Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
The NFL Draft may still be a couple months away, but former California quarterback and one of the top quarterback prospects in the draft, Jared Goff has already been asked about the possibility of joining the Cleveland Browns. In an interview with Peter King of The Monday Morning Quarterback on Monday, Goff was excited about possibly being the Browns next franchise quarterback, where previous quarterbacks have “gone to die.”

“I’m not worried about it. I’m excited about it. Whatever team I go to, I’ll be excited to go. I want to be the future of a franchise. I think I can be a guy who can make an impact right away.”
While he shared his excitement about possibly playing for the Browns, the 6-foot-4, 215-pound gunslinger didn’t hesitate to comment on competing with former North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz and former Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch to be the top quarterback taken in the upcoming draft. In fact, he was very confident in thinking that he is the top quarterback.

“I think my accuracy is as good as it gets at this level. I think my pocket presence and my ability to extend plays speak for themselves. I’m confident I’ll be the best quarterback in the draft.”
Goff is already familiar with Browns head coach Hue Jackson, due to the fact that the new head coach was a former California assistant in 1996, but the two have never met before. They had a chance to meet while both were touring radio row during the week leading up to the Super Bowl, but unfortunately missed each other.

Both of ESPN’s Todd McShay (in his second mock draft) and Mel Kiper have the Browns taking Goff with the No. 2 pick in the upcoming draft. The three quarterbacks will be together next week at the NFL Combine, where they will be able to show who is truly the best quarterback of the trio.

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2016/02/jared-goff-cleveland-browns-nfl-draft-rumors/

I indicated in another post that if we are doing the whole draft a QB thingy this year, that I wanted Lynch...not sure why I'm so anti Wentz but came across this on Goff...someone excited to come "where QB's die" caught my attention. thoughts?

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I loved his tape. If he shows up to the combine at or heavier than 215 I think he is our guy, his weight is an issue.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I indicated in another post that if we are doing the whole draft a QB thingy this year, that I wanted Lynch...not sure why I'm so anti Wentz but came across this on Goff...someone excited to come "where QB's die" caught my attention. thoughts?

Manziel said almost the same thing. Was even a little stronger. Something about being the 24th starting QB but the one that turns the franchise around. And excited about it.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Quote:

Manziel said almost the same thing. Was even a little stronger. Something about being the 24th starting QB but the one that turns the franchise around. And excited about it.
while this is true JF is not Goff, nor is their mindset the same about football...not sure if your'e suggesting that Goff would fail here like JF because he is excited to be drafted by Cleveland

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
P
Legend
Legend
P
Does he want to wreck this league!?

I think he would fail here because he doesn't have an NFL arm to make all of the throws.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Been watching a lot of YouTube on this guy. His arm is incredibly accurate and when people are moving around him, he's extremely calm. Calm as can be.

Whether he's excited or not to come here, if he comes here - he'll have a job to do n' he'll be making great money to do it. We could only hope (since the scum name of Manziel has already made it's presence here) - that he takes his job more seriously. Goes for any QB we'll soon to be drafting, first round or not. JMO

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Does he want to wreck this league!?

I think he would fail here because he doesn't have an NFL arm to make all of the throws.
I think every QB Drafted wants to "wreck" this league...if they don't they should be doing something else other than football

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
while this is true JF is not Goff

You are right. Manziel has a lot more talent than Goff does.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

shots fired?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

haha maybe so...but where has JF's talent got him? Does him no good if he doesn't play...Just because your'e the best on the planet in the UFC, if you never fight what good are you?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not really. Goff reminds me of a Brian Hoyer, Case Keenum, Sam Bradford type of qb.

Manziel has real talent. It's too bad he blew it because of his issues.

Legend
Legend
That's exactly not what I am suggesting.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I liked Hoyer just fine...except his short to mid. passes not always the best. but his deep ball was good, and he did take his shots down the field.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
That's exactly not what I am suggesting.
ok my mistake, just the way I read it in my mind.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't get the whole "he's so accurate" that everyone (not just you but all the internet pundants) speak of.

Goff makes some absolutely beautiful throws, no doubt. But he misses more wide open receivers than any Qb prospect projected for the 1st round that I have ever seen.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Goff's combination of footwork, intelligence, and downfield accuracy (among other things) make him the QB I prefer.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Goff has bust written all over him.

Wentz reminds me of Brady Quinn.

Lynch has flaws, but is the only one I think has the ability to overcome them.

At the end of the day, I just want us to focus on a QB and take him at 2 and not look back. I'm sick of taking whatever is left.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
I loved his tape. If he shows up to the combine at or heavier than 215 I think he is our guy, his weight is an issue.

If body weight is your only concern on a QB, you don't have any concerns at all. This is the definition of picking nits.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Jared Goff excited about possibility of Browns drafting him at No. 2

"Whatever team I go to, I’ll be excited to go."

There ya have it. You can take the word "Browns' from the title of the story and replace it with any one of 31 other teams and it would mean as much.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TopDawg16
At the end of the day, I just want us to focus on a QB and take him at 2 and not look back. I'm sick of taking whatever is left.

Eh ... that mindset would of probably seen us draft Manziel at #4.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
.... because he doesn't have an NFL arm to make all of the throws.

