Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
M
A topic came up on Cincy's ESPN radio station and it's also a subject I mentioned in an earlier thread. If Hue Jackson traded the Browns #2 pick to the Bengals for Andy Dalton how would you feel about such a deal? You would be getting an established QB with a 50-25-1 record over five seasons. Guided the Bengals to five playoff appearances (only played in four, and yes he played poorly in those, but I think had he not broken his thumb could have won at least one game this year), and he and Hue are joined at the hip. Yes you would be giving up a #2 pick but most likely they are going to draft an unproven QB with it. So what do you all think? I think the chances of this happening are near zero but it's kind of fun to consider.

Legend
Legend
I would think Hue had been out drinking with Johnny

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Only if AJ Green comes with him.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
I would give up the #2 for AJ. HIm & Gordon would be a nightmare for opposing secondary's!

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
M
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
M
Originally Posted By: MrTed
I would give up the #2 for AJ. HIm & Gordon would be a nightmare for opposing secondary's!
Hey Ted. That's all fine and stuff but the question is how would you all feel about having AD for your QB. After all these years of not having a reliable starting QB would you all be happy to have one who some just consider average, although I think he proved this season that he was above average.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: mickeycat
Originally Posted By: MrTed
Hey Ted. That's all fine and stuff but the question is how would you all feel about having AD for your QB. After all these years of not having a reliable starting QB would you all be happy to have one who some just consider average, although I think he proved this season that he was above average.

It's a tough question to be sure. I don't think I'd do it. I know he's been the one and done guy but so was Payton Manning for a few years wasn't he? I do think if he was playing he'd have beat the steelers too.

Given the QB play we've had I can't say why we shouldn't do it given how far I think Dalton has come since his first year. He's definitely worked some (not all) bugs out of his game so…I'm torn I guess.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend
If a team is willing to trade a QB to a division rival.. then I dont want him.. (See: Bledsoe/Bills, McNabb/Redskins)

And no, Andy fricken Dalton is not worth the #2 pick in the draft..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I would be worried because the adage is that there are two types of teams, those with franchise QBs and those that are looking for one. If the Bengals believe he is one, they wouldn't trade him for anything and if they don't believe he is one, then he isn't worth the #2 overall pick.

Now if we could take the best WR at #2 (assuming he's worth it) and trade the #32 pick for Dalton... that I would consider.

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
No thanks! In keepng with what appears to be the mindset of Hue and company, they are building their own army. This means a young up and comer. Dalton doesn't fit the bill. You can keep him.

#gmstrong
M
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
M
Originally Posted By: Cjrae
No thanks! In keepng with what appears to be the mindset of Hue and company, they are building their own army. This means a young up and comer. Dalton doesn't fit the bill. You can keep him.
I can understand that. I could make the argument that if you already had an established QB you wouldn't have to wait so long for your team to be a contender, but then Andy took the Bengals to the playoffs his first season so I guess that's proof that if a team drafts the right QB that it could be done.

Legend
Legend
Andy Daltons rookie year would have been terrible if he didnt have AJ Green to lob it up to whenever he got in trouble.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would be really pissed.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
A topic came up on Cincy's ESPN radio station and it's also a subject I mentioned in an earlier thread. If Hue Jackson traded the Browns #2 pick to the Bengals for Andy Dalton how would you feel about such a deal? You would be getting an established QB with a 50-25-1 record over five seasons. Guided the Bengals to five playoff appearances (only played in four, and yes he played poorly in those, but I think had he not broken his thumb could have won at least one game this year), and he and Hue are joined at the hip. Yes you would be giving up a #2 pick but most likely they are going to draft an unproven QB with it. So what do you all think? I think the chances of this happening are near zero but it's kind of fun to consider.

Cincinnati would be lucky to get pick 32, let alone pick 2.

He's not a franchise quarterback.

Rookie
Rookie
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

Yes, and Clown fans would know all about franchise QB's. tsktsk

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Palmer4MVP

Yes, as much as Bungle fans would know all about a PLAYOFF win. tsktsk

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I would be highly suspicious if the Bengals made that offer. I don't think the Bengals would even consider making that trade unless something was seriously wrong with Dalton-- maybe he wasn't recovering well from injury or the team had strong reason to believe that his past season was a fluke.

Just bantering back and forth on a message board, I would trade #2 for Dalton, yes. He's a good quarterback signed long-term on a contract that's reasonable by QB standards. We've seen time and time again that picking near the top of the draft is not a sure thing at any position.

I'm not really a draft guy so maybe somebody else can weigh in on this but based on what I've seen and read, this does not really seem like a great draft to have the #2 pick in.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y'all can keep him

Legend
Legend

We do, we know exactly what a franchise QB doesn't look like. and he has a lot of those qualities.

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S

Yes, clearly because our team has had bad QB play, that we automatically don't know the game.

