Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
My wife is currently in Houston Texas looking at a new job and place to live. I had to come back home wasn't feeling well enough to stay.

Here is our quandary... We have to make a choice between Tennessee or Houston or just stay in Ohio which neither one of us are fond of doing... I liked what I saw of Tennessee and it seemed a little slow which is fine with me but not so much with my wife.

Both Jobs pay pretty good with the edge going to the one in Texas with healthcare benefits..it would be damn inexpensive if we go to the hospital she will work for and have our healthcare needs met there...and by the looks of it there would be no reason to go out of network the hospital covers probably any issue that would come up.

The relocation liaison that works for the hospital took my wife to Lakes of Parkway and What my wife showed me looks great..However is there somewhere else better?? or should avoid?

I lived in Texas years ago and have family in northern Texas..they wasn't much help when I asked them about this area.

I guess what I'm asking is..what are negatives with the Houston area..Hurricanes?? come there often?? Is the water problem in Texas something to be concerned over?? Crime in the city bad? Would you feel ok with your spouse working in the city of Houston? Is it a better place to visit then live?

IDK what I'm looking for..just anybody that knows the area and could tell me something google doesn't or the liaison worker didn't/wont mention??

ANY info would be appreciated good bad whatever you've got would be appreciated. I think my wife wants the Texas job but she hasn't said definitively which way she wants to go.

FBHO71

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FBHO71
I guess what I'm asking is..what are negatives with the Houston area..Hurricanes??

Liberals.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
My advice is to make life easier and go where the wife wants while acting like you prefer it. cool

I used to work with a guy from Houston and he said it was so hot and humid the clouds would hang to the ground like curtains. He was glad to leave.

People tell me Tenn. is nice and the people friendly.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
I guess what I'm asking is..what are negatives with the Houston area..Hurricanes??

Liberals.

That would make FB the wisest man in Houston. cool

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I agree..happy wife happy life..but I have to live there to poke The heat has never bothered me but the water situation there does bother me.

Erik I hear you..I like my echo chamber for sure..I'm just not real familiar with this part of the country.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I told you man..I'm private to a fault so they won't even know I'm there I think brownie

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I Think Tennessee doesnt have state taxes.

Joe Thomas #73
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
No it doesnt..I liked Tennessee I'm just not sure my wife felt the same way superconfused

Plus my son is going to be at Fort Hood for 3 or 4 yrs and I think that is one reason why she is leaning towards Texas.

Last edited by FBHO71; 12/14/15 07:44 PM.
Legend
Legend
Well either way, as the Man of the house, you should have the final say.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Well either way, as the Man of the house, you should have the final say.

It is bud..I just like to make informed decisions is all..I've never been one to just jump into something without being 99% or more sure of what I am getting into...

Plus my wife has a cushy job here..We both have grown tired of Ohio and other openings in her company are in area's where no one could pay me enough to live there.

Legend
Legend
Every time I've been to Houston it's been a frog choker. When it wasn't raining you were dripping with sweat from the humidity. Tennessee has seasons. Houston has traffic. Tennessee speaks English, Houston you can still press 16 for English, I think.

#GMSTRONG
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
We could have already moved to Cleveland/Akron but we really want to get out of Ohio. Her company tried to get her to go to St Louis and rehab the buildings her company owns there and when she asked me about it..I just laughed and asked her if she really wanted to live in St Louis..She said no not really I was just asking what you thought.

Legend
Legend
Yes, I hear it is so hot...

SQUIRREL!

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Every time I've been to Houston it's been a frog choker. When it wasn't raining you were dripping with sweat from the humidity. Tennessee has seasons. Houston has traffic. Tennessee speaks English, Houston you can still press 16 for English, I think.

Yeah I like the seasons for sure..but the snow has gotten our last nerve..We both speak fluent Spanish so that shouldn't be a problem.

I dont think she grasps how hot the summers are in Texas and I can hear the complaining already superconfused

Legend
Legend
Now there is the mountains vs. the gulf, so are you landlubbers or do you like jelly fish?

#GMSTRONG
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Now there is the mountains vs. the gulf, so are you landlubbers or do you like jelly fish?

Well considering I just got stung by a damn jellyfish on our trip to Hawaii I guess I have to lean towards the land tongue

And my wife wouldnt even go in the ocean because she was scared of being attacked by sharks saywhat

Legend
Legend
Just remember even the worthless Titans moved out of Houston! wink

#GMSTRONG
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Just remember even the worthless Titans moved out of Houston! wink

I'll have to remember that line when I talk to her in a bit rofl

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Ok guys I have to grill my dags nightly steak and pototoes and carrots and talk with my wife.

If ANYONE has any info about this please write it. I'll check back in probably in the morning.

So I'm not ignoring your post's, just have to take care of my buddies nightly dinner routine and talk things over with my wife and then go to bed.

Again thanks to everyone who has responded and to any others who hopefully will respond.

FBHO71

Legend
Legend
Steak and tadders? Need an extra Dawg? tongue

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Steak and tadders? Need an extra Dawg? tongue

If we was neighbors I would gladly have you over...hey wait maybe that explains why my neighbor seems to visit all the time tongue

Have a great night 40..

