Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1A.Josh Gordon Cleveland Browns

I'm not sure what you mean with that. Could you explain?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Looks like he's saying "getting Gordon back is like having an extra first round pick." I don't particularly agree with that just because I don't think we can rely on him (and don't think it's likely he's here past this season) but that's what it would appear he meant.

Legend
Legend
conversely, it's not like we know that we can rely on ANY of our first round picks, ever... so it's kind of a push

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Looks like he's saying "getting Gordon back is like having an extra first round pick." I don't particularly agree with that just because I don't think we can rely on him (and don't think it's likely he's here past this season) but that's what it would appear he meant.

Exactly, but what 1st rd. Picks are a sure thing? superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I would like to see the selection of Bosa with the 2nd pick and not trade out of this pick. With the 32nd pick if N Spence is still on the board then I hope that he is the next selection. Having two you bookends that can come off of the ball like the duo does in Denver would cause a lot of problems for teams. You still have a young Shelton in the middle and you would have a young core for some time. I do not think that we are selecting a quarterback with the 2nd pick and all of this talk is to get the Cowboys to possibly bite if they don't like the deal that the office will put together for Manziel. For those that think that RG3 will move to Dallas I just don't see Washington trading within their own division whether they like RG or not. Personally, I can see management taking a chance at RG if they are able to get a pick or some picks for Manziel from the cowboys and sending gilbert along with the picks to Washington to offset giving up too much for RG.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Welcome to the board.

If the evaluators decide that Bosa can stand up and maintain his top pick play, then Bosa on the strong side and Spence on the weak side is very appealing. I would hope in this situation we would have our RT situation solved in free agency, either by retaining Schwartz (ideal) or picking up 1) Cordy Glenn or 2) Andre Smith. There are enough Day 3 wideouts that I like that I would take two elite edge rushers to most improve our team. I'm just not sure that Bosa is as effective at OLB as he is at DE. At 6'6", maybe we make him a 5-technique like Watt and have Spence outside? I get the feeling Bosa would have no issue adding 20 pounds, medically enhanced or otherwise. I could see it working.

RGIII is going to be cut by Washington, as he is due $12 million if he is not cut. Even a team signing him in free agency probably would not want to give him $12 million for a season.

I am open to the idea of signing RGIII if it's top end backup money to low end starter money. And if his injuries check out OK.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
thanks for the welcome CleveSteve:yeah if RG is released then, I cannot see any team offering up that King's ransom that he was getting. I do like the loaded contract that you can put out there. I just want the Browns to select a player that can come in there and make a difference and not select someone because they play a certain position. Too many times previous front office people have went there and it never materialized to what we actually needed. For my eyes, there isn't one quarterback in this draft that is heads above the other quartebacks which leaves me wanting to grab someone that can come in and make an impact. Just because he is a quarterback doesn't mean that i want him with the 2nd pick. Talent wise, if a player is the 17th best player then, I don't want to just draft him when we have other obvious needs. I would hope that the front office would make a selection based off of what we need moreso than the sexy pick.

V
Legend
Legend
V
It will probably never happen, but the thought process is good.

Look at Denver w/Ware and Miller. They dominate games. They made Brady--who is perhaps the best qb of all-time and who gets rid of quick---look really bad last week.

Here is something that a lot of people don't think about. QB play is the most important thing, but when you get past the Wildcard Weekend and look at the remaining playoff teams, they almost always have good quarterbacks. Then, it comes down to who can protect the passer and who can pressure the passer.

Having a good OL is huge and having outstanding pass rushers is also huge.

Nice contribution, Maywood.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
I traded down twice. First trade was pick 2 to San Diego for pick 3 and their 2nd and 3rd. The 2nd trade was pick 3 to Atlanta for pick 17, their 2nd and next years first. I don't love the top of the draft in this class and the Browns have lots of holes so I felt trading down would be a good move if a team will over pay, like in these two trades.

