No, I'm not quite sure how that's a good comparison.
I get it that it would seem an armed teacher would be some sort of deterrent. But you also have to admit that there is now a possibility of that gun being used in a wrongful manner.
Both possibilities are equally low.
------------------------------ *In Baker we trust* -------------------------------
This isn't the gun's fault, this is a kid that shouldn't have been handling a gun. He very CLEARLY doesn't know the first thing about gun safety. This falls on his family/parents.
Sorry if that sounds overly callous, but it's truth. Accidentally shot himself in the head? There's no reason for that to have ever been possible.
What the narrative there is, is this: he took the gun out to show it off to his friends. He took it out loaded. He then, at some point, pointed it at or near his head, with the safety off, and pulled the trigger.
There are so many no-no's in there it's just crazy.
Browns is the Browns
... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.
Yep..not callous at all...taught my kids very young about firearms and the does and donts...and to always treat it as its always loaded..and if they was ever at a friends house and someone pulled one out/found one...dont mess with it and leave..dont just walk but run out of the house like your life depended on it.
Most teachers I've ever met wouldn't ever even own a gun, must less have a daily CCW. Typically, at least in these parts, a VERY liberal mindset among them.
I'm all for them carrying if they're qualified and perhaps take some CQB courses or something, but there are some constraints that I'd like to see such as holster type, lock boxes and/or trigger guards in the classroom, etc..
Browns is the Browns
... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.
I shouldnt blanket statement but man the ones I knew had guns and their thought process and abilities was atrocious to say the least...I'm just not in favor of teachers carrying and I dont think Id change my mind about that..
I should clarify my point...I was feeding my dogs and was thinking about my statement...I think there are better ways to protect the schools.
I am in favor of concealed carry on college campuses...but not a teacher in a elementary..middle..or high school. Would the armed teacher be breaking up fights in the classroom? or anywhere else in the school...idk man it just seems like a problem waiting to happen.
I'd be more apt to get behind armed security and more stringent measures for people being able to just walk in the schools.
There has to be a better answer then arming teachers..JMHO
"I'd be more apt to get behind armed security and more stringent measures for people being able to just walk in the schools."
-I have been pushing this for years now but most people on here cry.
That's happened in many schools and it hasn't stopped. Even at Columbine, they had armed guards and the shootings still happened. It won't stop the shootings.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.
"I'd be more apt to get behind armed security and more stringent measures for people being able to just walk in the schools."
-I have been pushing this for years now but most people on here cry.
That's happened in many schools and it hasn't stopped. Even at Columbine, they had armed guards and the shootings still happened. It won't stop the shootings.
They had an armed guard who was outside, watching out for smokers at the time. Not what I'm calling for at all. I want a dedicated security officer to cover security, armed with more than a sidearm against a body armor wearing, rifle wielding attacker. The armed guard at columbine DID engage in gunfire with Eric Harris.
"I'd be more apt to get behind armed security and more stringent measures for people being able to just walk in the schools."
-I have been pushing this for years now but most people on here cry.
That's happened in many schools and it hasn't stopped. Even at Columbine, they had armed guards and the shootings still happened. It won't stop the shootings.
They had an armed guard who was outside, watching out for smokers at the time. Not what I'm calling for at all. I want a dedicated security officer to cover security, armed with more than a sidearm against a body armor wearing, rifle wielding attacker. The armed guard at columbine DID engage in gunfire with Eric Harris.
It still won't stop it. The Schools need to follow through and strictly apply the rules and regulations they have on their books right now.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.
"I'd be more apt to get behind armed security and more stringent measures for people being able to just walk in the schools."
-I have been pushing this for years now but most people on here cry.
That's happened in many schools and it hasn't stopped. Even at Columbine, they had armed guards and the shootings still happened. It won't stop the shootings.
They had an armed guard who was outside, watching out for smokers at the time. Not what I'm calling for at all. I want a dedicated security officer to cover security, armed with more than a sidearm against a body armor wearing, rifle wielding attacker. The armed guard at columbine DID engage in gunfire with Eric Harris.
It still won't stop it. The Schools need to follow through and strictly apply the rules and regulations they have on their books right now.
But hide, cry and pray hasn't served us well to date.
The Schools need to follow through and strictly apply the rules and regulations they have on their books right now.
You know, I find this comment rather odd. When proponents for gun right said this same thing about the current gun laws, (Before Obamas executive order), we were told how wrong it was.
Now those who propose our rights of the second amendment be infringed upon, they use the exact same logic.
Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.
Yeah I dont think the answer is "well armed guards didnt stop columbine so forget it we just wont use them"...I just feel like a lot more could be done to prevent crazies from walking right into a school...Armed guards is good starting point...where their only job is to patrol the school...and respond to emergencies.
