Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Okay he lied to the team,I get it. Punish him for the next game.

I find it completely stupid to bench the kid for the rest of the season. IMO it is a detriment to the team. He needs to play to see if he will succeed. Sitting him, and placing him at third on the depth chart does nothing to help the evaluation process. All this does is muddle up the draft process for next year. And God knows they do not need any thing else to hurt their drafting. They screw that up all by themselves.

I think he will be gone next year, and from the growth I've seen from him on the field, I believe the Browns will regret their actions.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree somewhat..apparently what he has done is affecting his ability to play football>>I know that because well he isnt playing:)

Fans getting sloshed before the game doesnt mean a thing to me or them thinking he should be canned or traded over it..It's the promise he made to the team..if he knew wouldnt/couldnt keep his promise to the team or agree to their ridiculous demands then MAYBE he shouldnt have agreed to them?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Since Manziel has proven he's not interested in being a team leader and leading by example and he's too tall to be one of our receivers, I'm afraid we'll have to try and trade him to Dallas. Jones defends Hardy and loves himself some morons.

What if we offered to trade Manziel FOR Hardy???? naughtydevil

No, he can actually play defense, what would he do here?

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Y'all talk in circles. What about Gordon? People like to list all of Johnny's incidents. Wanna list Gordon's? I don't think anyone will because his are far more serious than Johnny's........and this is part of the reason I say this entire situation is hypocritical.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Nothing hypocritical about it at all..Johnny made a promise to the his team/mates didnt follow through on his end.

No matter how stupid the agreement was/is the dumbo couldnt keep up his end for 1 lousy week.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
And n o I'm not speaking in circles..just trying to figure out why the guy cant stay out of the spotlight..no matter how stupid you think that is..for more then a week when he gave his word he would:/

D
Legend
Legend
D
Since Manziel has proven he's not interested in being a team leader and leading by example and he's too tall to be one of our receivers, I'm afraid we'll have to try and trade him to Dallas. Jones defends Hardy and loves himself some morons.

If Chip Kelly doesn't get fired, maybe we could trade him to the Eagles for Sam Brittle - er - Bradford.

Dave #1040320 11/27/15 12:07 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave

If Chip Kelly doesn't get fired, maybe we could trade him to the Eagles for Sam Brittle - er - Bradford.

Well, since Mack won't be here next year and we wasted our pick for his replacement on a #1, that trade could be considered manslaughter.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Y'all talk in circles. What about Gordon? People like to list all of Johnny's incidents. Wanna list Gordon's? I don't think anyone will because his are far more serious than Johnny's........and this is part of the reason I say this entire situation is hypocritical.

Why are you always trying to deflect blame?

The conversation is abou manziel. Everybody already agrees that Gordon is a dumbass.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Swish

The conversation is abou manziel. Everybody already agrees that Gordon is a dumbass.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Johnny Manziel's great lie underscores Browns lack of leadership

Pants on fire: So Johnny Manziel finally was caught lying to the Browns.

That was the reason, reported Cleveland.com, ESPN and Jay Glazer of FOX Sports, that Mike Pettine demoted Manziel to third string.

Manziel partied his bye week away. His sycophant friends documented the partying on cell phone cameras. When Manziel was confronted about the video that appeared on the Internet, he told the Browns it was not a recent video. Glazer reported that Manziel then instructed his sycophant friends to tell the same story, if asked.

“He violated the trust,” Pettine said.

Shame on Johnny?

Shame on the Browns.

They have been duped and conned and played like fools from the day former quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains – the overmatched “point man” of the Browns’ 2014 quarterback search -- received the infamous text on the night of the 2014 draft.

“I want to wreck this (expletive) league together,” Manziel texted.

“Soon as that happened Mr. Haslam said, ‘Alright, pull the trigger, we’re trading up to go get this guy,’” Loggains recounted in the definitive, authoritative account of the franchise-changing travesty that occurred on May 8, 2014.

Enamored with the money machine that Manziel already was, Jimmy Haslam the owner, Alec Scheiner the president and Ray Farmer the general manager nodded and high-fived and hooted and hollered.