Round 1 Pick 17 (ATL): Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
Round 2 Pick 1: Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame
Round 2 Pick 4 (S.D.): Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
Round 2 Pick 19 (ATL): Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State
Round 3 Pick 2: Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia
Round 3 Pick 3 (S.D.): Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor
Round 4 Pick 1: Jack Allen, C, Michigan State
Round 5 Pick 2: Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State
Round 6 Pick 1: Travis Feeney, OLB, Washington
Round 7 Pick 2: Daryl Worley, CB, West Virginia

Your Future Picks:
2017 Round 1 Pick (ATL)
2017 Round 1 Pick
2018 Round 1 Pick

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
thanks for the compliment Vers, and i just would like to see us draft some impactful, elite players and not just a bunch of good players. I do believe that your quarteback has to be elite in order to compete, but i we need to include elite players in other positions that can make a difference. As for trading spots, I don't want to really do such a thing becaue we did that before and the likes of elite players or playmakers like AJ Green and Julio Jones are on other teams and making plays. We opted for more draft picks and it only got us more draft picks. Let's stick to the spot that we earned by losing (if I can say that) and select an elite talent which I think is Bosa in this draft. Also, I do believe that dominant pass rush makes cornerbacks more than a cornerback making pass rushers. So, what I am saying is that if Bosa is available at 2 then I think that we should stay there and stay focus on getting elite players and not just good players.

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted By: Browns26
I traded down twice. First trade was pick 2 to San Diego for pick 3 and their 2nd and 3rd. The 2nd trade was pick 3 to Atlanta for pick 17, their 2nd and next years first. I don't love the top of the draft in this class and the Browns have lots of holes so I felt trading down would be a good move if a team will over pay, like in these two trades.

Round 1 Pick 17 (ATL): Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
Round 2 Pick 1: Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame
Round 2 Pick 4 (S.D.): Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
Round 2 Pick 19 (ATL): Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State
Round 3 Pick 2: Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia
Round 3 Pick 3 (S.D.): Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor
Round 4 Pick 1: Jack Allen, C, Michigan State
Round 5 Pick 2: Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State
Round 6 Pick 1: Travis Feeney, OLB, Washington
Round 7 Pick 2: Daryl Worley, CB, West Virginia

Your Future Picks:
2017 Round 1 Pick (ATL)
2017 Round 1 Pick
2018 Round 1 Pick

Just a couple of problems here, and I realize it's your fantasy draft and no one else's, but...

First issue:
Who would the Chargers covet that they believe the Browns would a) draft or b) trade away the pick to someone that will pick ahead of the Chargers and steal c) be worth taking that risk of b) at the cost of 2nd and 3rd round draft picks?

Again I know this is fantasy land, but...

Second Issue is with your draft picks and them falling to these spots...

1)I don't see any way that Jaylon Smith will drop to the second round, despite his injury.
2) Braxton Miller won't make it out of the 3rd..I expect him to go in the late 2nd...no way he will be available in the 5th.
3) not as much a deal as the previous two, because I see him as a 2nd rounder...and possibly a mid-late 2nd rounder, but I don't think Oakman will be available in the 3rd

Sorry to pick it apart...again, I realize this is mock season, I just see some flaws.

All that said, I would be ecstatic if it turned out that way...Except that we would still be in need of a QB. I am assuming they sign one in the off season, or are you expecting Josh McCown to stay healthy for a full season? Connor Cook, imho, will never amount to anything but a back up in the NFL. No drive, no leadership, very average skills.

Legend
Legend
I dont see SD giving up a high 2nd and 3rd to move up one spot.. unless they hired Butch Davis and I wasn't aware..

The only way I see us able to trade down, is if Tenn trades down (so someone can get a QB) or passes on Tunsil (to take Bosa)

Or if we deem we dont like a QB and someone wants to trade up for that guy.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Oakman looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. He can never sustain his leverage and looks like he doesn't try. I'd rather not play him.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
wow have not been on here in over a year but my two cents are thus.

first pick Bosa if available
second pick QB...meh Card. Jones? lol love my Buckeyes
third pick. OG or OT best available
fourth pick big WR
then address the defense
NT, OLB, CB,
something like that maybe. Just my first knee jerk picks have not put too much thought into yet. I see no reason to draft a RB as the Crow and Johnson should be fine in my opinion...well glad to be back...as always go Browns

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Legend
Legend
You can probably get Cardale in the 4th or 5th round.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Cardale in the 4th or 5th rounds? yea most likely lol I see no QB in this draft that makes me say..."wow" could be wrong tho...Hue I hear likes to stretch the field and Cardale can do that right?