And I also think schools should do a better job of who they let in the school during the day...and look at ways to reinforce their classroom doors...I saw some guys patent that slid over the bracket that pivots the door and something that went at the bottom of the door...but I hadnt heard anymore about it or if his idea took off and accepted.
There is a lot that can be done without arming teachers...now if we are willing to do what is necessary to protect the schools and or stand up to whatever parent/person who sues because they dont like what the new rules would be...is another story
The Schools need to follow through and strictly apply the rules and regulations they have on their books right now.
You know, I find this comment rather odd. When proponents for gun right said this same thing about the current gun laws, (Before Obamas executive order), we were told how wrong it was.
Now those who propose our rights of the second amendment be infringed upon, they use the exact same logic.
Ironic isn't it? As it flew right over your head.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.
I feel a lot of it has to do with where you live. I went to a very suburban school north of Huber Heights. Bethel Local Schools in Miami County. By most standards, it was a rather conservative school district and the hiring of teachers was very much along those lines.
Most of the teachers I had at the time, I would have trusted to be carrying at school. Now where some of my grandchildren went to school, not so much. My wife is from northern California and a very small town. She feels the same about teachers carrying as I do.
But you see, that's based on our experience and where we went to school. I'm sure that a more urban setting could be entirely different. The mind set of any given school district and their hiring policies may heavily influence the opinion.
That's why I understand both sides of this debate. Most of your opinion on the subject will be heavily influenced by your personal experiences. That's why my opinion is that each school district and parents in that district should have the right to decide this matter on a case by case basis.
I'm quite sure that there are districts that teachers carrying guns would be beneficial, just as I'm sure in some districts it would be a disaster.
Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.
It didn't fly over my head at all. I believe you are simply blind to the irony of it all.
If the current gun control laws had been sternly enforced in the first place, there wouldn't have been a need for the president to pull a power play.
You are using the exact same logic on schools to strictly follow their policies.
You see, since what Obama did will solve nothing, people will say, "Well, since that didn't work, we need to do more." And it will be continuing cycle of further restrictions and laws that make anyone exercising their 2nd amendment rights either a criminal or make it such an expense that it will be almost impossible to afford for many.
You propose closely following the protocol for schools and gun owners proposed enforcing current gun laws. Same thing.
Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.
You are using the exact same logic on schools to strictly follow their policies.
I know. That's why I used it.
If you can say that expanded background checks for gun purchases won't help keep guns out of the hands of lunatics and won't do anything to stop the mass shootings.....I can say that armed guards and armed teachers in schools won't stop the mass shootings either.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.
Kind of funny, saw a meme on social media of Obama with all of the kids behind him signing his gun laws.. below it was a picture of Hitler who always used kids as photo props as well.. and the left lost their ever loving mind.
Interesting how it's ok to compare Trump to Hitler, Bush to Mao, etc.. but compare Obama to somebody and it's out of line..
Just leaving this here as it seems the most appropos place for it right now. Some pretty disturbing items in there in regard to the politicos blatant disinterest in actually solving any issues.
Browns is the Browns
... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.
I agree with that a ton...I went to schools that had security checking you at the school entrence and randomly searched your locker and bags...When I finished my senior year in a different city..I was culture shocked...it was much different then what I was used to..but it was for only a couple months and it was still predominately ethnic..
And when the wife and I had kids...I tried to keep them in a diversified school concerning the racial make up..but ended getting them in a predominately white school for reasons I wont get into...I had to protect my children and the school/area we was living wasnt so good for them.
By the time they hit High school I wanted to put them in private or Military school but met resistance from the kids about private school and I got a lot of resistance from the wife about putting them in military school.
All in all they turned out fine as far as being educated though my youngest had me wondering...but my older boy flourished and in some respects I'm glad things went the way they did in life.
Even at Columbine, they had armed guards and the shootings still happened. It won't stop the shootings.
There was one armed guard on the premises, sitting in his patrol car eating lunch in the parking lot when the shootings began. He did engage Harris, diverting his attention and allowing some students to escape. This is a fascinating read on the timeline of that day.
...no problems with Syrian refugees (we've now taken in no fewer than 8 families in the last 6 months). No problems with Syrian immigrants. No problem with Lebanese immigrants. No problems with Egyptian immigrants. No problems with Iranian immigrants... No problems with [insert name of scary Middle Eastern country here]...
..in over 70 years.
In fact, the only violence associated with these groups has been with them as victims (defaced religious centers, beatings on the street, vandalized property, etc). Good old Americans did these things. And there has never- NEVER been a single instance of violent retaliation by these groups.
But don't take my word for it. Ask any other Dawg who lives near here. They probably can't come up with a single instance, either- because it just doesn't happen.
So (to all My Dawgs)... which example will resonate deeper within you? The one that incites fear, or the one that serves as an example of what America has always been about? Your answer will tell you exactly what you need to know about yourself.