BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Right click, open in new tab.

Discuss

Legend
Legend
discuss what? He's a good player who went to a team that actually knows how to coach and scheme.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I always thought it was a mistake for Farmer to let him go ]without a contract extension.

Farmer really set the Browns back with his garbage drafts and letting Browns player's leave in free agency.

Legend
Legend
O'Neil probably would of had him covering TEst and Slot WRs..

If we switch to a 4-3, I'll be disappointed in letting him walk, as a 3-4 OLB HERE, I was never that impressed with him, he was good, not a game changer.. not that thats a bad thing.

He does however benefit from being good on another team, which to some means he's great.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
He went to a different team, with different coaches, a different approach, and different players around him.

It happens. Barnidge had only a handful of catches when he came to the Browns, and this year, IIRC, he led the team in receiving.

Sometimes a guy is just a better fit with a different team, in a different situation.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Jabal Sheard, just another player that Farmer did not resign..

Teams like the Patriots just love it when bottom feeders like the Browns with inexperienced management, decide to let good quality players walk away.

Rubin, going to Seattle, a starter on their defensive line, and Farmer saw no value in keeping him.

Two of our own players that management refused to resign, who helped their teams make it to the playoffs.

Add Hoyer to that list too...players who the Browns management did not want here and gave them the boot.

I believe Browns fans better get used to it too...cause our analytics guy is not going to give a damn that the Browns drafted a guy...if the numbers say that player goes...he will be gone.

Haslam needs to explain how he is going build the Browns via the draft when his management folks like Farmer refuse to resign them?

Obviously, Haslam agreed with every move Farmer made because who did Farmer answer to?...Haslam.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Haslam needs to explain how he is going build the Browns via the draft when his management folks like Farmer refuse to resign them?

Farmer doesn't work here anymore. So theres that.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Jabal was good here and we should have found a way to keep him

.... and place for him to contribute more on the field

But that's a theme our players have complained about

we should expect next year they won't be able to say "it's too complicated - I am out of position"

I will be rooting for him (and Phil Taylor if he ever gets another job) class of '11 (Jordan and Buster too)

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

mac...

Why did you not respond to the questions I asked about the claims you made regarding Haslem's odd, bizarre and skewed from normal behavior? I answered to every one of your points as you ticked them off in your post but you ignored that totally, as you often do, and focused on the one thing where you think you have a point, you don't.

Based partly on our history of discussions over the years, and in the spirit of the Browns new organizational set-up, I've used analytics to determine the likely hood that you would respond to me explaining exactly what you mean, using examples, of Haslem's odd, bizarre and abnormal behavior.

My analytics says it won't happen.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I have to say that I am a bit surprised by how well Sheard played this season. I thought he did some good things here, but I thought many overrated him.

Guess I was wrong.......

M
Legend
Legend
M
I remember when Pettine said Sheard was supposed to be his surprise player to break out in 2014. Unfortunately, he completely came out flat.

I don't know the snap allocation, but my guess is Sheard's success in the 43 alignment allowed this recognition because he did struggle in the 34 when we switched to it in 2013.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Swish
discuss what? He's a good player who went to a team that actually knows how to coach and scheme.

We would have dropped him in coverage which would have destroyed his production. I'm glad he went to NE, nothing but disaster here.

As Swish said, they run a good defensive scheme with solid coaches to execute/teach it and it's been consistent. No shock to me, I thought he was always a good player in certain schemes.

M
Legend
Legend
M
pblack's "Drunken Nut" name calling stock dips lower and lower.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
THANK YOU SWISH!!
Thats all it is!!.. The Browns were trying to use a 4-3 edge pass rushing DE and make him a 3-4 end or a stand up LB. Just dumb and Dumber. Then the Browns wonder why we don't have a passh rush. BTW - A.Rubin is playing alright for SEA and the WR Willie Snead was pretty good for N.O!!..

Idiots, Pettine and Farmer!!

V
Legend
Legend
V
I hate to break this to you guys........but New England plays both a 4-3 and 3-4. They are listed as a 4-3 team, but they don't prefer it.

Their opponent determines whether they primarily play a 3-4 or a 4-3 in each game.

Legend
Legend
that's fine, but they rarely have, if at all, players playing out of their position.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
That is true. On the other hand, has anyone ever considered that having talented players around you is beneficial because they take a lot of the attention away from you?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Sorry Vers,
One thing about N.E is that they really do not get caught up in a so-called scheme. They try to figure out what D or offense will exploit the other teams weakness. So yes, there are games when they line up 3-4 a majority of the time OR 4-3. They try to take away the opponents strength.

But they use their players, like Sheard to their strenghs!

Legend
Legend
nobody has denied that.

but talent lacking or not, in order to maximize the talent we do have on the roster, we need them playing in position.

you play to the players strength. We tried to convert a guy who never played OLB into one, then wondered why he had a lackluster season.

it's like having a RB go to the FB position and wonder why he isn't capable of blocking.

Last edited by Swish; 01/08/16 08:52 PM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
pblack's "Drunken Nut" name calling stock dips lower and lower.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's good.........I probably should have typed in: "j/c:" I intended that for everyone and not just you.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, if you are correct, we should see a gigantic increase in our win total next year.

Legend
Legend
sure, if our coaches play to the players strength.

so far since 99, we haven't seen any consistency to that yet.

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
I know, he's the only one who has been successful. Blind squirrel, indeed.

