|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991 |
because i never denied that there's a handful of people that do bad things.
but what you're ignoring is the VAST majority who don't.
i see both sides. you only see your side.
see? you're dense. oh and i'll throw in close minded. Trust me, you only see your side. These people come from a radically different culture than what we have and have had in this country. They have proven to not assimilate, and those that do have been shunned, killed, and maimed by their own people. We'd be much better off establishing a safe zone within their own country. We can't even tell which of these people are Syrians, and which are opportunists from other countries trying to get a free ride on our system.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433 |
I'm quite sure there are successful Syrians who got away from Syria. Why paint them with such a large brush?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378 |
I figured a teacher:) I also have experienced quite a bit of 'culture' outside of the US.
So before I end up in a disagreement I don't have time for today..I'll just say when it comes to Syria you and I can agree to disagree.
Fair yes?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433 |
We can agree to disagree, but don't expect me to give up on challenging y'all on your views from time to time  You see things through your own life experience, and I respect that. I still think there's more innate good than evil in people.
Last edited by RocketOptimist; 11/25/15 11:40 AM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378 |
We have an agreement on that last line..see I'm not but so hard headed:)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481 |
Hey Swish, off topic but i'll take you up on your offer..I leave soon to visit my son at Schofield Barracks..when I get settled in and get the hello's out of the way I'll give you the information we discussed.
And by the way thanks for helping make a decision:) all day bro. all day.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481 |
because i never denied that there's a handful of people that do bad things.
but what you're ignoring is the VAST majority who don't.
i see both sides. you only see your side.
see? you're dense. oh and i'll throw in close minded. Trust me, you only see your side. These people come from a radically different culture than what we have and have had in this country. They have proven to not assimilate, and those that do have been shunned, killed, and maimed by their own people. We'd be much better off establishing a safe zone within their own country. We can't even tell which of these people are Syrians, and which are opportunists from other countries trying to get a free ride on our system. the vast majority? how many muslims do we have in this country right now. how many are immigrants? and how many have committed crimes against america compared with the number that haven't? i'm still waiting.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991 |
I'm quite sure there are successful Syrians who got away from Syria. Why paint them with such a large brush? Yes there are. They're mostly Christian Syrians in PA who fled earlier problems in that country, back in the 80s I believe. They actually support assad, and would like to see isis gone and the muslimization of their country stopped. We've been taking Syrian refugees since the early 1900s. In 1971 when Hafez Al-Assad took power, the Christian population of Syria was around 20%. Today it's around 6%, and probably lower due to the more recent genocide. A lot of them came here. They have proven easier to assimilate. I've seen posters on here comment on how easily some of these people turn to jihad, and some posters have mentioned their own family turning to jihad. Why would anyone want to import people of this mind frame? The jews that were mentioned by swish earlier were sent back as they were considered communists and subversives.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481 |
so being accused of being a commie = death sentence?
and you're ok with that?
might want to look in the mirror next time you call anybody a radical.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433 |
They turn easily due to awful conditions in Syria. Bringing them here could turn them away from such an awful lifestyle.
Many turn to jihad and radicalism due to the abhorrent conditions in certain places of the world. It gives them something to fight for.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991 |
so being accused of being a commie = death sentence?
and you're ok with that?
might want to look in the mirror next time you call anybody a radical. Never said I was ok with it, but that's the history that happened well before I was born. You might want to take a good look in the mirror yourself. I never once mentioned if that was right or wrong.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481 |
so being accused of being a commie = death sentence?
and you're ok with that?
might want to look in the mirror next time you call anybody a radical. Never said I was ok with it, but that's the history that happened well before I was born. You might want to take a good look in the mirror yourself. I never once mentioned if that was right or wrong. you keep lumping everybody together. something you keep crying about me doing.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991 |
They turn easily due to awful conditions in Syria. Bringing them here could turn them away from such an awful lifestyle.
