Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
I am OK with Johnny partying provided he does so responsibly and it doesn't compromise his ability to do his job. It's kind of unrealistic to expect a 22 year old to live like a priest.

Thank you.

But that seems to be the pigeon hole Johnny's been put into even though there has been no negative effects of it all year.

Judging from Pettine's reaction, he either really hates Manziel and is looking for a reason to go back to McCown or what is likely more plausible ...

Manziel violated some oral agreement with Pettine ... could have been "don't drink", "don't show up on social media", "don't drink and show up on social media" ... and that is the real issue ... that he broke a trust he had reluctantly earned and was reinforced with him prior to his break.

I don't think Pettine really gives two craps about him drinking, hanging out in a club, or partying with friends. The real issue is he asked Manziel not to do any of that before he left, Manziel told him he wouldn't, and then he proceeded to do it. I'm sure Pettine did not have that discussion with any other players.

So there are two big problems here ... 1) the discussion had to take place in the first place and 2) if substantiated, Manziel likely lied to Pettine.

This isn't about having a drink or partying or even taking pictures having a drink and partying.

If Manziel can't stay out of the clubs for one weekend, it's probably time to move on.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: columbusdawg
If he is good, none of this will matter and everyone will forget about it.

If we release him, as some propose, I think he will be good but it will be with the Cowboys and we'll never live it down as in so many other things we, as an organization, will never live down.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Judging from Pettine's reaction, he either really hates Manziel and is looking for a reason to go back to McCown or what is likely more plausible ...

Manziel violated some oral agreement with Pettine ... could have been "don't drink", "don't show up on social media", "don't drink and show up on social media" ... and that is the real issue ... that he broke a trust he had reluctantly earned and was reinforced with him prior to his break.

I don't think Pettine really gives two craps about him drinking, hanging out in a club, or partying with friends. The real issue is he asked Manziel not to do any of that before he left, Manziel told him he wouldn't, and then he proceeded to do it. I'm sure Pettine did not have that discussion with any other players.

So there are two big problems here ... 1) the discussion had to take place in the first place and 2) if substantiated, Manziel likely lied to Pettine.

This isn't about having a drink or partying or even taking pictures having a drink and partying.

If Manziel can't stay out of the clubs for one weekend, it's probably time to move on.

I don't think you could possibly be more correct about this.

Last edited by Flap; 11/24/15 03:45 PM.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

If we release him, as some propose, I think he will be good but it will be with the Cowboys and we'll never live it down as in so many other things we, as an organization, will never live down.

That is my fear too, however that hasn't really panned out in the past with players we let walk. I just think it would be an absolutely horrible decision to not see what you have before letting go. Especially over things that are not even illegal.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
"He's a prisoner of his success," linebacker Karlos Dansby said of Manziel, who did not speak to reporters.

link

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R

That is my fear too, however that hasn't really panned out in the past with players we let walk. I just think it would be an absolutely horrible decision to not see what you have before letting go. Especially over things that are not even illegal.

I think Manziel can be a really good player. Many of his naysayers more hate the person more than the player and they mix the two up.

But there is a very real possibility Manziel derails his own career. If he cannot keep his word to his coach for 2 or 3 days, which is what I suspect happened, that's not a good sign.

I was really looking forward to the rest of the season. I'm so tired of the drama. Now I just want the season to end, and I want us to have the first pick, and I want to pick Lynch.

Last edited by Rishuz; 11/24/15 03:57 PM. Reason: To make ddubia happy.
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Sorry but Pettine has no right to proscribe his private life, he's not his father. If he doesn't play JM I hope he gets fired for insubordination BEFORE the game.

Last edited by ThomasE; 11/24/15 04:02 PM.
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
<<The Cleveland Browns As his Employer have the right to tell him not to engage in behavior the organization believes acts against the best interest of the team>>

This applies equally to Pettine...anytime someone validates Hoge I KNOW they're wrong.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I maintain the media puts him in the position for controversy since there really is none except that which the media falsely expands it into.

The media forced him to go to the club?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

But there is a very real possibility Manziel derails his own career. If he cannot keep his word to his coach for 2 or 3 days, that's not a good sign.

Keep in mind, that the "keep his word" thing, which sounds highly plausible, is something you made up.

Last edited by ddubia; 11/24/15 03:59 PM.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ThomasE
Sorry but Pettine has no right to proscribe his private life, he's his father. If he doesn't play JM I hope he gets fired for insubordination BEFORE the game.

How many instances of blatantly ignoring your bosses requests of how to represent your company in public - not 3 days ago that you agreed to - would you see as reasonable? This guy can only double-barrel-middle-finger his superiors so many times.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I changed it for you.