What a pathetic, amateurish way to select your franchise quarterback.

By the end of the night, the team was hawking Manziel jerseys on its official team Website. With that act of instant marketing, they anointed him. Empowered him. Enabled him.

Shame on Johnny?

Shame on the Browns.

Another opportunity lost: The sad thing was in spite of their dumbness, the Browns actually were digging out of their culture of losing. They were blind, however, to the real reason behind it.

Pettine’s surprising first-year defense and a weak schedule played large roles in the 7-4 record held by the Browns on Thanksgiving Day, 2014. But the single person who brought a culture of winning and all that goes into it was Brian Hoyer.

Schooled by Tom Brady in the relentless work ethic and 24/7 professionalism required of the quarterback position, Hoyer injected the Browns’ locker room with all the right qualities. The fact that he instantly saw through Manziel, however, was held against him by everyone above the head coach. And instead of soaking up Hoyer’s example, Manziel partied and pouted and waited for the screws to be turned on Pettine.

Hoyer ultimately crumbled under the pressure of having to defeat opponents on the field and opponents in the organization. When Pettine succumbed to the pressure of playing Manziel, it was a turning point. Since then, Pettine’s record is 2-13.

After Farmer chased Hoyer out of town, I believe Pettine agreed to a compromise with his bosses: Get me a veteran quarterback to be my starter, and you can make Manziel the No. 2.

How else to explain how Manziel – after abusing his rookie entitlement and then checking into a 73-day stay in a substance abuse treatment center – was given the undisputed No. 2 job while rumors abounded county-wide of his after-hours partying.

“He’s been A-plus in the building,” Pettine repeatedly said.

Yes, if it wasn’t for that little iceberg, the Titanic had a wonderful voyage.

Now what?: “I’m not going to do anything that’s going to be a distraction to this team or be an embarrassment to the organization,” Manziel said before bolting to a club in Austin, TX, where he held a bottle of champagne, looked into his sycophants’ cell cameras and voiced the ugly words of a vulgar song riddled with N-words.

And when his sycophants put the video on the Internet, Manziel lied about it, according to the reports, and then asked them to cover for him.

That’s appalling, of course.

But also appalling was the total lack of outrage in the Browns’ locker room over the fact that Manziel reacted to his appointment to the starting job with such immaturity and arrogance.

Before the reports of Manziel lying about his partying, nobody expressed any concern about their quarterback making a mockery of his promotion – a mockery of his team.

I have never seen a Browns locker room is so utterly devoid of leadership. Nobody close to stepping forward and saying of Manziel’s antics, “That ain’t right.”

Some players were actually defending Manziel and blaming the media for making too much of a young guy enjoying himself on his bye week – until they read Pettine’s comments of “disappointment and frustration” on their Twitter accounts.

That’s the culture that Haslam, Scheiner, Farmer and Pettine have created.

Now try undoing that. You reap what you sow.

http://www.espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=51941

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Quarterbacks have been some of the biggest party guys in the NFL. Our own Bernie Kosar drank like a fish. He performed in the NFL Skills contest drunk on his butt. Funny how the Browns were not "embarrassed" about that.

Guys like Sonny Jurgenson, Namath, Stabler, Farve, Bernie, Jim Kelly, Big Ben, Cutler, Eli, Kap, Romo, Stafford, etc have been known to love to party.

Too much hypocrisy is thriving on here. Gee, what a surprise that is.

Perhaps it's because times are achangin' Vers. The level of "professionalism" has increased and you now need to be able to play close to 100% of your capabilities. What was once thought a quirk in your character (drunkennss, etc) is now seen as a fatal flaw. Probably not well stated, but I believe you get my drift...

