Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: farmville_dawg
Seems to me if for some reason this young man got drafted say in the 2nd round vs the 1st because of those tweets someone should be liable for the millions in money he lost. What say ye?

NFL teams would get an official notice if a player fails a drug test. They would not act upon a twitter comment.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Demo44
I don't have the link, but I read that was a false report.

Good news. I'm happy for the young man.

[Linked Image]

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Seems to me if for some reason this young man got drafted say in the 2nd round vs the 1st because of those tweets someone should be liable for the millions in money he lost. What say ye?

NFL teams would get an official notice if a player fails a drug test. They would not act upon a twitter comment.

It's not all about the NFL. What about family, friends, the general public's opinion about someone. Things like that can put notions in peoples heads that cannot be erased. I know, I've been there. It is not fun.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ddubia

It's not all about the NFL. What about family, friends, the general public's opinion about someone. Things like that can put notions in peoples heads that cannot be erased. I know, I've been there. It is not fun.

Teams release information about players hoping that their draft stock will drop (even if the information is not true). You can never trace it back to a team because it's an anonymous source. This is how you end up getting actual real scoops, do the dirty work, teams will pay you back later.

This has been happening for quite a while now.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Round 1 Pick 8 Ezekliel Elliot,RB(OSU) - call me a homer, but run the ball and stop the run. Takes pressure off RGIII or whoever at QB.
Round 2 Pick 32 Jonathon Bullard, DE (FL) - Run stuffer with size
Round 3 Pick 65 Dak Prescott, QB (Miss St)
Round 3 Pick 77 Joshua Garnett, OG (Stanford)-
Round 4 Pick 99 Rashan Higgins, WR Col St
Round 4 Pick 100 Fahn Cooper, OT Ole Miss
Round 4 Pick 138 Bryce Williams, TE East Carolina
Round 5 Pick 141 Austin Blyth, OC Iowa
Round 5 Pick 172 KJ Dillon, SS WV
Round 5 Pick 172 DJ Reader, DT Clemson
Round 6 Pick 176 Kavon Frazier, FS Central Michingan
Round 7 Pick 223 Kris Frost ILB Auburn

It's heavy offense QB, RB, WR, TE, OC, OG, OT but targeted areas on Defense FS, SS, DE, DT, and ILB

Legend
Legend
Just tried a mock draft simulator again. I don't think I'd complain one bit if the draft worked out like this:

8: R1P8 - OLB MYLES JACK UCLA (As I've mentioned there are about 7 guys I'd considered "top of the class", and we should take whichever one falls to us. It was Jack in this case.)

32: R2P1 - WR JOSH DOCTSON TCU (There are also a good number of late-first worthy WRs. Hopefully one will drop to the 2nd, and Doctson did here. Thought that was a steal)

65: R3P2 - G VADAL ALEXANDER LSU (HERE is where you draft lineman. Not the first round (except Left Tackle), not the 7th round. Good value.

77: R3P14 - C NICK MARTIN NOTRE DAME (And a Center to go with the Guard)

99: R4P1 - ILB JAYLON SMITH NOTRE DAME (This would be a total steal. The guy is a Top 5 pick without the injury. Red Shirt him a year, let him heal and use him long term with Miles Jack.)

100: R4P2 - QB CARDALE JONES OHIO STATE (Probably a homer pick, but he would of been a first rounder last year and a 4th round is good value. Let the coaching staff work with him for 2 years while we see what we have with RG3.)

138: R4P40 - OT COLE TONER HARVARD
141: R5P2 - DE ROMEO OKWARA NOTRE DAME
172: R5P33 - WR KENNY LAWLER CALIFORNIA
173: R5P34 - OLB VICTOR OCHI STONY BROOK
176: R6P1 - TE DAVID MORGAN II UTSA
223: R7P2 - CB BRIEAN BODDY-CALHOUN MINNESOTA

Legend
Legend
Man, I think that Smith has a ton of talent, but I am really worried about the nerve in his knee never fully recovering. Nerves heal really slowly, and who knows if he will ever come all the way back. I respect his talent, but I think that the 4th is too soon to take that kind of risk. (especially when we need to add players who can definitely help us, not who won't help us until 2017, and who may never help us.

There was a video of him walking posted in February, and he was walking very slowly, and not lifting either foot very far off the ground. From what I have read, one of the big problems with the nerve he damaged is a condition called "drop step", where he may never be able to lift the foot off the ground very much. That would definitely hinder his ability to play.

