Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Can't hire him or anyone else until we fulfill the Rooney rule. I'd like to interview Horton.

Teryl Austin, who were are already scheduled to interview, is black.

I wonder if the bridge to Horton is burned.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: clwb419
I don't remember where I read that a coaching hire would come before GM. As such, I think Haslam or Brown already has an idea for the pairing. My guesses are either:

Caserio/McDaniels

Gase/Chris Polian with Peyton as well in some capacity

I doubt either of those guys would accept such a limited GM position.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Thanks, I read too many articles smile

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Austin will satisfy the Rooney Rule, but he's no token interview. He'll be a HC in the league before long.

As I google searched him....

We're interviewing Austin.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/...g-job/78245530/

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:
More coach notes: Browns spoke to Adam Gase tonight, they will interview Teryl Austin on Tues; Eagles interview Shurmur & Gase next 2 days.

Trying to get in on Gase early.

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/683870129277538304

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
You may be right. I'm not a fan of giving Brown control of the 53. It'll limit who we'll be able to hire, and we'll be in the same position again in 2 years. Or 1.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think the Browns want Gase or Gruden, but will get some no name guy that is the epitome of Brownsing...lol

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
I think the Browns want Gase or Gruden, but will get some no name guy that is the epitome of Brownsing...lol

I have the same feeling about who they want.

Legend
Legend
I don't remember where I read that a coaching hire would come before GM. As such, I think Haslam or Brown already has an idea for the pairing. My guesses are either:

Caserio/McDaniels

I don't think that Peyton is finished playing QB.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Can't hire him or anyone else until we fulfill the Rooney rule. I'd like to interview Horton.

Interviewing him is fine, but man, his defense was almost as bad as ours this year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
You may be right. I'm not a fan of giving Brown control of the 53. It'll limit who we'll be able to hire, and we'll be in the same position again in 2 years. Or 1.

Not only in the way that most think .... but teams do not even have to allow an interview to any of their staff if he would not have control of the 53 man roster.

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Interviewing him is fine, but man, his defense was almost as bad as ours this year.

Tennesee is 12th in total defense this year, the Browns are 27th. How is that almost as bad?

Last edited by Schadenfreude; 01/04/16 02:15 AM.
Legend
Legend
Going into today:

3rd most in TD passes allowed with 32 allowed. (we were 4th with 31 allowed)

20th in rushing TDs allowed with 11 allowed. (tied with the Browns)

Cleveland allowed 26.9 PPG. Tennessee allowed 26.2. Both are bottom 6 in the NFL.

Now Tennessee did allow 30 or so fewer yards than the Browns, but scoring is what matters in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
Mike Shanny could put out this dumpster fire.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I do not have quite the same dim view of our chances at hiring a quality coach as some do.
I believe that the past two coaching searches were been hampered by Joe Banner. Now, I like most of what Banner did here outside of how he handled Chudzinski and I am one who thinks that had we kept that staff together we would have been far better off today than we currently are. But, we seemed to only encounter an inability to land one of our top coaching prospects when Banner(Lombardi) came aboard. Prior to that you can go down the list and it seems that, while maybe not our number one target each year, most of our coaching hires where high profile/sought after coaches.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Obviously, someone will get hired to be the player personnel position and someone will be very excited to be named the head coach. Many of us will be cautiously optimistic.

But, this is a dumpster fire. Pure and simple dumpster fire.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Caserio/McDaniels

I don't think that Peyton is finished playing QB.

There is no way PM is coming here as now there is no spot in the organizational structure for his role...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
1st String
1st String
V
I noticed you did not add Mike Smith to the list. I know he had no ring but he was a winner.

Legend
Legend
I'm at a point where I have no solutions in mind. None.

I'm finding it a bit different the way Haslam wants to restructure the org with Sashi Brown as the top football guy that will have the GM (talent evaluator) and HC reporting to him directly.

Not sure if I like it or not. I guess if it works, I'll like it just fine. If not, well,, you know.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
All Pro
All Pro
Isn't it about time to start the sightings of Cowher in Cleveland?

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Millcreek Dawg
Isn't it about time to start the sightings of Cowher in Cleveland?

Doesn't he still own a home in Strongsville? smile

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Time for this

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
My hope is Urban Meyer.

Its time for him to coach the Browns and establish himself has on of te greatest coaches in history.

Legend
Legend
Browns may have made it harder to hire a G.M.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/04/browns-may-have-made-it-harder-to-hire-a-g-m/

Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2016, 12:34 AM EST

Apart from the reality that giving lawyer-turned-football-executive Sashi Brown final say over the roster will make the Cleveland G.M. job less attractive to G.M. candidates who are at the top of the G.M. industry, the decision to elevate Brown to the top non-coaching football position within the Browns will make it harder to hire someone currently under contract with another team.

Because Sashi Brown has control over the 53-man roster, the Cleveland G.M. position doesn’t qualify for the portion of the tampering policy that allows a team to hire as G.M. someone currently working for another team, without permission from that team.