Legend
Legend
I'd take Tennessee in a heartbeat, especially if you're in the mountains. Houston is every bit as hot and humid as people say. The night life is great in Houston if you're into that. I know people that live in Tennessee and they love it there. I know people that live in Houston, and it seems they only live there because they have to. I've been to both places more than once, and Tennessee wins hands down. Maybe some of the Tenn./Tex. dawgs can chime in here.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell

Liberals.

At least it isn't Austin.
There's that.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Ohio is better. Stay where you are.

No Craps Given
L
Legend
Legend
L
theres only one city in TX i'd consider and thats San Antonio, Depending on where you are talking about in TN, it could be good. I lived in brentwood and antioch while stationed at campbell for about 6 years.. TN has some great outdoors, but Nashville/memphis has some of the worst crime in the US and the blight in those areas is expansive. But rural tennessee and east tennesses is very nice

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I've lived in Houston and Houston area for 10 years

I'd say some of the negatives are the traffic is awful! I've learned multiple ways of getting around town but overall traffic is horrible

People also don't know how to drive in bad weather - Houston is low lying so if it rains bad it will flood... I've always lived in areas that don't flood but there are some areas that flood badly

Summer heat sucks... Humidity sucks...

There is a threat of hurricane - I've been through two in 10 years... First one didn't do a darn thing... Second knocked my power out for a week...

The housing market is really good - economy is really good... No state income tax (same as tenn)... Great restaurants... Lots of sports,culture,museums, and lots to do

There are some great areas to live but also some pretty crappy ones... Also some really really pricing areas of town

The medical community is one of the best in the world.. Some awesome hospitals down here

Is your wife downtown or in the med center? I worked in med center for 7 years... Greta place to work - once I got married with kids i transferred to a remote location.... I personally have enjoyed my ten years here - would love to move to Knoxville to be closer to family but I married a texas girl so I'm probably stuck

pm me with specific questions if you want

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BADdog
I Think Tennessee doesnt have state taxes.

Neither does texas

<><

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
well in a preppers doomsday scenarios the appalachian mountains are one of the safest places in the world to build a bug out to.

It's also a drivable distance if you have friends or family you want to visit in the future.

Jobs are jobs so long as the bills are paid. Go where you will be the happiest.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
My personal choices would be

1. Stay in Ohio

2. Tenn

3. See 1 and 2

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Don't be a dunce...follow the family, work, and money.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
V
1st String
1st String
V
Move to Texas. I lived there over 25 years. Leave Ohio, it is a dying state. Tennessee is an option but I will remind you that Davey Crockett left Tennessee for Texas and he was no slouch. I suspect you can make it there as well. smile

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Voleur
Move to Texas. I lived there over 25 years. Leave Ohio, it is a dying state. Tennessee is an option but I will remind you that Davey Crockett left Tennessee for Texas and he was no slouch. I suspect you can make it there as well. smile

Yes Davy Crockett went to Texas, and died.

#GMSTRONG
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Clem Austin would be a no go, well..just because.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Ohio is better. Stay where you are.

Eve we are just tired of Ohio..We couldve moved back to my wife's birthplace and chose not to.

It served its purpose for us and I think that purpose is over..Though the wife does come and go as she pleases with her job here and would be giving up a lot of job perks. Plus it pays well..so Idk.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
theres only one city in TX i'd consider and thats San Antonio, Depending on where you are talking about in TN, it could be good. I lived in brentwood and antioch while stationed at campbell for about 6 years.. TN has some great outdoors, but Nashville/memphis has some of the worst crime in the US and the blight in those areas is expansive. But rural tennessee and east tennesses is very nice

Yes I wouldnt have been hesitant if it was San Antonio..Houston ugh..idk.

The place in Tenn. is in Woodbury. I liked it there..my wife has "other" reasons for not jumping on it..like my youngest knucklehead son I think.

Legend
Legend
Get a job yourself and stop free loading

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Jay yes thats the one she is in the financial side a number cruncher so to speak..and it will be a change of pace from what she has been doing for the last 10yrs.

Lakes of Parkway is where she was looking at buying if we go..Know anything about this place? what surrounds it? I'll take you up on the pm I think.

I am worried about their water problem down there..Idk maybe I'm the one not real thrilled and I'm not sure for why.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
well in a preppers doomsday scenarios the appalachian mountains are one of the safest places in the world to build a bug out to.

It's also a drivable distance if you have friends or family you want to visit in the future.

Jobs are jobs so long as the bills are paid. Go where you will be the happiest.

Razor the prepper side of me said the same things you did in my head when i thought about the 2 places.

Money isnt the problem..that we have...now going where WE would be happiest is the quandary I'm in.

Thanks for your response.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Gm I like option 2....1 is growing on my last nerve for a multitude of reasons.

FBHO71 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Don't be a dunce...follow the family, work, and money.

I'm a little slow but no dunce tongue I think thats why she wants Texas is to be near her little boy..Family I have in northern Texas..money isnt an issue..but it is nice that she makes very good money..but money isnt really in our decision making process.

Thanks for the response.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Could use some information..

Link Copied to Clipboard