Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1088976 03/11/16 12:38 PM
P
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Finally ... NFL Network ...

Last edited by PastorMarc; 03/11/16 12:38 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Johnny Manziel waived by Cleveland Browns

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- It's time for Johnny Manziel to float off into the sunset on his inflatable swan, magnum of champagne in hand. The Browns waived their wayward first-round quarterback Friday, and the move couldn't have come soon enough for the club.

Manziel's tumultuous two seasons with the Browns were characterized by excessive partying, false promises, lies, offensive photos and videos, a 10-week stay in rehab, possible domestic violence charges and very little production on the football field.

He leaves with two years remaining on his four-year $8,248,596 contract -- $7,998,596 of which was guaranteed. And the Browns have only two victories in his six starts to show for all their millions and troubles.

The only thing left for the Browns is to try and recoup some of the guaranteed money they've paid Manziel and avoid paying him some of what's still owed in the event he's suspended by the NFL for violating the personal-conduct policy.

From a cash standpoint, they still owe him guaranteed base salaries in 2016 and 2017 of $1,169,872 and $1,004,125. The Browns kept Manziel for a couple of days to see if a team might offer a conditional late-round pick, but then opted to cut their losses today.

The Browns will now turn their attention to finding their quarterback of the future, likely with the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, where their top two candidates are North Dakota State's Carson Wentz and Cal's Jared Goff.

Manziel is under investigation by a grand jury in Dallas for misdemeanor assault and domestic-violence against his ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley, a charge that carries a maximum punishment of one year in jail and a $4,000 fine. Crowley has also secured a protective order against Manziel for the next two years.

He's also under investigation by the NFL and could face sanctions from the league, even if he's not convicted of a crime.

At the end of the season, one source close to the team said of Manziel, "He's a train wreck.''

2014 draft and season

That was a long way from "Let's wreck this league,'' which is what Manziel supposedly texted to then-Browns quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains on draft day in 2014.

The Browns traded up to draft Manziel that day, giving up a third-round pick to move up from No. 26 to No. 22 to take the former Heisman Trophy winner. But signs surfaced right away that Manziel might not have his priorities straight. He was photographed slugging a magnum of champagne on draft night, and it was the first in a never-ending string of partying photos and videos that surfaced on the Internet.

The montage featured Manziel floating on the inflatable swan while holding the ever-present magnum of bubbly, and Manziel shouting an expletive into his money phone. It included Manziel rolling up a bill in the bathroom of a bar -- a photo that left the organization deeply disturbed.

Manziel partied from coast to coast in his rookie season, turning up in Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Austin and Dallas on a regular basis. He partied poolside with Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski, and at the home of Justin Bieber along with boxer Floyd Mayweather in southern California.

The Browns kept insisting publicly that Johnny was just being Johnny, but privately they were very concerned about his off-the-field antics. Manziel flamed out in his first NFL start against the Bengals, achieving five first downs and earning an embarrassing 27.3 rating. Teammates admitted he didn't know the plays in the huddle and it was obvious he wasn't prepared.

Along the way, Manziel vowed to stop being a "jackass'' and to get it together off the field. But the day before the 2014 season finale in Pittsburgh, he overslept for his treatment after a night of hard partying and team security had to go to his apartment to find him. Manziel was confined to the locker room during the game, and fined by the club.

The day after the season, he was outraged by reports that he had a party, and blamed the media for blowing it out of proportion.

"I don't think I've been fair to (the fans) as well,'' he said. "I didn't come out and perform this year and that's what it comes down to. I'm upset with how I have handled things at times. I did grow up, and then I took a step back. It is the same story with me. We're taking one step forward and then two steps back.

"Now it is really in my court. What do I want to do and what do I want to be known as? Do I want to be known as a guy who has been in this league two years and now doing something different with his life or come in here and compete, give this thing a fair chance and work my ass off to be the quarterback and person I know I am. Am I going to put the time in and do what I need to do to be successful and that's what it comes down to."

Less than a month later, Manziel checked himself into an inpatient addiction-treatment center and remained there for 73 days.

2015 season

In his first interview out of rehab, he swore off his signature money sign and his Johnny Football nickname. He moved to a quiet, suburban golf community and had one of his high school coaches, Julius Scott, move in with him for a few months to help keep him sober.

But soon, stories began to emerge of Manziel out partying again. In May, about six weeks after leaving treatment, he threw a water bottle at an 18-year-old who was hounding him for an autograph at a golf tournament in Texas. The photographs included six-packs of beer nearby -- the first sign that perhaps Manziel was off track again.

The major red flag went up Oct. 12 in Avon, Ohio, when Manziel got in the roadway argument with Crowley and admitted he had been drinking that afternoon. Crowley told police that Manziel beat her and shoved her head into the glass of the car, but she later recanted and he wasn't arrested. The NFL also cleared him of wrongdoing after a thorough investigation lead by chief investigator Lisa Friel.

Upon being cleared -- the same day then-Browns coach Mike Pettine named the starter for the final six games of the season -- Manziel issued a statement saying that league's decision should put to rest any thoughts that he had hurt Crowley.

