Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Open carry at the Republican National Convention?

03/27/16 12:34 PM—UPDATED 03/28/16 12:46 PM
By Christina Coleburn

A petition for the open carry of firearms at the Republican National Convention has amassed more than 42,000 signatures as of Monday.

The convention is scheduled to take place in Cleveland from July 18 to 21 at the Quicken Loans Arena, which bans all weapons on property. While Ohio allows open-carry, the venue’s ban is permitted by state law.

The petition’s author, known as N A, finds fault with the policy, calling it “a direct affront to the Second Amendment.” Pointing to an article that ranks Cleveland among the United States’ most dangerous cities and mentioning “the possibility of an ISIS terrorist attack,” the author said the Republican National Committee and the Quicken Loans Arena are putting people at risk.

“Without the right to protect themselves, those at the Quicken Loans Arena will be sitting ducks, utterly helpless against evil-doers, criminals or others who wish to threaten the American way of life,” the petition reads. “All three remaining Republican candidates have spoken out on the issue and are unified in their opposition to Barack HUSSEIN Obama’s ‘gun-free zones.’”

The author then called on the Quicken Loans Arena, the National Rifle Association, Ohio Gov. John Kasich, the Republican National Committee and the GOP presidential contenders to act.

None of the individuals named in the petition immediately responded to a request for comment from NBC News.

On the Sunday morning talk shows, Trump declined to discuss the petition at length.

“I have not seen the petition,” Trump said on ABC. “I want to see what it says. I want to read the fine print. I have to see what it says. I’m a very, very strong person for Second Amendment. I think very few people are stronger. And I have to see the petition.”

When host Jonathan Karl asked Trump to put the specific petition aside and delineate more broadly about the notion of delegates carrying firearms at the convention, Trump refused to consider the prospect.

“I don’t want to forget the petition,” Trump told Karl. “It’s the first I hear about it — of it, and frankly, you know, nobody is stronger on the Second Amendment than me. But I would like to take a look at it.”

A federal spending bill apportioned $50 million to Cleveland to help with the cost of convention security, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. The paper reported that the city has proposed using part of the funds to purchase 2,000 sets of riot gear.

Although the City of Cleveland would not comment on operational security matters, it said in a March 18 statement that it looked forward to a successful convention while “working with our federal, state and local security as well as our business partners.”

This article has been updated to reflect an increase in the number of petition signatures.

Link

Saw this the other day when it was a petition and thought it was insane. Let's tote our guns around the convention just in case some violence breaks out... LOL @ the GOP

Then just saw this on Facebook:

Republican National Convention: Secret Service Says No Guns Allowed at Party Nominating Event

MAR 28 2016, 7:48 PM ET
by ANNA MEROD

The United States Secret Service said Monday that attendees of the Republican National Convention in Cleveland in July will not be allowed to enter the event if they are carrying a firearm, despite the growing number of signatures on an online petition asking the RNC to permit firearms.

The petition on Change.org has accrued more than 46,000 signatures directed toward the Quicken Loans Arena (where the convention will be held), the RNC and the Republican presidential candidates Donald Trump, Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas and Ohio Gov. John Kasich. The petition noted that the Quicken Loans Arena prohibits weapons on its premises, though Ohio is an open-carry state. The arena's ban "is a direct affront to the Second Amendment and puts all attendees at risk," the petition's author wrote.

However, private employers and entities are permitted to ban firearms despite the open-carry law, according to Ohio state law. The Secret Service, in response to interest around the petition, also noted a separate law, Title 18, United States Code Sections 3056 and 1752, that permits the agency to overrule state open-carry laws when it is overseeing a protected site.

"Only authorized law enforcement personnel working in conjunction with the Secret Service for a particular event may carry a firearm inside of the protected site," Secret Service spokesperson Kevin Dye said in an emailed statement. "The Secret Service works closely with our local law enforcement partners in each state to ensure a safe environment for our protectees and the public. Individuals determined to be carrying firearms will not be allowed past a predetermined outer perimeter checkpoint, regardless of whether they possess a ticket to the event."

The GOP convention spokesperson Kirsten Kukowksi said the Republican Party will continue to support the Second Amendment, but will follow the orders of Secret Service first and foremost.

