Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Ability to start immediately ‘ideal’ for Browns’ 1st-round pick, but not mandatory

Sashi Brown details philosophy on Sirius XM interview

As he talked about the Browns as a whole Wednesday, executive vice president of football operations Sashi Brown stressed the need for patience and continuity with the plan in place, something Cleveland’s three AFC North rivals have executed at a high level.

The same philosophy carried over when the conversation shifted to the team’s first of 10 picks in the 2016 NFL Draft. At No. 2 overall, immediate expectations will be understandably high but the Browns won’t be caught up in the short-term, Brown said.

“I think ideally you have the best player in the long run that can play the soonest,” Brown said Wednesday in an interview on SiriusXM’s The Opening Drive. “That rarely is the case. We are going to take a long-term view.”

Brown laughed off any prodding about the Browns’ specific plans at No. 2. It’s a spot in the draft that has produced a number of Pro Bowl and even Hall of Fame players, many of whom found immediate success as rookies. One of them, quarterback Robert Griffin III (2012), is one of the newest editions to the Browns’ roster.

Still, even the best players to come off the board at No. 2 have taken time to develop into their full potential. Recently retired wide receiver Calvin Johnson compiled just 756 yards as a rookie, one of two seasons in which he finished with fewer than 1,000 yards. Six-time Pro Bowl quarterback and No. 2 pick in the 1999 NFL Draft Donovan McNabb started just six games as a rookie.

Griffin’s arrival, and the depth at other positions on the roster, provides some assurance the Browns will have some options if the No. 2 pick isn’t quite ready to perform by the season opener.

“We're going to make the decision to select the player to give us the best chance to win over the long-term,” Brown said. “That is the goal here to have that sustained success. We will be patient in developing our players here. Ideally, you'd have a guy that when we line up in September Week 1 is out there playing for us. We will be patient and make that determination depending on who we select.”

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Ability-to-start-immediately-%E2%80%98ideal%E2%80%99-for-Browns%E2%80%99-1st-round-pick-but-not-mandatory/bc0c82d6-07f5-4dd6-a66f-67c7ef45c01a

His comments could all be a smokescreen, but even still, these comments scream quarterback to me.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: mac
DePo clearly stated that he wanted the decision making process to be based on 60% analytics and 40% scouting, meaning the use of analytics would now carry more weight than scouting.

mac, you have to read more carefully. Depo doesn't "clearly state" anything in that article. The statements are those of the article writer who is giving his opinion of what Depo wants based on his past knowledge of him. Since Depo has never done any of this in football, the author is taking large liberties in stating what Depo wants and what he will do. He is basing his statements on Depo's past and that was in baseball.

Read it again. I know you strive to be accurate in your comments. Read it again, more carefully. Pay attention to who is doing the talking. It is not Depo. Depo is not quoted for those statements. Depo doesn't clearly state anything in that article.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

In other words, Depodesta wants control of the decision making process for the Browns.

Here's my link that says Sashi has control of the 53 man roster. Please post your link that says Depo has it.

I seriously doubt that any football coach is going to be comfortable with that sort of "power grab" by the analytics side.

Here's my link where Hue Jackson calls analytics "The beautiful part of the Cleveland Browns structure"

http://www.scout.com/nfl/browns/story/1632234-hue-on-analytics-the-beautiful-part

Please post your link showing that he is not on board.

The Browns results during the free agency period would be a clear indication that analytics is already the driving force behind the decision making process of this franchise and DePodesta is in control, with the blessing of Haslam.

My link:
http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-brow...market-1.670630

"We obviously can’t put ourselves in position where we’ve got four starters going in free agency," Brown said. " ... Once you get into in March in free agency, you’re effectively in free agency with your own guys.

"Ideally, we would have gotten these guys signed earlier. We just didn’t. As we look forward to the system we’ll build, where we’ll invest, how we’ll invest, I think all that will unfold moving forward."

Again, sounds like Sashi (not Depo) is in charge and he found it a problem that Farmer let them get to free agency in the first place. That would be the football guy, not analytics, Depo or anything else you feel like making up.

Please post your link showing Depo used analytics to make those decisions.

But I'm not so sure that DePodesta is a team player.

If DePodesta was given total control of the decision making process by Haslam, there is no incentive for him to compromise.

If DePodesta isn't big on compromising with Hue and the coaching staff, it might not be long before some of the coaches have had enough of the great experiment and are ready to move on?

Again link for wanting total control
Link for not wanting to compromise.

You are just making stuff up and repeating it enough times in hopes that people will start taking it as fact.