Would I risk a 7th rounder on him? Probably. Like the DB we drafted last year, he's worth that risk. However, like that DB, he may not come back enough for the team to feel comfortable that he would be able to play for us. Smith's injury was far, far more severe than that sustained by Ekpre-Olumu.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
The fourth is probably fine. We have so many picks that not all of the guys we pick will be making the team. Pushing one of three fourth round picks to next year is not a horrible idea.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yea i would do a 4th on Jaylon. Its worth the risk. he gets a reshirt year and we hope to get the top 5 prospect in 2017. If not we release him and like many 4th rounders, dont make the cut year 2.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Man, I think that Smith has a ton of talent, but I am really worried about the nerve in his knee never fully recovering. Nerves heal really slowly, and who knows if he will ever come all the way back. I respect his talent, but I think that the 4th is too soon to take that kind of risk. (especially when we need to add players who can definitely help us, not who won't help us until 2017, and who may never help us.

Why not? We're not competing for anything next year. Take a red-shirt on a guy that could be the best guy of the draft class without the injury.

Quote:
There was a video of him walking posted in February, and he was walking very slowly, and not lifting either foot very far off the ground. From what I have read, one of the big problems with the nerve he damaged is a condition called "drop step", where he may never be able to lift the foot off the ground very much. That would definitely hinder his ability to play.

You're talking about a guy walking barely a month and a half after he injured it. Of course he's going to walk slow and gingerly on it. Give him a year on the PuP list, and it'll be like we got 3 first round picks in 2017.

Legend
Legend
My point is, that according to an ESPN article, the nerve may not be regenerating as expected, and he may continue to suffer from this drop foot syndrome forever, which would effectively end any chance of even playing flag football, let alone competing in the NFL.

Ifo Ekpre-Olumu's injury was far less severe. He was worth risking a 7th round pick on, but that experiment lasted less than one year. Smith's injury includes nerve damage, and nerves may, or may not fully regenerate. It's a roll of the dice, but no one knows for sure how it will turn out. Would I take a chance on him with a 7th, like in the case of Ekpre-Olumu? Sure. Would I risk a 4th round pick, where teams find starters, and quality starters for that matter? No, I would not.

If I ran a team without a ton of holes, then I would take a shot at the kid. However, the Browns are a team with more holes than settled starters. It makes no sense to spend a 4th rounder on a kid who is just as likely (or more) to never play in the NFL, as he is to do so.

We need players who can help us. There will be players taken in the 4th round of this draft who will be average to above average starters over the course of their careers. We need to find those guys, not take longshot bets on a guy with major knee damage, who may never play in the NFL.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Would I risk a 7th rounder on him? Probably. Like the DB we drafted last year, he's worth that risk. However, like that DB, he may not come back enough for the team to feel comfortable that he would be able to play for us. Smith's injury was far, far more severe than that sustained by Ekpre-Olumu.

I've had 2 surgeries specifically on the peroneal nerve. I'm not sure exactly what happened to his nerve - but I could guess based on my conversations with my doctor when I first injured the nerve.

I ended up compressing mine playing football. When explaining to my doctor what happened and what I was experiencing, he literally turned white. He explained that he needed to decompress it. The analogy he used was if you took a hammer to a wire, it compresses it - what he had to do was to cut the sheath (or the plastic coating of the wire) without hitting the nerve (the copper wire threads themselves).

If he did, the result would be drop foot. He told me the odds of that happening were 1 in 200, or 1/2%. If I were the 1 in the 200 he mentioned, I'd need several more surgeries to fix the drop foot. I felt lucky that it was successful, but ended up having a second procedure because I had 2 separate compressions.

My point on this was that several years later, I still have pains from my back to the pinky toe (the nerve goes I believe from L5 through the glutes down the hamstring,around to the outside of the knee and side of the calf and to the pinky toe. Also, I still have complete numbness near the incision (about 7 inches long, and 1-2 inches wide.)

If he's experiencing anything similar to what I am, I question if he's going to be able to have much of a career. He certainly has more doctors, PTs, and time to recover than I have, so hopefully he can play. Unless I had the post op reports and other doctor reports, I wouldn't touch him before the 7th round. Even then, I'm not sure I would.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Cleveland Browns
GAME OVER!

Your score is: 7907 (GRADE: C)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 8: Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 2 Pick 1: Josh Doctson, WR, TCU (A-)
Round 3 Pick 2: Tyler Boyd, WR, Pittsburgh (A+)
Round 3 Pick 14: Sheldon Day, DT/DE, Notre Dame (C)
Round 4 Pick 1: Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State (A)
Round 4 Pick 2: Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State (A)
Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Matt Ioannidis, DT, Temple (B-)
Round 5 Pick 2: Kevin Byard, SS, Middle Tennessee (C)
Round 5 Pick 33 (COMP): Joe Schobert, OLB/ILB, Wisconsin (A)
Round 5 Pick 34 (COMP): Keith Marshall, RB, Georgia (A-)
Round 6 Pick 1: Mike Thomas, WR, Southern Mississippi (C-)
Round 7 Pick 2: KeiVarae Russell, CB, Notre Dame (B+)

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I read up on what happened, and unfortunately watched the video. I must have blocked that out of my mind or something, because I watched every minute of that game. Poor kid.

Anyway, he stretched the nerve. I'm not a doctor, but from what I've read, he's making the progress he's expected to at this point - and there was no surgery like mine. That makes me change my tune a little bit. Hopefully he continues on the recovery and gets back to 100%. I hope he's taken and has a successful career, I also hope he doesn't get drafted in the first 3 rounds so that he can collect on his $5m insurance policy.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Browns 4 Round Mock Draft

8 DEFOREST BUCKNER DE Oregon
32 LAQUON TREADWELL WR Mississippi
65 KENTRELL BROTHERS ILB Missouri
77 JOSHUA PERRY OLB Ohio State
99 JORDAN HOWARD RB Indiana
100 JAYLON SMITH OLB Notre Dame
138 KEVIN HOGAN QB Stanford

I felt #100 was a good spot to pick up Smith.. top 5 talent.. dealing with injury

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
could not resist a morning of the draft draft!

Your score is: 8702 (GRADE: B-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 8: Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss (A+)
Round 2 Pick 1: Robert Nkemdiche, DT/DE, Ole Miss (A-)
Round 3 Pick 2: Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma (A)
Round 3 Pick 14: Xavien Howard, CB, Baylor (A)
Round 4 Pick 1: Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State (B)
Round 4 Pick 2: Roberto Aguayo, K, Florida State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Blake Martinez, ILB, Stanford (A-)
Round 5 Pick 2: Adam Gotsis, DT/DE, Georgia Tech (B+)
Round 5 Pick 33 (COMP): Kavon Frazier, FS, Central Michigan (A-)
Round 5 Pick 34 (COMP): Demarcus Robinson, WR, Florida (A-)
Round 6 Pick 1: Kevin Hogan, QB, Stanford (A-)
Round 7 Pick 2: Henry Krieger Coble, TE, Iowa (C+)

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Finally, a mock that I can buy into... thumbsup

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V

I have not tried this mock in awhile but I think I could live with this one. The late round guy I am hoping the Browns look at is Keith Marshall, RB from Georgia. Seems like the concerns with his speed returning were alleviated with his 4.3 40 time.

Your score is: 9110 (GRADE: B+)

Round 1 Pick 9 (T.B.): Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss (A)
Round 2 Pick 1: William Jackson III, CB, Houston (A)
Round 2 Pick 8 (T.B.): Kevin Dodd, DE/OLB, Clemson (A-)
Round 3 Pick 2: Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame (C+)
Round 3 Pick 14: Carl Nassib, DE/OLB, Penn State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 1: Max Tuerk, C/OG, Southern California (A+)
Round 4 Pick 2: Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State (B)
Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): John Theus, OT, Georgia (B+)
Round 5 Pick 2: Keyarris Garrett, WR, Tulsa (A+)
Round 5 Pick 33 (COMP): Maurice Canady, CB, Virginia (A)
Round 5 Pick 34 (COMP): Aaron Burbridge, WR, Michigan State (A+)
Round 6 Pick 1: Glenn Gronkowski, FB, Kansas State (B-)
Round 7 Pick 2: Keith Marshall, RB, Georgia (A+)

Legend
Legend
Butch Davis become the Buccs' GM?

V
Legend
Legend
V
No, it's Tom Heckert.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
No, it's Tom Heckert.

Joke was about giving up a 2nd rounder to move up one spot (like Kellen Winslow trade)

V
Legend
Legend
V
I know.

I was joking about Heckert moving up one spot to draft TRich.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Ahhhh.............the memories:

Quote:
BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns weren't going to let anyone block them from Trent Richardson.

Desperate for a playmaker to ignite a sputtering offense, the Browns traded three later picks to the Minnesota Vikings and moved up one spot to select Richardson, Alabama's explosive running back, with the No. 3 overall pick in the NFL draft on Thursday night.