"The Republican Party has been and will continue to be a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment. It is in our platform and is strongly supported by our candidates. The Republican National Convention is a national special security event which means the Secret Service is the lead agency and we will defer to their planning as it relates to safety and security of the convention," Kukowski said in a statement on Monday.

Trump declined to share his opinion about the petition on the Sunday morning talk shows, but said that he would look into it.

"I have not seen the petition," Trump said on ABC. "I want to see what it says. I want to read the fine print. I have to see what it says. I'm a very, very strong person for Second Amendment. I think very few people are stronger. And I have to see the petition."

When the ABC host Jonathan Karl asked Trump to speak more broadly about permitting delegates to carry firearms at the convention, Trump continued to refuse to comment.

"I don't want to forget the petition," Trump told Karl. "It's the first I hear about it — of it, and frankly, you know, nobody is stronger on the Second Amendment than me. But I would like to take a look at it."

Trump also warned earlier in March on CNN that his supporters will riot at the convention in Cleveland if he fails to win the nomination.

"I think you'd have riots," Trump told CNN on March 16. "I think you'd have riots. I'm representing a tremendous many, many millions of people."

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the city has proposed to purchase 2,000 sets of riot gear as part of its move to spend the $50 million federal security grant awarded to the city for the July RNC event.

link to 2nd article

Apparently we should allow open carry everywhere so why not at the RNC? OMG, and if Trump loses???? It would be a gun fight.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
A
Legend
Legend
A
And, you posted this.........why? Some want to open carry (which is legal in Ohio), into Quicken Loans Arena, which has a no guns allowed policy (which is legal for them to do as well - banning guns).

And, the secret service has said there will be no guns allowed.

So, what was the point of posting this?

Oh - that's right, if Bernie were going to be there, he'd not allow it, but he'd charge you for the privilege of not allowing it.

And if hillary were going to be there, only those that paid $100,000 in cash would be allowed to have a gun, but any e-mail about it would be deleted.

Got it.

A
Legend
Legend
A

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
I posted it because it's hilarious and ridiculous to even think about toting guns around the national convention of the GOP!

So, feel however you want but what a farce Republicans have become. OF COURSE THEY WON'T ALLOW THIS! OF COURSE! They talk a big game about protecting gun rights, but they don't want Trump followers packing guns into the convention, OMG!

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/28/16 09:49 PM.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I posted it because it's hilarious and ridiculous to even think about toting guns around the national convention of the GOP!

So, feel however you want but what a farce Republicans have become. OF COURSE THEY WON'T ALLOW THIS! OF COURSE! They talk a big game about protecting gun rights, but they don't want Trump followers packing guns into the convention, OMG!

Biased much?

It's not trump supporters that can't carry in Quicken Loans arena - open or concealed. NOBODY can carry in Quicken Loans arena. Not even sanders suckers, or hillary fans.

What's hilarious is you trying to make this an issue.

Legend
Legend
It looks like it's the secret service, not the republicans who don't want people carrying. The entire political establishment is a farce, it's not like the republicans have a monopoly on it. The dems are parading out a lying backstabbing hypocrite and bernieclause to battle the incompetent adolescents on the other side of the aisle. Fun times we live in.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Would've loved to see Trump on the stage, and everyone in the crowd holding up rifles, shot guns, AR-15s, and similar weapons; would've encapsulated everything wrong with politics in America these days.

Legend
Legend
Here's my theory:

The original petition was started by a far-left hactivist who saw the delicious opportunity to orchestrate a bad-optics 'black ops' to set up the RNC.

Here's the genius behind it: it doesn't even have to work (as a petition) to do its real job- which is to generate EXACTLY this kind of conversation. Any sane person would already know that no guns would ever be allowed inside the Q for this event, and that no petition- regardless of the number of signatures- would ever change this policy. However.... it's quite a clever way to manipulate the RNC's optics on such a controversial issue.

As far as press and appearance goes, it places them in a no-win situation: they HAVE to be part of the 'no guns crowd' (Quicken, Secret Service, etc) which will be portrayed as 'anti-gun'... because here in America, we're only allowed binary thinking (it's the law, you know?).
Check.

AND they could also be portrayed as having created the monster that now wants to go to prom with them.
Mate.

In either scenario, they are set up to look dumb at best, and hypocritical at worst. And the media won't care which characterization gains traction, because it's a ratings win either way for them.

It's actually quite devious and clever, when you think about it.
Machiavellian, even.

Sounds like something I might do...
...well, you know- if I'd thought of it.

naughtydevil

mwahahahahaaaaaaaaaa....

"too many notes, not enough music-"
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
What is the point? Why does ANYBODY need to take a gun to a political convention?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Only a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Some posters that I have enjoyed in the past and think are good dudes have really disappointed me with their childishness in this thread

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Would've loved to see Trump on the stage, and everyone in the crowd holding up rifles, shot guns, AR-15s, and similar weapons; would've encapsulated everything wrong with politics in America these days.

Oh c'mon now Rocket.. admit it: secretly, deep down inside you're glad they won't be allowed to carry because if (and with Trump I DO mean a big IF) 42,000 armed people showed up in a confined space and no one got shot, it would blow away the gun control narrative that the presence of a butt load of guns is a precursor to gun violence! poke thumbsup

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
You're probably right on with that assessment since the user who started this has removed his/her online ID.

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

Biased much?

Umm let me think about this one... YES I AM.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist

Yep. Good ole boys hatin' and huntin' cause we're skeeerd of everything club.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
EVERYBODY:

Before this goes any further, I am a firm believer in gun rights. I served in the military, I love this country and I think a man should be able to protect his family and hunt for food with a gun.

I just don't think open carry in publicly populated areas is a good idea because it seems like STUPID TENDS TO RULE THE DAY IN MURICA!

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
This was just a troll job, and some people have bought into it. Look, it was never going to happen, and if it did, the odds of nothing happening are slim to none. For all of the reasons that the petition's wording and the fact that it won't happen will make news, on the flip side those same arguments will be made the next time something happens in a crime-ridden, gun-free zone, those arguments will be brought up.

Personally, I find it hilarious and I'm almost shocked that any legitimacy was ever given to it.

While I would love to see it happen to see the results, the human side of me wouldn't want to see that result.

Last edited by YepTheBrownsRule; 03/29/16 05:55 AM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'm glad they aren't allowing guns there.

because Bro, you KNOW somebody was gonna get popped if you had people with guns by the thousands there, especially trump supporters.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
LOL Wow Arch, talk about shooting the messenger...

Geez, Look, you know my stance on guns by now.. Don't own one, but like the idea I can if I decide. That's simple.

But, the most ardent republican/conservative out there has to admit, it's a toxic environment and there are factions out there that would love nothing more than to carry guns into a political convention. For what purpose I don't know.

I'm not sure about this, but I seriously doubt they've ever been allowed before either making this a kind of new thing. Maybe in the time of Lincoln or way way back and if so, man it's a different world out there today.

For me, this is a pile of nonsense. When I first heard of this petition, I laughed at it because I knew the Secret Service would never allow it.

So, it's kind of Moot.

As for why someone would post this, the answer is simple, because he wanted to. There doesn't have to be another reason needed. It doesn't violate any board policies that I'm aware of. So why not?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Damn. That was probably a great way to get rid of the RINO part of the party.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
because if (and with Trump I DO mean a big IF) 42,000 armed people showed up in a confined space and no one got shot, it would blow away the gun control narrative that the presence of a butt load of guns is a precursor to gun violence! poke thumbsup

One event, successful or unsuccessful wouldn't "prove" or "blow away" anything.. it would be one event in a series of data points.

Or let me put that another way, if (and it's another big if) a couple protesters were there getting mouthy and one amped up zealous supporter fired and shot and then bullets started flying and half a dozen people got shot, would that "blow away" the argument that having places packed with guns is the best way to deter criminal behavior? Would you be willing to concede that?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
DC, it's not about the guns for me. It's about some of those that carry them..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
DC, it's not about the guns for me. It's about some of those that carry them..

For me, honestly, it's about mixing guns into a situation where there is a good chance for "mob mentality" to take over anyway. The folks at these conventions are the hardest of hard core believers in their cause. You get 42,000 of them in one place, amped up, adrenaline flowing.. it only takes one spark to ignite the whole powder keg.

I wouldn't give it a second thought passing most of them individually on the street carrying a gun... but put them all in the same place at the same time with emotions running high.. yea, that doesn't sound like a good idea.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
but according the GOP and NRA, guns are needed absolutely everywhere.

for protection, so not allowing guns, by their logic, should be a violation of the 2nd amendment.

Last edited by Swish; 03/29/16 09:15 AM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
And let's not forget, The booze will be running free also.

You couldn't pay me to get within 15 miles of Downtown Cleveland for those days.

I was talking to a friend the other day and he was telling me the Bertram Conference center here in Aurora has folks coming in for the convention.. I won't be going to the Bertram that week either.

In fact, I think I'm going to do a weeks worth of grocery shopping and just stay in the entire time they are here. I'll be on Lock down.. LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
aye Rocket, if we get these passes, imma bring a 2 vest for us.

i still got the plates for them too. so as long as we dont get shot in the head, we'll be ok.

- Theodore Roosevelt
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
If they were spending zero dollars on security and not $50 million including secret security I'd either want guns or to not have high value assassination targets there at all.

Big difference between politicians gathering in a private place and large crowds of people sitting around defenseless in colleges/malls/movie theaters etc.

If you can screen everyone for guns, you don't really need guns. If you just say "no guns allowed" but have zero ways of enforcing it, those are the areas where the discussion is necessary.

Legend
Legend
Doesn't that convention center have a no guns allowed policy? It doesn't need to go any farther than that.

#GMSTRONG
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Doesn't that convention center have a no guns allowed policy? It doesn't need to go any farther than that.

Yup. They do to my knowledge. And they actually check if people have guns or not was my point wink

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Kingcob

Yup. They do to my knowledge. And they actually check if people have guns or not was my point wink

Exactly and I don't think a stupid online petition is going to suddenly make this convention center change their policy's. This is just much ado about nothing.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

The Convention center has a no guns policy. Same with the Q, Progressive field and the Wolstein Center as well as First Energy Stadium.

So even if the city said, hey, we'll let you carry, and the RNC said, yup, go ahead and carry, and the State said, sure,, have it, it would make no difference. Those facilities have rules and policy in place to stop guns in the building.

My guess is that there will be metal detectors at every entrance.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
You're probably right on with that assessment since the user who started this has removed his/her online ID.

I tried to connect the dots for everyone.
I guess that makes you "the sharpest knife in this drawer"....

naughtydevil

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Kingcob

Exactly and I don't think a stupid online petition is going to suddenly make this convention center change their policy's. This is just much ado about nothing.

Especially when the online petition was started by a liberal who is just trying to prove a point and generate news.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
but according the GOP and NRA, guns are needed absolutely everywhere.

for protection, so not allowing guns, by their logic, should be a violation of the 2nd amendment.

I have expressed my concern with the GOPs position on the second amendment multiple times.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:
If you can screen everyone for guns, you don't really need guns. If you just say "no guns allowed" but have zero ways of enforcing it, those are the areas where the discussion is necessary.

Very well stated King.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
This entire thing is hilarious!

We hear all the time how there should be NO gun free zones. When called on the carpet about it, the GOP doesn't want to back their own proposal.

They can get mad that they're being called out, but it's funny as hell!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
all of a sudden, policies matter bro.

they cry when there are no gun zones, then somebody makes a petition against it, and now they go "deal with it".

i dunno what people on this board want, anymore. it seems like people change their stances on a ton of things.

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
This entire thing is hilarious!

We hear all the time how there should be NO gun free zones. When called on the carpet about it, the GOP doesn't want to back their own proposal.

They can get mad that they're being called out, but it's funny as hell!

I guess I haven't been keeping on the whole "there should be NO gun free zones" thing.

Here's a fact: There ARE gun free zones.

Here's another fact: Ohio allows concealed carry. (pending sheriff approval)

Another fact: Ohio allows open carry.

Back to my first fact: There ARE certain areas where carrying a gun simply is not allowed, AND, the owner of a business is perfectly within his/her rights to post a NO GUNS sign, and that right has legal authority.

As to the article, Quicken Loans Arena does not allow guns. Period. Also, the secret service has said there will be no guns.

End of story. I'm not getting what is hilarious.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Libs want to see this as a contradiction. If the secret service was not saying 'no guns', there would be people carrying concealed. I can see the secret service's point, as I watched RFK get shot on the news when I was little. It just makes them less jumpy.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Give it up fella's, Libs think with their Feelings, not their heads. You can't make them understand unless you tell it in some sad story.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Open carry at the Republican National Convention

Link Copied to Clipboard