Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
All Pro
All Pro
Kc was getting doubled up by the astros. 5 game lead. Tomlin goes tomorrow.

[Linked Image from img.villagephotos.com]
Legend
Legend
Hey Cavs fans, does the Tribe's current 10-game road trip sound familiar?

@Detroit
@Atlanta
@Toronto

smile

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tribe up 6-2 top of the 5th

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Now it's 8-2. Tribe hits 4 HR in the 5th (so far) off of Verlander. (1st time ever that has ever happened to Verlander in his entire career)

Let's go Tribe! laugh

Gomes almost made it 5 HR in the inning ... but it pulled just foul.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
My goodness! Since the Cavs beat the Warriors at home in Game 6, Cleveland teams haven't lost in a week and a half!

Legend
Legend
Feels good to give it to Verlander like that. After all the innings he dominated us. I almost feel bad the Tigers have to keep paying him for a while.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
DITTO THAT Punchsmack!

"Feels good to give it to Verlander like that. After all the innings he dominated us. I almost feel bad the Tigers have to keep paying him for a while."

Except for the "almost feel bad" part.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

D
Legend
Legend
D
I watch Verlander and wonder how anyone hits him - his stuff is still electric. But his career record vs the Indians is now 18-21. That's amazing. Even more amazing is he's 0-3 vs Josh Tomlin this year, and Tomlin is 3-0 vs him, and the Tigers. I think I blame Kate Upton; he's lost 3-4 MPH off his fastball. She's draining his strength. But what a way to go ... plus he's still getting the $25M per.

Legend
Legend
Oh yeah, he's still winning life. Kate Upton, $25m/season and a famous professional baseball player.

As for his career against the Indians, I would have guessed a lot more wins for him. Maybe the last few seasons it's been balancing out.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Coming into the series, one of the Tigers players mouthed off about how they were going to win the series against the Indians, and probably even sweep the Tribe .....

I don't believe that player has a future in prognostication. wink

Tribe has won 9 in a row, and are now a season high 14 games over .500, and have a 6 game lead in the Central. They are also only 3 1/2 games behind the Rangers for the best record in the AL. They really seem to be coming together offensively, and their starting pitching is like an All Star roster in and of itself.

Let's go Tribe!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
quote above by Y:

"...and their starting pitching is like an All Star roster in and of itself"

The media have been touting the Indians starting pitching staff for years now. Maybe it's finally coming to fruition.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Indians receiving tons of positive buzz on ESPN, but it gets framed within the context of the Cavs. Such a ridiculous way to show off our team.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c..

10 in a row!!

All Pro
All Pro
They are playing phenomenol ball right now. They said they have cash to spend, realistically who can we get?

Legend
Legend
keep rollin

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Well, I'd prefer we use our two promising bats in AA to get a power bat we can control for a couple of years. Or a shut down reliever for the two bats.

I don't think we'll find a piece. I'm okay with the current make up of our club.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't see anyone on the trade block that would be worth giving up Frazier or Zimmer for. I think giving them up in trade would be a mistake. Don't see a deal happening for either of those two. Bobby Bradley, maybe? Even then, I'm not so sure.

I too am fine with the current squad.

On a side note, Logan Ice (Tribe's 72s overall pick in the 2016 draft) banged a HR over the weekend in his 5th game for the Mahoning Valley Scrappers.

All Pro
All Pro
How could you not be happy with the team rihht now? I am but the lack of a power bat worries me a little. Santana is on his way tob30+ homeruns tho. Time will tell.

All Pro
All Pro
P.S I hope KC starts losing again also.

Legend
Legend
I absolutely love this team! I truly believe that we will have a 2nd championship parade this year in Cleveland. (imagine how nuts that one will be) wink

I would love to see the Tribe be able to add a back of the bullpen type arm. We have a lot of guys who are having special type years .... but at the same time, I am very concerned about our chief set-up man, Bryan Shaw. If we can find a guy who can fill that same role, it would be a huge plus for the team, and since we are willing to add salary, maybe we can add one without giving up the farm.

We would all love to see a true power bat added to the team, but that would cost a lot in terms of young talent, and then that player has to fit in with the rest of the team. I don't know who would be available that tics off all of those boxes.

Almonte can return from suspension soon, but he may have PED'd himself off of the Major League roster. I cannot imagine him returning at the expense of any of the players currently on the roster. I still have hopes that Michael Bradley will be able to come back and contribute this season, and if he can, that would almost like trading for a top bat, only without the expense. wink Last year Bradley hit .310, with 15 HR, 45 doubles, and struck out only 51 times in 529 AB. He stole 15 bases, and knocked in 84 runs. He would be a really nice "add" to this team.

Even if we can't get him back, we have a lot of guys who are just simply doing their jobs. I think that this team feeds off the success of one another really well. They genuinely seem to enjoy playing together, and they have been able to overcome adversity together. (Bradley's injury, Carrasco's injury, Almonte's PED suspension, Byrd's suspension, and Perez's thumb injury) We also had Kluber start the year in a somewhat rocky fashion. The Indians have overcome all of this.

