Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1043319 12/02/15 10:32 AM
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
If this gets long I will say sorry in advance..so for the tldr crowd this isnt intended for you..Plus I need a break from the political stuff and debating word meanings or my making mountains out of mole hills..

I went out to eat with my wife, children, their wives and grandchild..place we went to was packed but my son said it will be worth the wait.

I'm standing in line listening to other peoples conversations..some political some race stuff some just goofing off..after an hour of waiting/listening we get to our table.

I watch/listen to the people around me even while eating and talking to the family..I call it situational awareness..my wife calls it weird and paranoia.

The wife and I started a practice of paying for someones/groups dinner when we go out to eat. It started off with vets...then disabled vets and grew into whoever struck a cord with us on that particular visit..kids birhtdays old folks who are saying they wish they could afford something better to eat ect..

well on this visit I'm listening watching like usual..and started listening to our waitress talk to another waitress about how her family is going to be homeless by the end of the month because her husband got hit by an uninsured motorist and hasnt been able to work in three months due to serious injury and her income is low and cant cover the rent.

Their eletric is off and can barely afford to eat..her friend says girl u need to go get on assistance..which she replied they was to proud to do so but may not have a choice.

So I'm watching the people leave not tipping and I saw her checking the slips to see if anyone left tip on the slip after paying and saying how she cant believe so many people coming there and dont tip anything..couldve been exaggerated don't know didn't care.

I asked my son how much the rent runs in the part of the island she said she lived and excused myself..went across the street to a bank pulled out some money..went back sat down. my wife asks where the heck did u go..I whispered in her ear what I was going to do and she smiled.

Our meal came to an end..the waitress gave top notch service asked if we needed anything else we said no and got up and started leaving..I saw the look on her face.."oh great another huge party that isnt tipping" I handed her an envelope and said hope its enough.

She looked confused..opened it and she broke down crying right on the spot..I had to literally hold her up and repeat stop crying things will be fine for you. And the thanks arent needed. I saw I created a scene in a packed restaurant and handed her off to her friend/waitress..watched them head to the back of the restaurant and the Manager looking like WTF did that guy just do flamingmad

I caught up with my family and left...well the manager calls my wifes phone asks to speak to me..I'm like how the hell did he get our #..well earlier dear wife filled out a raffle ticket and had her # on it and gave it to the waitress to turn in.

The guy wanted to comp our next meal..told him I'm leaving the island soon and probably wouldnt make it back..and wasnt necessary..just make sure they don't include the whole amount as a tip and that would be good enough for me. He said he would oblige and told me I had a good heart.

I'm not an emotional person but the response I watched that waitress have BROKE ME DOWN..and had to compose myself before I got in the car to leave..

The first thought i had?? wonder if the Lyuokdea poster would still call me a racist and bigot.

she and her family are far from white and had no bearing on my decision to help..but damn at that split second I thought about that poster who called me that stuff and wondered if I'm spending to much time on this board to even think in that moment what some person on message board said.

So what about you?? do you have tradition little things you like to do for people while out??

Or am I a loon who doesnt see very much good left in the world?

FBHO71

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Admirable tradition FBH. The world could use more of that line of thinking.

My family tends to do things throughout the year with our church. We work the soup kitchen, support our local kids group home, provide holiday meals, take in needy children when the opportunity presents, ring the Salvation Army bell, support the food pantry and teach VBS at our church.

Our son loves animals so his charity is the Humane Society where he volunteers and offers financial support from his allowance.

Thanks for "paying it forward" and supporting humanity!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
not a tradition, but i just always over tip the waitresses and bartenders. i know from seeing my cousins do it that it's a rough life, and some people don't tip at all, so like if the bill is 25 bucks, i still always throw in a 10.

one time the bill was 75, and i threw in an extra 30. they have to deal with the absolute worst of customers on a daily basis, so i show them some love.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've done a 'feed the homeless' thing for the past several years. I don't donate food or money, but I do donate my time. They mostly have need volunteer cooks and servers anyway.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice story.

