Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1062320 01/07/16 03:27 PM
Moxdawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Am I the only one tired of Steven A Smith? Why does everything have to be about race... Tuesday he called Jason Garrett, Jerry's boy and says that's the only reason he still has a job. Says this is why black people are upset because "name me one black coach with this kind of relationship with their owner". He goes on if you want to Google it..
Today he says Lovie Smith was fired after 2 seasons but Jason Garrett and Jeff Fisher still have a job.. And he goes on!!!
Why is he allowed to say these things? He even called for black ownership!!
????
He is the epitome of a racist and a race baiter!
Looking forward to this discussion and I know from other posts there will be some on here that agree with him.

And yes I know I can turn him off but the question is why does he get to say these things not why do I continue to listen. Things go on all the time that you don't agree with but ignoring it doesn't make it go away!

Last edited by Moxdawg; 01/07/16 03:30 PM.

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Both him and the obnoxious white guy are just that... obnoxious. Can't stand either one, they're both jokes.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Moxdawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Yes. Skip Bayless is annoying.. Yes he says annoying things all the time.. But he isn't blaming everything on race... Heck.. He's annoying on this issue because he sets there and agrees with Smith

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Moxdawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Steven A Smith can't say a single sentence without brings race into the equation... Black Folks should be upset! Your people ( white people) should be upset about this... Cause there's white coordinators not getting a chance... How about we drop the race altogether... As long as we constantly separate races they will remain separated

Last edited by Moxdawg; 01/07/16 03:38 PM.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
They're there to create ratings. Skip Bayless pretty much got himself that job by calling Troy Aikman gay for a decade and a half.

Legend
Legend
his thing with chip kelly was dumb.

as much as i like lovie smith, this was even more dumb.

one thing that boggled my mind was how he sat there and agreed with shady mccoy about kelly getting rid of all the black players.

the only thing going through my head was "he replaced you with a more expensive black guy...so what are you crying about?"

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
They're there to create ratings. Skip Bayless pretty much got himself that job by calling Troy Aikman gay for a decade and a half.

This x100

He said today that Griffey Jr. shouldn't have been a unanimous vote because he never won a World Series.

Swish #1062351 01/07/16 03:50 PM
Moxdawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I do listen to the show alot and ask myself, why am I listening to this crap. But I simply can't understand why he's allowed to say some things

Moxdawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
bet he wouldn't call someone gay today and keep his job.. Bet no white guy on this planet could say the things Steven A Smith says but reversed and keep his job, or for that matter ever work again.. Tuesday he said if more white guys was like Skip, he (Smith) wouldn't be called a race baiter all the time

Legend
Legend
because as stupid as they are......

they are still entertaining.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1062364 01/07/16 03:58 PM
Moxdawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Swish
his thing with chip kelly was dumb.

as much as i like lovie smith, this was even more dumb.

one thing that boggled my mind was how he sat there and agreed with shady mccoy about kelly getting rid of all the black players.

the only thing going through my head was "he replaced you with a more expensive black guy...so what are you crying about?"

I also like Lovie Smith.. I wouldn't be upset if we got him.. Even though I have someone else in mind I want to get the job.. But if they hired Lovie, I'd be alright with it. I rather have Lovie then Hue or McDaniels

Last edited by Moxdawg; 01/07/16 03:59 PM.

Legend
Legend
I agree with you that a white guy wouldn't get away with saying this stuff.

Look, everybody is aware of my post on EE.

But I leave it in EE. sports and such is sanctuary for me. So when Smith constantly plays the card in sports, especially in a league dominated by blacks, I shake my head. Sports is suppose to be a place where we leave all the real world nonsense behind and just stick to talking about the game, the players, contracts, whatever.

Not all this other crap.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1062373 01/07/16 04:23 PM
Moxdawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I agree with you that a white guy wouldn't get away with saying this stuff.

Look, everybody is aware of my post on EE.

But I leave it in EE. sports and such is sanctuary for me. So when Smith constantly plays the card in sports, especially in a league dominated by blacks, I shake my head. Sports is suppose to be a place where we leave all the real world nonsense behind and just stick to talking about the game, the players, contracts, whatever.

Not all this other crap.
Appreciate your comments..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tuesday he called Jason Garrett, Jerry's boy and says that's the only reason he still has a job. Says this is why black people are upset because "name me one black coach with this kind of relationship with their owner"

I'd like to ask him how Marvin Lewis kept his job all these years. 2 winning seasons in his 1st 8. 0-6 in the playoffs despite a very talented roster.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
E
Legend
Legend
E
"name me one black coach with this kind of relationship with their owner".

Marvin Lewis

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Stephen A. is wrong. This is just the nature of the NFL-- win or get fired. 2 years is the new 3-5 years although this is probably not a good thing. Oh and I know the Glazers were cash strapped some time back and even if that is not the case anymore, I doubt they wanted to go out of their way to buy out the last couple years of Lovie Smith's contract. The .250 winning percentage in TB couldn't have had anything to do with it-- had to be about race. Hiring Lovie and Raheem Morris some years back was all one giant smokescreen. (eyeroll)

With that said, it does seem like a bad decision by Tampa Bay. It's just the same bad decision/impatience that a lot of teams are showing.

edit: There's also something to be said about the lousy defense and Lovie's arguably outdated Tampa 2 scheme. I'm sure it was a tough decision for the Bucs because Lovie has proven to be a solid coach and it's far from a guarantee that their next HC will be as competent. But that's all football stuff-- bringing race into it is comical.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/07/in-todays-nfl-few-coaches-get-time-to-build-a-team/

Quote:
In 2014, seven new NFL coaches were hired. Four of those coaches have made the playoffs, and the other three have been fired.