Heck, I'm not tired of seeing parades in Cleveland. tongue

I do have one question, though. Who thought that Tomlin would lead the team in wins at the All Star break? tongue lol (and not because the other pitchers were pitching poorly)

All Pro
All Pro
I will admit I didnt see Tomlin having quite the year he his having. I thought Salazar and Kluber would be the ones with the most W's at the break.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would have guessed Carrasco would be the team leader in wins.

As far as trading for a power bat, we need to remember that this team is built on pitching and defense. I don't want to add a run a game with a guys bat but give up 2 a game because of his glove. It's easy to identify a good offensive player because the numbers are there. Evaluating defense is a little more difficult.

I would like to add another late inning arm. Shaw hasn't been himself this year. Has he been overworked the past couple of years and it's finally hitting him? Either injury or just a tired arm? I don't know, but even if he returns to form in the 2nd half of the year, another quality late inning arm doesn't hurt.

Legend
Legend
Now we know why The tribe is playing so well.

https://twitter.com/hoynsie/status/745724553456803840/photo/1

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Cleveland Indians as contenders, do you believe it? -- Terry Pluto

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on June 27, 2016 at 4:39 PM, updated June 27, 2016 at 10:43 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Are you buying the Indians as contenders?
It's odd the question has to be asked about a team with a 45-30 record and a 10-game winning streak. The Tribe entered with a five-game lead in the Central Division.
This is not April or May. It's nearly the end of June, approaching the midway point of the 162-game schedule.
In the minds of many Northeast Ohio sports fans, the Indians are deemed "guilty" about being a contender until proven otherwise. It has been that way for 15 years, ever since the end of the 1995-2001 playoff run.
I'm not going to reheat the old hash about ownership not spending, etc. I'm simply going to do more than point to the 45-30 record. I'm going to dig deeper.
The Indians are 24-10 in the Central Division! Want to make the playoffs? Dominate your division. It's where you play 76 of 162 games.
The only other team with a winning record in the Central is Kansas City (21-11). I expect the Tribe and Royals to duel for the rest of the summer. It wouldn't be a surprise if both teams made the playoffs.
But as the Indians learned painfully in 2013, it's so much better to win the division. That season, the Tribe finished 92-70. They were a game behind Detroit. They had a one-game wildcard playoff with Tampa Bay.
They lost, 4-0. Season over.

MAYBE PREDICTIONS ARE RIGHT
A year ago, Sports Illustrated predicted the Tribe to win the 2015 World Series. Not quite. They were 81-80.
A lot of other places predicted the Tribe to win the 2015 Central Division title. Maybe they were a year early.
Fangraphs picked the Tribe to win the Central Division with an 85-77 record in 2016. The analytics website had the White Sox second at 81-81.
Baseball Prospectus (PECOTA) projected the Tribe to finish with an 92-70 record this season.
Both websites hate the Royals. The previous two years, the Royals made the World Series and they had the Royals under .500. They will probably be wrong about the Royals again.
But will they be right about the Tribe?

PITCHING AND MORE PITCHING
Many experts and analytics sites love the Indians for one reason -- the pitching. The Tribe's 3.51 ERA is the lowest in the American League. Seattle is next at 3.87.

Terry Pluto is talkin' TribeTerry Pluto is talkin' Tribe ... and how about that pitching staff!

So the Indians aren't simply No. 1 on the mound, but they are tops by a significant margin. The rotation of Corey Kluber, Carlos Carrasco, Trevor Bauer, Danny Salazar and Josh Tomlin entered Monday night with a combined 33-15 record. That's big time.
The Indians are 9-0 with a 2.00 ERA against Detroit. That's huge. That's why they are contenders. That's why you should take the Indians seriously.
When a team has a pitching staff that can turn the Tigers toothless in nine games, something is happening here.

IT STARTED IN 2015
Early last August, the Tribe was having a miserable season. Their record was 49-59. That's when the front office of Chris Antonetti and Mike Chernoff made what has become a franchise-changing deal. They shipped Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn to Atlanta. It was a salary dump, and a chance to put some younger players in the lineup.
After the trade, the Indians finished the season 32-21.
I don't exactly know how all the dots connect to the departure of Swisher and Bourn and the revival of the Tribe. But something changed, and it continued into this season.
The Indians are now 76-51 since that trade. Something is happening in Wahooville, something very, very good.