I don't have the kind of money you do, but our family volunteers at a homeless shelter. We actually housed a homeless man for about 6 months until he found work. I occasionally take to the streets, strike up a conversation w/a homeless person, take him out to eat, and give him a bit of money.

It would be cool to be rich and be able to really help people, but we try and do what we can.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Cjrae
Admirable tradition FBH. The world could use more of that line of thinking.

My family tends to do things throughout the year with our church. We work the soup kitchen, support our local kids group home, provide holiday meals, take in needy children when the opportunity presents, ring the Salvation Army bell, support the food pantry and teach VBS at our church.

Our son loves animals so his charity is the Humane Society where he volunteers and offers financial support from his allowance.

Thanks for "paying it forward" and supporting humanity!

Thanks Cjrae..My wife works in corporate level job who's business is in dementia/Alzheimer long and short term care.

I referenced in a post on here how I did my rehab in her main building she is in charge of over seeing and how after seeing the disease very up close and personal..have donated more then some peoples lifetime income towards the cause.

The wife and I left the church a looong time ago..but try to find ways to give back..from a life that financially has ended up being more then fruitful for us.

So the paying for the meals...because we eat out A TON..was one of the many ways we try to give back.

We have had very grateful..some thinking we thought they was a charity case..to some who just was really rude but accepted.

So we switched up tactics and instead of talking to the person/group we pay for..we just get the waiter and set up to pay the bill without their knowledge and have them just relay the message hope this helped.

But thanks for responding:)

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Hey Vers we get off to a touchy start..but it's not about the amount,,I went to a Bungles game last year..after the game there was bum's everywhere.

I bought bungles merchandise to give to my neighbor who is a bungles fan..I was ignoring the beggers but ran into 1 fella who not only looked homeless but smelled bad and looked hungry and cold..

Asked him if he was bengal fan he said yes..I asked him what is the punters name?? He told me more then that and for different years..gave him a gift card to a local steakhouse we purchased eating at before the game...and a bengals hoody and jersey.

That man cried and hugged me and said thanks for noticing him..I love doing stuff like this for people but i don't do it for just anyone..has to be some reason or feeling i'm supposed to do something.

Thanks for the response.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
I've done a 'feed the homeless' thing for the past several years. I don't donate food or money, but I do donate my time. They mostly have need volunteer cooks and servers anyway.

Time is money Erik poke

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Swish, depending on service I've given a penny to 100% or more tip..I like dressing down when we go out to eat where its appropriate to do so..and see how well I get treated or try to read if the waiter thinks we are going to be bad tippers and ignore us.

I did give 1 person a card that read...contact 1600 Pennsylvania Ave for money and tip.

It was awful service and the guy acted like he was doing me a favor by spending my money there.

Thanks for responding Swish:)

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Or am I a loon who doesnt see very much good left in the world?

You are a loon. But perhaps the nicest loon I have the pleasure of associating with.

That's a wonderful story.. Much as I suspected from your other posts, you strike me as a good guy.

I think the only thing my wife and I have ever done is pay to have a friends electric turned back on... not sure I've ever done anything remotely as nice as what you describe.

Thank you!

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
J
Legend
Legend
J
Nice thing you did.

I'm much more fond of people not telling anyone when they do this type of thing. That's my personal feeling about giving to others.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I won't go into the ways that I work or contribute to charities. But I will talk about a project I just started a couple of years ago and it's working out pretty well. My son in law is a district manager for Murphy Oil here in the Nashville area. As such, he has some stations he goes to in more impoverished areas of Nashville.

So we all sat down as a family and decided that all of the kids would go down their Christmas list and choose an item they felt they could really do without. With that money, we would go out and put together gift bags for homeless people. Personal items, sweaters, coats, etc....

Of course we adults put in a great deal of money to make many of the purchases possible, but that's not really important. The kids didn't really like the sound of it when we first mentioned the idea. But after doing the shopping and as we put the gift bags together, that all changed. Now they are very happy to give up a present and enjoy this as an annual family Christmas tradition.

