Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I was thinking the plan was to dump JF at the end of the season. I wouldn't care.

However, it may be that the Browns plan on making him their franchise QB so it becomes priority to hold him accountable, make him realize his accountability as the "face of the franchise", attempt to instill some much lacking integrity, create an improved work ethic and give him a reason to intrinsically want to become better on and off the field.

This is, however, not day care. That being said, it is risky to build a team around such a tenuous situation knowing at any time he may be suspended or out of the league.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not fully surprised by this move, and I'm kind of okay with it. I think Austin Davis could be a good QB if given the opportunity to play for consecutive games. It's clear that the team is moving on from Manziel, so I'd like to see if Davis can play decently at this point. I always liked him when I saw him in St. Louis.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jcing...

I was wrong..I thought the front office would insist that Manziel start.

I had no doubt that Pettine would choose to follow through with the punishment..But I thought Haslam and Farmer would pressure Pettine to start Manziel.

...I'm glad I was wrong...go Austin !

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: Lemmys_Wart
I'm not fully surprised by this move, and I'm kind of okay with it. I think Austin Davis could be a good QB if given the opportunity to play for consecutive games. It's clear that the team is moving on from Manziel, so I'd like to see if Davis can play decently at this point. I always liked him when I saw him in St. Louis.

I agree

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Cjrae
I was thinking the plan was to dump JF at the end of the season. I wouldn't care.

However, it may be that the Browns plan on making him their franchise QB so it becomes priority to hold him accountable, make him realize his accountability as the "face of the franchise", attempt to instill some much lacking integrity, create an improved work ethic and give him a reason to intrinsically want to become better on and off the field.

This is, however, not day care. That being said, it is risky to build a team around such a tenuous situation knowing at any time he may be suspended or out of the league.

i agree.

the only problem, which some posters have brought up, is that, well, the league hasn't actually ever did anything to manziel.

this is all pettine. so while manziel is a bit of a loose cannon, we have to wonder if pettine has some sort of vendetta against manziel.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Tough love! We use it on kids every day

#gmstrong
K
Rookie
Rookie
K
not surprised.

S
SM3 Offline
Rookie
Rookie
S
The Browns just announced that Austin Davis will start for them Sunday at home against the Bengals, and that Manziel would be his backup.

“Austin took advantage of his opportunity on Monday night. He was prepared, played well and put us in position to win,” Pettine said in a statement released by the team. “He’s been great in the quarterback room all season and he has earned the right to start on Sunday. We expect him to play well.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...davis-to-start/

LMAO , played well and put us in a position to win he said...earned the RIGHT to start he says

What a friggin petty,insecure buffoon Pettine is. Now it is obvious he has a personal problem with Johnny. I would love to see a headline that says " Browns clean house, only Haslam and the janitorial staff remain in building"

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Tough love! We use it on kids every day

Yup, if he would grow up he wouldnt have these problems.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Originally Posted By: Arps
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Manziel was punished. Start him now. We need to know if he can play and the sample is already too small.

Idiots. All of them.

We dont, the coaches do. Maybe they have seen what they need to already...

Strictly my opinion but three games seems like a small sample size for a competent staff to use in their evaluation. With what I have seen out of this staff this year, no way do I think they have all of the information they need to make a decision about the QB situation going forward into next season. I used to feel that due to what the coaching staff sees on the practice field they would have the proper insight, at least more than the normal fan. But looking at our personnel decisions, lack of discipline, lack of or just poor in game adjustments etc. I honestly don't know that this staff is competent in making a future QB decision.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I vote for " Idiot's , all of them " !

V
1st String
1st String
V
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: Jester
[quote=Dawg_LB]I'm not sure this staff, from GM down, is capable of making a logical decision.

Cut JF if you won't play the annoying lil punk.

Not sure that there is a plan but keeping JFF gives us the opportunity to trade him in the off season and potentially get something back. Even if only a 6th or 7th round draft pick.

Except the FO doesn't want to trade him.

Quote:
This is an example of an entire organization not being on the same page.

When the HC is not on the same page as the GM, the HC should be terminated. This is not rocket science. frown

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
thats all weve seen. I assume the coaches have seen him for hundreds of hours in practice.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
When will this stop being about Pettine punishing Manziel and be about what is best for this team long term? And what is the punishment for lying?

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
Typical Clowns "decision" They would not know future greatness if it slapped them in the face! How could they? They have never even been mediocre! G'head keep taking everyone else's leavings!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
As long as the Browns keep on Starting 2 3 QBS a year they will never be a playoff team.
Show me a playoff team and I will show you one starting QB.

We are 2-9 I think our playoff aspirations have diminished. Davis played well so he is not incompetent. Its still about Manziel and the mistrust he built. I'm good with him starting but Pettine is not and he is the guy in charge. I think we want to see a full game and if he for some insane reason studs out and wins he keeps on playing. If he faulters we could be seeing Manziel start the 2nd half and the rest of the season.

