Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/colorado-juries-letting-people-driving-weed-prosecutors-furious/

One reason I thought MJ would never be legalized in my life time was for this very reason..Don't smoke it but I am pro-legalization.

This wasnt meant for just Swish anyone have opinion on this topic?

Last edited by Referee 3; 11/27/15 07:51 AM.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'd like to see some more science behind how marijuana can/can not impact driving ability.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I thought they addressed that in the article..did I misread?? or are you saying even more studying?

Legend
Legend
i love weed as much as the next stoner, but if somebody is caught high while driving, they need the same punishments as somebody drinking and driving. straight up.

i have driven while high once, and never again. my reaction time was slow. i was so paranoid that i would slow down for the stop sight damn way further than normal, which could've caused a rear end. also, yes, driving way under the speed limit isn't a good thing compared with the normal flow of traffic. the only thing i was surprised at was that i could stay in a straight line better than i was sober. odd.

thats why if i need to go somewhere and i'm baked, my wife drives or i call up my homie.

or i just walk. walking while stoned is fun, and atleast i can get a work out before smashing 4 bacon mcdoubles and a large lemonade.

nah, driving while high is bad. bad bad bad.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Seems that if you're going to make a law then you need test results to back it up. So run the stupid tests. I am sure they can find enough pot heads willing to participate for free pot.

Of course they could always just prosecute them for drug possession under federal law and bypass Colorado's state law altogether...easy way to bypass local laws since federal laws always trump state laws.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Calm Down Kim Jung.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
thats the problem there is no reliable way to test it..and the standard they are using to pop people is not scientifically sound..hence the jury are throwing out the cases.

I know fed trumps on this but its obvious the feds aren't stepping in on drivers getting caught driving high.

If they have the pot on them maybe if its a couple hundred pounds crossing state borders..but what if they dont and the policeman is just going off of arbitrary evidence??

Last edited by FBHO71; 11/26/15 10:42 PM.
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
hahaha that is funny..

Legend
Legend
i find it funny how people on this board cry about state rights, then out of no where cry about the federal government not stepping in.

- Theodore Roosevelt
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
am a staunch believer in states rights>>wtf else keeps the federal government in check??://

Legend
Legend
i believe in states rights too, but i believe the federal government needs to make civil rights decisions.

weed is a states rights issue. obama has this right by allowing the states to decide this issue. as much as i WISH the federal government would lift the ban, i also understand reality, and the majority of states needs to change before the federal government does. i get it, ya know?

however, when it comes to civil rights, a lot of states (read: mainly Alabama) will not change unless the feds come in to finally make them get their act together.

- Theodore Roosevelt
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Civil rights I can agree on..but I don't consider pot a civil rights ordeal..I think we agree but our verbage is a little different??

Sorry man I'm tired and may not be reading things correctly..so its not you its probably me..my brain hurts today:)

Legend
Legend
yea i was saying weed isn't a civil rights issue, its a states rights one.

- Theodore Roosevelt
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Gotchya..we agree:)

Legend
Legend
When they can legally start testing your blood for

prescription drugs for anxiety
some antidepressants
products containing codeine
some cold remedies and allergy products
tranquilizers
sleeping pills
pain relievers
diet pills, "stay awake" drugs, and other medications with stimulants (e.g. caffeine, ephedrine, pseudoephedrine)

Products that contain stimulants may cause excitability or drowsiness. Also, never combine medication and alcohol while driving.

Those drugs could also cause

While most medications don't affect driving ability, some prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medicines can cause reactions that may make it unsafe to drive.

These reactions may include

sleepiness/drowsiness
blurred vision
dizziness
slowed movement
fainting
inability to focus or pay attention
nausea
excitability

Yet the cops never ask folks if they are taking, opioids, cold medicine, zanex, eye drops, blood pressure medication, insulin, medicines for diabetes, Medicines for hay fever and allergy can affect your ability to react, so it's important that you pay attention to how you feel. Hay fever in itself can cause sleepiness and thus impairs your ability to react. Dry cough medicines, Medicines for depression or other psychiatric disorders.

