Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bigf00t Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Its painfully obvious that the front office and coaching staff are just not on the same page. We blew a #22 pick on a QB that the head coach didn't believe in. He obviously prefers a pocket passer. You can't pound a square peg into a round hole. But it looks like that is what he wants.

I was strongly on the stay with the flow, don't blow things up, keep the continuity... until the half time statements and the post game thoughts. The bengals wanted to contain Manziel and keep him in the pocket. Escaping the pocket was working. Johnny was moving the ball, we were in the game. Then Pet says, we need to settle him down, keep him in the pocket. And the Bengals said thank you.... So they put the handcuffs on him, and the second half adjustment backfires into another loss. Unbelievable.

So the question is- what do you blow up.... Because something has to go. A #22 pick that is showing some flashes or a GM/Coach that look in over their head, or flush it all??

I guess I start NOW with canning the GM/Coach.... see what I have in Johnny, and start over there if needed.

And that leads me to my question- who could be interim coach. This staff is so young at the key positions, who is remotely qualified. There is no defensive or offensive adviser that could step in. Maybe that was by Pets design??

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'll say this. I don't think Haslam blows it up unless he has a plan already in place. If he doesn't, you'll just get another Mike Pettine as a coach.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I'll say this. I don't think Haslam blows it up unless he has a plan already in place. If he doesn't, you'll just get another Mike Pettine as a coach.

+1

Im tired of us firing everyone then scrambling to hire whomever we can land. If he doesnt have qualified people lined up we need to stay the course.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
So who's that NFL HC again that is ok with his QB NOT playing in the pocket? Saying things like "Manziel is who he is, why change him" is ignorant of the fact that no NFL team has that kind of gameplan for their QB, so don't act as if Pettine is that dummy that asks totally outlandish things from Manziel. If you can't produce from the pocket, you will never make it in the NFL

This is exactly the debate we had over him when he entered the draft with his fans gushing about his game and "who he is", "let Johnny be Johnny" etc and his doubters saying that this exactly is the problem. "Who he is" is not NFL material, he lacks the talent.

Back to your question: NO, there's no one.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
B
bigf00t Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
but something needs to go. They drafted a QB that they only believed in 50%.....

If Pet wanted a pocket passer, then should have taken Carr....

Its just ineptitude at the top.

So stay the course, draft another QB.... ???

Legend
Legend
To answer the question, no, I don't think there is anyone qualified to take over as HC

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
bigf00t Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
but bottle him up all of the time, handcuff him to the pocket- it takes away his intangibles.
The first half was working, even with our midget receivers. Second half handcuffed- not so much.

Bevell doesn't seem to have any problem with his QB... just game plans to his strengths....

B
bigf00t Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
To answer the question, no, I don't think there is anyone qualified to take over as HC

that's my take as well, just curious if anyone else had any thoughts.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Tabor would probably be the guy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thats the only choice he would have ...

Legend
Legend
our RB coach or Tabor.

Paul Dunn has been around awhile, but not in Cleveland long enough

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Joke Phillips was the head coach of Kentucky.

Chuck Driesbach was the assistant head coach at Rice (but he's one of Pettine's butt buddies, so I doubt he would take that spot).

I think we are stuck with Pettine until the end of the season.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I think GM and our scouts are more concerning than our coaches. We could have Bill Parcels and Bill Bellicheck combined, and neither won't be successful if they aren't granted clean, workable, productive and etc talent.

Simple as that IMO

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
I think GM and our scouts are more concerning than our coaches. We could have Bill Parcels and Bill Bellicheck combined, and neither won't be successful if they aren't granted clean, workable, productive and etc talent.

Simple as that IMO

Do you think our scouts are listened to?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
We do have talent. Stop saying we don't. Isn't Pettine a secondary guy? Why are they so bad? Is that on Farmer?

If I'm firing anyone, it's Pettine. But I don't want either fired. Choosing between Pettine and Johnny, I would still choose Pettine, and I adore Johnny.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawg_Traveler

Simple as that IMO

At this stage, it's really anyones guess.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Texas_Brown
We do have talent. Stop saying we don't. Isn't Pettine a secondary guy? Why are they so bad? Is that on Farmer?

If I'm firing anyone, it's Pettine. But I don't want either fired. Choosing between Pettine and Johnny, I would still choose Pettine, and I adore Johnny.

We may have talent, but we don't have nearly enough! High draft position doesn't equate to talent. Who are our playmakers? Barnidge, Coons, Lee, Bejamin? Is there one player on the defense who scares opposing offenses? Is there one player on offense who scares opposing defenses? We don't have enough talent to win consistently.