Do I want to see Manziel play? Yes...is this a big deal? No my only question is will this mean that we have big time change? I hope not. That is all I care about right now. No upheaval, No changes except one of D.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
When the GM is not on the same page as the HC, the GM should be replaced!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
If this decision doesn't get under Johnny's skin enough to make him take a good hard look at his drinking, perhaps nothing will.

Pettine is punishing Manziel hard. And the fans.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Swish

i agree.

the only problem, which some posters have brought up, is that, well, the league hasn't actually ever did anything to manziel.

this is all pettine. so while manziel is a bit of a loose cannon, we have to wonder if pettine has some sort of vendetta against manziel.

Good point, the league hasn't had to do anything to Manziel... but they've been close haven't they?

As for a personal vendetta? I dunno man. I think at worst Pet is a guy who never bought in to the Manziel hype. He probably didn't want to draft him in the first place. But once drafted he did give him an opportunity to compete with Hoyer for the job. There are different opinions as to who actually won that, but still... he was given consideration. When Hoyer started his meltdown he wouldn't start Manziel even though everyone was pressuring him to, probably because he knew just how unprepared Manziel was going to be... and Pet was right wasn't he?

Pet's admitted Manziel has made progress this year in terms of football, but that doesn't mean he's made any progress in terms of the maturity needed for the position.

My guess with Austin starting is that they are looking to see if at minimum the #2 spot is settled going in to next year. I'd think that it would be considering we gave him a 3yr extension.

I'm also wondering if they are looking to see if they can possibly roll with him as a #1 with McCown as a #2 next year if they don't see anyone in the draft they like?

Dang.. it's too early for Draft speculation thumbsdown

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
But the two questions I have are. How many hours has he been running with the 1s in practice? How competent are these coaches in making the correct decision? We have already seen them start an obviously injured McCown,also allow an obviously injured McCown to reenter games in lieu of putting Manziel into the game.

Rookie
Rookie
This whole Manziel thing has made this franchise once again the laughing stock of NFL teams. When does it stop? Front office needs to tell Pettine either play him so we know if his off field issues are worth dealing with or Pettine take a hike. It is almost as if Pettine has an agenda to help Johnny ruin his career! Gruden said it best Monday night when he said the Browns need to play Manziel good or bad he thinks they will be surprised! Hell I would be surprised just to see him start after they told the world he was the starter! Man it hard being a Browns fan. I was so excited when Haslam bought this team and Lerner was gone. I along with most of the Browns nation had visions of playoffs, Championships, Beating the Steelers and Ravens. Man we went from bad to freaking unbelievably the worst we have ever been! Cmon Jimmy Haslam get yourself together, get this front office and coaching staff together, and build an organization that people are proud to be a part of and not laugh at!If it takes 15 mill a year to get a Gruden or Cowher caliber coach in here that's your job to do and take care of. And if you cant do that for gods sake please sell the team to someone who will!

Results not Excuses Marty Schottenheimer 1984
Legend
Legend
i feel you bro.

but remember, Cam Newton was immature as well when he started. I'm no where saying Manziel is Cam, but what i am saying is they both had maturity issues.

But maybe starting is what help Cam mature into a leader? a responsible person? The only thing people can complain about that guy now is his endzone dancing, but guess what? stop him from scoring, then you stop him from dancing.

I'm not saying just hand the job over....but sometimes i just wonder if this guy would take it seriously if he knew he had the job in concrete.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M

I don't how I feel about this - and I won't second guess whether this is a strong message to JM to shape up and intended to be a stronger wake up call than he's ever had before - whether the team is moving on - whatever .... Maybe they see as much potential in Davis as they do JM? . . . guess we'll find out some.

I do know that there was as much or more scathing remarks about the signing of McCown ... and he was much better than expected, maybe the same will be true?

Swish - with regard to the NFL not having taken action with JM ... what does that have to do with what action can and can't be handed out by the team? What relevance does it have to whether the actions are warranted or not?

The NFL doesn't care if JM is late for meetings. Or if he knows the playbook. NFL doesn't care if JM promises certain actions to the team and then breaks his word. NFL doesn't care if JM lies to coaches and players. NFL doesn't care if JM has a destructive pattern of personal conduct that prevents him from making football the #1 priority in his life ..... but the Browns should and do.

Man - I didn't want JM. When we took him at #22 I was trying to rationalize that it might be good value. Last year he was dead to me with his continued talking the talk and then never living up to his spoken word. Then the offseason seemed a positive move, the glimpses we saw on the field looked like a much improved QB .... and then one thing after another in the last 4-5 weeks with the girlfriend/car incident and everything that's followed. On the one hand the more adversity he faces the more I want to root for him as he is a Browns QB ... but he makes it hard to root for him with his attitude or persona that partying and having fun is more important than being a football player.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07
But the two questions I have are. How many hours has he been running with the 1s in practice? How competent are these coaches in making the correct decision? We have already seen them start an obviously injured McCown,also allow an obviously injured McCown to reenter games in lieu of putting Manziel into the game.

Great points.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

Legend
Legend
you got me wrong man, i wasn't saying that he doesn't deserve to get punished by the team, all i'm saying is he hasn't done anything that warranted the NFL stepping in, like the Gordon situation. that's all.