When the cops can stop you and take your blood, or give you the third degree about all of those,then they can do the same with pot. Otherwise they are just discriminating against people who use pot, when the pot is legal.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Actually they can test your blood for alot of what you listed..especially prescription drugs if they think u are under the influence of 'something'..

And a lot of people either admit to what they are using or don't know their rights on how to deal with the police in this situation.

Youll never win an argument on the road with the ploice just save you breath and save it for court.

But I agree with your last sentence in your post:)

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't believe people have a problem with convicting someone who is actually "high". The problem lies with the method of the testing. Marijuana can stay in the system for up to 30 days. Thus you can get a positive test often times when the driver isn't high. Thus the result of the test has zero correlation with the driver actually being high.

With employment drug screens people have figured this out. Once an accurate test has been implemented to identify if the driver is actually high, I believe this problem will no longer exist.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I don't believe people have a problem with convicting someone who is actually "high". The problem lies with the method of the testing. Marijuana can stay in the system for up to 30 days. Thus you can get a positive test often times when the driver isn't high. Thus the result of the test has zero correlation with the driver actually being high.

With employment drug screens people have figured this out. Once an accurate test has been implemented to identify if the driver is actually high, I believe this problem will no longer exist.

Pretty much agreed.

In one of the threads I asked something along the lines of "Since pot can stay in your system so long in comparison to alcohol, how will they test for a level of "impairment.""

On another subject, if pulled over for something and the officer asks if you've been drinking, he/she already suspects you of it for the most part. The roadside tests they do serve 2 purposes: 1, an attempt to get you on camera "failing" a test, or multiple tests, because that video helps them and only hurts you in court. (let's face it, all a cop needs to do is say "I smelled alcohol on the subject" and that will get credence in court, minus any proof the citizen can provide) And 2: It occupies at least 15-20 minutes of time, to allow/compensate getting a true breath alcohol rating.

In other words, well, take Scope, for example. Cop pulls you over, you use mouthwash...if he were to test you immediately, you'd probably blow over the legal limit. Same if you had an open container and had just 1 sip of beer, bam, get pulled over, and breathalyzed immediately - you'd very possibly blow over the legal limit.

And as for "legal limit", that's somewhat of a misnomer, as being below .08 BAC is not a fool proof guarantee you still won't get charged with a dui.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Actually, they do ask about those things. But typically once it becomes alcohol is the primary factor, all that other stuff becomes less relevant OR let's say someone blows a .04 on the roadside but are all messed up. Then you start looking to see if there are other factors like medication, etc that have compounded the problem.

As to a general reply to some other comments:

-Regarding Fed law...

1) I'm not sure they have the equivalent of a simple possession law.

2) Municipal cops and county deputies don't have the authority to enforce or charge Federal Statutes.

-Regarding testing... this is a big challenge. The standard Field Sobriety Tests are centered around alcohol. They also point to a general lack of sobriety, but the stats show a significantly high likelihood that the clues a person exhibits are under the influence of alcohol. Intoxication due to drug use is more difficult to determine, at least in terms of prosecution. I can interact with a person and tell you if they are high on weed, tweakin on meth, strung out heroin, or cracked out.. and based on my experiences I can testify to those observations but only to the extent of deciphering their behavior. Now there is training to become a Drug Recognition Expert where you have the science and data to back up what you are seeing and can determine what types of drugs they are under the influence of, but that training is difficult and pretty rare.

The other thing to consider is the invasiveness of the testing. DWI laws are generally considered Implied Consent Offenses. Basically implied consent is an agreement you make with the State to be a licensed driver to not drive intoxicated. If an officer develops a reason to believe you may be in such a state, according to implied consent you've agreed to submit to any tests he asks you to take. You certainly can refuse, and in rare instances it might save you from prosecution, but typically if you refuse to take the tests, the DMV suspends your license for a year. It doesn't matter if you beat the charge in criminal court because the suspension is due to your breach of a civil agreement.

As I mentioned earlier, most testing is geared towards detection of alcohol. Its the only thing a breathalyzer will detect. Technically as the investigating officer, if my investigation leads me far enough to the point of having you blow in to the big machine, I actually have the option to perform a blood draw. For practical purposes we only do blood draws when a) people refuse to blow (then we get the search warrant), and b) if we suspect there are other factors such as drug use at play.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Thanks for the info officer devildawg..God some people are really uninformed..not you GM..just saying in general.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Actually, they do ask about those things. But typically once it becomes alcohol is the primary factor, all that other stuff becomes less relevant OR let's say someone blows a .04 on the roadside but are all messed up. Then you start looking to see if there are other factors like medication, etc that have compounded the problem.