C
Legend
Legend
C
[quote=columbusdawg]
But there is a very real possibility Manziel derails his own career. If he cannot keep his word to his coach for 2 or 3 days, that's not a good sign.

Keep in mind, that the "keep his word" thing, which sounds highly plausible, is something you made up.

Manziel said we wouldn't hear about him during the bye week. He just can't not go out

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I maintain the media puts him in the position for controversy since there really is none except that which the media falsely expands it into.

Of course, they drug him there, drugged.

NO, but when you do something that is not really a controversial thing, but it turns into one because of the hyped-up way it's blasted all over the media, then it's the media that made the controversy and not the actions of the man.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I changed it for you.

You changed what for me bud?

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C

NO, but when you do something that is not really a controversial thing, but it turns into one because of the hyped-up way it's blasted all over the media, then it's the media that made the controversy and not the actions of the man.

Did Manziel know this was going to happen before he went out? If no, then how dumb is he? Party at home.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Manziel said we wouldn't hear about him during the bye week. He just can't not go out

He probably meant he wouldn't do anything wrong. And I don't think he did. If he made a mistake at all it was making a promise when he had no control over how the media would run with him doing such a simple thing.

We all heard of it because of the media, not because of any wrong doing by Manziel.

In so far as "He just cannot go out", can you not see that as something not of his own making? You go to a movie. While there you did nothing wrong, nothing anyone else wouldn't have done. But you can't go to a movie anymore, because you were there.

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Partying at home is never as fun, especially for a wealthy 22 year old.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Did Manziel know this was going to happen before he went out? If no, then how dumb is he? Party at home.

There is that.

#gmstrong
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
<<He probably meant he wouldn't do anything wrong. And I don't think he did. If he made a mistake at all it was making a promise when he had no control over how the media would run with him doing such a simple thing.

We all heard of it because of the media, not because of any wrong doing by Manziel.

In so far as "He just cannot go out", can you not see that as something not of his own making? You go to a movie. While there you did nothing wrong, nothing anyone else wouldn't have done. But you can't go to a movie anymore, because you were there.>>

what he said!

Last edited by ThomasE; 11/24/15 04:10 PM.
Legend
Legend

I know what you're saying, but this is a cop-out. JM is responsible for his behavior, not the media. He knows it's in his best interest not to drink, but continues to do so. It's all his fault.

P.S. I still hope he can start the rest of the season. Him starting makes things interesting/exciting again.

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
It's just ridiculous, he didn't break any laws, he didn't cause a seen at a nightclub, he didn't drink and drive, get into a fight, all he did was go and hang out with some friends and party and everyone acts like he beat his girlfriend, murdered someone with a knife, got pulled over with drugs, raped a girl, oh wait if he would have done those things he would still be starting like others in the NFL... Media and fans need to just relax and let him worry about being a NFL QB for a change and see what he can do. If his personal life is impacting his playing ability then cut him or bench him but because of a video? Think about it guys... good lord.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K

What 22 year old doesn't have issues. Heck, I probably should have been in rehab at 22 - I drank A LOT every day my senior year of college.

I agree the the Browns can do what they want as he is an employee.

I'm not ready to throw the towel in until we see what we have. If he is good, none of this will matter and everyone will forget about it. If he stinks, we draft a QB and move on.

There are a lot of 22 year olds that don't have issues.

Look as his Employer, the Browns done way more for him then they had too..the Browns went well above and beyond making concessions to help this kid get his life back on track and to help him though his rehab and ensure a place would be there for him when he came back (they didn't have to do this either)

Its obvious Manziel simply doesn't care...this is the biggest Bendict Arnold stab in the back anyone could have done to Browns organization after what they had done for Manziel.

Manziel sucked last year because he couldn't stay away from the bottle, it directly effected his ability to do his job.

Not punishing or cutting Manziel sends the wrong message to this lockeroom, lets all the young up and comers know its OK to be an absolute arse as there will be no consequences, thats not an environment we want here, we will never win with this kinda environment.,

God Bellichik would have already cut Manziel over this BS...you think him. Parcells, any of those guys would put up with Manziel has done? no way.

This organization needs to grow a pair and tell Manziel to pack his locker and get out town...send a message to the team, to the rest of the NFL that the Browns are a class organization and acting like a arse and allowing substance abuse to effect your performance and behavior simply won;t be tolerated.

you do that, you earn respect...The Steelers wouldn't put up with this, the Patriots wouldn't put up with it, and neither should we...I don't care how good he can be...he is an addict who thinks he is above the rules everyone else is subject too, the kid is an arse, a cancer...he needs to go...