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
Cardale in the 4th or 5th rounds? yea most likely lol I see no QB in this draft that makes me say..."wow" could be wrong tho...Hue I hear likes to stretch the field and Cardale can do that right?

We have three 5th round picks. I think it would be a perfectly okay idea to take Cardale Jones in the 5th round even if we take Goff or Wentz in the 1st. We could hand him a clipboard and let him take it all in. He might pay BIG dividends someday, either in a backup situation or if your 1st rounder tanks. It would be a "hedge" pick, a "just-in-case".

Plus, I work with his Uncle Bob, and I like the guy (Cardale and Uncle Bob).

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dave

We have three 5th round picks. I think it would be a perfectly okay idea to take Cardale Jones in the 5th round even if we take Goff or Wentz in the 1st. We could hand him a clipboard and let him take it all in. He might pay BIG dividends someday, either in a backup situation or if your 1st rounder tanks. It would be a "hedge" pick, a "just-in-case".

Thanx for the insight Dave.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I have been thinking the same.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Not that it has anything to do with ability, but Cardale seems to be an OK guy.

He sometimes hangs out in the neighborhood where one of my son's friends live, one of his friends lives a couple of houses down. My son and his friend and some other kids were playing football one time and Cardale wandered over and talked to them for a bit. My son's friend is a UM fan (just to piss his dad off) and was wearing a UM jersey at the time. Cardale gave him some good-natured, age appropriate ribbing and then took pictures with everyone. Kids said he was funny.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
He might pay BIG dividends someday,

hmmmm...at WR? I thought Pryor was a better QB than Cardale.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: eotab

jmho

Does not say much for this QB class. as I believe Walterfootball has him ranked as the 5th best QB in this class...

D
Legend
Legend
D

jmho

IMO, TP wishes he could throw a ball like Cardale does. Not to mention how much fun it would be to watch Cardale pancake James Harrison on a scramble.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

jmho

IMO, TP wishes he could throw a ball like Cardale does. Not to mention how much fun it would be to watch Cardale pancake James Harrison on a scramble.
ha! that would be funny thing to see...I'm surprised Harrison is still playing at all

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Mock Draft (CBS Ranking)

2. WR Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss (6) -- Larry Fitzgerald mold.. big, physical, unstoppable in red zone, incredible blocker. Basically the prototype for Z receiver.

32. WR Josh Doctson, TCU (37) -- AJ Green lite. Rangy, leaping skills top-notch. Elite-X potential.

65. QB Dak Prescott, Miss St (113) -- Strong arm, strong body, excellent athlete. Pretty good accuracy and should excel with large targets. Plays much bigger than 6'2" size. Reminds me of Blake Bortles without the brain diarrhea.

110. CB Maurice Canady, Virginia (117) -- Great size and pretty good man cover skills. Not afraid to play tight coverage.

137. OLB Victor Ochi, Stony Brook (171) -- Completely dominated the E/W Shrine Game. Typically, if a player dominated the Shrine Game he goes in the third, so this might be dreaming a little. I'd happily take him and miss out on Canady if it looks like it would be needed. Terrific edge rusher.

139. FS Trevon Stewart, Houston (241) -- One of the most instinctual defenders of the last three years in college football. This guy always has a knack for making huge plays and is a little man who can hit.

172. DE Matt Ionnidis, Temple (176) -- IIRC, Horton runs a more straight forward 3-4, and though I like Zettel's ability to get into the backfield a lot, Ionnidis is bigger and won't lose gap integrity in the run game.

174. OLB Alex McCalister, Florida (304) -- Why isn't anyone talking about this guy? Man, his shoulder dip is pretty incredible. Doesn't show a great array of moves but if you want a guy who can get around the edge, this is the guy!

180. NT Antwaun Woods, USC (269) -- Not sure how he ended up underrated, but he is a really nice NT, definitely an upgrade over Meder as depth.

221. QB Mike Bercovici, Arizona State (371) -- One of the best passers in the draft, has a pretty good arm. He significantly lacks size and has barely over a season's worth of experience, but the guy can play. Threw for 30 TDs in 2015 despite having just one OL, TE, or WR expected to be drafted this year (LG Westerman). His first two starts ever (USC, UCLA 2014) he threw for a combined 998 yards -- an NCAA record.

Potential UDFA Priority Targets:

WR Nelson Spruce, Colorado (282) -- One man show in Colorado, was clearly the focal point of Washington's pass game, but still consistently produced. 8th all-time in conference now known as Pac 12 in receiving yards.
WR Devin Lucien, Arizona State (694) -- Transfer from UCLA, was underutilized until the end of the year. Gained 534 yards receiving and 5 TDs on 26 catches in the last 3 GAMES of his senior season.
ILB Cassanova McKinzy, Auburn (402) -- Big thumper who has been a standout on D for the Tigers for multiple seasons.
ILB Beniquez Brown, Miss St (376) -- Very athletic linebacker who would play the more coverage side in our D
C Alex Huettel, Bowling Green (UR) -- Really held his own against Tennessee this year and showed very well in the E/W shrine game
RB Travis Greene, Bowling Green (322) -- Average 8 yards per carry in his career and shows great strength and quickness, but lacks vision.
C Mitch Smothers, Arkansas (607) -- Powerful cog in Arkansas' dominant running game.
OT Caleb Benenoch, UCLA (382) -- Highly touted recruit who didn't live up to potential but is still a skilled and strong player (RT candidate)
K Jaden Oberkrom, TCU (493) -- Strong legged kicker, has made some clutch ones for TCU
WR Jared Dangerfield, Western Kentucky (494) -- Good size and speed and understands how to gain YAC
QB Matt Johnson, Bowling Green (499) -- Very accurate, loves the deep ball, but doesn't have a very strong arm
DE Terrell Lathan, TCU (528) -- Great size for 5T and made plays in the backfield in the run game for the Horned Frogs
FB Kody Walker, Arkansas (714) -- Finds someone to block and delivers big hits. Can also catch the ball, 'Peen.
OLB Vontarrius Dora, Louisiana Tech (980) -- I haven't seen a ton of this guy, but he played (DE) pretty well in the NFLPA collegiate bowl and definitely has NFL body & athleticism
CB Prince Charles Iworah, Western Kentucky (463) -- good athlete with long arms

Legend
Legend

I would not be opposed to that.. as long as the fans can handle it.

Goff, Wendz, whoever it is, is going to struggle.. and there are obviously a LOT of Buckeye HOMERS that are Browns fans.. and my big concern is that they will try very hard to start a controversy at the first sign of struggling..

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
ha! that would be funny thing to see...I'm surprised Harrison is still playing at all

Steroids do amazing things.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Mock Draft (CBS Ranking)

2. WR Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss

32. WR Josh Doctson, TCU

65. QB Dak Prescott, Miss St

I'm totally going to hate our actual draft if you keep doing things like this..

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
well, don't we end up hating our drafts anyways?

Legend
Legend
well, don't we end up hating our drafts anyways?

Usually not until about week 10 of the following season.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
You referred to Docston as an AJ Green like player..

And it made me look him up.. I didn't realize he was over 6'2..

For some reason I assumed all TCU skill position players were like 5'11 or shorter..

V
Legend
Legend
V
steve..............not dissing you, but don't you think we need a pass rusher?

I know you might be getting sick of me saying this, but I like Spence. Do you think he could last until 32?

Or, could we trade down a bit, grab Treadwell around 5-8 and nab Spence in the 20s?

I don't know if that is even plausible. I have very limited knowledge of draft trades and where a lot of these guys will go in the draft, so be nice. I am just looking to be educated on such things.

Legend
Legend
Any chance Nassib lasts till the 3rd?

We could double up.

Bosa
Doctson
Nassib

Then grab a guy like Hackenberg in the 4th. Let him develop.