"I appreciate the NFL's diligence and discretion in reviewing a situation that was both personal and embarrassing,'' Manziel said. "Colleen and I cooperated fully with the NFL's process and completely support their goals of making sure that every family under their umbrella is safer and more secure.

"I'm grateful that the review was so thorough and fair that there should be no question left in the public mind about what actually happened.''

Manziel vowed that he'd no longer be an embarrassment to the organization -- beginning with the upcoming bye weekend. Instead, he partied all weekend in Austin, Texas, and Columbus, Ohio, and then lied to coaches about it, saying the video that surfaced from the Austin bar was old.

Manziel lost his starting job, and Pettine later admitted that Manziel's problems were "deeper-rooted'' than they initially thought when they drafted him. He stressed that Manziel would have to earn back his team's trust.

Instead, he dropped the ball.

As the season wound down, stories of Manziel out partying locally increased.

The day he was diagnosed with the concussion, Manziel showed up for work disheveled and out of sorts and was immediately sent to the trainer. He was diagnosed by an independent neurologist that day and then ruled out the following day.

The Browns were actually effectively done with Manziel the final week of the season when he flew to Las Vegas just two days after being ruled out of the season finale with a concussion. According to USA Today, Manziel wore a blond wig and fake mustache and went by the name of Billy so he wouldn't be recognized.

The day of the season-ending 28-12 loss to the Steelers, Manziel missed his concussion treatment and was ultimately fined. The club couldn't reach him all day and didn't know where he was. As the day wore on, they grew increasingly miffed by another huge embarrassment to the club. Those close to Manziel also couldn't locate him that day.

Manziel finally showed up the day after the season -- a day after Pettine and general manager Ray Farmer were fired -- but the Browns gave him the cold shoulder, league sources said. Owner Jimmy Haslam was busy addressing the team and introducing Sashi Brown, the new football boss.

On Jan. 30, Manziel had the altercation in Texas with Crowley, and Fort Worth police searched for him via helicopter. Crowley accused him of beating her and causing hearing loss. Manziel's father said he tried twice to get back into rehab and if he didn't get help he "wouldn't make it to his 24th birthday.''

On Feb. 2, Brown made it clear the Browns would cut ties with Manziel as soon as the league year opened March 9. The team held onto him for two days in case he could draw something on the trade market.

"We've been clear about expectations for our players on and off the field," Brown said in a statement. "Johnny's continual involvement in incidents that run counter to those expectations undermines the hard work of his teammates and the reputation of our organization. His status with our team will be addressed when permitted by league rules. We will have no further comment at this time.''

The Texas incident with Crowley -- for which he faces possible jail time and suspension -- was just more confirmation that Manziel was wrecking the team more than he was "wrecking this league.''

In his eight starts, Manziel went 2-6, including 2-4 this season. He's completed 57 percent of his passes with seven touchdowns and seven interceptions and earned a 74.4 rating.

League sources close to Manziel believe he can play in the NFL.

"But not in his current state of mind,'' one told cleveland.com.

Now, he's no longer the the Browns' problem.

The brief, torturous tenure of Johnny Football in Cleveland is over.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/03/johnny_manziel_waived_by_cleveland_browns.html

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Thanks for the memories!

Cleveland Brown sVerified account
@Browns
The #Browns have waived QB Johnny Manziel.

📰 ยป http://brow.nz/1nCWevZ

Tweet

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Goodbye and good riddance you piece of crap.

Next up: Dwayne Bowe

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Legend
Legend
Hopefully he gets the help he needs.

Man, what a disappointment he was here.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Already posted. Looks like your cut post will be waived. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
The writing was on the wall with him.

P
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I agree with both statements Y-Town ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Already posted. I bet that your Manziel post will be cut by the Refs. wink

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Just about everybody is including coaches and FO people. frown

Legend
Legend
Three separate posts about it shows the overall feeling.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Already posted. I bet that your Manziel post will be cut by the Refs. wink

as it should be...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
its a damn shame for the person as well as the team.. that said ... pack fast and get the hell out

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What a sad story...

With that said, this is the best take i've seen on this so far.

Quote:
Love the trolling by the Browns to cut Johnny hours before he's scheduled to wake up.

rofl

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Best news relating to the Browns to happen since Ray Farmer was announced terminated.

This is the most prime example to say, GOOD BYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE! Johnny, get help you loser. Listen to your dad.

Shot of Crown Royal happening as soon as I get home!

Legend
Legend

Hopefully he gets what he deserves.

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #1088999 03/11/16 12:53 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Hopefully he gets what he deserves.

in jail.... dont drop the soap!!!

Tulsa #1089000 03/11/16 12:53 PM
Legend
Legend
Manzeil?!? laugh

What a freakin' disappointment he was.mad

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm stunned we weren't able to trade him for anything, simply stunned.

Though this should obviously happened at 4:01 pm on Tuesday, its nice to seem the Browns do something right.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Everyone wants in on the Manziel gone thread creation lol.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Though this should obviously happened at 4:01 pm on Tuesday, its nice to seem the Browns do something right.