Which means that if the Browns target an up-and-coming scout or director of college scouting or director of pro personnel or any other person under contract with another team, the other team can refuse to let the person be interviewed and hired.

It means that the Browns will either have to hire someone that another team doesn’t want to keep, or they’ll have to hire someone who currently isn’t employed.

Whether the Browns thought that specific wrinkle through remains to be seen. If they didn’t, it definitely could put a crimp in their plans for interviewing G.M. candidates.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think this article would fit perfectly in the Sashi Brown thread. Will you post it there, please? I would, but I don't wanna steal your find.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think this article would fit perfectly in the Sashi Brown thread. Will you post it there, please? I would, but I don't wanna steal your find.

No problem buddy!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
My hope is Urban Meyer.

Its time for him to coach the Browns and establish himself has on of te greatest coaches in history.

I thought I read something to the effect of he is not interested in the Browns or something like he could never see himself coaching the Browns...I'll see if I can find exactly what he said.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/04/browns-may-have-made-it-harder-to-hire-a-g-m/

Apart from the reality that giving lawyer-turned-football-executive Sashi Brown final say over the roster will make the Cleveland G.M. job less attractive to G.M. candidates who are at the top of the G.M. industry, the decision to elevate Brown to the top non-coaching football position within the Browns will make it harder to hire someone currently under contract with another team.

Because Sashi Brown has control over the 53-man roster, the Cleveland G.M. position doesn’t qualify for the portion of the tampering policy that allows a team to hire as G.M. someone currently working for another team, without permission from that team.

Which means that if the Browns target an up-and-coming scout or director of college scouting or director of pro personnel or any other person under contract with another team, the other team can refuse to let the person be interviewed and hired.

It means that the Browns will either have to hire someone that another team doesn’t want to keep, or they’ll have to hire someone who currently isn’t employed.

Whether the Browns thought that specific wrinkle through remains to be seen. If they didn’t, it definitely could put a crimp in their plans for interviewing G.M. candidates.

Doesn't really matter since anyone under contract won't give this team the time of day.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:
More coach notes: Browns spoke to Adam Gase tonight, they will interview Teryl Austin on Tues; Eagles interview Shurmur & Gase next 2 days.

Did you notice Sashi Brown's response to that Twitter comment? It's right below Mort's tweet.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FBHO71
My hope is Urban Meyer.

I thought I read something to the effect of he is not interested in the Browns or something like he could never see himself coaching the Browns...I'll see if I can find exactly what he said.

I'm pretty sure like a year or two ago he DID say he was interested. Very interested, if I remember correctly.

Now, a few weeks ago his name was brought up again. The press said the Browns had already talked to him, but he said they in fact had not talked to him.

I don't know if he would be currently interested as this team is perpetually losing team and it is very difficult to get any big names to want to deal with wanting to be part of that. Even with all the possible money, who with a name really wants to coach or be GM of the Browns? ...If history is any indication, and it is... (Sorry if I'm being a negative Nancy!)

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

Doesn't really matter since anyone under contract won't give this team the time of day.

I agree. That's a huge problem.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:

Did you notice Sashi Brown's response to that Twitter comment? It's right below Mort's tweet.

I'm guessing that wasn't Brown, the way it was written makes me think someone created an account with his name on it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
He's responding to tweets and needed to capitalize "FINAL SAY?" rolleyes

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My hope is Urban Meyer.

I'm pretty sure like a year or two ago he DID say he was interested. Very interested, if I remember correctly.

Now, a few weeks ago his name was brought up again. The press said the Browns had already talked to him, but he said they in fact had not talked to him.

I don't know if he would be currently interested as this team is perpetually losing team and it is very difficult to get any big names to want to deal with wanting to be part of that. Even with all the possible money, who with a name really wants to coach or be GM of the Browns? ...If history is any indication, and it is... (Sorry if I'm being a negative Nancy!)

3rd-and-20 I'm talking very recently...said he is not interested in the Browns...I'm just having a heck of time trying to remember where I saw/read the interview or him going on record.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I hope you are right, because if not, he is already making a fool out of himself.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I thought Urban was quoted as saying he had no interest in the NFL. Heard it during the ND game. Brian Kelly said the same thing.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Yeah thats a di..head move for sure...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I thought Urban was quoted as saying he had no interest in the NFL. Heard it during the ND game. Brian Kelly said the same thing.

That might be it...I'm not remembering..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Not saying anything new here, but I don't forsee this new "structure" as being problematic in the hiring of a new coach. It seems that the new guy should have a great deal of latitude in who he wants on the squad. More of an issue is the restrictions (or lack of latitude) on a new GM. We certainly won't be able to attract an established, well-respected guy under this structure...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah thats a di..head move for sure...

It's a joke/fake account.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Potential Head Coaching Candidates

Link Copied to Clipboard