I was a big Manziel cheerleader, but this has just gone too far now...all Manziel cares about is himself and his bottle/partying.

The guy has quite frankly been a terrible Qb so far, and keeping a terrible Qb with a substance abuse problem on the roster is simply a bad idea all around.

cut him, let Dallas pick him up, then he will be there problem...it won;t be the first time old Jerry Jones brought in a guy who could have talent that flamed out hard...JM won't last a season in Dallas with his current issues...just cut him already...at this point there is nothing we can do...we have done all we can...its obvious Manziel won't commit to the changes this organization expects out of its players concerning character and behavior as a representative of this organization, its over...the best thing we can do is cut bait and move on...

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Here's what Browns coach Mike Pettine is saying today

Browns coach Mike Pettine met with reporters Tuesday after practice. Below is a transcript provided by the team.

On an update on Browns players who are still in the concussion protocol: “(DB Joe) Haden is and (WR Andrew) Hawkins, Gabe (WR Taylor Gabriel). I think (DB Donte) Whitner was already out [of the concussion protocol] last week so that’s it.”

On the Browns’ thoughts on the video of QB Johnny Manziel that surfaced from the bye week: “Seen it. Still in the process of gathering information. Think we’ll try to get all parties involved together this afternoon, and we’ll move forward from there.”

On if Manziel will start against Baltimore: “I’m not in a position yet to answer that.”

On if he has spoken to Manziel about the video: “Yeah, we talked about it last night.”

On what he means when he says he plans to get all the parties involved together: “The coaches and the player.”

On if he is considering not starting Manziel against Baltimore: “I’m not going to go into that. Like I said, we’re still in the process of getting all of the information available before we would act on anything.”

On how disappointing it was to see the video after his talk with Manziel before the bye: “Disappointing, very.”

On being surprised public incidents with Manziel still occur every once in a while: “I can’t stand here and say it’s not whatever word we want to use – disappointing, frustrating.”

On if he considers the Manziel video embarrassing to the organization, given conversations with Manziel prior to the bye: “We’ll have more information. Like I said, I want to sit down and discuss it before I knee-jerk and go off on a potential tangent with it. Probably be more prepared to speak fully on it tomorrow.”

On if he knows whether or not the video is clearly from the bye week: “I don’t. Like I said, we’re still trying to get all the information we can get together. Going to meet on it this afternoon.”

On if Manziel studied his playbook during the bye week: “I can’t answer that at this time. I know that quarterbacks were in yesterday. Guys are on surface tablets so a lot of work you can do – you get stuff downloaded to it – you can work on a plane, you can work on a beach. A lot of guys took their work with them so at this point, I don’t know how much was done.”

On if QB Josh McCown is healthy enough to start against Baltimore, if needed: “Yeah, Josh is cleared. Good to go.”

On how much of a factor it is that it isn’t desirable representation for the team: “In general, that’s the one thing that you do get frustrated about or the disappointment comes in is you have a vision of what you want the team to look like, how you want them to handle themselves when they’re out of the building. We talk a lot about it and not just in team meetings but make sure that get carried over into the position rooms. That gets carried over into offense, defense. That it’s not just pure football here, as well – it’s truly player development on and off the field. When things like this happen – not just him but just in general when you’re on any team and you have incidents like that a guy knows that he represents more than himself and has issues off the field – it is frustrating. We always say to whom much is given much is expected, and that’s true for all of our players.”

On if he has spoken to General Manager Ray Farmer or Owner Jimmy Haslam about the Manziel video: “I have.”

On if Farmer and Haslam are leaving any decisions fully in his hands: “It was just more initial discussing. Moving forward, they’ll certainly be looped in. That’ll occur later today.”

On if it is time to get Manziel professional help, even if the video is older than this past weekend: “I’m not prepared to answer that at this time. I don’t know enough details about the video and the timing. Like I said, I’ll have a lot more on this more than likely tomorrow.”

On Manziel seeming to be actively involved and aware of the video camera: “That’s all a part of the frustration, the disappointment. It’s a little easier to handle when it’s just a one-time occurrence, but then the behavior repeats, not just him but with anybody, it’s certainly a cause for concern.”

On if naming Manziel the starter right before the bye week adds to his frustration about the video: “No, the conversations that we had and I’m not going to go into details of it, like I said, it just adds to it. Like I said, we’re still gathering all of the information about it so I don’t want to continue or keep going down this path. Like I said, I’ll have a lot more on it tomorrow.”

On if Manziel expressed remorse when talking about the video: “I’m going to address it tomorrow. Enough.”