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Jc

This is the legacy of the Cleveland Browns. To trade away/dump our best players. And then wonder why we are weak.

Our talent isn't bad.

Our coaches and schemes SUCK.

No Craps Given
L
Legend
Legend
L
When we were desperate at OL, botch let roman oban walk. He went on to start at LT for the Bucs when they won it all.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Jc

This is the legacy of the Cleveland Browns. To trade away/dump our best players. And then wonder why we are weak.

Our talent isn't bad.

Our coaches and schemes SUCK.

If Jabaal Sheard is one of your "best players", then IMO you're not going to be that great regardless..

He is a good peice on a good team.

Lets not claim he's anything more than that.

Legend
Legend
Good job Jabal. He is playing great this year AND he is having fun and enjoying winning. I'm happy for him, he's a good kid.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I always liked Sheard, he had a good motor and was strong at the point of attack.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Yeah I'm happy for him too. He's a good person to have on your team.

For those who claim this was a Farmer decision.
Question?

Do we have an article or presser where Farmer revealed this. Could it have been that Sheard was a FA and we were not on the top of his list? If it was definitely a Browns decision was it a Scheiner one regarding the purse strings? Pettine one regarding fitting in his system?

I mean Farmer is gone - there is nothing for me defend him...right PB this is where I Piss on our HC/GM/Player no longer a Brown claimed by you and several others.

I've read an article in private as it is from a paid site and not privy for this board. That I don't know is true or not but suggests that if we gave Farmer the keys to the car we would have had a pretty different Roster in 2014 and 2015. One of which when I look back I would be MAN we should have taken this guy instead of Gilbert and it was the #1 guy on Farmer's board for the entire draft but not taken. Cause Pettine wanted a CB and Farmer supposedly had two other CBs ahead of Gilbert...but Gilbert was specifically desired?

I'm not looking to bury Pettine. But the Browns would have been different if Pettine coached and Farmer brought in the players. Once Banner left, like him or not - it created a void in leadership. Without that leadership we ended up with 2 heads not working as one!

SO is Farmer really this piece of Crap?

jmho and this is not directed to any individual...well I won't lie, my juices started churning after reading Mac.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
tab, most of that information was posted on this forum, so people are aware of it.

I think it's dangerous to automatically believe something when there is no name attached to the quotes. Furthermore, the apparent source was someone who was a friend of Farmer.

I am NOT going to buy into every good move was made by Farmer and every bad move was mandated by Pet. Sorry, that is unrealistic. At the end of the day, Farmer was the GM and he was responsible for the 53 man roster.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I think it's dangerous to automatically believe something when there is no name attached to the quotes.

I'm not as automatic as you might think. Why its tough to communicate on a message board.

Why I said this in the previous post.

That I don't know is true or not

I didn't claim it as 100% fact. Most people read articles and never put a disclaimer in... I did.

Didn't know the article was posted here.

One thing is almost a year ago I read about Farmer getting Gilbert for Pettine and Manziel was pretty much Haslam's call although we knew he was one of three on Farmer's list.

Now the article recently read is from quotes from an interviewed person who I think worked and liked Farmer a lot. Named or not he could be biased. But these were facts being quoted about the draft.

Since it is open - suggesting that the BROWNS board made by Farmer and the scouts had LB Mack as their overall #1 talent and who they would have taken if they played their board.

It was suggested that there was a distinct philosophical difference between the two HC/GM on building a team. Farmer Inside out and Pettine Outside in. This was pretty evident and we heard this more than once. That part I think is 99% believable. What confuses me is that I've been discussing football for years with you and you appear to me to be an Inside out person and definitely not a fan of focusing on the exterior small guys of football.

I've read articles in the past suggesting some of these things. But I was more a fan of Pettine than Farmer and was a little biased to believe it.

Now I am at least wondering was it all Farmer as people suggest. Did Shanny want Tate? The one that I just don't have a clue on is Bowe. Just an enigma and a mistake and I bought into it lock stock and barrel and was stupid for it...I admit it.

The view of Farmer is he is against WR. I think he explains his philosophy overall on exterior players not being the key. But I can believe the article that he wanted either Sammy White or Odell Beckham Jr. As not a NEED but probably Best Player Available.

I cannot say this is all true 100% but now my door is open to think maybe he actually was a good evaluator.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

If we switch to a 4-3, I'll be disappointed in letting him walk, as a 3-4 OLB HERE, I was never that impressed with him, he was good, not a game changer.. not that thats a bad thing.

He does however benefit from being good on another team, which to some means he's great.

Man, we ran a 4 man front at least 80% of the time THIS year.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

Who was on it?

When I think of a TRUE 4-3 D Line, I think of the NYGs when they had Strahan/Osi/JPP as their bookends..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

No we did not.

While we ran a ton of nickle, (maybe even close to 80%). It was usually in an odd front.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
One player I really like and Browns ditched him. I don't what your point is with this. He did well with NE, of course, they know how to use players, correctly. He is a heck of guy off the field. I am glad he is with a good team.

We are terrible
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BpG

Right click, open in new tab.

Discuss

I prefer Control + T.

Legend
Legend
Mouse wheel click.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Drag the image into the tab section.

B
Legend
Legend
B
No matter how it is done, just another tidbit of info that points to why the last braintrust was sent packing.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jabal Sheard graded out as a top 10 edge defender.

Link Copied to Clipboard