Times are not changing. They have changed. They changed 15 years ago or more - the behaviour that was acceptable for athletes in any sport changed. There were still (and are) some bad boys who get away with some schtick out of the public eye - but with camera phones and video - it's changed again in the last 5 years. To compare JMM era to Kosar is wrong on so many levels - driven by agenda and the desire to be the contrarian as ever.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

What about Gordon? Gordon is a non-issue. He was a dumbass, he was removed from the field. He was a dumbass again and was removed from the field longer. And if I recall, Gordon being off the field was the League's punishment, not the team's. So apples and oranges when comparing Manziel to Gordon.

Now, when Gordon is allowed to rejoin the team, if Gordon is told in order to continue to remain with the team that he has to abide by certain behavior, and he doesn't and pictures of him surface of him attending a pro-pot rally in Colorado during the BYE week and when confronted about it and he lies and asks others to lie about it as well... and Pet et al just let it go... then you have a case.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Maybe the lack of outrage stems from the likelihood that much of if not most of the team don't take him serious to begin with? It's hard to be disappointed in someone you have few if any expectations for. In order to be outraged there has to be an element of surprise. Does anyone really think most of these players are surprised? I don't

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Yeah............it's better to embrace guys like Greg Hardy who put deep, ugly bruises over most of that woman's body.

Or, perhaps it is Big Ben, who forces himself sexually on women.

Maybe it's Adrian Peterson, who bruised his son's testicles w/a switch.

Then again, one guy blows his fingers off w/fireworks and gets a nice contract. That sure is accountability.

Perhaps it is drafting one qb who stole a laptop, cheated on an academic exam, and tried to take money from one SEC school [at the very least] and then went to play for another.

Or, maybe it is a guy accused of raping a woman in college, stealing from a store, yelling out insults towards women, etc and then being drafted first overall.

Perhaps, that is why I find this mess hypocritical.

Then you are talking about the NFL as a whole, not just the Browns?

Funny - I don't find ANY NFL fan - or Browns fan condoning or sanctioning any of the people or activities listed in that original post. Can ANYONE find a link - or was this just someone lying for effect?

Perhaps their are posters that somehow feel that JM getting benched for abusing team trust and putting his party style lifestyle above being a Browns QB is somehow connected to Greg Hardy's despicable actions .... personally I'd say that's a complete fabrication and impossible to link.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19
Okay he lied to the team,I get it. Punish him for the next game.

I find it completely stupid to bench the kid for the rest of the season. IMO it is a detriment to the team. He needs to play to see if he will succeed. Sitting him, and placing him at third on the depth chart does nothing to help the evaluation process. All this does is muddle up the draft process for next year. And God knows they do not need any thing else to hurt their drafting. They screw that up all by themselves.

I think he will be gone next year, and from the growth I've seen from him on the field, I believe the Browns will regret their actions.

+1

If they want to punish Manziel, fine. But the way they handle this has just set the team back another 2-3 years at least.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Edit: No one can save the Cleveland Clowns!

I still would like to know why, when you were so outraged by some (myself included) calling Banner, Lombardi, and Haslen "Bozos" was so objectionable ..... but you calling the Cleveland Browns "Clowns" is perfectly OK?

I (and others)singled out certain of the powers that be on the team, and blasted them for what was seen, nationwide, as "Bozo behavior". You said that was wrong. However, you calling the team, as a whole (and in its entirely) "Clowns" is somehow perfectly fine? How is that logical? How is that consistent?

I really am curious.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Manziel has 8 Months out of the year to party if he wants too, if he can't control himself for the other 4 months (the season) then I say get rid of him. The dude was just given his chance to be the man and instead of being in Cleveland watching film and perfecting his craft he goes back home to party (great work ethic). I see people bringing up other players who had histories of being partiers but can any of you tell me how many of them partied during the season before they had established themselves as legitimate NFL players?

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Stop trying to move the goalposts to fit whatever agenda you're trying to brainwash everyone in.

My point was this: "Why act like other teams in not holding the players accountable for actions in their own personal life?"

I think many here forget to realize individuals like Gordon and Manziel would be gone if Paul Brown was coaching in today's day and age.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: columbusdawg

What did he do that any other NFL player didn't do on their off week? How, in any way, was the organization discredited? Our play on the field has done that already, I counter Daddy Pettine should be a lot more concerned about that than Johnny having a drink.