There appears to be many different ways we could go with all of the positions that we need or could use an upgrade on.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
steve..............not dissing you, but don't you think we need a pass rusher?

I know you might be getting sick of me saying this, but I like Spence. Do you think he could last until 32?

Or, could we trade down a bit, grab Treadwell around 5-8 and nab Spence in the 20s?

I don't know if that is even plausible. I have very limited knowledge of draft trades and where a lot of these guys will go in the draft, so be nice. I am just looking to be educated on such things.

I absolutely think we need at least one pass rusher. I do not think Spence will last past 20 (NYJ). I would not be surprised if he goes before that spot. You and I think he's the best pass rusher in the draft, so it's hard for me to envision him lasting to 32.

If we could get Spence at 32, that would be the pick for sure for me. I don't think it will happen.

For Treadwell, I'd love to move to 4 or 5 to take him. I think there is no way Ozzie passes on him. He is the easiest GM to predict because he drafts chalk and Treadwell is easily the best player at that spot... and they have a huge need at wideout. Problem is getting Dallas or Jacksonville to move up to 2... hard to see it happening. Maybe Dallas for Bosa? Or for Wentz if San Fran moves ahead of them for Goff? Maybe Jacksonville for Tunsil if Tenn doesn't take him? But they need corners, too, and 5 is a great spot to need a corner in this draft.

I don't think Spence is realistic for us unless there is some reason someone wants to move up to 2 and we take him with wherever we go down to... but then with Gordon being reinstated and Manziel's issues going on right now and Armonty potentially going to jail all for substance issues, do you think our team will be the one to take the guy who got kicked out of the B1G for drugs with our 1st pick?

I knew about Ochi's productivity, but had never seen him play before the Shrine Game. He showed very good, translatable pass rush skills in that game. In past years, the Shrine Game has been available on youtube and it might be there again this year. I'd look for it. He was awesome.

McCalister has got the goods, too. He got injured early this season but check out his three games from the season on Draft Breakdown. The guy gets to the QB.

Ochi and McCalister are probably my 3rd and 4th choices at OLB right now, behind Spence and Nassib. I think it's very important that we address the position and I'm adding players I like here, using a 4th and a 5th round pick. I don't think I would take Nassib over Doctson and that's the only other conflict that would come into play for me.

JMO.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For some reason, I am not hearing a ton of Nassib hype. I agree with you that he's gotta be the 2nd best OLB choice right now.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
For some reason, I am not hearing a ton of Nassib hype. I agree with you that he's gotta be the 2nd best OLB choice right now.

It's not really hype... he's got great size and great production at the highest level of competition. He's a relentless type of guy, too, which means a lot for a pass rusher.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It's not really hype... he's got great size and great production at the highest level of competition. He's a relentless type of guy, too, which means a lot for a pass rusher.

Agreed, I just mean that the media types don't seem to be on the Nassib train yet and I'm not sure why. He seems like he's highly above everyone but Spence.

That might be a good thing though and he might fall a bit if he stays under the radar.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Great stuff. I appreciate the knowledge. I just came from a thread---and this has been on my mind for awhile now---but it seems that we have too many posters who think this is a **** swinging contest and don't want to be educated. I find that sad. I love learning from some of you guys in areas where you have more knowledge than I do. It would be so great if this board could become more educational rather than who has the biggest...

You and I keep going back and forth on Spence. I hear you about his past crimes and the Browns having had so many recent character guys, but I read where Spence has been tested multiple times this past year and has been clean every time. Do you think that can help diminish some of the negative connotations?

I will check out the other pass rushers you pointed out and let you know what I think

Thanks again for the knowledge, my man.............good stuff.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think your point about Nassib is a good one. I only remember him from watching a 3 games this year, so my opinion should be taken w/a grain of salt, but I liked the kid, too. I'm going to research him and let you guys know what I think.

Keep feeding me names..........pass rushers, WRs, corners, and ILBers. I'll research them and do what I do best.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Can't find where I read it so no link but I saw somewhere that Spence did quite poorly at the Senior bowl interviews and that teams were quite disappointed. FWIW

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season 2016 NFL Draft Mock Drafts Pt. II

Link Copied to Clipboard