Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
exactly. we can get the quick run down online anytime with no commercials. then when they do show film, it's for two seconds of the pick then 10 seconds of some pro they compare him to. Ridiculous!

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
2 picks i loved was kindred and Coleman from auburn. rest meh will wait and see but noone should be complaining over kindred, he can play and he can hit.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Ha. You be me to it. Well played.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
2 picks i loved was kindred and Coleman from auburn. rest meh will wait and see but noone should be complaining over kindred, he can play and he can hit.

Alright Mourg, I think those guys are done feeding and it's safe to post again.............tell me why you like Kindred so much. I will then tell you why I am not that high on him. Maybe we can have a true discussion.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
I love this pick I thought he was the best player on that really good TCU defense. Coaches loved him. Played pretty much with one arm this year. Whitner clone.

Too short to play FS?

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like him cause he keeps his eyes up and reacts exceptionally well. they told him u fractured your cllarbone and will miss the season, he says no I am playing this week. He never used any excuses he showed up he made tackles and he played his ass off. He hits like a truck has ok coverage skills although he makes impactful plays. Jarring the ball lose, tipping the ball that gets picked, making the huge stop on 3rd down.

I saw his coaches get teary discussing his play after their bowl game. Special kid.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yea I see him as more of your in the box type of safety. I dont see the range to play deep. Horton likes to keep his safeties playing forward and that should suit his skillset.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks. Here is my take:

I agree w/you on some things. He is tough. He is a hard hitter. Good straight line speed. Sticks his head in there on run support.

My issues w/him are that his speed is straight line speed. I think he lacks lateral quickness. Poor hips. Gets juked out easily in the open field. Takes some bad angles in space. Poor ball skills.

I see him as a Special Teams guy. Maybe some dime.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
... it's safe to post again...

Disagreements ( rofl) on a thread about a third day pick is simply...dumb. Really? thumbsdown

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg
Known as a big hitter.

That is Horton's request...he wants little guys that hit big and Big guys that can move fast.

Actually I don't have a lot of info on these guys but it seems all that I did get info on - GOT SPEED.

For years we have been saying...OUR TEAM IS TOO SLOW...well we are finally getting fast Dawgs...if they can play football too...NICE!
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Few safeties have good hips anymore and all of those are over the top free range safeties, that can come up and press and then roam over the top.

Just isnt his skill set but u get him going forward or slipping into a soft zone and he can be very impactful.

Really wasnt any out of the box safeties to be had in this draft. Hell I thought the corners were all drafted several rounds to early.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm okay w/us disagreeing.

We'll see how it goes.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm okay w/us disagreeing.

We'll see how it goes.

I enjoy our football discussions/disagreemetns lol no fistfights lately lol

I wasnt high on this DB class at all but I did like Kindred a great deal and I am intrigued by Caldwell but this was a really weak DB class imho. I wouldnt have taken a DB outside of Ramsey in the first round and I thought he was the free range safety we were talking about earlier. I know that is one reason why u were even more ticked off that we let Gipson go. Hard to find that guy.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I thought there were some good corners in the draft.

Earlier today on the Who Do You Want in the Fourth Round, I wrote this:

Quote:
-Kalen Reed---CB from S. Miss. Can play man or zone. Plays the ball. Good hips.

Do you know who drafted him? Also, have you ever watched him play? Thoughts?

I
Rookie
Rookie
I
Kindred plays alot like a former safety we had that just won a superbowl, not great at coverage but a box tackler with huge impact.

Arsenal fc, Derry City fc, Cleveland Browns, shiny
Legend
Legend
Killer safeties are a huge plus IMO. Football can be like baseball by way of comparison. First you must be strong down the middle. We were not, but our outside edge was weaker, so we got owned there, especially with the stupid flat scheme making injuries even more ugly.

Playing through a collarbone is amazing to me. This is a hardcore keeper that can help us. Seems like a solid pick.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Good points about the knocks from the past. We weren't fast enough, didn't tackle well enough, and just got pushed around. Need some bad-bad thumpers. Maybe we found some today. Know it is wait and see, but we will be faster. Steps in the right direction.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought there were some good corners in the draft.

Earlier today on the Who Do You Want in the Fourth Round, I wrote this:

Quote:
-Kalen Reed---CB from S. Miss. Can play man or zone. Plays the ball. Good hips.

Do you know who drafted him? Also, have you ever watched him play? Thoughts?

I like him too ... I don't think he has been drafted yet or zam I mistaken?

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not drafted yet? Really? I gotta go check.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think he has been. PFF gave him the 3rd highest coverage grade in the country. Confounding.

Legend
Legend
I cannot really remember ... does Horton play a true SS/FS, or more of a right/left Safety?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Reed kinda reminded me of Buster. One of few corners that i saw that wanted to come up and kill the ball carrier. Very good speed thought he would make a better safety than corner though. Tended to get in the jersey at times. I had a 3rd on him much higher than most due to his speed, dude can fly. Plays fast.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Kindred is a poor man's TJ Ward imo. He is a guy who can play Wards role in Horton's D given time. Ray did a good job the year he was here masking Ward's liabilities, and hopefully he can do the same with Kindred down the road.

He's an old school SS imo, but with what we are trying to do that might work......assuming Jimmah actually is patient and allows these guys time to develop a roster.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Your guy just got snagged with the last pick in the draft. I am shocked the Browns didn't draft a true CB in this draft. Caldwell is a FS imo ad as I stated earlier Kinder is an old school in the box SS.

I guess they are happier with the current CBs than I am. I get that you can't really address all of your needs in one draft when your roster is utter crap, but it appears the Browns identified to problem areas (WR and lack of a pass rush) and just repeatedly threw picks at them to see what sticks.

Interesting strategy....or we have Hue "Millen" Jackson as our HC...lol.

Legend
Legend
I think that we want to see how our young players do when we are actually able to get some pressure on opposing QBs.

Face it, last year we gave opposing QBs all day long to get rid of the ball. We had 29 sacks, and IIRC, 17 came in 2 games. (not ironically, 2 of our 3 wins)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not saying I have a problem with it. I've only been vocally opposed to two of our draft picks (Kessler/Louis), and have liked most of what we did.

Ironically, I thought we had a pretty good defensive draft and got as many as 4 potential starters. However, we did have some offensive head scratches though imo....love the OL picks however.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL...........last pick of the draft. Oh well.

Legend
Legend
Oh well, that didn't work.

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 04/30/16 08:29 PM.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

And I thought it worked quite well.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

And I thought it worked quite well.

I was going to try something else, and it looked good in preview, but blew up when I submitted the post. It was really disappointing. frown

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
Kindred is a poor man's TJ Ward imo. He is a guy who can play Wards role in Horton's D given time. Ray did a good job the year he was here masking Ward's liabilities, and hopefully he can do the same with Kindred down the road.

He's an old school SS imo, but with what we are trying to do that might work......assuming Jimmah actually is patient and allows these guys time to develop a roster.

IMO we need a FS, more so then a backup SS. IC will be our starting SS.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah I'm interested how they will do that. I do think IC has more coverage ability than DK so I wouldn't be shocked if DK started strong side just because lesser of two evils putting IC in coverage. However, if I had to guess Kindred doesn't start out of the gate and we get Poyer or something like that at FS.

Its going to be a really long year...lol. In the FOs defense there was no way to fill all of the holes in the draft without trying to hit on specific players with every need and imo that wasn't the strategy. They wanted to target a few problem areas and hit it with several picks. I actually like that strategy, because I think the draft is too much of a crap shoot to try to hit every need with.

Of course I could be wrong depending upon what happens next year, but I imagine we will see emphasis on the running game and the secondary next year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
Yeah I'm interested how they will do that. I do think IC has more coverage ability than DK so I wouldn't be shocked if DK started strong side just because lesser of two evils putting IC in coverage. However, if I had to guess Kindred doesn't start out of the gate and we get Poyer or something like that at FS.

