Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
For all the bitching and moaning he did last year about dropping into coverage, he was still primarily rushing the passer on the money down and didn't get the job done.

Couldn't agree more. Yes, he dropped back in coverage more but still was rushing the passer all the time. The interesting thing about his contract is, if cut, cost us $2.4M in dead money but saves us $5.3M. I guess this would be more relevant if we were looking to re-sign more of our own guys or play a more substantive role in FA, but yeah, if you draft a young guy to play alongside Orchard, what's the point in keeping him?

Tackles are tackles.
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I could live with that draft clevesteve.

Roster looks OK, something to build off of and we could grab a QB the following year I guess.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Steve,

What if we were able to pull that same trade and pulled:

Miles Jack at #5
Doctson at #32
Bell at #38

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
E
Legend
Legend
E
Or out of necessity we might have to take Spriggs at #32

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
Or out of necessity we might have to take Spriggs at #32

I wouldn't be opposed to it. I like Spriggs, but I think he goes top 20. Last 3-round mock I did I had him going early 20s.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: TI84_Plus
Steve,

Miles Jack at #5
Doctson at #32
Bell at #38

I'm actually not as high on Jack as most people. I wouldn't hate it, but I kinda feel like if we take Doctson to be our lead guy it's putting him in not the best position... I think he could be a top-end complementary wide receiver, like on the level of Emmanuel Sanders, but you need to have that top guy to let him play one-on-one I think.

*I am not saying his skillset is similar to Sanders, but I think he could have similar productivity when he is able to play off a big guy that demands a double team. And that is worth a 2nd I think. It would help out whatever QB we bring in, too.*

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Our line depth took a hit, but I'm not sure we need to draft a starter. I think we'd be okay with Thomas, Pasztor, Erving, Greco, and Bitonio from left to right. Erving could be a weak spot, but that's where we drafted him to play. Could alternatively try Thomas, Bitonio, Greco, Pasztor, Erving, and I might actually be leaning toward this one.

I'm not sure how much interest we'll get at #2 overall, but I think that top of the 2nd round pick could draw some interest.

I'm still thinking Wentz, Pass Rusher (Depends on who is there, Correa/Fackrell/Dodd/Spence), Receivers (Boyd/Higgins/Sharpe), ILB (How far does Smith fall/Perry/Forrest), Safety (Davis, Kindred, I'd have to look at safeties more), Maybe Haeg as a swing lineman and to make sure Wentz is "comfortable", then BPA with an eye on a bigger back and the trenches.

Last edited by GrimmBrown; 03/10/16 02:58 PM. Reason: cursor was really laggy for some reason, so tried to see if post and edit got rid of the issue.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Steve,

Miles Jack at #5
Doctson at #32
Bell at #38

I'm actually not as high on Jack as most people. I wouldn't hate it, but I kinda feel like if we take Doctson to be our lead guy it's putting him in not the best position... I think he could be a top-end complementary wide receiver, like on the level of Emmanuel Sanders, but you need to have that top guy to let him play one-on-one I think.

*I am not saying his skillset is similar to Sanders, but I think he could have similar productivity when he is able to play off a big guy that demands a double team. And that is worth a 2nd I think. It would help out whatever QB we bring in, too.*

I think Doctson might (will probably) go in the 1st now.

Fiercely Independent.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm actually not as high on Jack as most people.

I'm glad you said it first. You know I'm not an evaluator but I did watch one game that focused on him and I saw a guy who was always around the ball but actually made few plays. I'm not so sure he's an impact guy. He seem really good in coverage but otherwise I don't see a dominant player. Of course, that was only one game.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Steve,

Miles Jack at #5
Doctson at #32
Bell at #38

I think Doctson might (will probably) go in the 1st now.

Yeah, probably.. I had been surprised he was ever not considered a first rounder. frown

D
Legend
Legend
D
A late round flyer for the Browns? He's a bit undersized, and he needs to add strength to play C in the NFL, but he's a Matthews. It almost seems like there's a Matthews in the draft every year, and this year's Matthews is 6-2, 290 lb Center from Texas A&M. He's HOF OL Bruce Matthews' son and of course, Clay is his uncle. Seems to me we need a C, or else a good understudy to whoever starts at C this year.

Mike Matthews, C, Texas A&M

Height: 6-2. Weight: 290.
Projected 40 Time: 5.02.
Projected Round (2016): 7-FA.
3/5/16: Matthews was solid overall in 2015, but he needs to get stronger and be more physical in order to pan out in the NFL. He didn't participate in an all-star game or the combine.

8/15/15: Matthews had an excellent start to the 2014 season against South Carolina. He was a good run-blocker and effective in pass protection. The only games that Matthews underwhelmed in were against Mississippi State and Alabama. The junior was generally very steady for the Aggies.

