Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991
Originally Posted By: Arps
So killing gators is ok, killing gorillas is bad...weird place we live in


Cajun blackened gator is pretty good. Not sure about gorilla.


[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,431
I
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
I
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,431
I realize that making someone , ANYONE pay for what happened might seem like a good idea but at the end of the day it does nothing . Disney will erect some kind of barrier to hopefully stop something like this from happening again but that IMO should be the end of it . The parents will live that day over until they stop breathing wondering just how in the hell something like that could have happened to them . The Gator was doing what gators do and the unfortunate result was the little boy died .

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Originally Posted By: Dave
...and they didn't have any warning signs about staying the hell away from the waters edge?


Signs were present. This did occur at night, so I can't speak if they were lit up.

We were down there 4 years ago and stayed on campus. There was a small pond near our building and you could see live gators in there. One side had a fence and concrete wall, but the other side was open to a set of trees. It wouldn't have been too hard to get in harms way.

As for the place this incident happened, it looked pretty wide open and the lagoon was big. I just can't play that situation out in my head. It would have happened in 4-6 seconds and nobody would have enough time to stop it.

I think fault lies somewhere in the middle. Disney can't wall off every little lagoon, pond, or puddle but they should have done more than they did, nature finds a way.

I just can't imagine. A whole family ruined, forever.


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,438
E
Legend
Offline
Legend
E
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,438
The signs say no swimming. The child wasn't swimming. He was walking along the edge of the water about a foot from shore. If you see the video reports of this, it was an actual beach, which by its very nature invites kids to play in the water. The police chief even said the kid was doing something any other kid would do.


No Craps Given
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,336
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,336
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
The signs say no swimming. The child wasn't swimming. He was walking along the edge of the water about a foot from shore. If you see the video reports of this, it was an actual beach, which by its very nature invites kids to play in the water. The police chief even said the kid was doing something any other kid would do.


The sign says no swimming. Why were the parents allowing this kid in the water? No swimming means, don't go in the water.


Can we sue the parents too?

I just hate that about our society. Sue sue sue. The sign says No Swimming. Newsflash, don't let your kid into the water.



And as for killing the gorilla vs the alligators, there's tons of gators out there. There aren't tons of Gorillas. And there's very good odds that Gorillas come from similar ancestors to us. Where as alligators, we might be looking back to the days of the dinosaurs to see where we mix with them


UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,596
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,596
And gator tastes wonderful!


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205
D
Legend
Offline
Legend
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205
From what I just heard on the news, this little boy was ankle deep in water when the gator took him - he wasn't swimming. Hell, if he had been a foot on land just off the water's edge the gator might have jumped out and got him. These animals shoot out of the water like rockets to grab prey. They are fast enough to come on land and grab a small child to drag back in the water. A beach that goes right up to the waters edge, even with a sign that says "no swimming", really doesn't convey an adequate sense of the potential danger these animals represent.

I also heard on the radio that Disney regularly removes gators from this man-made "lagoon" and they are euthanized, so its not like they weren't aware of the potential threat. I'm not an attorney, but it looks to me like a decent case for negligence on their part could be made, and I'm not a sue-first, ask questions later type guy.

I just don't know how those parents get that image out of their heads for the rest of their lives ... its awful.

Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
And gator tastes wonderful!


Sure is had some in Alabama that was cajun...YUM. Then had some a guy brought to a family gathering in Texas that was kind of rubbery and hard to eat.

Sorry guy was from Texas.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
Growing up in the Tampa area we lived on a neighborhood lake, probably 20 to 30 families lived on the actual lake, each having about 5 acres and it was maintained and gators removed. We spent a lot of time in that water as kids. Snakes were always an issue but never once did I see a gator in that lake and no kid ever got eaten.

If Disney is going to have property with water on it with a many kids as visit their facilities they need to keep them gator free and if a bunch of home owners can do it on a much larger water area, I would think Disney could easily make sure there are no gators in their waters.


#GMSTRONG
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Gators may be the one animal I have zero remorse seeing put down. Bad experience with them in the past and they're aggressive as hell killers.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,479
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,479
never encountered a gator but from what I've heard from friends they're very nasty. I can see how this could happen. It's sad obviously, but not unfathomable


"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Boston is far to the left as KC settles into the slot. Fannin is flanked out wide to the right. Judkins and Sampson are split in the backfield as the ball is hiked ... Here we go."
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,456
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,456
Suing isn't the answer.. no reason for it... It's Nature.. happens.. Like camping in the Rocky's and getting eaten by a bear.. Going on a Safari..God only knows what might eat you there.

Swimming in the Ocean and being eaten by a shark... Walking along a trail and having a snake bite you.. It's Nature..

Hang out in a middle of a drug deal go wrong and get shot to death...Shouldn't of been there... a mud slide a hurricane a Tornado... It's Nature... It happens... sad for the kid and family...