That’s life for a coach in today’s NFL: You’d better win quickly, because you won’t get time to build a team slowly.

The news that the Buccaneers had fired head coach Lovie Smith came as a surprise on Wednesday night, but maybe it shouldn’t have been: Smith has coached two seasons and hasn’t made the playoffs, so perhaps we should have expected him to have the same fate as the other two coaches from the class of 2014 who haven’t made the playoffs, Ken Whisenhunt and Mike Pettine.

In the coaching class from 2013, there’s been similar turnover: Rob Chudzinski was fired after one year, Marc Trestman was fired after two years and Chip Kelly was fired in his third year. Bruce Arians and Andy Reid remain, but that’s no surprise as they’re in the playoffs. It is a bit surprising that Mike McCoy and Gus Bradley are still on the job, although they both may have to make the playoffs next year to avoid getting fired in their fourth seasons.

The class of 2012 had seven new coaches, and five — Greg Schiano, Romeo Crennel, Joe Philbin, Dennis Allen and Mike Mularkey — have already been fired. A sixth, Chuck Pagano, was nearly fired despite winning three playoff games in his four years. The seventh, Jeff Fisher, is safe despite failing to make the playoffs in four years. If a nuclear bomb were dropped on the Edward Jones Dome, the only survivors would be cockroaches and Jeff Fisher’s coaching career.

From the 2011 class, just two of the eight coaches hired — Ron Rivera and Jason Garrett — remain. Pat Shurmur, John Fox, Leslie Frazier, Hue Jackson, Jim Harbaugh and Mike Munchak are all gone; Fox was fired after a 12-4 season.

So that’s the state of coaching in the NFL today: It’s almost impossible to keep your job for more than a couple years if you don’t win. Owners like to pay lip service to concepts like building a strong foundation for long-term success, but owners are usually too impatient to find out if coaches are going to succeed in the long run or not. In the NFL you win right away, or you’re fired.

Legend
Legend
His NBA rants are just as bad. He gives Marc Jackson all the credit for what Golden State is even though everyone knows he was holding them back.

Legend
Legend
He's a weak, wanna-be TV equivalent of a shock-jock. He has an audience that the schtick resonates with, which is why it continues.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
mox, you watched it, right?

i think the only thing i agreed with was when herm edwards explained how they use guys to check the box for the the rooney rule.

that was eye opening.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Today he says Lovie Smith was fired after 2 seasons but Jason Garrett and Jeff Fisher still have a job..

I think this is a good point, even if you remove race from the equation.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Moxdawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:
Today he says Lovie Smith was fired after 2 seasons but Jason Garrett and Jeff Fisher still have a job..

I think this is a good point, even if you remove race from the equation.
, I think if an owner wants to keep a losing coach for 50 yrs it's his prerogative

S
Legend
Legend
S
There's a reason he and skip are on the middle of the day when the majority of this country is working...

Also, to question if a black coach has that kind of relationship with their owner. What coach does at all? Mike Tomlin has good standing in Pittsburgh, as does Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati. Most of these coaches don't, regardless of color. These guys are hired and fired. We're not the only team in the league that fires coaches often. It's like these guys don't even follow sports.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I don't watch or listen to either Steven A. or Skip much, but when I do..............I think Skip is far worse than Steven A.

Steven A. goes on rants that are stupid, but he does make good points. Skip Bayless is a hateful little man who gained a lot of notoriety for his reporting on SMU cheating back in the day of Dickerson and James. I hate that little twerp.

Also, I have to say this..................I am really tired of the race card being used to punish the innocent and defend the guilty, but racism still exists, and it certainly exists in the sporting world.

Swish #1062467 01/07/16 08:40 PM
Legend
Legend
mox, you watched it, right?

i think the only thing i agreed with was when herm edwards explained how they use guys to check the box for the the rooney rule.

that was eye opening.

I'm sure it still happens today too.

Say the Bucs have extended feelers to Nick Saban, and he said that he would be extremely interested in coming to Tampa Bay to take over their team. (just as an example) The Bucs feel, from their conversations, that they have about a 90% chance of hiring him, but they still are required to interview at least 1 minority candidate.

How serious is that interview going to be? Could anyone blame the team, in that situation, for conducting a token interview, because they have to in order to hire the coach they really want? What other kind of interview could it really be?

Now don't get me wrong. I think that it is ridiculous that a league with so many Black players had almost exclusively White head coaches not all that long ago. I like that the rule, while I am against quotas in general, this rule does, at least, allows these qualified assistants to go through the interview process, and learn how to manage that kind of situation. It also may help them find out if there are skills that they can improve upon, that would increase their chances of becoming a head coach in the future. I think that there are a lot of positives that come from the mandate, but there are times when it is a complete joke.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Moxdawg
...the question is why does he get to say these things not why do I continue to listen.

He gets to say these things because you continue to listen.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He tries to be "provocative" but is just a blowhard.

Ratings and opinions are more important than facts in the middle of the working day when most are not around.

I am glad I live on the West Coast and miss the crap that is on ESPN in the afternoon.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend

+1

It's their "move". They have nothing else to say. Their show is an immediate channel turn if its on. I don't know when the last time I watch either of them talk for longer than 2-3 seconds (maybe 2+ years).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Years ago, I used to really enjoy SAS's commentary on NBA broadcasts. I'm not home during the day and don't watch the show with Bayless (who I really don't like). Sounds like he's in the "controversy for ratings" camp now. For a while I followed Smith on Twitter, and there were some pretty funny threads following his rants.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's about as dumb as asking why there aren't more black people playing hockey or white people playing basketball.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Steven A. Smith

Link Copied to Clipboard