All of the footage I've watched on him says otherwise

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Well... That would have kept us from drafting Gilbert and Erving.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ddubia

There ya have it. You can take the word "Browns' from the title of the story and replace it with any one of 31 other teams and it would mean as much.

He was specifically asked about the Browns.

Legend
Legend
He got it right. They all have something to fix and a bunch to work on. Make the best pick and get more help. I am going to look hard at these guys in the Combine.

And my wife absolutely digs watching the drills. She is fascinated by it. Proof once again, Be careful what you wish for.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
I have liked Goff since I saw him play against tOSU in his freshman year and he has done nothing but get better and better ... Here is my scenario, trade down to #4 with Dallas and pick up their 2nd and 4th rd. picks this year, S.D. is in need of OL and Dallas is looking to bolster their Defense and @ #2 Bosa and Jack will be there for their choosing, making Goff available to us @ 4,and we now own picks 32 and 35 plus another 4th rounder, I want Goff but we need more if we can get it ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Here is my scenario in order of draft:

1. Tennessee -- Laremy Tunsil OT Ole Miss.

2. Dallas (From Cleveland)-- Joey Bosa DE/OLB tOSU

3. San Diego -- Jalen Ramsey CB/S FSU

4. Cleveland (From Dallas) -- Jared Goff QB California -- Browns receive Cowboys 2nd and 4th Rd. Picks in 2016

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: BpG

If body weight is your only concern on a QB, you don't have any concerns at all. This is the definition of picking nits.

Yea, I could see if he was 185.. but if we would take him at 218 but not at 212.. then we have a problem.

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

4. Cleveland (From Dallas) -- Jared Goff QB California -- Browns receive Cowboys 2nd and 4th Rd. Picks in 2016

Why would the Cowboys do that? Just sit back and take Ramsey or Bosa.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Jones always likes to guarantee the player he likes if stay at 2 he knows Bosa is an option for us Therefore he takes us out of his way by enticing us with more picks and still being able to get Goff, its just a thought not saying it will happen but it is possible ..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ddubia

No kidding. On the radio I heard what he said and then saw this thread. I had to read it twice to see if he actually mentioned Cleveland. He is excited to play anywhere and thinks he is the best QB in the draft. That's it. Nothing about Cleveland in particular.

As tab would say ... BOZOs.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Why would the Cowboys do that? Just sit back and take Ramsey or Bosa.

Absolutely. Bosa may go Top 10, but not in the first 3 spots. I pray we're not taking Bosa at #2. If we're not taking a QB there, then I want either Jack or Ramsey...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend

There are things I really like about Goff. He is what I would call a pure passer. He has a nice release and puts good spin on the ball.

He is two years younger than Wentz. I believe he will naturally get bigger and stronger. When the pros get him they will work on his core and hip turn and he will get more velocity on his throws.

He did not play under center and will need a lot of practice to get his drops perfected.

But he is a fearless passer and I believe he will become a good player. I kind of see a guy like Alex Smith.

C
Legend
Legend
C
You didn't even mentioned his footwork in the pocket. The dude is always set and ready to throw.

Legend
Legend
Two years younger with 2 1/2 more years game experience.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
You can find pro's and con's about every QB in every draft year after year. We need a young QB for the future and will draft one this year. It's just a matter of who we think is the best fit for us going forward. JMO

Legend
Legend

What I stated about Goff is not a complete breakdown of what I see. Just a quick take.

However in previous posts I said the same regarding his footwork. He has quick feet like Mariota. He can quickly reset and get into a throwing position.

One of my issues with him (which at this stage of his career is not a big deal); is that at times he is not disciplined with his footwork. When he does not establish good position he loses accuracy which is what happens when you don't get your feet right and weight transfer is incorrect.

Legend
Legend

I put this on the "quarterback shopping" topic.

If you take the time to listen Wentz's coach reveals a lot Wentz and his mental football skills.

I guess the Wentz thread is closed so I am putting this here.

This is a very in depth interview with Carson Wentz's coach at ND State. It is a little long but very revealing:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2016-...-podcast-021816

C
Legend
Legend
C
I listened to this interview about a week ago. I didn't think it was very insightful about Wentz. Of course his coach is going to pump him up. The things I thought were interesting were more about how the NDSU runs.

Legend
Legend

Ok. Maybe it was not interesting or revealing to you.

My take was different. I thought the coach was being honest. He made a comparison to Flacco regarding arm strength but said Wentz was a better athlete and moved better.

He spoke about Kurt Warner and how Wentz carried himself in a similar fashion and how their mental approach was similar.

He spoke about Wentz as a redshirt freshman shredding their defense on a weekly basis and that he was the best quarterback they faced.

He spoke about Wentz's grasp of offensive concepts and his play in big games and the type of leader he is.

I understand he was Wentz's coach but he came from another program before Wentz was recruited.

He did not come off as anything but honest to me.

So I guess it is each to their own as far as what you take away.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Anyone know if there are any other positional players in this draft?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season 2016 NFL Draft Jared Goff excited about possibility of Browns drafting him at No. 2

Link Copied to Clipboard