Wonder how a Momma cow or chicken feels when there young ones get eaten by humans... or a turkey at thanksgiving... here piggy piggy ..make me a good barbecue pulled pork...Man can't wait to eat all these Walleyes I caught tonight... Maybe they should of had a sign saying... get on shore..humans fishing in this area.

Everything has to eat...it's Nature...The Alligator wasn't breaking into a house to kill someone for drug money... The Gorilla didn't ask to be killed because another kid went into his space...

We the human race...aren't we special


Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Originally Posted By: FBHO71
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
So dont have an inviting beach. And toddlers cant read. And this happened at night. Signs may not be visible.


If someone can win a law suit over burning themselves with hot coffee...maybe..just maybe..these people will have a case. IDK


I don't know if you've ever read about the coffee case, but the person that won kind of had a point. I think it was McDonald's? Whoever it was, they made their coffee intentionally insanely hot so that they could use as much out of coffee beans as possible. They were warned and sued in the past. The women who was burned was the final straw.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205
D
Legend
Offline
Legend
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205
Is this sarcasm, or do you really feel this way? Because I feel like I lost about 20 points off my IQ from reading it.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,456
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,456
Yes I really feel this way...Does it bother you that people are talking about coffee beans over a kids life ?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
Originally Posted By: candyman92
Gators may be the one animal I have zero remorse seeing put down. Bad experience with them in the past and they're aggressive as hell killers.


It's snakes for me. Gators, well I've had my fun with them, fishing in water at the apartments I lived in when I was 25 and trying to bounce a plastic worm off it's nose. Never did get that gator to bite, not really sure what I had planned on if it did, anyway snakes, I grew up with a snake bite kit in my lunch box in elementary school. I hate snakes, everyone I knew hated snakes. There were more snakes per sq ft where I lived than the rest of the country, combined. The only good snake is a dead snake.


#GMSTRONG
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
I thought we was discussing eating gator ooo Beans?? in chilli or no beans in chilli?? Oh crap coffee..damn I need to go do something else I'm losing focus here willynilly

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,456
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,456
I thought you made a thread wanting deleted from this board...now your back posting again.. you are losing focus willynilly

Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
I in fact did..I was right upset with a certain person..I left and felt there was more good then bad...and was dealing with health issues that cause me to get a little moody and say things I normally wouldnt So either get used to it or maybe I lose focus again tongue

But thanks for bringing it to my attention Deisle

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,456
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,456
Hey at least your back, that's what counts... The season hasn't even started yet... this is like our mini camp. lol

Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
And while I'm thinking about this..Purple Ive not forgotten and the damn things are in my brother in laws house so I'll either venture up that way soon and make good on what I said or have my brother give you the stuff personally.

Sorry man it honestly was a bad show on my part and I'll make it right I promise.

Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
I hear you man...I liked it here but I was in a bad place and said some things I normally wouldnt...Strokes are a Mother you know what. Its changed my personality some and I'm still trying to get used to it.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Originally Posted By: candyman92
Originally Posted By: FBHO71
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
So dont have an inviting beach. And toddlers cant read. And this happened at night. Signs may not be visible.


If someone can win a law suit over burning themselves with hot coffee...maybe..just maybe..these people will have a case. IDK


I don't know if you've ever read about the coffee case, but the person that won kind of had a point. I think it was McDonald's? Whoever it was, they made their coffee intentionally insanely hot so that they could use as much out of coffee beans as possible. They were warned and sued in the past. The women who was burned was the final straw.


If I remember correctly, the lady asked McDonald's to pay for her insurance deductibles and loss of income for her son because he had to take off work to help her recovery. She had 3rd degree burns and maybe a skin graft or two. I think the total was ~$20K. They refused, so she got a lawyer and sued. The jury awarded her the money and mentioned that McDonald's initial refusal was a reason they gave it to her.

I think most people assume she was barely burnt and immediately wanted millions, like a typical lawsuit we hear on these boards every day. It wasn't like that.

I'm not completely defending the woman, but the whole fiasco could have been avoided if they simply looked at the medical bills, understood she wasn't asking for punitive damages, and figured a jury might award her a bundle if it went to trial, not to mention the attention they got from the case. Write the check, make her sign a waiver, and move on.

As for Disney, I would bet complacency played a part in this too. Just like someone mentioned above, kids could play in a lake for 20 years without incident and the whole community would feel confident it wouldn't happen there. Two days ago Disney could have said the same thing about their lagoon, not anymore.


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
I know the coffee was much hotter then Regulations called for..I watched a documentary on it and was surprised at the case she had.

I was just saying if she gets paid for coffee...Disney will pay for the eaten up child.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Originally Posted By: FBHO71
I know the coffee was much hotter then Regulations called for..I watched a documentary on it and was surprised at the case she had.