Matthews took over at center in 2013 and had a quality season. He needs to add more strength for the NFL, which would help improve his effectiveness in the ground game. Matthews could become a solid starter and looks like a nice fit for a zone-blocking scheme.

Matthews is the son of NFL Hall of Fame offensive lineman Bruce Matthews. Older brother Jake Matthews was Texas A&M's top lineman for a few years and the seventh-overall pick to the Atlanta Falcons in the 2014 NFL Draft. Another older brother, Kevin Matthews, was a 2-year starter at center for the Aggies (2008-2009).

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016C.php#rk2EPdTOAgVu1V0I.99

More from NFL.com ...

Mike Matthews, C, Texas A&M

At 6-foot-2, 285 pounds, Matthews does not have the height and length of his father, Pro Football Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews, or his brothers Jake (the sixth overall pick in the 2014 draft) and Kevin (former Aggies center). Nor is he an elite athlete like his Pro Bowl linebacker cousin, Clay. But he has the family gene for football toughness and intelligence, a strong anchor, and nimbleness in tight spaces, which is most crucial for the center position. Some NFL teams won't have interest in him because of his lack of size, but another squad will find a reliable starter.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000496307/article/top-senior-prospects-for-2016-draft-top-80

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Check out some clips of Alex Collins and Brandon Allen and watch their center, Mitch Smothers. Would much rather have him on the squad if we're talking late round SEC C. JMO.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Round 1 Pick 12 (N.O.): Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss
Round 2 Pick 1: Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama
Round 2 Pick 16 (N.O.): Noah Spence, DE, Eastern Kentucky
Round 3 Pick 2: Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State
Round 4 Pick 1: Bronson Kaufusi, DE/OLB, Brigham Young
Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Scooby Wright III, ILB, Arizona
Round 5 Pick 2: Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois
Round 5 Pick 33 (COMP): Ben Braunecker, TE, Harvard
Round 5 Pick 34 (COMP): Denver Kirkland, OG/OT, Arkansas
Round 6 Pick 1: Tyvis Powell, FS, Ohio State
Round 7 Pick 2: Demarcus Robinson, WR, Florida

Your Future Picks:
2017 Round 1 Pick
2017 Round 1 Pick (N.O.)
2018 Round 1 Pick

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Browns26
Round 1 Pick 12 (N.O.): Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss
Round 2 Pick 1: Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama
Round 2 Pick 16 (N.O.): Noah Spence, DE, Eastern Kentucky
Round 3 Pick 2: Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State
Round 4 Pick 1: Bronson Kaufusi, DE/OLB, Brigham Young
Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Scooby Wright III, ILB, Arizona
Round 5 Pick 2: Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois
Round 5 Pick 33 (COMP): Ben Braunecker, TE, Harvard
Round 5 Pick 34 (COMP): Denver Kirkland, OG/OT, Arkansas
Round 6 Pick 1: Tyvis Powell, FS, Ohio State
Round 7 Pick 2: Demarcus Robinson, WR, Florida

Your Future Picks:
2017 Round 1 Pick
2017 Round 1 Pick (N.O.)
2018 Round 1 Pick

We need to invest early in defense. Love the Kaufusi pick. He is a beast, and I think would do well as a 3-4 DE. Hate the Hackenberg pick. If we don't get a QB in the first, only other QB worth taking is Cardale. and maybe Prescott.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Does it really matter what we invest in? Do you really think Haslam and Sashi are going to re-sign anyone that is good enough to ask for decent money?

They are con men and taking folks for a ride.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Does it really matter what we invest in? Do you really think Haslam and Sashi are going to re-sign anyone that is good enough to ask for decent money?

They are con men and taking folks for a ride.

If somebody actually believed this, then why would they continue to root for a that team?

(This is a serious question.)

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not rooting for them. Serious answer.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I am not rooting for them. Serious answer.

So why talk about them all the time?

It seems like a waste of time to discuss a team you don't root for at the length you do.

Are you trying to convince other people not to root for the team? If so, aren't there other, more worthy, causes that you should be trying to convince people of?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Like not finishing sentences with a preposition? smirk

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
What worthy causes are you pursuing w/this line of questioning?

The Browns will always be my team. I simply am not going to support this organization as it is currently structured.

I was a Brown's fan long before Jimmy and Sashi got here and God willing, I will be a Brown's fan after they are gone.

The Browns need to change their direction. I am not going to support:

--changing regimes every couple of years

--more interest in marketing ideas than winning

--grandiose talk of new plans that rapidly disintegrate into the cold throes of reality

--talking about building through the draft and then not retaining your draft choices

--constantly having to many "cooks in the kitchen" that limits productivity

--losing season after losing season while appeasing the fan base by firing people and selling the next great plan

Some things will always be a part of one's life, but they aren't going to get accolades and approval by exhibiting undesirable characteristics.