On OL Joel Bitonio’s status: “The bye was good for Joel. He got a lot of good treatment in. I would think by the end of the week that there is a chance that he would at least get himself to the point where he’d be questionable for the game.”

On DL Randy Starks’ status: “Still don’t know yet. The bye was good for him, and just all of those guys that were injured, the time is helpful. He’s certainly improved. Just whether there’s a big enough window between now and Monday to get him back, that remains to be seen.”

On if there’s anything that makes him optimistic about the rest of the Browns’ season: “There’s a lot. There’s a lot. I know we don’t have it in the win column. We’re doing a lot of good things on and off the field. It’s encouraging. Unfortunately, as I told the team today, we live in a bottom line, black and white, what have you done lately business, but there is a lot of build on. It’s a matter of staying together, believing in our structure. Getting better at what we do. That was the cry to everybody is that as individuals, improve the team improves. That we don’t feel that what we do structurally here from how we operate day-to-day to what we’re doing schematically to how we… When you lose, you question everything. I think you have to have the mindset of making sure being confident, what are we doing well that we can continue to do and where do we need to get better. That was a big part of our bye week assessment.”

On how different the Ravens are without QB Joe Flacco: “That’s a hard question to answer. When have they been without Flacco? I was there when he was a rookie, wasn’t even supposed to start. Was the three coming into the season, got thrust into it and has been on quite a run ever since. Yeah, that’ll be a strange deal. That’s tough for the kid. I know what a competitor he is having been around him, how much he loves football, how important it is to him. That’s crushing for him. Then just speaks to his toughness that he was able to finish the game with apparently a torn ACL and MCL.”

On the impact that Ravens RB Justin Forsett is also out due to injury: “Quietly one of the better backs in the league. Very underrated. Real good for what they do schematically. To lose both of those guys is a big blow, but this is the National Football League. They have a quarterback in (Ravens QB Matt) Schaub who’s going to step up, a rookie back who’s going to step up. I’m sure they’re going to come in here Monday night hungry and prepared and ready to go.”

On if the decision to play Manziel on Monday is a coaching decision or more: “That’s a game day roster, that’s a coaching decision.”

On why it is not an organization wide decision since Manziel also represents the organization: “The decision is being made and it would be echoed to the organization. There would be certainly some feedback there, but as far as the final decision, that’s a coaching decision.”

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-brow...-today-1.643026

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Several troubling aspects of this for me....

1. Why on earth would Johnny take those pics for social media when he knows the media is going to exploit them?? Just stupid.

2. Why is Pettine making any comment before he knows the facts at hand?? How dumb is it to go on a tirade via the media, but then admit that you don't know the facts yet?? This guy is either holding a personal grudge or is just incompetent....perhaps both.

3. I find troubling that so many want to jump on this kid for doing what almost every pro athlete does on their off time. He wasn't late to a meeting (came back a day early) nor was he arrested or anything of the like. If he lied to Pettine I get why Mike is mad....but then again why should Mike worry about what he is doing away from the field as long as he isn't getting arrested.

4. I also find it laughable that this organization is ready to cut/bench Manziel for having pictures with drinks in his hand, but Josh Gordon is still on the team...lo.. Oh yeah, I forgot Pet says Johnny's behavior is a distraction....a joke.

I really don't think Manziel will be a good QB, but if we bench him over this than that is utterly ridiculous. I am rarely ready to fire an entire staff when most of the other fans are, but these guys have me literally counting down the days.......personal grudges, egos, and incompetence at its finest.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
M
Legend
Legend
M
WKNR just reported that the Cleveland Browns will be making an official announcement in 10-15 mins. Uh oh.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown

What 22 year old doesn't have issues. Heck, I probably should have been in rehab at 22 - I drank A LOT every day my senior year of college.

I agree the the Browns can do what they want as he is an employee.

I'm not ready to throw the towel in until we see what we have. If he is good, none of this will matter and everyone will forget about it. If he stinks, we draft a QB and move on.

There are a lot of 22 year olds that don't have issues.

Look as his Employer, the Browns done way more for him then they had too..the Browns went well above and beyond making concessions to help this kid get his life back on track and to help him though his rehab and ensure a place would be there for him when he came back (they didn't have to do this either)

Its obvious Manziel simply doesn't care...this is the biggest Bendict Arnold stab in the back anyone could have done to Browns organization after what they had done for Manziel.

Manziel sucked last year because he couldn't stay away from the bottle, it directly effected his ability to do his job.