Many turn to jihad and radicalism due to the abhorrent conditions in certain places of the world. It gives them something to fight for. And some don't. Some have been given everything and still turn to a life of jihad, even after fully immersing themselves in our so called decadent ways. What ratio of refugees to terrorists are you guys ok with. 5-1, 10-1, 100-1? Please spell that out for the rest of us. I'd like to know just how many you think are ok.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399 |
We can agree to disagree, but don't expect me to give up on challenging y'all on your views from time to time  You see things through your own life experience, and I respect that. I still think there's more innate good than evil in people. Me too.. but I still lock my doors at night.
yebat' Putin
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378 |
[quote=RocketOptimist]They turn easily due to awful conditions in Syria. Bringing them here could turn them away from such an awful lifestyle.
Many turn to jihad and radicalism due to the abhorrent conditions in certain places of the world. It gives them something to fight for. And some don't. Some have been given everything and still turn to a life of jihad, even after fully immersing themselves in our so called decadent ways. What ratio of refugees to terrorists are you guys ok with. 5-1, 10-1, 100-1? Please spell that out for the rest of us. I'd like to know just how many you think are ok. [/quot There in lye's the rub with me..I think its funny when people see the background of nut that blows people up kills them..and can't believe he wasn't from dire poverty.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991 |
They turn easily due to awful conditions in Syria. Bringing them here could turn them away from such an awful lifestyle.
Many turn to jihad and radicalism due to the abhorrent conditions in certain places of the world. It gives them something to fight for. And some don't. Some have been given everything and still turn to a life of jihad, even after fully immersing themselves in our so called decadent ways. What ratio of refugees to terrorists are you guys ok with. 5-1, 10-1, 100-1? Please spell that out for the rest of us. I'd like to know just how many you think are ok. There in lye's the rub with me..I think its funny when people see the background of nut that blows people up kills them..and can't believe he wasn't from dire poverty. I tried to fix your post, as you had a messed up quote tag. In an earlier post, I had a video of 'jihadi street', which was a montage of muslim TV for kids. Some of them teach their kids from a young age that they should kill jews, Americans, and anyone that opposes their religion. The mindset amongst many of them is the problem. Christians might have had their problems with killing those of different religions in the past, but they have 'grown up' a lot since then. These people have not. We should be very, very cautious on who we let into this country from those areas controlled by this mindset.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368 |
Eternal optimist Isn't viewed as a jab at all. You're fine. Life experience teaches me a ton, and influences who I am.
I've had many great interactions through my different jobs. Found common ground with colleagues and guests from all over the globe during my ten months at Disney World, spent a good year and a half serving the inner-city population of Toledo, Ohio as a student teacher where we discussed Language Arts through a critical lens on racial relations, and now living in Alaska being a minority in my own place of home and work.
I've been blessed to experience many different cultures, and it shows me all people are good at heart. Not all Syrians hate America or western ideas. They just need to escape an echo chamber. Oh, Rocket. I smiled through that post. I don't mean to make light of your experiences because I know they have meant a lot to you. However, 10 months at Disney World, a little over a year in Toledo, and some time in Alaska do not make you as experienced in human affairs as you seem to believe. I have been traveling the country for a long time. I have been in the minority in many settings and met people from many different places on this planet. Given all the experiences I have had, I don't see myself as being as worldly as you seem to believe you are in your limited time doing what you have done. I work with a number of people from the Middle East. We work well together, we go out to lunch, we go out to dinner, we laugh about a lot of the same things. We agree about more things than we disagree. I want them to be here. They want to be here. They like it here and want to stay. They want to contribute and be a part of this society. I have been saddened and angered over the years by many, many horrible events around the world where people are suffering at the hands of their own governments, civil war, or neighboring nations, by slaughter, starvation, or all other means of abuse. There have been millions. It's unthinkable how much suffering has been endured. I'm not against taking in refugees. But, we have ignored or been unable to help many people through our history. We cannot save the world. We first have to understand that fact. Everyone picks and chooses, because we cannot possibly take in every person who is in harms way around this world, and there are far more than just the people in Syria right now who are dying in deplorable conditions. They have become the political and media highlight for the time being, there are so many others. I'm not afraid to take them in, but I understand why people have reservations. Making fun of and calling those people names like they are ignorant buffoons is myopic. There is an elephant in the room and he is large. I'm sorry for the suffering in this world, the enormity of it weighs heavily on people and we all react in different ways. This country is not capable of saving the world. It cannot, and should not, pretend it can. That is the surest way to our demise. We just need to help as much as we can, but still be prudent in that process.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284 |
I agree Jules. I've done missionary and volunteer work in the past (I'm hoping to travel to South Africa next summer). I witnessed first hand some of the hardships people went through. However, I'm not gonna pretend that I understand all of their problems. I'm just gonna do what I can and move on. This problem is kind of like the middle class problem. How much is enough?