I was just saying if she gets paid for coffee...Disney will pay for the eaten up child.


Oh yeah, I don't think anyone doubts the family will sue and Disney will quickly settle out of court. They have to.


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433
R
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433
Disney settles anything. Two monorails crashed on the Magic Kingdom spur when I worked at Hollywood Studios; one of the pilots died. Settlements occurred, and the supervisors working that night got canned.

Disney doesn't mess around with safety. Same goes for Cedar Fair, the parent company of Cedar Point, and I learned that when I worked at Geauga Lake.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,248
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,248
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
The sign says no swimming. Why were the parents allowing this kid in the water? No swimming means, don't go in the water.


Can we sue the parents too?


The kid was NOT swimming. He was walking along the beach. I don't see how anyone can blame the parents for this, and I can't believe the number of people that are. These are probably either people that don't have kids, or carry their own only-child on a leash at all times.

From what I read, the parents were close by to the kid and he was just walking along the beach. It wasn't like he was unattended.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,956
A
Legend
Offline
Legend
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,956
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
The sign says no swimming. Why were the parents allowing this kid in the water? No swimming means, don't go in the water.


Can we sue the parents too?


The kid was NOT swimming. He was walking along the beach. I don't see how anyone can blame the parents for this, and I can't believe the number of people that are.


It's because we live in a "blame and shame" society anymore.

Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
The sign says no swimming. Why were the parents allowing this kid in the water? No swimming means, don't go in the water.


Can we sue the parents too?


The kid was NOT swimming. He was walking along the beach. I don't see how anyone can blame the parents for this, and I can't believe the number of people that are. These are probably either people that don't have kids, or carry their own only-child on a leash at all times.

From what I read, the parents were close by to the kid and he was just walking along the beach. It wasn't like he was unattended.


Excel the only thing I can think of is when my kids was 2 the wife and I was helicopter parents man..and was scared someone would snatch one of our kids..I damn sure wouldnt have had them near water where gators are known to be at 2:/

Let me add..without having their hand. Swimming or playing at the water wouldve been done at the pool. IDK man I was overprotective and my sons hated it but I was a nervous nelly and didnt trust people or take many chances.

I know stuff happens just sayin..

Last edited by FBHO71; 06/16/16 03:20 PM.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,438
E
Legend
Offline
Legend
E
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,438
The parents probably didnt know the pond was infested with alligators. There were no beware alligator signs. And why would anyone think Disney would allow alligators in their pond? These people are from Nebraska. They arent going to be thinking about alligators. When you go to a Disney resort, you assume it is safe.


No Craps Given
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Eve darling..I think of Florida and the first thought is gators and hurricanes.

But will concede your point they was ignorant to it.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Originally Posted By: FBHO71
Eve darling..I think of Florida and the first thought is gators and hurricanes.


Agreed.

I mean 2 very popular football teams in the state are named after those 2 things tongue

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 16,195
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
The parents probably didnt know the pond was infested with alligators. There were no beware alligator signs. And why would anyone think Disney would allow alligators in their pond? These people are from Nebraska. They arent going to be thinking about alligators. When you go to a Disney resort, you assume it is safe.


I'm still flabbergasted that Disney hasn't taken steps to clear their waters of these reptiles. How can you have such a kid friendly reputation and allow gators to roam your waters while you're putting beach chairs out there for your guests?


#GMSTRONG
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,438
E
Legend
Offline
Legend
E
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,438
The even worse thing is I just saw on the news that this is the third time someone has been attacked by gators at Disney. I cannot believe they havent done a damn thing about it.


No Craps Given
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,378
Well now they will...and if I was a betting man I'd say its going to cost them good.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,689
B
Legend
Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,689
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
The parents probably didnt know the pond was infested with alligators. There were no beware alligator signs. And why would anyone think Disney would allow alligators in their pond? These people are from Nebraska. They arent going to be thinking about alligators. When you go to a Disney resort, you assume it is safe.



We usually agree Eve, but in this case, not.

Maybe it's because I spent a great deal of time in central Florida, but it is common knowledge that gators infest the waters of Florida. You can look at these lakes via maps, there is no way to keep gators out. There are multiple canal systems that feed or allow overflow from those lakes.

I have stay at that resort a couple of times. There is a beach. There are also signs saying no swimming. It is also light well enough to be able to read at night


No doubt there is going to be a settlement, but Disney is no more culpable then are the parents who let a toddler wade in to a lake with gators, so to say Disney should pay their last dollar is wrong.


You know....sometimes, there is no blame.


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Unless I'm mistaken, I thought the "no swimming" signs were there because of the contaminated water, fecal matter from a nearby overflow, not because of gators.


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Alligator grabs toddler, drags him into lagoon

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5