I know you're going to struggle finding a link that remotely agrees with what you posted above so I'll help you out with one last link.

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/54076588.jpg

E
Legend
Legend
E
Diam was that a presser or an article? Is it posted already on here? I missed it. The article isn't dated April 1st is it? lol laugh I already fell for one...that became fact after the fact. Sad but true.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Dub...was it some crap source that printed the story?

Story has been out for a couple of days and do you see updates, refuting the information in the story?...

What will differentiate DePodesta and Cleveland is extent to which Browns use data science to influence decision-making. DePodesta would like decisions to be informed by 60 percent data, 40 percent scouting. Present-day NFL is more 70 percent scouting and 30 percent data. DePodesta won't just ponder scouts' performance but question their very existence.
link

Hope this helps you out...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There's only David Fleming's opinion on what Depo is thinking with those 70/30 numbers.

There are no quotes from Depo in that whole story.

A story about Depo.

Think about that.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Dub...was it some crap source that printed the story?

Story has been out for a couple of days and do you see updates, refuting the information in the story?...

mac, you really need to read it again. Depo is not quoted anywhere in that article, yet, you say, "DEPO CLEARLY STATES..."

All you have to see is that it is the writer of the article making those statements, NOT DEPO. He never heard Depo say those things or he would have quoted him.

You're reading a story somebody wrote about Depo and you bought it hook-line-and-sinker that it is Depo doing the talking. It's not. It's somebody talking about him.

Hope that helps you out.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Bill Parcells said he has spent 6 hours w/new @Browns executive Paul Depodesta discussing player scouting. Bill was impressed

https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/720404041423912961

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Here's my link that says Sashi has control of the 53 man roster.

Can you send that to eotab and ddub? They both insist that Hue has control. What was the wording? Hue is the admiral and the rest are his soldiers..........something like that. rofl

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Debated making its own thread, but I'll put this here.

Philosophy and Tools of a Successful NFL GM

Interesting read. Has me conflicted about how to approach the draft.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Helluva read, good story man.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thank you. Very good article.

I think this part is pretty important:

Quote:
B/R: Guys like Frank Gore are like that?

SM: Yeah, I'm sure you've heard the story, but I talked to him the night before the draft [in 2005]. I'm at Mike Nolan's house, eating dinner. My family hasn't moved out yet, and I get a call from an agent asking me, "Hey, do you mind talking to Frank?" No, not a problem. I love Frank. I've watched him the last three years. As a true freshman, I watched him beat out [Clinton] Portis and [Willis] McGahee.

So, he calls me, and I can't understand a word he's saying, not a word. He's emotional, and I finally get down to it. He asks me, "Will you draft me?" I said, "We have the first pick in the third round. If you're there, we're taking you. I promise you." He said, "I'm going in the first. I've already talked to three teams. Four teams said they'll take me in the second." I said, "Look, I'm being honest with you. If you're there with the first pick in the third round, I'm taking you."

So, we take him, and he comes to the building. He walks by all the coaches and everybody else, and he says, "I want to know where Scot McCloughan's office is." He comes in, gives me a hug and starts crying. He said, "You're the only one who was honest with me." You start getting that type of credibility because they all talk to each other. In free agency, they're going to call around. They'll call Frank and say, "Hey, this Scot McCloughan guy, is he a good guy? Has he lied to you?" To this day, even five years later, we still talk.

Analytics are cool. They are a tool. But, you don't have to go to school to know that treating people fairly is the best rule.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Interview with Parcells about DePodesta:

https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNFL/status/720425800705544192

M
Legend
Legend
M
Thanks for the link. The '5 tool baseball player' reference sheds a little more light on how they are developing their analytical approach.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Thanks for the link. The '5 tool baseball player' reference sheds a little more light on how they are developing their analytical approach.

DePodesta is not a person who is only interested in his way. He went from being the "computer guy" to being a scout that was out watching high school players in person. This is a different type of dude.

M
Legend
Legend
M
A driven individual. Might even revolutionize the healthcare industry as well.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Of the three top guys..........Jimmy, Sashi, and DePo...........the latter is the one guy who gives me a ray of hope.

I like that he talked to a guy like Parcells. That's smart. I think he was trying to equate baseball's 5-tool players w/a similar rating system for football players. Parcells would be a good guy to ask.

I think Hue is okay. He's bright. It's his mouth and emotions that concern me a bit. But, I think he was a good hire. I just worry he will take the fall for the poor performance of the team.