Manziel is the QB... a Leader of an NFL team. Public perception--he has a poor reputation and demonstrated bad behavior and judgement off the field. He was given many chances and support to get himself right. He still continued with a nonstop partying attitude and was involved in quite a few alcohol related events AFTER he entered the NFL. Like it or not, each event discredits the concept of professionalism and the organization he represents (both on and off duty). From what I remember:
- photographed chugging liquor on an inflatable swan
- photographed at multiple parties with drink in hand all over the US
- photographed rolling dollar bills in a night club bathroom
- got drinks thrown at him after a night club altercation
- fought with a fan after late night partying
- fined for missing medical treatment (he was drunk)
- entered rehab
- fought with his girlfriend after a few drinks
- partied during the bye week after being put on notice by the Browns

Manziel is at fault for his behavior, not the Browns. He works for them at the moment and needs to comply with their rules...or suffer the consequences. Manziel needs to think before he acts and surround himself with other folks that will help him change for the better.

Last edited by Browns_D02; 11/27/15 02:42 PM.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
What about Gordon?

they suspended him for a game. if i recall right?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dave
Quote:
We knew who he was when he was drafted, there is blame on the organization thinking he was going to stop partying. It is his persona at this point and if it doesn't affect his play I don't care what he does (legal of course).

Actually, if you recall, Manziel was freaking choirboy in the months leading up to the draft, avoiding the Super Bowl parties, and generally disappearing from social media during that period. It lead a lot of teams to believe (incorrectly) that he had finally grown up, and turned over a new leaf. Then after the draft the stories and images started up again - the swan, shooting champagne over crowds of people in Vegas, rolling up dollar bills in bathrooms, etc. He really is Eddie Haskell. He'll say what he thinks you want to hear to your face, and then proceed to do whatever he damn pleases.

Also, apparently there's 60+ QBs in the NFL who don't have a problem with being held to a higher standard than their teammates, because they know it comes with the territory. Its how the league is, because pro QB is the toughest position in all of sports to play well.

+1

People in a leadership position are ALWAYS held to a higher standard, which means different rules. If JM doesn't like the rules that go with being the #1, he can always play just well enough to be the #2 or #3.

Preferably somewhere else. Get rid of this clown. Nothing but a round the clock distraction. Enough already.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: eotab
We knew who he was when he was drafted, there is blame on the organization thinking he was going to stop partying.

He was 20 when we drafted him...you expect players to mature. We have bent over backwards to get him to mature. We want a QB here who will work like no other to become great. The We know theory is rather irrelevant.

Young players are suppose to grow.

jmho

He us still only 22.

Why I never said get rid of him...Pettine also said so. 22 instead of 20 he has to grow. 2nd year in the NFL no excuse.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Organization is pissing me off like never before...

Wish we had some competent people to run this team.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Wait! What? Are you saying they have already cut Gordon?

They didn't cut JFF.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Tired of "All JM, all the time." Can't be a lotta TEAM left in him. Coaches jacked up his consequences. Just don't see any good outcome. I also don't feel it is up to this club to make it work out, their draft and all. Maybe it bites us, maybe it is wrong judgment, but Pettine moved on it quickly and decisively. So be it. For those who want pick apart this kid and see what he can do, maybe you have seen enough to know honestly. I hope he gets better; maybe this dose of tough love will help.

As is, this is not "the face of the Browns" I want, simply put.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
I was extremely and angrily against this move when it was announced. It would be stupid and foolish to bench him just for going to a party. It would be like biting off your nose to spite your face.

However now that these lying allegations have come out, I have to agree with the team. I despise liars. Johnny really needs to grow up. He has a job to do. Or maybe not now.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
However now that these lying allegations have come out, I have to agree with the team.