As to a general reply to some other comments:

-Regarding Fed law...

1) I'm not sure they have the equivalent of a simple possession law.

2) Municipal cops and county deputies don't have the authority to enforce or charge Federal Statutes.

-Regarding testing... this is a big challenge. The standard Field Sobriety Tests are centered around alcohol. They also point to a general lack of sobriety, but the stats show a significantly high likelihood that the clues a person exhibits are under the influence of alcohol. Intoxication due to drug use is more difficult to determine, at least in terms of prosecution. I can interact with a person and tell you if they are high on weed, tweakin on meth, strung out heroin, or cracked out.. and based on my experiences I can testify to those observations but only to the extent of deciphering their behavior. Now there is training to become a Drug Recognition Expert where you have the science and data to back up what you are seeing and can determine what types of drugs they are under the influence of, but that training is difficult and pretty rare.

The other thing to consider is the invasiveness of the testing. DWI laws are generally considered Implied Consent Offenses. Basically implied consent is an agreement you make with the State to be a licensed driver to not drive intoxicated. If an officer develops a reason to believe you may be in such a state, according to implied consent you've agreed to submit to any tests he asks you to take. You certainly can refuse, and in rare instances it might save you from prosecution, but typically if you refuse to take the tests, the DMV suspends your license for a year. It doesn't matter if you beat the charge in criminal court because the suspension is due to your breach of a civil agreement.

As I mentioned earlier, most testing is geared towards detection of alcohol. Its the only thing a breathalyzer will detect. Technically as the investigating officer, if my investigation leads me far enough to the point of having you blow in to the big machine, I actually have the option to perform a blood draw. For practical purposes we only do blood draws when a) people refuse to blow (then we get the search warrant), and b) if we suspect there are other factors such as drug use at play.

Not sure if this applies, but Oregon has the Drivng under influence of Intoxicants...implied consent here means that you have already given consent to be tested if asked and if you refuse a blood test, you are saying you are guilty..

From the bar, it is worded as this:

Quote:
The prosecutor does not need to prove that you were drunk or intoxicated in order to prove the offense of driving under the influence of intoxicants. Instead, you are guilty of the charge if you are merely affected to a noticeable degree by the intoxicant you have consumed if the intoxicant is alcohol, a controlled substance, inhalant or any combination of those intoxicants. The test is whether you lack the clearness of mind and physical control that you normally possess because of the intoxicant you have consumed.

If you are in such a physical condition through the use of medication, drugs or even fatigue, so that you become affected by a lesser amount of intoxicant than would normally affect you, you are still guilty of the charge of driving under the influence of intoxicants if your mental or physical faculties are affected to a noticeable degree.

I think the .08 limit is not a hard cap - meaning you can be changed with a DUI even if you blow under it...

Like in California -I think -
Quote:
23152(a) does not require an alcohol concentration, only that your ability to drive was impaired

I read an interesting stat that the US comprises something like 5% of the worlds population and consumes ~80% of Opiates and like 99% of Vicodin...I think most of those say "do not drive"...

If you go by numbers, over 1/2 the folks don't have insurance and something like 65%+ have some type of intoxicant in their systems..

Guess self-driving cars may be needed in a few decades frown

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Yep to everything you wrote.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Swish
Calm Down Kim Jung.

WTH you even talking about. Keeps insults to yourself.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: FBHO71
thats the problem there is no reliable way to test it..and the standard they are using to pop people is not scientifically sound..hence the jury are throwing out the cases.

I know fed trumps on this but its obvious the feds aren't stepping in on drivers getting caught driving high.

If they have the pot on them maybe if its a couple hundred pounds crossing state borders..but what if they dont and the policeman is just going off of arbitrary evidence??

There is an easy way to set a standard. You grab 100 people and have them drive 2 laps on a driving course while gradually increase the pot they have smoked and testing the blood for thier levels of THC concentration.