Not punishing or cutting Manziel sends the wrong message to this lockeroom, lets all the young up and comers know its OK to be an absolute arse as there will be no consequences, thats not an environment we want here, we will never win with this kinda environment.,

God Bellichik would have already cut Manziel over this BS...you think him. Parcells, any of those guys would put up with Manziel has done? no way.

This organization needs to grow a pair and tell Manziel to pack his locker and get out town...send a message to the team, to the rest of the NFL that the Browns are a class organization and acting like a arse and allowing substance abuse to effect your performance and behavior simply won;t be tolerated.

you do that, you earn respect...The Steelers wouldn't put up with this, the Patriots wouldn't put up with it, and neither should we...I don't care how good he can be...he is an addict who thinks he is above the rules everyone else is subject too, the kid is an arse, a cancer...he needs to go...

I was a big Manziel cheerleader, but this has just gone too far now...all Manziel cares about is himself and his bottle/partying.

The guy has quite frankly been a terrible Qb so far, and keeping a terrible Qb with a substance abuse problem on the roster is simply a bad idea all around.

cut him, let Dallas pick him up, then he will be there problem...it won;t be the first time old Jerry Jones brought in a guy who could have talent that flamed out hard...JM won't last a season in Dallas with his current issues...just cut him already...at this point there is nothing we can do...we have done all we can...its obvious Manziel won't commit to the changes this organization expects out of its players concerning character and behavior as a representative of this organization, its over...the best thing we can do is cut bait and move on...

What did he do wrong?!? NOTHING! I cannot believe people want to hang the kid over this. It was an off week. He even came back early. Browns fans have lost their minds.

Last year, Johnny was a distraction. This year he is not, people are making him one. I don't expect him to go live in a box and not go out, but some on here do.

And Benedict Arnold? Wow. This just gets better and better.

I personally don't think he is going to be a good NFL QB, but I would like to know and would love to be proven wrong. If he lights it up, all of this will fall by the wayside and no one will care.

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
WKNR just reported that the Cleveland Browns will be making an official announcement in 10-15 mins. Uh oh.

I hope it is that they fired the coaching staff for being idiots.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

If this WKNR thing is true, I doubt it is about the coaching staff.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

If this WKNR thing is true, I doubt it is about the coaching staff.

I'm sure it isn't.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I imagine we have cut him. The word in twitter was it was a very real possibility. If this is true it is mind boggling. It also puts to rest some of those fears that Pettine doesn't have a lot of influence in the organization. Of course, they could be giving him enough rope to hang himself as well.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
It should be simple:

Did he get arrested?
Did he receive a citation for anything?
Did he violate a team rule?
Did he violate the NFL substance abuse policy?
Did he violate any other NFL rule?

Seems the answers to these questions are "No" so he should play.

If he lied to Pettine, so what. Pettine said the Browns would be a good rushing team and would be stopping the run this year. Everybody lies.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Josh McCown takes over as Browns starting QB

Link

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle

2. Why is Pettine making any comment before he knows the facts at hand?? How dumb is it to go on a tirade via the media, but then admit that you don't know the facts yet?? This guy is either holding a personal grudge or is just incompetent....perhaps both.

Quote:
“Seen it. Still in the process of gathering information. Think we’ll try to get all parties involved together this afternoon, and we’ll move forward from there.”

“I’m not in a position yet to answer that.”

“I’m not going to go into that. Like I said, we’re still in the process of getting all of the information available before we would act on anything.”

“We’ll have more information. Like I said, I want to sit down and discuss it before I knee-jerk and go off on a potential tangent with it. Probably be more prepared to speak fully on it tomorrow.”

“I don’t. Like I said, we’re still trying to get all the information we can get together. Going to meet on it this afternoon.”

“No, the conversations that we had and I’m not going to go into details of it, like I said, it just adds to it. Like I said, we’re still gathering all of the information about it so I don’t want to continue or keep going down this path. Like I said, I’ll have a lot more on it tomorrow.”

“I’m going to address it tomorrow. Enough.”

Looks like to me he was making an effort not to talk about it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So we are officially looking at McCown for the rest of the year....yippee.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Josh McCown takes over as Browns starting QB

Link

Getting that popcorn ready.....

Tackles are tackles.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
McCown is the starter according to KNR. 3rd string now.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I just got an alert on the Browns app on my phone...

McCown gets the start.

Dang, you guys are fast!

Last edited by ddubia; 11/24/15 04:34 PM.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Manziel is demoted to 3rd string QB.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well, not cut, but may as well have. Moved to #3.

This move doesn't happen without Jimmy's approval, IMO. JH has even had enough.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Johnny Manziel will start for the rest of the season.

Link Copied to Clipboard