Its going to be a really long year...lol. In the FOs defense there was no way to fill all of the holes in the draft without trying to hit on specific players with every need and imo that wasn't the strategy. They wanted to target a few problem areas and hit it with several picks. I actually like that strategy, because I think the draft is too much of a crap shoot to try to hit every need with.

Of course I could be wrong depending upon what happens next year, but I imagine we will see emphasis on the running game and the secondary next year.

That and what ever new holes that can be atttibuted to FA.

To tell the truth ... Im more concerned with what we will trout out @ CB ... Really concerned if Joe Haden isn't full go in the fall.

If we can finally find a pass rush ... that can be a Big help to our backend.

[Linked Image]

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: edromeo
This isn't Kindred's cut-up but its D. Washington vs TCU.
Kindred wears #26

<< Again this is not his game-cutup it's for Sterling Shephard. But you can watch him too #26 he's wearing only wearing 1 white sock on his right leg and none on his left leg. Lines up in the slot, as a 2-deep S and a couple/few snaps at single post S.

*Watched and posted 2nd game-cut up. Its tough to grade S play from TV feed. He played most of his snaps in the slot ~60%, the rest as Cover-2 1/2 field Safety and a couple/few snaps as single post single deep S. He took a couple bad angles. We disagree some on his movement skills, but again its hard to assess on TV feed. He seemed to do a good job closely mirroring the slot receivers. He missed a couple tackles though, which is carry over form the 1st game cut-up. He appears to be a cut tackler like a CB where he lunges at legs/feet but doesn't bring his arms to wrap. But, its hard to forget that the dude is out there playing with a broken shoulder blade which undoubted effects his ability to wrap and his overall approach to contact.

Looking at this small sample size it still looks like he has potential to transition of FS/Single post S. When looking at FS in a Cover 3 scheme I always go back to something Pete Carrol said
Quote:
:"At the highest level in the NFL, the pass game is as complex as you can imagine. However, if [the free safety] can play the post and the seam route, then they can learn to play at that level.”

Different schemes look for different traits. But some I look for are -willingness to tackle -aggression -tackling effiecy (i.e. low missed tackles) -speed/movement ability and discipline to the seam/post

Kendrick for me so far is willing and aggressive but his tackling efficiency is low how much of this is due to injury? I tend to give him a pass there because I can't get over the fact that the dude is out there playing with what amounts to 1 arm. Now, I haven't watched him cover a seam or post route yet but his ability to mirror suggest that he might be able to. Still have some more digging to do there.

Last edited by edromeo; 05/01/16 09:13 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The sock tip was a good one.

Seems to do a pretty good job planting and driving on the ball. He does need to do a better job wrapping up, but with the collarbone injury it's understandable. I think it might play into his overrunning plays a bit, too. He knows he can't wrap well so is going for the solid hits.

I was trying to find 2014 tape to see how it compares.

He has a knack for making the big play.

His measurables are awfully close to Tashaun Gipson's coming into the league.

Kindred Profile

Gipson Profile

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
I like what I have seen of Kindred, but I really didn't realize how fast he is. Wow! 4.36? shocked

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like what I have seen of Kindred, but I really didn't realize how fast he is. Wow! 4.36? shocked

Crazy speed for a safety...they have him listed on the roster at least as a FS.

That to me is the position of question too.

I know we have Poyer, but I don't feel that he is the long term solution there. Im hoping this young man can/will take ownership of it.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 05/02/16 01:27 AM.

[Linked Image]

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I think you mean 4.5

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Kindred is faster in the 40 than Gipson and has a better vertical jump. Those are positives, but we'll just have to see how it all plays out...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One thing I should mention. Even though I do like this pick, one of the knocks that I gave Kindred was that he nosedives the legs a lot without wrapping up.

It didn't sink in to my head until now that a guy playing with a broken clavicle might not be able to wrap up.

My apologies.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season 2016 NFL Draft Fourth Round Pick - S Derek Kindred

Link Copied to Clipboard