I find great joy is passing down the tradition of giving to those who have less than yourself. I feel it's important to instill the act of giving in the next generation. I'm very proud of my family.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Thanks Daman..I didnt post to brag or show off..and yes i've done the utility thing also..before we built the home we live in now because where I live now I dont think anyone is in danger of their utilities being cut off.

But the home before this my home was butted up aginst a plat of houses that was worth about half or more less then ours. I ended up being very good friends with my neighbor behind me..he got sick his wife worked at krogers and between medical bills and other stuff...he didnt have any utilities on.

When i found out on a visit to his house i asked why didnt you tell me man..You guys can stay with us till u get it figured out. He was in his early 60's at the time and was PROUD to a fault..wouldnt accept my help.

So I wnet to all of the utility companies gave his address and paid them all off and got his stuff turned back on.

When he confronted me about it i just lied which i'm not good at doing and told him IDK what your talking about. I think that man would kill someone that messed with me to this day and visits me frequently even though I don't live close to him anymore.

Here nor tyhere thanks for the response:)

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Nice story.

It would be cool to be rich and be able to really help people.

wink

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I agree which is why we switched tactics..The only reason i posted was IDK...having a moment in my life I wanted to share..thought it was strange i thought about a poster calling me terrible names on this board and my first thought was him after doing this..

and the biggest 1 Jules I'm running out of time and am a very private person to a fault and just wanted share

so thanks for your response also:) I assure you it wasnt for attention or be in the bright light so to speak.

Last edited by FBHO71; 12/02/15 02:14 PM.
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I find great joy is passing down the tradition of giving to those who have less than yourself. I feel it's important to instill the act of giving in the next generation. I'm very proud of my family.

Me to thanks for posting Pit.

Legend
Legend
That was a truly wonderful thing to do for someone who was obviously in need. laugh

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
My sons who are still young and impressionable thought so to..

Thanks for the reply.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg
Nice thing you did.

I'm much more fond of people not telling anyone when they do this type of thing. That's my personal feeling about giving to others.

One other thing Jules...not to sound contumelious..but your post read as a backhanded compliment.

If I'm wrong..my bad...if not wellll....I'm not real concerned with your personal opinion catfight

Last edited by FBHO71; 12/02/15 02:52 PM.
Legend
Legend
That was a great story to read, FBHO71, & very sweet of you to do.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
thanks for your reply...it felt good till I read Jules post..now I'm second guessing myself for even posting it:/

Didn't want anyone to think i was wanting a pat on the back..

Legend
Legend
When I was 14, I got the cance of a lifetime: to study with a world-class cellist. Dude had toured Europe, played in front of the world's best orchestras... the whole ball o wax.

Went for the audition and was accepted into his studio. When he told My Momz his hourly rate, I watched he swallow hard, and shakily write out the check. When she handed it to him, she thanked him for his time, and asked to get a short list of lesser teachers who might charge a fee we could afford. It was a rather awkward moment.

Peter said, "You'll be bringing your son back to me, and nobody else. I won't let something like money stunt his growth as a musician. Pay me what you can afford. Does this [a 50% discount] sound good to you? Besides, there will always be some rich doctor's spoiled, talentless kid wanting lessons... and I'll just charge them double!" The look on My Momz face was priceless. When we got to the car, she said: "You will not mess this up, boy!"

Taught me all through h.s. at that same cheapass rate- and NEVER skimped on the quality of his lessons. I even went to his college so I could continue my education under him.

That gesture changed my life, FB... and it so impressed me that when I opened my own studio years later, I made it MY policy as well. Right now, I have 3 or 4 different rates I'm charging, and one little girl who's been getting lessons pro bono for 2 years. Her Momz keeps me fat on some really good food, though.

I love this thread. Paying it back/forward is a great way to live one's life.

thumbsup

*EDIT* ...it also helps to flesh out the character of our fellow posters. We may have some differing opinions on politics, religion, etc... but there are mostly good people at this place.