It's the other two guys who worry me. Jimmy and Sashi. Last year's moves smell like moves Sashi would make. Skrine and Sheard. Not respecting Gipson. Marketing over player evaluation. And then we have Haslam. A known cheat. A guy who puts more emphasis on marketing/making money than on winning. Always w/a new plan and asking for patience. LOL..........what a joke.

I was thinking it would be grand if he went to jail. Perhaps DePo could right the ship while Jimmy was incarcerated???????????

C
Legend
Legend
C
I agree with most of your post besides one little detail. I don't know why Sashi Brown would be interested in marketing. That reeks of Alex Scheiner (who is no longer with the team).

V
Legend
Legend
V
Scheiner for sure. He really helped improve the value of the team.

I could be wrong about the Sashi/marketing thing. I said it mainly because Scheiner is gone, the Columbus move that would rip off tax payers, the failure to negotiate new contracts w/our free agents, him being a lawyer rather than a football guy, and some of his comments thus far.

But, my conclusions are just opinions. Not factual.

M
Legend
Legend
M
There's an interesting article on what Mark Shapiro is doing with the Blue Jays that correlates to what the Browns are attempting to mimic with their new strength and conditioning program.

Seems to fit along the analytics approach of what DePodesta is implementing. I'm not sure if many are aware, buy apparently, Haslam offered Mark Shapiro the position last year to run the Browns.

I'll post in that thread for those interested.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Scheiner for sure. He really helped improve the value of the team.

I could be wrong about the Sashi/marketing thing. I said it mainly because Scheiner is gone, the Columbus move that would rip off tax payers, the failure to negotiate new contracts w/our free agents, him being a lawyer rather than a football guy, and some of his comments thus far.

But, my conclusions are just opinions. Not factual.

It is interesting that the Columbus stuff died around the same time Scheiner got bounced.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Post it. More information is good.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not trying to argue w/you, because you have been cool, but I think it died because of the public and media backlash.

C
Legend
Legend
C
There's an interesting article on what Mark Shapiro is doing with the Blue Jays that it correlates to what the Browns are attempting to mimic with their new strength and conditioning program.

Seems to fit along the analytics approach of what DePodesta is implementing. I'm not sure if many are aware, buy apparently, Haslam offered Mark Shapiro the position last year to run the Browns.

Baseball and basketball teams are on the cutting edge of technology when it comes to keeping their players healthy (here is a great article on the Pirates, http://grantland.com/the-triangle/pittsburgh-pirates-healthy-season-playoff-chances-future-impact/).

I don't see as many people praising football teams for the same thing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think it died because Urban was worried about the stink rubbing off.

Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
There's an interesting article on what Mark Shapiro is doing with the Blue Jays that it correlates to what the Browns are attempting to mimic with their new strength and conditioning program.

Baseball and basketball teams are on the cutting edge of technology when it comes to keeping their players healthy (here is a great article on the Pirates, http://grantland.com/the-triangle/pittsburgh-pirates-healthy-season-playoff-chances-future-impact/).

I don't see as many people praising football teams for the same thing.

It's a threat to the good old boys club that runs rampant in the NFL.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
deleted

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Post it. More information is good.

Posted in 'strength and conditioning' thread. Again, it related to Mark Shapiro's approach with the the Blue Jays, but can't help believe this is the approach the Browns are taking with all the changes made in this area.

Enjoy the read.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: ddubia
deleted

What?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I think it died because Urban was worried about the stink rubbing off.

What?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
It's a threat to the good old boys club that runs rampant in the NFL.

I am not saying this in a confrontational manner, but man..........that makes no sense to me. I think the old boys want to win. They will explore every opportunity to win. It's not about a club. This isn't Augusta, Jack.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I decided I didn't want to get into it.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was a joke.

Basically saying no one does anything in Columbus w/o Urban Meyer's approval, and he only associates with winners.

Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Oh............I was wondering why my comments on DePo, Sashi, and Haslam pissed you off.

It was the comment about Hue, right?

Sorry bro..........you guys have ZERO proof that Hue is in charge. I provided quotes from Sashi himself that said it was his call. Of course, tab called me a coward for posting an article. There, you are NOW "into it." grin

V
Legend
Legend
V
Oh.............I'm a little slow tonight. smirk

C
Legend
Legend
C
Oh.............I'm a little slow tonight. smirk

"Tonight."

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks cfrs. It's always uplifting to know I have so many friends on here.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Thanks cfrs. It's always uplifting to know I have so many friends on here.

Jokes are okay too.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You forgot the comma after jokes. wink

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum cont...The Browns Front Office...not ready for prime time...

Link Copied to Clipboard