling the plug on a GM early much easier than getting rid of another coach too soon.

I think O'Neil should/could go at the end of the year.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule
I don't care if Farmer stays or goes. His record so far doesn't look good.

Pettine, I hope we keep. Partly because I think he can develop into a good coach, and partly because I don't see how we could replace him with anything better without giving him a longer shot. We killed ourselves by firing Chud after one year. We have to show some type of commitment if we ever hope to change the coaches we can get.

I think we can survive pulling the plug on a GM early much easier than getting rid of another coach too soon.

I think O'Neil should/could go at the end of the year.

Good points.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
LOTS of Dawgs suggest that firings of some sort (either a few or a wholesale purge) are already a foregone conclusion.

Maybe not forgone conclusion. How about a feeling, an understanding that when things get to a certain point, when a definitive line has been crossed, there is no way of retrieval, no matter if Pettine was the promised one.

Kinda like that "quicksand" metaphor on the movie "The Replacements" things just keep getting deeper and deeper. The harder Pettine tries to swim out the thicker and more hopeless it gets. I see the same sort of thing. Its been like that for him since the first week on the job, and it has never let up. He overcame a lot to get a good start last year, but it wasn't nearly enough.

You start to get the feeling that it never will be.

Jimmy knows it. He may be too gun shy right now and at the end of the season, to pull the trigger, but he knows that 2 years of being overwhelmed with dysfunction and adversity on steroids will pretty much do anybody in. Pettine needs an edge, and I'm not sure if he's gonna get it back while he's in this job.

Of course, my question was does he develop players? Players are taught and developed in a progressive, dynamic, and intelligent way. I'm looking for guys who will tell me exactly what they think. Is he doing this? Are we making excuses for him?

C
Legend
Legend
C
We could probably hire Dusty Baker.

V
Legend
Legend
V
There aren't reports that quote Haslam, Clem. I think you already knew that, though. LOL

It's the record. We are 2 and 5. We have lost 10 of the last 12. Haslam said he believed in continuity when he first bought the team, but made sweeping changes a year later.

Our first round picks are disappointing at best. Our roster has gotten older w/out getting better. How many games would you favor us in if you were to look at the upcoming schedule. There have been reports of dysfunction. Pet's name is on the list of coaches most likely to get the axe in national articles. I know that it isn't a in-house source, but there are reasons why others are speculating on his job security. It's not really a pretty picture, Clem.

Of course, I am speculating. Then again, people were speculating when they said the team was headed in the right direction before the year. How it felt different this year. How we going to challenge for a playoff spot. I don't you recall you asking them to provide proof, or did I miss you doing so?

It's a message board, Clem. We speculate and discuss. That's kind of the purpose, right? I am not denying your right to have the opinion that there will be no changes made. It's not an illogical opinion. By the same token, speculating that changes will be made is not illogical either.

O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
I'm not calling for Pettine's head.

But, the above posts suggest there are clear things that need to be answered to.

The guy was dealt a real bad hand. He jumped. Generational wealth and the opportunity to reach the pinnacle of a football coaching career. Not a bad deal and worth putting up with everything he has had to.

He got into the mixer. Like Chud. Both they and their families will live life comfortably because of it. Its part of the deal.

Can Pettine develop young players? Can he develop and cause veterans to thrive? Is he a winner?

If Mike Pettine is expected to answer to anything it should be:

1. Hiring your buddy who isn't up for the challenge. (Is he willing to let go? If not, he may fall with O'Neill. I can see a possibility where O'Neill keeps his DC salary and goes back to being the linebackers coach, but that usually doesn't happen)

2. Camp Cupcake
(this looks like it was a big mistake)

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey Clem........I tried answering your question. Haven't heard back from you.

This quote from Farmer might help answer your question, as well:

Quote:
“Should we have won some games, could we have won some games? Absolutely. Did we win them? No. So the NFL says you are who you are, you are who your record says you are.

“In that instance, we’re going to turn around and say, ‘OK, we know who we are. We know the games we could have won. We know the games we should have won. We know the mistakes we’ve made. How do we correct those?’”

Sounds like he is throwing Pet under the bus.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Pettine sucks, he shows no enthusiasm, the defense sucks, the team has no discipline with all the penalties, he is all talk and no play. He repeats the same thing over and over in his press conferences, but presents no solution. Other teams turn their clubs around after crappy play, but with the Browns it's same ole same ole and Pettine and Farmer are following that same template of garbage. I am tired of all the BS excuses and mostly of watching this team lose. We are the laughing stock of the NFL. Even the 0-16 Lions turned it around and made the playoffs after a couple years.

We are terrible
E
Legend
Legend
E
Odd you would choose the Lions as your calling card. smh You mean the 1-6 Lions? Sometimes I got to wonder. saywhat

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Originally Posted By: Goose7
Pettine sucks, he shows no enthusiasm, the defense sucks, the team has no discipline with all the penalties, he is all talk and no play. He repeats the same thing over and over in his press conferences, but presents no solution. Other teams turn their clubs around after crappy play, but with the Browns it's same ole same ole and Pettine and Farmer are following that same template of garbage. I am tired of all the BS excuses and mostly of watching this team lose. We are the laughing stock of the NFL. Even the 0-16 Lions turned it around and made the playoffs after a couple years.