That is keeping an open mind, Eve. Congrat's... thumbsup

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Here is the truth, if our record was 8-2 instead of 2-8 and Manziel was our starter no one would give a rats ass if he got smashed every weekend. The only reason this is a story is because we suck and everyone on this elevator to hell is looking for someone to blame. If you win your a rockstar and if you lose your an unaccountable piece of crap, there is the hypocrisy.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
wonder why his agent hasn't said any thing ?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Originally Posted By: pblack18707
wonder why his agent hasn't said any thing ?

Just what can his agent say in Johnny's defense?

Anything said in an attempt to defend what Manziel did is more likely going to make things worse.

Best thing his agent can do is keep any conversations he might have with management, confidential.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Originally Posted By: Browns_D02

What did he do that any other NFL player didn't do on their off week? How, in any way, was the organization discredited? Our play on the field has done that already, I counter Daddy Pettine should be a lot more concerned about that than Johnny having a drink.

Manziel is the QB... a Leader of an NFL team. Public perception--he has a poor reputation and demonstrated bad behavior and judgement off the field. He was given many chances and support to get himself right. He still continued with a nonstop partying attitude and was involved in quite a few alcohol related events AFTER he entered the NFL. Like it or not, each event discredits the concept of professionalism and the organization he represents (both on and off duty). From what I remember:
- entered rehab

Manziel is at fault for his behavior, not the Browns. He works for them at the moment and needs to comply with their rules...or suffer the consequences. Manziel needs to think before he acts and surround himself with other folks that will help him change for the better.
old news and your point is? the browns FO is doing this as a smokescreen to how bad they have performed, sort of like a president goes on a trip to a foreign country when he cant stand the heat in the kitchen at home...no way does this punishment fit this "crime" and any one who thinks it does (which seems to be the majority of you on this board) are shameless hypocrites

T
Legend
Legend
T
What is McCowns record. What about that McCown can't win any games either.

At least if you lose with Manziel, you learn about your future.

If you lose with McCown, who is at retirement age, you are stupid.

If you try somebody else for the last 6 games, you are stupid also.

Not only, are they not trying to win, they aren't even trying to improve for the future!

Explain that! Anybody from the Organization! Ask that, local media.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
mac #1040465 11/27/15 07:36 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Just what can his agent say in Johnny's defense?

I think that was his point.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Been gone all day, and certainly can't respond to everyone, but it so pretty much futile anyhow as I am not changing my opinion on this. I disagree with this as it isn't what is best for the teams future IMO. We need to see what we have with him to move forward for better or worse. If we are done with Johnny play Davis - at least that would make some sense as far as determining the future. McCown isn't future, and that is really what us ticking me off the most about this situation.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ThomasE
Originally Posted By: Browns_D02

- entered rehab

old news and your point is? the browns FO is doing this as a smokescreen to how bad they have performed, sort of like a president goes on a trip to a foreign country when he cant stand the heat in the kitchen at home...no way does this punishment fit this "crime" and any one who thinks it does (which seems to be the majority of you on this board) are shameless hypocrites

I keep hearing he's just 22, he's just 22, now we're hearing, " it's old news". But, but he's just 22 how can any news of him be "old"?

Now who are these shameless hypocrites?

#GMSTRONG
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by Halfback32; 11/27/15 08:32 PM.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

The conversation is abou manziel. Everybody already agrees that Gordon is a dumbass

LOL....I was talking about the Browns and you and all the other mean-spirited, nasty, middle school girls are talking about posters.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
driven by agenda

Ahhh......the agenda word. Dumbest word on the board other than perhaps "troll."

If you don't agree w/someone, say they have agenda. Because the word "agenda" is a dirty word on the board. Your logic is flawed, so say the other poster has an "agenda" and you win.

Trouble is that you are incorrect on almost every point you make, just like the rest of the middle-school girls gossiping at the lunch table.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I personally think Manziel will be cut, or traded after the season. All this drama about Johnny and irresponsibility has caused the organization to wash their hands of him. Time to move on. No need to find out what he can do in the last 6 games. It doesn't really matter. I think the Browns will check out Davis, find out what he can do, and then look to the draft. Time to move on.

jmho

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Manziel continued

Link Copied to Clipboard