The dynamic Richardson should make an immediate impact on a Cleveland offense that scored just 218 points last season and had just four rushing touchdowns.

"He's passionate. He's productive. He's durable and he's the kind of runner we feel is going to help us get our offense together to score the points that we need to win the games that we're going to win," said Browns coach Pat Shurmur, who went 4-12 in a tumultuous first season. "He's a terrific runner."

Draft trade tracker
Keep up with all the moves made during the 2012 NFL Draft with this comprehensive breakdown of each trade, including the Browns' bold first-round move. More ...
Shurmur said the Browns were convinced a team would leapfrog them to select the 5-foot-9, 228-pound Richardson.

"We knew that as we went through the process that he was our guy," Shurmur said.

Richardson seemed destined in most mock drafts to be going to the Browns at No. 4, but about an hour before the draft, Cleveland general manager Tom Heckert pulled off his trade with Minnesota. Heckert sent the Vikings picks in the fourth (No. 118), fifth (139) and seventh (211) rounds to move up and select Richardson, who rushed for 1,679 yards last season.

It was a bold move by Heckert, who entered the draft with 13 selections and planned to use some of them to move if he really liked a player. Last year, Heckert passed up taking Alabama wide receiver Julio Jones at No. 6 and acquired extra picks from the Falcons. He used one of those - No. 118 - in the package for Richardson.

During the offseason, the Browns fell short in their pursuit for quarterback Robert Griffin III. Cleveland was outbid by Washington, which selected the Heisman Trophy winner second overall. They weren't about to lose out on getting the best runner.

The Browns also have the No. 22 pick in the first round.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8...rent-richardson

C
Legend
Legend
C
Because the Vikings were going to take Richardson. . .

I liked the pick. The trade was always ridiculous.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Because the Vikings were going to take Richardson. . .

I love the sarcasm, but you know......about 35% will read it and believe it.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Defense focused:
Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 8: Jalen Ramsey, FS/CB, Florida State (A+)
Round 2 Pick 1: Noah Spence, DE/OLB, Eastern Kentucky (B+)
Round 3 Pick 2: T.J. Green, FS, Clemson (A+)
Round 3 Pick 14: Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 1: Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame (A-)
Round 4 Pick 2: Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State (B)
Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Kenny Lawler, WR, California (A+)
Round 5 Pick 2: James Cowser, DE/OLB, Southern Utah (B+)
Round 5 Pick 33 (COMP): Rees Odhiambo, OG, Boise State (B-)
Round 5 Pick 34 (COMP): Beau Sandland, TE, Montana State (A-)
Round 6 Pick 1: Demarcus Robinson, WR, Florida (A-)
Round 7 Pick 2: Derek Watt, FB, Wisconsin (C+)

Your Future Picks:
2017 Round 1 Pick
2017 Round 1 Pick
2018 Round 1 Pick

Offense focus:
Round 1 Pick 8: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State (A+)
Round 2 Pick 1: Josh Doctson, WR, TCU (B+)
Round 2 Pick 13 (OAK): Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 1: Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia (A+)
Round 4 Pick 2: Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame (A-)
Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Rashard Robinson, CB, LSU (A-)
Round 5 Pick 2: Aaron Burbridge, WR, Michigan State (B+)
Round 5 Pick 33 (COMP): Stephen Weatherly, DE/OLB, Vanderbilt (B+)
Round 5 Pick 34 (COMP): Demarcus Robinson, WR, Florida (A-)
Round 6 Pick 1: Travis Feeney, OLB/ILB, Washington (C+)
Round 7 Pick 2: Derek Watt, FB, Wisconsin (C+)

Your Future Picks:
2017 Round 1 Pick
2017 Round 1 Pick
2018 Round 1 Pick

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
maybe we take WR Treadwell then go up and get WR Doctson...have we ever got two of the top WR's in one draft before? I don't think we will but fun to entertain the notion...I think we get Bosa, Elliot, or Buckner

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Legend
Legend
Hey, that's a great idea!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hard for me to believe you don't want a pass rusher?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
lol just sitting here bored and waiting, thinking of different ideas to the draft.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Interesting reading this thread and how it correlates to the proclamations that are being voiced now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

Interesting reading this thread and how it correlates to the proclamations that are being voiced now.

I had the Tennessee trade pegged, and the first two positions right, but not the players. Doctson and Calhoun for Coleman and Ogbah about evens out.

Pretty much filled the positions I wanted except for RB, and next year's class is loaded there.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season 2016 NFL Draft Mock Drafts part 3

Link Copied to Clipboard