Last edited by Clemdawg; 12/02/15 03:18 PM.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: FBHO71
thanks for your reply...it felt good till I read Jules post..now I'm second guessing myself for even posting it:/

Didn't want anyone to think i was wanting a pat on the back..

Sometimes posts like yours, FBHO, give (good) food for thought to others. It's not a pat on the back thing, it's a humanity thing. Everyone is different about how they go about it. Tell, don't tell, do it anonymously, who cares? Results are still the same and others reap the benefit.

You may have just planted a seed in the garden of another.

#gmstrong
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Nice read Clem as usual..thanks for the response good sir:)

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Thank you..which is part of my reasoning for posting. Like I posted i'm not emotional at ALL...BUT this moment broke me down and didnt understand why I thought about someone on this message board when it happened.

So for other nefarious saywhat reasons I posted it.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Nice story.

wink

40 I've told you I dont get your humor sometimes...but if that smiley means you doubt the credibility of my 'story' well I'll just say this..I'm no freaking liar have not one thing to prove or gain by posting it and I really am starting to question my reasons for posting on here.

If i read you wrong..my bad..but if i didn't well I'm not one to prove anything but if you want proof of my financial state..I'd gladly show GM any documentation ud like to see proof of.

God d...feel like I ruined the spirit of this thread but i cant stand being called a liar even if suggested with a smiley.

to those who enjoyed thanks for those who think I'm full of baloney or posted what seemed like a backhanded compliment..I wont post anymore about personal life i'll just keep it business.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Nice story.

wink

40 I've told you I dont get your humor sometimes...but if that smiley means you doubt the credibility of my 'story' well I'll just say this..I'm no freaking liar have not one thing to prove or gain by posting it and I really am starting to question my reasons for posting on here.

If i read you wrong..my bad..but if i didn't well I'm not one to prove anything but if you want proof of my financial state..I'd gladly show GM any documentation ud like to see proof of.

God d...feel like I ruined the spirit of this thread but i cant stand being called a liar even if suggested with a smiley.

to those who enjoyed thanks for those who think I'm full of baloney or posted what seemed like a backhanded compliment..I wont post anymore about personal life i'll just keep it business.

Stop it man! Smiley face had to do with being rich. Relax, take them thangs the doc told you to take! You can be a real Hoot sometimes. banghead

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
got you man my fault..I'm shell shocked from posting so much and yes i have to go so the nurse can take care of me and give me some meds..I'm not well and a little touchy..AGAIN 40 SORRY I misread you enjoy your evening I have to rest..

Legend
Legend
All good Bud, you are a Lion, not a Liar! thumbsup

1st String
1st String
Great read! Thanks for sharing. I needed that.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, he was making fun of me.....not you..............so, it's all good. grin

Legend
Legend
Stop it! I wasn't making fun of anybody! Sheez!
I guess around here one winky face is worth a thousand words! banghead

V
Legend
Legend
V
I was kidding.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I used to think that way, until a few weeks ago when I donated a pretty good amount of food to the Stark county food task force..

I felt so good that I helped others it made me emotional. I mentioned it on my FB page and a few others made a donation.

So i feel it helps with those who want to but don't, It kind of makes giving a little easier..

And this story sure beats the hell out of the one all over the news now..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Or am I a loon

Yep ! your a loon...Thank goodness ! What you did was a wonderful thing thumbsup

Legend
Legend
I was kidding.

wink

Legend
Legend
Cool story. I have a few little traditions, I always overtip. You really have to suck to get less than 20% from me.. usually 25-30% and that's for a dinner, if it's just a couple beers it might be 100%.. especially if you are a cute bartender and flirt with me... tongue

I've done the pick up dinner for a servicemans family before. One of the most gratifying was one time my wife and I were at lunch and a serviceman in full uniform was having lunch with his wife and 2 young daughters (probably about 3 and 6). The place we were eating is well known for its cupcakes and the girls wanted a cupcake. Their check arrived and I didn't have time to pick it up but as the mom signed the bill she explained to the daughters how the cupcakes were like $6 each and they just couldn't do it right now. So I quickly had 4 cupcakes sent to their table before they could leave.... making service people happy is good, making their kids happy is awesome.