Eventually you will find a common range that shows when those levels create an impairment. I am certain they could rig a diabetes tester to check blood level for THC fairly easily.

I am a huge supporter of state rights however state right as defined by our constitution is only those things that federal law does not regulate. Since there are federal drug laws they will always trump state ones.

Legend
Legend
This time of year is the easiest for the police to find pot smoking drivers. All they have to do is hang in neighborhoods where there are lots of christmas lights and watch for the really really slow drivers hanging out their windows saying, "wow man, check this one out".

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Here in NC

§ 20-138.1. Impaired driving.

(a) Offense. - A person commits the offense of impaired driving if he drives any vehicle upon any highway, any street, or any public vehicular area within this State:

(1) While under the influence of an impairing substance; or

This is the element that addresses under the .08 BAC. These types of cases are tried under the concept of Appreciable Impairment. Let's say I have a person who blows a .06 BAC (and there is no indication of drug use, etc). I can still get a conviction IF I can show that even at a .06, the person was weaving all over the road, was stumbling, slurring, etc.

(2) After having consumed sufficient alcohol that he has, at any relevant time after the driving, an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more. The results of a chemical analysis shall be deemed sufficient evidence to prove a person's alcohol concentration; or

So here .08 IS a set number. When these types of cases are challenged, they are usually attempting to challenge the initial stop, and if the officer was able to make sufficient observations to suspect there is impairment. Interestingly enough, a person's confession that they are driving drunk alone isn't enough for a conviction!

(3) With any amount of a Schedule I controlled substance, as listed in G.S. 90-89, or its metabolites in his blood or urine.

Schedule I here are drugs that have no medicinal use such as exstacy and I think LSD is in there too?

I would also like to add that our state statute specifically mentions that what constitutes a "vehicle" does not include a horse.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

Legend
Legend
so i can get high and ride a horse?

guess where i'm moving to...

- Theodore Roosevelt
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Drugs are tricky because most of them do have legitimate medical uses.

Hallucinogens are being used in treating PTSD, mental ailments and drug rehab.

Cocaine can be used for anesthesia and a few other things.

Meth can be prescribed for weight loss.

Heroin can be used for pain treatment.

Weed has a variety of pain management, tumor effecting, and psychological effects.

Ketamine is an instant treatment for severe depression and is an anesthetic.

The second line in schedule 1 drug use needs to be taken away.

2. The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.

The other two make a good bit of sense:

1. The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.

3. There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns

There is an easy way to set a standard. You grab 100 people and have them drive 2 laps on a driving course while gradually increase the pot they have smoked and testing the blood for thier levels of THC concentration.

Eventually you will find a common range that shows when those levels create an impairment. I am certain they could rig a diabetes tester to check blood level for THC fairly easily.

I am a huge supporter of state rights however state right as defined by our constitution is only those things that federal law does not regulate. Since there are federal drug laws they will always trump state ones.

Well they havent been able to figure out how to get a reliable way of determining if/how high someone is while driving..which is why the juries are not ruling in the prosecutors favor. hell the amount the prosecutor in the case cited couldnt even get the jury to convict..

/But you lets just go get some of them stoners to drive around in a circle and figure it out..WHAT?? We have some pretty smart people on this planet and I'm sure they will figure out a way to measure it so juries will convict..and it will probably get here when it becomes more widespread/legal in this country.

And damn man I thought we already hashed out state rights verses the federal law..I KNOWWWW fed law trumps state law in this instance but the freaking feds are not stepping in over a damn case of someone DRIVING high..get it??

What in the heck am I missing here with you??

Or are we arguing for the sake of arguing???

I'm very versed in state law/constitutional rights..I'm involved in gun rights stuff that is trying to defend our rights...so I educated myself in state rights and federal law from people who are a lot smarter then I am.

Ok unless youve got something other then fed law trumps state rights blah blah blah..I guess we have no more to discuss on this issue.

kapesh?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns

Well they havent been able to figure out how to get a reliable way of determining if/how high someone is while driving..which is why the juries are not ruling in the prosecutors favor. hell the amount the prosecutor in the case cited couldnt even get the jury to convict..