That's not excusing the coaching, either, but it's a combination more than it's either/or.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend

In answer to the question. No.

Haslam has major problems to address as this season limps along to conclusion.

For a team to continue to be last in rushing defense over three years in a row?

How can Haslam accept no improvement when you know the area that must be improved as the team enters the season?

The defense has been beyond horrible.

The second half numbers are very revealing.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
When he addresses the problems he better have a REAL football guy to help him so he can finally make some good choices.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_Traveler

Simple as that IMO

No, I don't think they are being listened to. I think we have a GM with a huge ego and he's trying to outsmart everyone. It doesn't appear to be working.

That's why one of my thoughts was to not get rid of Farmer, but find someone to support him and force him to think about what he's doing.

Funny but as I wrote that, I realized that just won't work. LOL

He's gotta go. I'd not have an issue with keeping Pettine.. I don't dislike Flip. He's young, new at the job and does have a bit of a dearth of talent.

O'neil has some of the same issues, youth, new and is missing talent either because it's not here or it's injured.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
If that is the course of action...why would anyone care? Blow up is a Blow up...Coaches - Gone, GM - Gone, Personnel Gone...

Would that part of it be the big decision.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
If that is the course of action...why would anyone care? Blow up is a Blow up...Coaches - Gone, GM - Gone, Personnel Gone...

I believe that it should be a huge part of the decision. I've never seen the sense of a blow up mid season unless there is someone at your disposal you feel will be an upgrade. It serves no purpose.

Now if you have the opportunity to upgrade at the end of the season and feel an upgrade is needed, at that point to me it makes a lot more sense.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Originally Posted By: CBFAN19
Originally Posted By: Texas_Brown

We may have talent, but we don't have nearly enough! High draft position doesn't equate to talent. Who are our playmakers? Barnidge, Coons, Lee, Bejamin? Is there one player on the defense who scares opposing offenses? Is there one player on offense who scares opposing defenses? We don't have enough talent to win consistently.

That's not excusing the coaching, either, but it's a combination more than it's either/or.

I'm not saying we have talent across the board, but I do believe we have enough to compete. If you look at the secondary in a vacuum you see the failure of the COACHES, not the GM. At almost every position where one can claim failure by Farmer, there is another guy he brought in that was a smart move. West-Crowell. Gilbert (and I don't buy that his failure is Farmer's fault)-K'Waun, Tramon. Manziel-McCown. Housler-Barnidge, Bibbs. Bowe (whose crappiness I also put on Pettine)/not taking a 2014 WR.-Gabriel, Hawkins, etc.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'm about as disgusted as everyone else but my GUT keeps telling me Pettine and Flip should get at least one more year. Maybe that's insane, I don't know.

I want Farmer and O'Brien gone yesterday.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I see you are new to the board. How much is Farmer paying you?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I believe that it should be a huge part of the decision. I've never seen the sense of a blow up mid season unless there is someone at your disposal you feel will be an upgrade. It serves no purpose.

Now if you have the opportunity to upgrade at the end of the season and feel an upgrade is needed, at that point to me it makes a lot more sense.

The only logic I see in it is other teams are also garage sale shopping for coaches at seasons end. Halfway through, the isles are pretty clear of other shoppers.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
hmmm Maybe e could pick up a 80" model with all the new bells and whistles real cheap on Black Friday wink

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
hmmm Maybe e could pick up a 80" model with all the new bells and whistles real cheap on Black Friday wink

I think we can go with a 71" coach but we may have to let him improvise a bit to still get the job done. wink

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
I have never been a fan of coaching changes mid season unless people feel that making the change can turn the season around.

At this point, ride it out with who we have and at seasons end make those decisions.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
the interim coach move usually turns out like Romeo Crennel. Guy takes over, team improves marginally, players rally around him and you give him a contract. And then you regret it. It looks like Miami this year could possibly be the exception.
I want to fire Farmer and Pettine every Sunday night (or Thursday). But we aren't going anywhere and Pettine can either miraculously show something or he will go 4-12 and we get a high pick I would say that we must not let Farmer make that high pick!

Legend
Legend
Before firing coaches starts, Pett needs to look at coordinators, and detail a game not like the ones we are losing. Shoot some sacred cows and simplify, specialize.

Pressure D. Vertical attack, short digs and slants thrown to those who catch. Stop placing a premium on who we drop into coverage off the line. Shelton is not used properly.