There were probably instances where I could have helped more people in the regions I visited, but I also realized I had to think about my own health and security at the same time. I knew I wasn't going to fix these peoples real problems, but I did what I could.
I think people have good intentions, but they will sometimes conflict with what others want.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186 |
j/c
Man, I'm glad I started this thread.
Please continue, ladies & gentlemen....
"too many notes, not enough music-"
#GMStong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823 |
Obama administration tells states they can't refuse Syrian refugees The Obama administration warned states over the Syrian refugee crisis Wednesday, telling them in a letter they do not have legal authority to refuse the refugees, and states that do not comply may be subject to enforcement action. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/11/...ml?intcmp=hpbt2All hail the Emperor who cares nothing for what the people he represents want.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481 |
do they have legal authority or not?
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378 |
Obama administration tells states they can't refuse Syrian refugees The Obama administration warned states over the Syrian refugee crisis Wednesday, telling them in a letter they do not have legal authority to refuse the refugees, and states that do not comply may be subject to enforcement action. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/11/...ml?intcmp=hpbt2All hail the Emperor who cares nothing for what the people he represents want. I don't like this..State rights are important..and WTF does states that don't comply are subject to enforcement action??? Does this mean he will bring out the Brown shirts?? to force the states?? cut off funding for the already crappy roads?? Bring it obama..TIME TO POP THE P-MAGS??? My god this president is insane. I hope the states that refused stick together and tell him to stick it..This isnt about refugees to me..This is about state rights and being bullied by the federal government. And what is the NEXT thing they'll want to use enforcement action on?? my eyeballs are popped out of my head after reading that. I better reread this to see wtf I'm missing here. Maybe i'm over reacting but after reading the book I read on my flight that i referenced in another thread..the parallel on fascism and Nazis and comparing it to the language our LEADERS are using is not just scary it almost sounds [url=criminal:///][url=criminal:///][url=criminal:///]criminal:///[/url][/url][/url]
Last edited by FBHO71; 11/26/15 09:59 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,175
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,175 |
Realistically if Obama gives refugees a legal work visa there is nothing states can do anyways. This is something that has to be stopped at the federal level because once a person is here there is nothing a state can do about it.
You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378 |
[quote=Razorthorns]Realistically if Obama gives refugees a legal work visa there is nothing states can do anyways. This is something that has to be stopped at the federal level because once a person is here there is nothing a state can do about it. [/quote
I don't think youre completely right about that..Give them a legal work visa?? how long will it take for the obama to be able to give them a work visa?? before they ever get here??
If I was governor of a state he forced them on..They would get booted so fast there wouldnt be time for a freaking work visa..
Plus i think your trying to twist this to fit your view point. You really think if a bulk of the states stick together to fight it a freaking work visa is going to stop the states??
And agin so no one is confused this is NOT about freaking refugees for me..This is about the federal government thiking they can bully the states onto doing what they see fit.
Last edited by FBHO71; 11/26/15 10:59 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378 |
can someone please tell me what that man meant by 'enforcement action'??? ANYONE??
I'll have to check back on this later to see what type of answers I get.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015 |
We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378 |
Ive seen the gumball thing done before in a seminar i attended about finances...umm yeah I wasnt impressed sorry..In 3rd grade science yes..the seminar I attended at a much older age not so much:/
but this video does prove a point. And I think people will comment without watching it through..I get why he used the gumball thing instead of just using numbers in his arguement..people may get lost on the numbers but the VISUAL of the gumballs will register better with some folks.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823 |
Here's some gumballs we can count... FBI using elite surveillance teams to track at least 48 high-risk ISIS suspects With as many as 1,000 active cases, Fox News has learned at least 48 ISIS suspects are considered so high risk that the FBI is using its elite tracking squads known as the mobile surveillance teams or MST to track them domestically. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/11/...ml?intcmp=hpbt3
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284 |
That's why I don't understand ISIS would openly admit where they're going to target. They're gonna be watched and monitored like crazy here. We're the most paranoid and heavily monitored country in the world that has the technology to actually do something about it.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481 |
That's why I don't understand ISIS would openly admit where they're going to target. They're gonna be watched and monitored like crazy here. We're the most paranoid and heavily monitored country in the world that has the technology to actually do something about it. because it incites fear within the community. They scared the crap out of everybody without lifting a finger.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,145
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,145 |
I've heard it said that because the video was in Arabic it was more of a recruitment video.
WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM my two cents...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284 |
That's why I don't understand ISIS would openly admit where they're going to target. They're gonna be watched and monitored like crazy here. We're the most paranoid and heavily monitored country in the world that has the technology to actually do something about it. because it incites fear within the community. They scared the crap out of everybody without lifting a finger. I understand that aspect. However, if I wanted to terrorize normal citizens I wouldn't be targeting major heavily protected cities, I'd be targeting public transportation and places that everyday citizens use. Not just big city areas. Sure you'd harm more people, but making people more terrified to just ride a public bus would scare half the country. I guess it's obviously stupid trying to understand their rationale.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 52,481 |
i feel you. understand, they don't care who they fear, they just care that somebody is scared. whether it's middle of nowhere kansas, or downtown atlanta georgia. if the threat level rises, they succeeded in their goal.
it's just a power play.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
- Theodore Roosevelt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823 |
That's why I don't understand ISIS would openly admit where they're going to target. They're gonna be watched and monitored like crazy here. We're the most paranoid and heavily monitored country in the world that has the technology to actually do something about it. because it incites fear within the community. They scared the crap out of everybody without lifting a finger. I understand that aspect. However, if I wanted to terrorize normal citizens I wouldn't be targeting major heavily protected cities, I'd be targeting public transportation and places that everyday citizens use. Not just big city areas. Sure you'd harm more people, but making people more terrified to just ride a public bus would scare half the country. I guess it's obviously stupid trying to understand their rationale. The fear you see in America today is not so much of an ISIS attack as it is the fear our government lacks the will to handle things before they get that far. -We see the Western governments importing Muslims at an astonishing rate. -We see that the ISIS economy has yet to be crushed. -We see ISIS oil fields not being hit until the French did it. -We hear our President reminding us that Christians had a nasty past so we should not get on our High Horse about Muslim extremism today. -We see our President forcing refugees on us that we would like to take a better look at. -We see our President reduced to #3 in Forbes Most Powerful People List... Putin Merkel Obama https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes_list_of_The_World%27s_Most_Powerful_People People I know don't fear ISIS as much as they fear our government, we just don't trust they have our best interests in mind. Therein lies the terror.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186 |
This is exactly why I made that post last week about not giving in to fear. I'm gonna do what I do, and NEVER allow them to intimidate me away from the things that give meaning to my life. I'm not gonna get offstage, I'm gonna go to public places.
And if I'm ever a victim of a terror strike, so be it. At least I'll go out doing what I wanted to do.
Bomb, old age, hit by a bus.... some day I WILL die. Until then, I'm going to live it 100%.
just my .02
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823 |
And in that spirit I took in a Warriors game on Tuesday night and a Capitols match on Wed. Night. Rode the Metro in, walked the streets, rode the Metro out.
Cops everywhere!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186 |
And in that spirit I took in a Warriors game on Tuesday night and a Capitols match on Wed. Night. Rode the Metro in, walked the streets, rode the Metro out.
Cops everywhere! NO. FEAR.
"too many notes, not enough music-"
#GMStong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823 |
Something I found interesting... Basketball game, I rode and walked with wall to wall Black people. Hockey match, wall to wall White people. Different strokes fer different folks. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186 |
Prob have to turn in my NAACP card... I love hockey, kinda "meh" about hoops.
Went to BGSU in the 70's... when they were a perennial national powerhouse. You HAVE to be a fan.
Ever since I was a li'l kid, I've always gone my own way.
"too many notes, not enough music-"
#GMStong
|
|
|
DawgTalkers.net
Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Syrian Refugee Info
|
|