#logic

Andy Dalton sucks. Sorry. He's not worth a second round pick, let alone the number 2 overall, LOL.

M
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
M

Yes, clearly because our team has had bad QB play, that we automatically don't know the game.

#logic

Andy Dalton sucks. Sorry. He's not worth a second round pick, let alone the number 2 overall, LOL.
I know right? I mean look at these numbers from 2015.

TDs 25 INTs 7 Yrds 3250 Rating 106.2

Ugh! What team would want numbers like that from their QB? Certainly not the Browns. Oh yeah, he led his team to five straight playoff appearances. Yuck!

Last edited by mickeycat; 04/03/16 07:52 PM.
M
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
M
Oh and by the way, the numbers I posted in the previous post were through 13 games. Just think what they would have been if he had played a full 16 game season. Also he rushed for 3 more TDS.

Last edited by mickeycat; 04/03/16 08:31 PM.
Legend
Legend
Yes, he's so great that you're talking about trading him..

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Oh yeah, he led his team to five straight playoff losses.

Fixed it.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
M
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Never said I wanted to trade him. I just asked how Browns fans would feel about having him as their QB.

M
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
M
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:

Fixed it.
Wrong. He didn't play in the last playoff game.

Legend
Legend
He didn't play in the first four either. He just screwed around for three hours wink

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Your post makes me want to ask a question of you: How would you feel losing AD? Somehow it seems you'd be down with that since you're the one who brought this up.

#gmstrong
M
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
M
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Your post makes me want to ask a question of you: How would you feel losing AD? Somehow it seems you'd be down with that since you're the one who brought this up.

TBT if it were the end of 2014 and AJ McCarron played well in a few games I might want to go with him instead of AD. But after the numbers Andy put up in 13 games this past season I'm fully on board with him.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:

Fixed it.
Wrong. He didn't play in the last playoff game.

Which, ironically, they should have won..

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
yup Andy is good at pretending to be tony romo...one and done. are...are they related somehow?

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
M
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
M
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
yup Andy is good at pretending to be tony romo...one and done. are...are they related somehow?
Tony Romo can't stay healthy. Comparing Andy to him is grossly inaccurate. AD has missed a total of 4 games in his 5 year career due to injury.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Never said I wanted to trade him. I just asked how Browns fans would feel about having him as their QB.

I really don't think Panther fans, Patriot fans, Packer fans, etc are asking other fan bases about trading a high pick for their quarterback.

Andy Dalton career playoff numbers:

4 starts, 1 touchdown, 6 picks, 4 losses.

I wouldn't give up a second round pick for him.

M
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
M

I really don't think Panther fans, Patriot fans, Packer fans, etc are asking other fan bases about trading a high pick for their quarterback.

Andy Dalton career playoff numbers:

4 starts, 1 touchdown, 6 picks, 4 losses.

I wouldn't give up a second round pick for him.
If you wouldn't want to give up a #2 pick for AD I can respect that. And you are right when you point out that his playoff record is not good. But look at this QB's first three playoff games'

First playoff game: 19 completions in 42 attempts, 227 yards, 0 TDs 0 Ints, lost 19-16.

Second playoff game: 17 completions in 32 attempts, 194 yards,
1 TD 0 Ints, lost 23-17.

Third playoff game: 14 completions in 31 attempts, 137 yds,
0 TDs 2 Ints, lost 41-0.

The QB is Peyton Manning.

S
Legend
Legend
S
That's great and all, but if you watch Andy Dalton play, it's pretty clear he will never be anything close to Peyton Manning. I think it's pretty telling that AJ McCarron played just as well as Dalton probably would have in that playoff loss last January to the Steelers.

Cincinnati has a nice team built. I alot of guys would put up nice statistics during the regular season. Hence the reason why I wouldn't give up anything more than a third for the guy. He's not a franchise QB. High picks, like the former Browns #2 overall, are picks used on franchise guys, not someone who even comes into question of trading for a draft pick.

M
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
M
That's great and all, but if you watch Andy Dalton play, it's pretty clear he will never be anything close to Peyton Manning. I think it's pretty telling that AJ McCarron played just as well as Dalton probably would have in that playoff loss last January to the Steelers.

Cincinnati has a nice team built. I alot of guys would put up nice statistics during the regular season. Hence the reason why I wouldn't give up anything more than a third for the guy. He's not a franchise QB. High picks, like the former Browns #2 overall, are picks used on franchise guys, not someone who even comes into question of trading for a draft pick.

Fair enough

Legend
Legend
Agreed. I am confident that we can lose a playoff game with the talent remaining. And who would be left to carry Marvy Marv?

No thanks. Loser.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
M
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Agreed. I am confident that we can lose a playoff game with the talent remaining. And who would be left to carry Marvy Marv?

No thanks. Loser.
Huh? notallthere

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

No thanks. Loser.
Huh? notallthere
rofl

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk The Smack Shack A serious question for y'all

Link Copied to Clipboard