My guess is that they were waiting to see if the NFL would suspend him. That would've allowed them to void the rest of the guaranteed money they owe him. They still may be able to, but it would've been a slam dunk if he was suspended. Actually, I believe I read it was written into his contract.

Last edited by Flap; 03/11/16 12:58 PM. Reason: i suck at spelling

Legend
Legend
If I was the Browns, I would have waited until 1:45am to make the announcement.... that's when most bars here make "Last Call".

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
If I was the Browns, I would have waited until 1:45am to make the announcement.... that's when most bars here make "Last Call".

prp...these guys haven't faced the media yet, have they?

It would make perfect sense for Haslam to call a presser at 2am, Sat. morning. rofl

Last edited by mac; 03/11/16 01:13 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1089031 03/11/16 01:16 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: mac
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

prp...these guys haven't faced the media yet, have they?

It would make perfect sense for Haslam to call a presser at 2am, Sat. morning. rofl

now that's funny brownie

Last edited by texaslostdawg; 03/11/16 01:17 PM.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Well, I'm in SHOCK superconfused

Because it took until today to do it LOL

Ya know what, he's a 24 year old kid that needs help. I hope he gets it and can maybe someday resume his career.

I didn't like the pick when we made it, somewhere during last year, it looked kinda like he might be something worth holding onto, then the wheels came off again.

Too bad, I wish the kid well.

#GMSTRONG

โ€œEveryone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.โ€
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Funny how sad it is by axing a player that almost , and I'm sure it's only temporary, makes me not care we failed with our internal free agent extensions yday during that fiasco.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
To hell With Johnny, I hope the girl he hurt gets the help she needs. I hope Johnny is done in the NFL. At least he's done here. Was a bad pick when we made it and it never got better. Buh Bye John Boy. Here's hoping you end up in jail where you belong.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Dawg_LB #1089040 03/11/16 01:21 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Judging by your celebration it seems you also don't care that we failed in drafting a first round QB.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I assume 5 or so years from now when we finally have a title contender, we will lose to a Manziel led Cowboys team in the SB.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Flap #1089044 03/11/16 01:24 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Flap

My guess is that they were waiting to see if the NFL would suspend him. That would've allowed them to void the rest of the guaranteed money they owe him. They still may be able to, but it would've been a slam dunk if he was suspended. Actually, I believe I read it was written into his contract.

I disagree. If the Browns were truly waiting to see if the NFL would suspend him, then there would be no reason to cut him today. Did they really expect a suspension to be handed down two days into FA?

The more likely scenario is they attempted a last ditch effort to try an trade him, which was silly to believe he had any trade value, and when there was zero interest, Manziel was waived.

Bottom line, the Browns made a positive decision today.

ddubia #1089045 03/11/16 01:24 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Judging by your celebration it seems you also don't care that we failed in drafting a first round QB.

Personally speaking, I lamented that fact two years ago.
Mourned the loss and moved on.... now, we get to celebrate the only remaining possible positive that could have come of it.

Browns is the Browns

ddubia #1089051 03/11/16 01:25 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D

Not really factoring I never, ever wanted anything to do with him. I was the Bridgewater fan, and we'd not be talking Qb this draft had we went that route. But that's a topic that's been discussed above and beyond lol.

Dawg_LB #1089054 03/11/16 01:26 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I just don't get celebrating a Browns failure.

#gmstrong
ddubia #1089056 03/11/16 01:28 PM
Legend
Legend

I think it's more celebrating that the failure is now off the books and nothing but a bad memory.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Flap

I disagree. If the Browns were truly waiting to see if the NFL would suspend him, then there would be no reason to cut him today. Did they really expect a suspension to be handed down two days into FA?

The more likely scenario is they attempted a last ditch effort to try an trade him, which was silly to believe he had any trade value, and when there was zero interest, Manziel was waived.

Bottom line, the Browns made a positive decision today.

I can't argue one bit of that logic. I just know the contract void has been discussed. And I agree 100%, they did something good this morning, reasoning be damned.

ddubia #1089060 03/11/16 01:30 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D

I view removing a female hitting, alcoholic and Lord knows what all drugs involved too, user off the team as a cause for happiness.

If you want to view it like you are, then yes - pretty sad another first round pick, another Qb, wasted. But I won't let that thought pattern get me down. We are perennial draft picking losers, so...

ddubia #1089061 03/11/16 01:31 PM
Legend
Legend
It's not celebrating the failure, it's celebrating that we've finally recognized and taken action to move on from the failure.

That's a positive.

Browns is the Browns

ddubia #1089081 03/11/16 02:01 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

We failed the minute the card was sent in. I'm just happy his freak show has left town. Hopefully, he'll be spending next season behind bars where he belongs.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
what a shame...

ThatGuy #1089086 03/11/16 02:05 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
I assume 5 or so years from now when we finally have a title contender, we will lose to a Manziel led Cowboys team in the SB.

First, you're a dreamer if you think this team will be a title contender in five years. Not happening.

Second, Johnny may or may not end up on the Cowboy's roster this season, but I seriously doubt he's in the league five years from now. By then he will have assaulted five more women and been suspended for life. Once a woman beater, always a woman beater.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Manzeil Cut!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard