Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Tunsil?

So, people would be okay w/letting Schwartz walk and then spending the number 2 overall pick on an OT?

We spent a #3 on Joe in 2007. Why not draft his successor who can play RT before transitioning to LT? Tunsil deserves mentioning in the top three picks, IMO. He may go #1 to the Titans...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Legend
Legend
V
I get that. However, I think the Browns should have just kept Schwartz.

This team is full of needs. They created more needs when they allowed good, young players to walk. Now, you wanna use the number 2 overall pick on a position that was a strength?

That can't be what analytics is about, can it? rofl

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I think a lot of the reasoning used in this article is sound. At the end when it narrows the selection down to two players I would choose the other player. As we all know there are a ton of wholes to address. I think Jack playing closer to the LOS and Horton's past statements that pressure is more critical in his D than coverage would tip the scale toward Jack.

Link

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for the article.

I prefer Ramsey over Jack.

I think Jack is a 3-4 ILBer or a 4-3 WLBer. I don't think he will be a big sack guy. I think he will be used more in coverage. He's a good player, but I think Ramsey is much more dynamic.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I get that you don't want a QB at #2, nor Tunsil as a RT. I don't recall seeing you state who you want at #2 - do you have a favorite candidate for that spot?

V
Legend
Legend
V
It's an ongoing process. I am still not sure.

I think I would prefer to trade down and acquire more picks. If not, I think the smart pick is Ramsey.

I want to keep an open mind and not get tied into one player. That's dangerous.......

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Would Jack play closer to the line of scrimmage? I've seen several projections of him as a SS recently.

I think coverage is Jack's best asset. His pass rushing is somewhat of a question mark.

The playing both ways ability is somewhat intriguing. Hue does like bigger backs.

I wish there was more tape of Jack pass rushing.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Anybody got a medical update on Jaylon Smith, LB?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
j/c

Anybody got a medical update on Jaylon Smith, LB?
More fluff than news, but this is from today anyway.

http://www.mlive.com/irish/2016/03/notre_dame_defensive_coordinat.html

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Legend
Legend
C
Thanks for the article.

I think Jack is a 3-4 ILBer or a 4-3 WLBer. I don't think he will be a big sack guy. I think he will be used more in coverage. He's a good player, but I think Ramsey is much more dynamic.

Jack is a huge sack guy. He just doesn't get to the QB. Huge sack though.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ah, repartee that you can't find anywhere but Dawgtalkers.

I think Ramsey is a fine player. I also think the safety crop is pretty deep.

I think Jack can impact the front seven and the secondary. His run fits provide the defense with a dimension we don't have. He neutralizes TE mismatches. I think he can rush the passer from unexpected positions. I think his range and versatility will help reduce third down conversions.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Jack is my second favorite player in the draft. His versatility is huge in today's NFL.

Legend
Legend

I think I would prefer to trade down and acquire more picks. If not, I think the smart pick is Ramsey.

I want to keep an open mind and not get tied into one player. That's dangerous.......

Join the Ramsey bandwagon!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Thought I would put together some highlights of some of the pass rushers in an article that I saw...so minus the article here is the top five pass rushers in that article...sorry it's late and I'm bored have more fun watching than typing about these guys...I like Lawson and Bosa the best so far. But Ogbah I find interesting.

article I got this from is here

http://www.neosportsinsiders.com/nfl-draft-pass-rushing-prospects-plenty-browns-need-take-one/6/

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
B
Legend
Legend
B
Tunsil?

So, people would be okay w/letting Schwartz walk and then spending the number 2 overall pick on an OT?

Sure. Allows us to have Joes replacement in house.

Not saying that is what I want....I do like Ramsey. I'd take him

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Tunsil?

Sure. Allows us to have Joes replacement in house.

Not saying that is what I want....I do like Ramsey. I'd take him

Wouldn't Tunsil be an upgrade? I do prefer Ramsey as well or Bosa

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Love Ogbah, can't understand why most draft media have Spence ahead of him. Bigger, Faster, better production.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Thanks for the article.

Jack is a huge sack guy. He just doesn't get to the QB. Huge sack though.

Jack..played in the Pac 12 where they all were in these spread offenses with many WRs...UCLA had to play NICKEL defense most of the time. Jack was so athletic that he was like an extra DB in coverage.

He is one of the most athletic LBs in several drafts. Usually they come as one trick ponies with great Sack stats in college but they have to be relied on several things including coverage. He has explosion he can keep the shoulder close to the ground. I know many rely on "STATS" alone but if you watch the games you will see they drop him in the middles as they are in Nickel D.

What nobody - nobody has mentioned is how well he controls OL when they come at him he actually bullies them and throws them aside when the time comes. One of the best I've seen from a college LB coming into the pros.
Myles Jack will be a star.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
My top 5:

Tunsil, Buckner, Ramsey, Jack, Elliott (although I don't think he goes top 5)

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: candyman92

Join the Ramsey bandwagon!

I do remember you being the first guy pimping Ramsey. Good call.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
What nobody - nobody has mentioned is how well he controls OL when they come at him he actually bullies them and throws them aside when the time comes. One of the best I've seen from a college LB coming into the pros.

I didn't mention it because I don't think it's accurate. In fact, that is one of his weaknesses. I can post a few online scouting reports that support my opinions, but they will probably just be ridiculed because they agree more w/my line of thinking and less w/the way you guys see him.

But, if you would like to see them to help the educational process, I will be glad to post them. I just don't want to waste my time finding them when they will be automatically dismissed because opinions are more important than knowledge.

Oh, and I am not saying that Jack isn't a good player. I think he is a fine player and should have a long career in the NFL, provided he is healthy. Not running the 40 is a bit of a concern......He is a very versatile player that will help the defense. I don't think he'll be a big-time sack guy or a huge impact player.

Let me know if you want to at least look at the reports.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: edromeo
Love Ogbah, can't understand why most draft media have Spence ahead of him. Bigger, Faster, better production.

He looked stiff on film. He tested better in the agility stuff than I expected. I don't know where he trained for the combine, but they did a good job. If it translates back onto the field, he could be a good one.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't read on line scouting reports I just look at film when I can.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I saw what Vers saw with Jack. I'm not interested in using our first rounder on him. It's not just positional value. If Jaylon Smith hadn't been injured I would definitely consider him for our selection.

Last edited by clevesteve; 03/31/16 11:32 AM.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Maybe he does look stiff in comparison to Spence; but is that enough to offset being more productive, bigger and faster (and cleaner off the field). Hand to fire I think Ogbah is a first round edge rusher.

Last edited by edromeo; 03/31/16 11:34 AM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would not draft any defender from the Big 12 Conference just sayin' ... JMO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

I was going to post a rebuttal to this, but since A&M and Missou left the conference the only one that's been worth a damn so far is Verrett.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

I was going to post a rebuttal to this, but since A&M and Missou left the conference the only one that's been worth a damn so far is Verrett.

They just don't put much stock in Defense, I'm not saying there aren't individuals that have some talent but with all there emphasis on the Offense I just don't see how they are ready to play in the NFL at least not right away ... JMHO

Last edited by PastorMarc; 03/31/16 11:59 AM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
I saw what Vers saw with Jack. I'm not interested in using our first rounder on him. It's not just positional value. If Jaylon Smith hadn't been injured I would definitely consider him for our selection.

What if Jack is the next Luke Kuechly?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

If I thought he was I'd be all for it. I don't think he is. I might be wrong but I don't think he's that level of player.

C
Legend
Legend
C

If I thought he was I'd be all for it. I don't think he is. I might be wrong but I don't think he's that level of player.

I was mainly commenting on the part about positional value. If a guy is a stud, then it doesn't matter where you draft him.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I was mainly commenting on the part about positional value. If a guy is a stud, then it doesn't matter where you draft him.

well yeah, that's why I said I would have considered a healthy Jaylon Smith.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Educating oneself is not a bad thing.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I all for educating myself on football...but thanks for another dig wink

I just trust my eyes over articles or Amateur scouting reports from guys who have to make 300 of them.

I use to read a lot of reports...but found that too many of them were just regurgitated from another report...too many wee just way off once they hit the NFL.

So as stated if I can actually watch some film and not highlight but the game. I form my opinion. If I could not see anything then its a lot of reports to read as a 2nd best.

Just what I prefer to do over the years.

I would take you looking at 6 game films of a player over a report from these so called experts.

Jmho on the draft.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
It's a tool.

For example:

--if I see a player during a game that I like, I will then research what others have to say about him.

or....

--I check the reviews on the top rated players across several sites, than I watch as much as I can of those players.

C
Legend
Legend
C
It's a tool.

Name calling.

E
Legend
Legend
E
ok
In draft past...I had a lot of time to do those things.

Actually you were the one who didn't have the time...lol

I just watch some film and trust my eyes. Not much time to corroborate just too many drafts where we didn't come close to my wants...and our NON-SUCCESS has me less interested in the draft as before. Don't know if its the age? The fact my sons no longer live with me frown Or tired of us picking guys I really don't wish and having to support them after we do.

I maybe rather not know they suck...lol laugh

jmho - I have a good eye.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not directed specifically at you EO, we happen to have a similar assessment of Jack.

Although most posters have their preferred prospects I think it's important to have an open mind. So I thought about Ramsey, and I did a First Pick mock taking Ramsey #2 overall.

Ramsey is a legitimate first round candidate for the Browns. If you consider Haden will be out indefinitely you have to ask yourself how the team can adjust.As a rookei Ramsey's talent is such that I would be comfortable starting him in place of Haden. It's difficult to identify anyone currently on the team I'm willing to say the same thing about. The team is already suspect on the other side at the #2 CB. So the need at CB is dire. If and when Joe comes back you can pair Ramsey with him for a nice CB tandem or move Ramsey to Free where he's likely to play long term and the Browns need a solution as well.

There are other OLB/DE/pass rush options that could be available in this draft if the team decides to pursue them. I'm not saying they offer the defense the same skills as Jack who I continue to view as a special player.

Along with everything else Jack does he can defeat blocks.

Vers if you have evidence to the contrary, I want to see it.

Last edited by guard dawg; 03/31/16 05:53 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I really liked your post. Very open-minded and logical. I don't think posters have to agree, but just keep it real w/out all the BS.

Jack might be the better player. Ramsey might be the better player. Both are good. We're just offering our opinions.

I do want to address this part:

Quote:
Along with everything else Jack does he can defeat blocks.

Vers if you have evidence to the contrary, I want to see it.

tab said:

Quote:
Quote:

I replied:

Quote:
I didn't mention it because I don't think it's accurate. In fact, that is one of his weaknesses. I can post a few online scouting reports that support my opinions, but they will probably just be ridiculed because they agree more w/my line of thinking and less w/the way you guys see him.

But, if you would like to see them to help the educational process, I will be glad to post them. I just don't want to waste my time finding them when they will be automatically dismissed because opinions are more important than knowledge.

Oh, and I am not saying that Jack isn't a good player. I think he is a fine player and should have a long career in the NFL, provided he is healthy. Not running the 40 is a bit of a concern......He is a very versatile player that will help the defense. I don't think he'll be a big-time sack guy or a huge impact player.

Let me know if you want to at least look at the reports.

You see.......defeating blocks and bullying and throwing guys aside are a bit different.

But, here are a couple of reports that agree w/my line of thinking:

Quote:
WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal size at linebacker. Does not possess ideal length and can get caught up in the wash. Not an explosive hitter.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079677/myles-jack

Quote:
Negatives

A bit of a tough fit, schematically. Is he a WLB? MLB? SS?
Inconsistent instincts. Seen both good and bad in this area.
Knee injury ended his 2015 season.
Underwhelming inside the box to me. At his best in space running free.
Must learn to use his hands to stack and shed blocks.

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2016/2/11/10966498/myles-jack-2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report-ucla

Quote:
Jack is a pure weak-side linebacker because of his ability to shoot gaps and play in space. The other linebacker positions will present massive challenges for Jack, largely because he was rarely asked to do more at UCLA. And when he was, he struggled. It is difficult to find tape of Jack shedding blocks and making plays at or behind the line of scrimmage.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/26077...than-sure-thing

Pretty much the same evaluations that steve and I have on the guy. Doesn't mean we are right, but we're not talking out of our butts, either.

I do want to add that there are many positives w/the guy. I didn't post those. It was not an attempt to deceive anyone. I was only addressing the LOS/bullying blockers thang. If you guys click on the links, you can see all of his positives and a couple of other negatives, as well.

I wonder how many people will actually read all of that?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Cool, thanks for clarifying your observations and providing the links. Coincidentally, I had seen the Bleacher Report and the CBS Sports analysis before. Generally, those assessments of his weaknesses are fair. I just have to hope the team takes all relevant factors in to account and makes the best decision possible.

Last edited by guard dawg; 03/31/16 10:57 PM.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season 2016 NFL Draft Mock Drafts Pt. II

Link Copied to Clipboard