Look at how you lost and eliminate some of those things. Pett puts a premium on talk to everybody, groupspeak committee decisions. Admirable to a point if you are winning. Pointless if any plan is hijacked or killed by any FO, especially Scheiner.

Play Manziel because losses can help us more at this point. Make your decisions.
Change some things. Losing the same way week in and out gets old. Week in and out, we concede first downs by playing stoopid cushions and let receivers run free off the line. And we get smoked, fall down, slip, slide, chase, watch 1st downs, awfully awful it is.

Pressure, not drops. Gaps. Press buys time for the rush and disrupts timing; this can help secondary if rush improves. O'Neil is giving away games with leads. Decide why.

Doctor: Does it hurt when I do this?
Pett: Ouch! Yeah . . .
Doctor: Don't do that anymore. Pay the receptionist.

We area not learning from or correcting mistakes. Demand different. Start with the OC/DC. And yourself.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: The Big G
the interim coach move usually turns out like Romeo Crennel. Guy takes over, team improves marginally, players rally around him and you give him a contract. And then you regret it. It looks like Miami this year could possibly be the exception.

The interim coach that actually benefitted Indi is now tearing it up in Arizona. But at least they have PaganoOhhhh never mind.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

And you claim you are Realistic... saywhat

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree with ya Peen ( kills my soul though ) . But I see absolutely Zero reason to keep any of this ORG. after the season .. Haslam has to do a better job as an owner also !

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
I agree with ya Peen ( kills my soul though ) . But I see absolutely Zero reason to keep any of this ORG. after the season .. Haslam has to do a better job as an owner also !

How does one become a better an an owner? Sure, he has to hire people who produce results, but IMO that is largely luck . When Farmer was hired the word was mostly positive from multiple sources. Pettine may have been a late choice, but for the most part most people seemed to like the hire. Haslam has also shown he isn't afraid to spend money. That is usually the #1 area that gets fans ticked off...not spending money.

I don't have the answers, that's for sure. I really expected and felt we could win 9 games this year. I felt all along McCown was going to do a good job. I said he might become our Steve DeBurg, who had 2-3 pro-bowl seasons after 10 or so of being a run of the mill, part time starter. I never envisioned our defense was going to become like swiss cheese after looking pretty darn solid the previous season.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If he makes changes in the off season ( one can pray ) , this will be His third Rodeo ..

I would think by this time he would try and reach out to the MOST Experienced GM and or both GM and President of operations # 1 .. Then get the GM to use every thing at his disposal ( Money / influence / Black Mail ) what ever to get us a bona - fide Coaching staff .. Farmer /Pettine and staff had no proven Coach's , well except Shanny and he couldn't wait to get out ..

Rookie
Rookie
To answer the question no we do not have a viable interim coach on this staff. As for blowing this thing up right now Haslam is not that stupid! However Pett has to worried at this point

Results not Excuses Marty Schottenheimer 1984
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Haslam is not going to fire anyone before the season is over.

That would only add fuel to the Cleveland is dysfunctional fire, and he does not want any more drama than is necessary.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I see you are new to the board. How much is Farmer paying you?

Haha! Nothing, unfortunately. I just see a lot more to like about him than Pettine at the moment. But again, I wouldn't get rid of either.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c----kinda/sorta:

I do not think we need to blow this entire thing up. Almost everyone has talked about the importance of continuity. That is why I started the Continuity threads. I wanted a real discussion w/as many different angles and opinions as were possible. mac kinda killed that, when he started a new one and told us what to think. Oh well........

I still think continuity is important. I think we should maintain some sense of continuity.

I think coaches can improve. You are constantly evaluating your strategies, you player evaluations, your relations w/the media, your game management, your game plans, etc. You can improve in those areas.

I do not think it's the same for a GM. He can improve upon things like how he interacts w/the media, his coaching staff, his scouting staff..........but you either have an eye for talent or you don't. You don't think you can grab 4th round qbs who were drafted as WRs and think you can make them a qb and revolutionize the game.

Bad coaching can hurt you on a play, a game, and even a season.

A bad GM can have a bad draft and that will hurt you for a decade.

We simply cannot afford to continue to blow draft classes and make ignorant free agency decisions.

Farmer has to go. I would give Pet another chance and keep the coaching staff together, except for maybe O'Neil.

Now......all that goes out the window if Haslam can get Saban. I would give him complete control and roll w/it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Is there anyone on our current coaching staff qualified to be an interim head coach??

Link Copied to Clipboard