It's like having a relative who is behaving badly. Drinking, drug use, trouble w/the law, unemployed, etc. They will always be a part of your family and you will help them if they are willing to help themselves, but you certainly don't approve or condone their actions.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Enabling such actions only helps them to continue.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
So you don't root for the team, you just follow it around a poke it with a stick?

It really sounds like you still root for the team, you just don't support the decisions being made.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
So you don't root for the team, you just follow it around a poke it with a stick?

It really sounds like you still root for the team, you just don't support the decisions being made.

Sometimes refusing to support stupidity makes you more loyal to the success of your team than just accepting every foolish thing they do. When people continue to make excuses and just say, "Oh well", they are part of the problem, not part of a solution.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C
I debated where to put this post. Either here or the "It's not the Titans its the Browns" thread.

I completely reject the idea that as things stand now taking a QB #2 overall is in the best interest of the team.

Instead I offer a possible scenario that attempts to be realistic about draft position. This scenario has the team staying at #2 but making a calculated trade at #32.

The First Pick Draft Simulator produced bigger returns for the #32 pick than I show here but I wanted to be somewhat conservative. I also concede that with the #32 trade down Dodd would be a unexpected gem. Feel free to place Johnathan Bullard, DE, Florida in that spot. I would be very happy with that substitution.

Round 1 Pick 2: Myles Jack, OLB/ILB, UCLA (A+)
Round 2 Pick 12 (L.A.): Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson (A)
Round 3 Pick 2: Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State (D+)
Round 3 Pick 13 (L.A.): Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama (B+)
Round 4 Pick 1: Scooby Wright III, ILB, Arizona (C+)
Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): DeAndre Houston-Carson, FS, William & Mary (B)
Round 5 Pick 2: Malcolm Mitchell, WR, Georgia (A)
Round 5 Pick 33 (COMP): Charone Peake, WR, Clemson (A+)
Round 5 Pick 34 (COMP): Willie Henry, DT, Michigan (A-)
Round 6 Pick 1: David Morgan II, TE, Texas-San Antonio (C+)
Round 7 Pick 2: Antwione Williams, OLB, Georgia Southern (C+)

In this hypothetical we only get one additional pick, that being the third round, #13. It's possible we could get more in return for the #32.

Last edited by guard dawg; 03/27/16 03:29 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
2016 Browns Mock:

(1-2), QB Carson Wentz
(2-32), WR Cory Coleman
(3-65), OLB Jaylon Smith(IR)
(4-99), ILB Scooby Wright
(4-138), OT Willie Beavers
(5-141), TE Ben Braunecker
(5-172), DL Willie Henry
(5-173), FS Tyvis Powell
(6-176), CB Daryl Worley
(7-233), K Ka'imi Fairbairn

[Linked Image]

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
FL is back, everybody!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Never left Steve, just cant log on my phone (java)

[Linked Image]

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
You guys ever been to this site: http://first-pick.com/ ?

Some of their ranking are off base, but its fun

Last edited by edromeo; 03/28/16 04:01 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not sure about that site, but definitely similar ones.

Got this one using the Composite Rankings on Fanspeak's on the clock. http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock

2: R1P2
QB CARSON WENTZ
NORTH DAKOTA STATE

32: R2P1
DE EMMANUEL OGBAH
OKLAHOMA STATE

65: R3P2
ILB JOSHUA PERRY
OHIO STATE

100: R4P1
S SEAN DAVIS
MARYLAND

139: R4P40
TE TYLER HIGBEE
WESTERN KENTUCKY

142: R5P2
WR MALCOLM MITCHELL
GEORGIA

173: R5P33
WR KEYARRIS GARRETT
TULSA

174: R5P34
C ISAAC SEUMALO
OREGON STATE

177: R6P1
DT ANTHONY ZETTEL
PENN STATE

224: R7P2
S DERRICK KINDRED
TCU

I'd try to pick up Curt Maggitt, OLB, Tennessee and Kalan Reed, CB, Southern Mississippi as UFAs. Maybe Chase Farris, OL, Ohio State, too.

Fiercely Independent.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Myles Jack isn't going to run a forty. I don't think it will affect his draft stock.

If we don't draft a QB we should take Jack and fill five different holes.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We would finally fix our draft problem.

Every draft, we don't get Jack!

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I'm beginning to think that Jalen Ramsey might be the guy the Browns draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c:

I'm beginning to think that Jalen Ramsey might be the guy the Browns draft.

Barring a trade, the choices seem to be Ramsey, Tunsil, or a QB of your choice. Any one would be OK by me (if that matters...lol) as our needs coincide with BPA.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Legend
Legend
V
Tunsil?

So, people would be okay w/letting Schwartz walk and then spending the number 2 overall pick on an OT?