If so, when does Jimmy shift from "we aren't blowing things up" to I have to blow things up? In other words, what degree of disgruntlement, apathy, fan revolt is necessary in order for Jimmy to not have a choice?

Are they holding off on starting Manziel in order to save him for a late season PR surge if things continue to regress?

If the team isn't playing well, and we have no stars, what is left?

Continuity?

Hope? There appears less hope, on this board, to me at any time I can remember. I've been around a lot longer than the bio on the left says I have.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Olskool711
I'm not calling for Pettine's head.

But, the above posts suggest there are clear things that need to be answered to.

The guy was dealt a real bad hand. He jumped. Generational wealth and the opportunity to reach the pinnacle of a football coaching career. Not a bad deal and worth putting up with everything he has had to.

He got into the mixer. Like Chud. Both they and their families will live life comfortably because of it. Its part of the deal.

Can Pettine develop young players? Can he develop and cause veterans to thrive? Is he a winner?

If Mike Pettine is expected to answer to anything it should be:

1. Hiring your buddy who isn't up for the challenge. (Is he willing to let go? If not, he may fall with O'Neill. I can see a possibility where O'Neill keeps his DC salary and goes back to being the linebackers coach, but that usually doesn't happen)

2. Camp Cupcake
(this looks like it was a big mistake)

I won't get in to the first half of this post, because I'm not sure what generational wealth has to do with anything. I'm not much of a class warfare guy if that was some of the angle you were taking. If not, I apologize.

As to the questions he needs to answer:

1) I sigh every time Pet gets criticized for "hiring his buddy". Every time someone says that, they make it sound like it's professional taboo when the truth of the matter is that ALL HC's and coordinators hire their buddies. Pet didn't do anything different than any other coach in the NFL has done.

The only valid part of the question is whether or not Oneill is able to get the job done. Oneill actually was a fairly logical choice when you look at it. Spent the last few seasons with him, knows the system that Pet wants to put in place, a system that generally was pretty good. Why try to bring in someone else who wants to run something different, or has to be taught this one?

All we know about our defense this year is that its been uninspired and its been the biggest disappointment of the season so far. is Oneill incapable? Do the players just not get the advanced concepts? A few weeks ago Tramon said there weren't enough calls, then a week and a half ago we get reports saying that the Dline and LBrs are having trouble getting on the same page with their reads.

As far as I'm concerned, if we have to simplify it and go back to last years defense, then that's what we need to do. We're in a solid 2nd place in our division if our defense plays like it did last season.

2) Camp Cupcake.

In this respect I think Per over estimated what the players were capable of, and he trusted the Vets too much. I think its been our Vets that have been more disappointing than the younger guys. And maybe a lot of these guys with muscle aches should have been pressed to play more in the preseason.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Deisel its both.

when we are running our zone stretch, we just dont seem to have that killer instinct this year. Last year, guys were getting cut and put on the ground. This year, our backs are having to run around Our OL on the ground.

grecco is the only guy on the OL with any attitude when it comes to putting defenders on the ground.

Pass protection hasnt been nearly as bad as our QBs have made it appear. Both Manziel and mccown hold it to long.

The O-line is a flat out disaster against any decent defensive front. Whether that's scheme or "want to" may be a question mark, but my bet is on "want to". They get pushed around like little bitches, jump off side like they're scared to get hit, and hold because they're afraid to let go.

These are grown men and professional athletes on both sides of the ball, the difference is, then men on our side of the ball play defensively instead of aggressively. Whenever they face a good defensive front, they are simply unable to open holes in the run game and the pocket collapses immediately on passing downs more often then not. If the QB's have to hold onto the ball for a second longer on occasion to find the open man, then it's their job to provide the time to do that, but they can't or better yet, they won't. The deficiencies in that squad were glaringly apparent in the pre-season, were exposed for everyone to see game one, and they haven't improved one bit since.

The coaches can coach until their heads explode, but until the men on the O-line man up and start playing like men, decide they will over power then man opposite them to open a run hole, not move until the ball is snapped and block with aggression and proper technique, they will continue to get pushed around and the offense will continue to fall apart against any and all decent defenses.

When it's all said and done, the season is over, and it's all graded out, I expect to see major changes on that squad, because this over-hyped, mediocre group needs a serious overhaul.

JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
anybody watching this game...or the season, shouldn't be advocating pettine staying.

our team isn't good at anything.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
S
Rookie
Rookie
S
I concur. Time to clean house again!!!!Pettine & Farmer both deserved to be fired!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't think it's all on Mike Pettine, but clearly the players aren't responding to him very well right now.

The running game stinks (cause we lost Shanahan).

We have ZERO pass rushers along with a banged up and lost looking secondary.

Mike Pettine has been dealt a pretty bad hand as far as "talent" goes, but I don't understand how a 7-9 and mostly competitive team last year just takes two big steps backwards.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Next Question on Mike Pettine

Link Copied to Clipboard