On a different note, two nights ago before going to watch the Browns game (I am in Charleston, SC for the 4th week in a row).. a friend and I were at dinner and the guy beside us had a policy like yours.. he picked a random couple at the bar and picked up their check. Didn't ask to be identified, didn't know if the couple he paid for was rich or poor, just did it as a "pay it forward" gesture. When he got up to leave, he had to walk past our table and I got his attention. I told him that I saw what he did and I really respected him for doing it.... but... that couple at the bar came in to eat, they had money to buy their own dinner obviously, on the corner, 20 feet from the restaurant door, were 2 homeless guys who did not, and who might not eat that night at all... so I was very respectful and told him that I thought his generosity might be better served by buying for those who will do without but for his generosity instead of those who can obviously afford to feed themselves... he was cordial and admitted he had never thought of it that way and he would think about that in the future. So not wanting to be a total hypocrit, when we finished eating I ordered a couple sandwiches and gave them to the homeless guys on the corner on my way out.

yebat' Putin
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Thanks for the response DC...We have given food to people who hang out by restaurants with homless signs need help God bless

Gave them a bag of assorted food..and I swear the people have said..what am I supposed to do with this?? where is the money.

1 other time same situation...he took it we left and parked..he didn t see us anymore and walked over to the restaurant he was begging in front of and threw it away and went back to holding his sign.

So we got a little picky from there..and started looking at their fingernails..most homeless that are living on the streets dont have manicured hands.
cause we have ran into some who was dressed bad looked bad but those nails was nice and polished..probably professional pan handlers.

So I need to feel some kind of reason to give a connection so to speak. I did mention above the homeless guy I gave to ate last years Browns/bungles game.

Either way thanks for responding.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg
Nice thing you did.

One other thing Jules...not to sound contumelious..but your post read as a backhanded compliment.

If I'm wrong..my bad...if not wellll....I'm not real concerned with your personal opinion catfight

To tell the truth, I had a post outlined about something I did, (on a smaller scale though) and when I read through it, it sounded like I was bragging, so I deleted it and posted the response I did instead.

I think that it is a wonderful thing to help someone. It doesn't even always take spending a ton of money to really make someone's day. I don't go out to eat a lot anymore, but when I do, when I receive great service, or great food, I make sure that the manager knows about it. (in front of the person, if possible) I have had managers bring the kitchen staff out when I have said that a meal was especially good. It is always nice to be able to give someone a well deserved compliment.

I believe we should always tip at least 20% when we receive good service. Great service warrants a tip over that amount. If we can do something special for someone who looks like they are in need, or just would really appreciate it, then we should do so. I have picked up the tab for someone at random in the drive thru lane from time to time. I imagine that the person has to be completely stunned to find that someone picked up the tab for their meal. I have asked for a manager and paid for the next few cars in line behind me. It's not a lot, but I imagine that someone gets up there and hears that their meal has been paid for, and that has to make their day.

Secret Santa is a wonderful feeling as well. I did this for a friend of mine who was out of work several years ago. I knew what their kids wanted, and so I left presents for them and their kids on their doorstep, and then rang the doorbell and ran like crazy. It was so incredible seeing them talk about what someone did for them .... and them having no clue who it was. It is an amazing feeling. So is leaving a whole bag of groceries on someone's doorstep during the holidays. There are a lot of things that we can do to help others, that can really make their day, and that really don't cost very much.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
If I were to post all of the wonderful things I have done for people over the years I would receive everyone's thanks, appreciation and accolades.

I would have my reward from all of you.

I however don't talk much about it because I feel it is between me and my GOD. If I am every rewarded for good deeds, I prefer it be from THE MOST HIGH.

I do however appreciate FBHO71 sharing his great deed with all of us because he has lifted our spirits and brightened our lives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Like to share a story...

Link Copied to Clipboard