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Not sure about that site, but definitely similar ones.

Got this one using the Composite Rankings on Fanspeak's on the clock. http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock
I liked your draft, but like mine it lacks a premium selection on the OL. Loved these picks: Manny Ogbah, Perry (remind me of Carlos Dansby), Sean Davis and Michael Thomas

2: R1P2
DE DEFOREST BUCKNER
OREGON

32: R2P1
QB PAXTON LYNCH
MEMPHIS

65: R3P2
WR WILL FULLER
NOTRE DAME

99: R4P1
WR RASHARD HIGGINS
COLORADO STATE

138: R4P40
RB CJ PROSISE
NOTRE DAME

141: R5P2
S K.J. DILLON
WEST VIRGINIA

172: R5P33
OT SPENCER DRANGO
BAYLOR

173: R5P34
C COLE TONER
HARVARD

176: R6P1
TE THOMAS DUARTE
UCLA

223: R7P2
WR MICHAEL THOMAS
SOUTHERN MISS

I managed to get Durango in the 5th (even though I think he'll be selected higher).

I did get my highest rated QB in the draft in round 2. I would put money on Paxton going in the 1st.

Got a bunch of WRs, because they kept popping up at value positions in their draft. I really like the Michael Thomas pick, underrated prospect that I doubt last til the 7th round. I think Rashard Higgins is a plug and play WR in this offense because of the prostyle-wco system he played in at Colorado State. Not the biggest fan of Fuller, but in the 3rd round its value even if he's not a complete WR he's a legit deep threat.

KJ Dillon is one of my favorite S prospects, I think he's steal in the 5th.

I truthfully don't know much about the C and TE I drafted but they were in the BPA range at the time.

Last edited by edromeo; 03/30/16 12:30 PM.
Legend
Legend
Tunsil?

So, people would be okay w/letting Schwartz walk and then spending the number 2 overall pick on an OT?

I'm just going to ignore the "letting him walk" part, because its not true, you know its not true, and just continue to say it anyways..

Schwartz is gone. It sucks, but if Tunsil grades out better than everyone else, and they don't believe enough in the guys we have, or a guy we could get later.. then take him..

Denver "let" a bunch of players "walk" and will most likely fill their spot with a rookie.. Baltimore does it every year..

I don't understand this need to continually harp on the same thing over and over, it cant be changed.. we have to move on from it and try to get better.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tunsil?

Wouldn't be my 1st choice, but if Ramsey is gone and Hue isn't sold on a QB, He's probably BPA.

JT is not going to play forever, and after the recent exodus most likely won't re-sign or extend here unless things have changed a lot for the better.

I'd prefer a trade down at that point, but if we can't, I might go Tunsil.

Fiercely Independent.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Tunsil?

I don't think there is any logic going around like that. Schwartz is gone. letting or him going on his own really is irrelevant.

Getting Tunsil cause he is the BPA possibly at #2 is a wise move. He is a "MAJOR" upgrade on Schwartz. He would be a possible seamless transition to LT when Joe T hangs up the cleats. Be content and agree it is a good move if we make it. Has nothing to do with wanting Schwartz gone. It coming close to draft time and Schwartz for whatever reason is gone.

For whoever is slamming Vers regarding his loyalty to the Browns. Right now he is on my crap list and probably vice versa...But that is not right describing him as a traitor or something. Vers has said that probably every Regime change we have...as he is disgusted like all of us regarding another Reboot. He gets frustrated and disgusted and says at some time in emotional moment he's leaving the team.

And yet he is here...every year. He goes to the games Every year. He roots his heart out every game. While others are giving up. So he's a lot of things possibly to different people...but Not a Browns' fan cannot be one of them.

Argue debate him on something else...that route is a Dead End and you all will not look good.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I'm just going to ignore the "letting him walk" part, because its not true, you know its not true, and just continue to say it anyways..

You say you are going to ignore it and then talk about it.

How do you know what is true and what is not? Were you part of the negotiating team?

Stop telling me what to think. You have zero credibility w/me.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Mock draft (without trades).

Round #1 - Carson Wentz QB -- North Dakota State
Round #2 - Will Fuller WR -- Notre Dame
Round #3 - Kamalel Correa OLB/DE -- Boise State
Round #4 - Kyle Murphy RT -- Stanford
Round #4 - Keith Marshall RB -- Georgia
Round #5 - Max Tuerek C/G -- USC
Round #5 - Justin Simmons FS -- Boston College
Round #5 - Blake Martinez ILB -- Stanford
Round #6 - Jalen Marshall WR/KR -- Ohio State
Round #7 - Jordan Walsh OG -- Iowa

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season 2016 NFL Draft Mock Drafts Pt. II

Link Copied to Clipboard