/But you lets just go get some of them stoners to drive around in a circle and figure it out..WHAT?? We have some pretty smart people on this planet and I'm sure they will figure out a way to measure it so juries will convict..and it will probably get here when it becomes more widespread/legal in this country.

And damn man I thought we already hashed out state rights verses the federal law..I KNOWWWW fed law trumps state law in this instance but the freaking feds are not stepping in over a damn case of someone DRIVING high..get it??

What in the heck am I missing here with you??

Or are we arguing for the sake of arguing???

I'm very versed in state law/constitutional rights..I'm involved in gun rights stuff that is trying to defend our rights...so I educated myself in state rights and federal law from people who are a lot smarter then I am.

Ok unless youve got something other then fed law trumps state rights blah blah blah..I guess we have no more to discuss on this issue.

kapesh?

NOthing more really needs to be stated IMHO. It's up to the fed to enforce federal laws. States are supposed to as well but as we know some do and some don't.

I have only stated that if they are going to charge for a DUI then they need to set a standard to go by and be able to prove why its the standard.

It is also true that a DEA or FBI agent could go to Colorado and arrest and imprison any pot user under federal law. They just don't because Obama chooses not to enforce the federal law as he chooses in many cases to ignore many laws... To be fair I don't think trump or hillary would either in this case.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
ok Razor good enough:)

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Weed here is considered a Sched VI (out of 6) here. That's why I'm surprised that the Fed's classify it as Sched I. But then we both know how the Fed's like to do their own thing regardless of the Constitution thumbsdown

-Jack Burton

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Weed here is considered a Sched VI (out of 6) here. That's why I'm surprised that the Fed's classify it as Sched I. But then we both know how the Fed's like to do their own thing regardless of the Constitution thumbsdown

Which was my point to Razor..The feds have selective choosing problems://

Youre a policeman..and you know damn well the feds dont give a hill of beans about someone getting popped for driving high..driving over state lines with 500lbs of it..yep but damn they arent going to do anything about the case cited in this thread topic.

The only thing he said I agree with is barry gave the order to back off of the mj issue..and maybe another pres wont..then we have some common ground.

Last edited by FBHO71; 11/29/15 09:42 AM.
Legend
Legend
'Skunk' marijuana may hinder brain's ability to send and receive messages

Smoking especially strong pot — or skunk — may damage nerve fibers responsible for sending and receiving messages in the brain.
A study published Friday from researchers in Italy and the U.K. found a bigger effect on the corpus callosum in people who smoked high-potency cannabis than people who smoked marijuana with lower levels of THC or those didn't smoke at all.

The corpus callosum is that thick band of nerves in the center that connects the left half of the brain with the right.
These are the same researchers that earlier this year said the easy access to skunk in London could be behind a rise in psychosis reports linked to cannabis. They say this study shows there's possibly less transfer of information between the two halves of the brain.
http://www.aol.com/article/2015/11/28/sk...p;intcmp=hplnws

Legend
Legend
Uhh yea, while high.

When I'm not high, everything works just fine. Still can't believe I got A's in all my classes right now.

Must be that dank.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Uhh yea, while high.

When I'm not high, everything works just fine. Still can't believe I got A's in all my classes right now.

Must be that dank.

Uhh No, not just while high. "may damage nerve fibers responsible for sending and receiving messages in the brain."

They don't heal that fast!

Uhh read..."a rise in psychosis reports linked to cannabis."

Uhh Wow.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 11/29/15 03:17 PM.
Legend
Legend
Key word "may".

Meaning it's not concrete, not conclusive.

- Theodore Roosevelt
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Key word "may".

Meaning it's not concrete, not conclusive.

Yeah the whole video was may..could..ect

pure conjecture on their part.

Legalizing is gaining steam..uh-oh lets start pushing the propaganda articles to sway people.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
pfft I have been around and grown up around to know what pot does to people long term. We call them pot heads for a reason. It becomes VERY obvious who they are eventually. A weekend toker prob not so much but regular toker lol anyone can tell who they are.

Legend
Legend
This is your brain.

This is your brain on drugs.

I saw that commercial and thought, "yeah, this is your brain, sunny side up", sounded kind of pleasant.

#GMSTRONG
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Colorado and Marijuana Driving Laws

Link Copied to Clipboard