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
If this decision doesn't get under Johnny's skin enough to make him take a good hard look at his drinking, perhaps nothing will.

Pettine is punishing Manziel hard. And the fans.

Maybe not IF it is a temporary inconvenience on a season already lost but permanent improvement on a future to be determined.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V

I am curious as to how many games you saw Davis play in St. Louis?

Also, look at the qb situation in St. Louis. They have perhaps the worst qb situation in the league. Foles was benched for Keenum, who had a terrible, terrible game. He got concussed, so they had to go back to Foles, who promptly threw 3 interceptions.

And as bad as those guys are, the Rams chose to cut Davis this year. So, I am just wondering why you think he is good?

Legend
Legend
It's official. Season was tanked for the 2016 draft.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M
got it !

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
i feel you bro.

but remember, Cam Newton was immature as well when he started. I'm no where saying Manziel is Cam, but what i am saying is they both had maturity issues.

But maybe starting is what help Cam mature into a leader? a responsible person? The only thing people can complain about that guy now is his endzone dancing, but guess what? stop him from scoring, then you stop him from dancing.

I'm not saying just hand the job over....but sometimes i just wonder if this guy would take it seriously if he knew he had the job in concrete.

Can't disagree with you here.

Cam happened to have a team that was willing and able to put up with his maturity issues. Not every coaching staff is capable of that, and I think this coaching staff certainly isn't one that is. I don't think that alone makes a coach bad. Look at the Bengals. Once they got rid of guys like T.O. and Ochocinco, the Bengals have become perennial first rd playoff losers. But they have been consistent getting to the playoffs when they hadn't really before. Hell, I can't possibly imagine what it would be like to have THAT problem lol

-Jack Burton

M
Legend
Legend
M
Pettine made his point benching Manziel in prime time. At this point, Pettine's just being a complete d-bag and wasting time. He may know he's fired at the end of the season and this is his petty way of sticking it to Manziel and the FO.

The total house cleaning of this organization at the end of the year cannot come soon enough.

Watch Austin Davis win a game and two and we'll have nudniks running around shouting he's our future and should get a chance to start next year.

What a franchise.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I am curious as to how many games you saw Davis play in St. Louis?

Also, look at the qb situation in St. Louis. They have perhaps the worst qb situation in the league. Foles was benched for Keenum, who had a terrible, terrible game. He got concussed, so they had to go back to Foles, who promptly threw 3 interceptions.

And as bad as those guys are, the Rams chose to cut Davis this year. So, I am just wondering why you think he is good?

I watched parts of all of them. He always looked like he could develop into a good QB. He had good mobility, was an accurate thrower, looked calm and as if he could be a leader on the field. He's also had to earn everything he's gotten to this point in his career, so I hope that means he has the right mentality for the position.

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07
When will this stop being about Pettine punishing Manziel and be about what is best for this team long term? And what is the punishment for lying?

thats where i am with this. Pettine is just trying to save his job at this point. not trying to save this franchise. thats how it appears to me. thats why i say screw him. he's more stubborn than some children.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: 86hunter
This whole Manziel thing has made this franchise once again the laughing stock of NFL teams. When does it stop?

It stops when the Browns wise up and dump Manziel. He is nothing more than a circus side show. He was drafted to create media buzz, sell tickets and sell jerseys. Mission accomplished. He may have football skills, but at this point, it is CLEAR that he is not mature enough to dedicate himself to being the leadership figure that the quarterback position in the NFL demands that you be. Play time is over and it's time to get to work. Being an NFL quarterback is your JOB. Manziel hasn't come to that realization yet. Unfortunately, the Browns will keep him around till the end of the year to save face and possibly get a low round draft pick for him in the off season. Keeping him around does NOT allow the Browns to move forward regardless of who the GM and coach is next year. All he will ever be, no matter where he goes, is a media distraction at this point. Dump him.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
This is a classic case of shooting yourself in the foot.
You punished the kid in front of the entire football world, now do the right thing for the five remaining games & lets see what he's got.

Coach P is continuing a huge disservice to this organization for the future by not properly evaluating JM so the team can make the right moves in Aprils draft.

I can't imagine any NFL team in this position taking this type of route.

The writing is on the wall, do really think your going to salvage anything by these type of decisions?

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
What's best for this team long term? Blow it up!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Look . Pet is going to be a very good Coach , wait for it , wait for it , at a High School some day !

Legend
Legend
Figured this would happen. I don't care either way ... Petting knows he's done and he wants to go out without giving into Johnny IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
Agree 100% But the Brown's staff and front office think that they are the smartest people in the room- how is that working out?

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
i feel you bro.

this is why i think Johnny should have started to begin with. him not starting from the getgo gave him that window to do things loosely off the field. if he was already starting, i feel he would have been so much more focused on/off the field in the off season and in practice a long time ago. at least we would know what he's about on the field by now. he would have been much more developed. this is a sucky situation to be in by now and i blame this sorry excuse for a coach for this mess.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Austin Davis

Link Copied to Clipboard