CAN IT CONTINUE?
Yes, it can. At least, the pitching can remain at an elite level. The only real surprise is Tomlin, who is 9-1. The other four members of the rotation have tremendous arms, and they are all under 30.
Will the Indians continue to hit at this level? They are fifth in runs scored. I have some doubts about that.
At the bat, this team is like the 2013 Tribe. Terry Francona demonstrated why he is one of the game's premier managers. He juggled veterans in and out of the lineup. He squeezed good years out of Ryan Raburn, Jason Giambi, Drew Stubbs and Mike Aviles. He got six powerful weeks from Mark Reynolds, before his massive slump.
This time, the names are Mike Napoli, Rajai Davis, Juan Uribe, Lonnie Chisenhall, Jose Ramirez, Michael Martinez, Tyler Naquin and Chris Gimenez. Some are old, some young. All are delivering.
And the team is being led by Francisco Lindor, Jason Kipnis and Carlos Santana. Yes, Santana ... who is batting only .231 but has 16 HR and 40 RBI.
The Indians still could use one more veteran hitter. In a recent story, MLB's Peter Gammons brought up Carlos Beltran. The 39-year-old outfielder is hitting .287 (.891 OPS) with 19 HR and 53 RBI for the slumping Yankees.
He makes $15 million, meaning about $8 million is left on the contract.
Would the Yankees be willing to pick up $5 million of that in exchange for a prospect? If so, the Indians should consider it -- assuming the prospect is not one of their top young players.
At the start of the season, I picked the Tribe to win 87 games and make the playoffs. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index...contender.html

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
YTown might just be on to something, guys and girls!!

Projection gives Tribe a good shot at World Series win

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- If the Cavaliers' championship didn't cause pigs to fly, the swines might be soaring come October.

Projection systems at FanGraphs and Baseball Prospectus give the Cubs and the Indians, a pair of franchises mired in lengthy World Series droughts, the league's best chances at winning the Fall Classic.

The Cubs, who boast baseball's best record at 48-26, have not captured a title since 1908. The Indians, winners of nine straight and 44-30 overall, have not prospered since 1948.

A quick aside for the purpose of perspective: Both teams are a week away from even reaching the midpoint of the regular season. More than three months remain until the postseason, and plenty can change during that time. Keep in mind, the Cavs didn't have favorable odds to win the NBA Finals before they proceeded to end Cleveland's 52-year major professional championship drought.

That said, a team would rather sit in first place with a sunny forecast at this juncture than be clawing its way out of a slow start. The Indians have found themselves in the latter situation each of the last two years.

Here is how each site's projection system views the Indians' outlook.

FanGraphs

• 85.4 percent chance of winning the division;

• 91.9 percent chance of making the playoffs;

• 12.7 percent chance of winning the World Series.

Baseball Prospectus

• 90.2 percent chance of winning the division;

• 95.2 percent chance of making the playoffs;

• 18.5 percent chance of winning the World Series.

Only the Cubs have better odds of winning the championship. FanGraphs gives Chicago an 18.6 percent chance; Baseball Prospectus gives Chicago a 19.0 percent chance.

The Indians hold a five-game lead in the American League Central, their largest advantage in the division in five years.

Even the oddsmakers in Las Vegas have taken notice. The Indians and Rangers are tied for the third-best odds of winning the World Series (10 to 1), behind the Cubs and Giants, according to VegasInsider.com.

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WVDawg54
Even the oddsmakers in Las Vegas have taken notice. The Indians and Rangers are tied for the third-best odds of winning the World Series (10 to 1), behind the Cubs and Giants, according to VegasInsider.com.

Yikes ... not to get ahead of ourselves. But could you image going to the World Series and seeing the Bay area for another 7 game series? Or probably even better, Cubs vs Indians ... where ONE of us would have to win it?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

Yikes ... not to get ahead of ourselves. But could you image going to the World Series and seeing the Bay area for another 7 game series? Or probably even better, Cubs vs Indians ... where ONE of us would have to win it?

I was thinking about a Cubs series, which is just a bit less dramatic since we won the NBA championship.. but it would still be a good story line of two tortured fan bases..

then again, Tribe vs Giants would be fun too.. but it's an even year, so I'd rather play the Cubs.

yebat' Putin
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

I just found it interesting, especially because YTown has been trumpeting that since the Cavs won the NBA title. (I still can't believe I got to write that!!)

It's crazy how the stench of Cleveland's sports blew away because of one kid from Akron. I truly believe that this year could be the #ALLINdians year. But, before LeBron and the boys did the impossible, I was ready to "Wait for next year."

#gmstrong.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Indians have been on a warpath lately, and their schedule is pretty favorable for a bit. Shaping up to be a great summer, until fall hits and reality strikes as the browns take the field..lol

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
After last night's game, Drennan was talking about Trevor Rosenthal, formerly the Cardinals closer, who has fallen out of favor in St. Louis. He may be available without trading blue chips, and a change of scenery could be just what he needs. We don't need him to be the closer, Allen is doing just fine. Rosenthal would be a great addition as a 7th or 8th inning guy.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
Let's be precise here.......

I said that if a Cleveland team was going to win a championship, it would be under the most improbable, or even impossible circumstances, doing something that no one had ever done before. wink (I was right for once, and it was a good thing ...... so I am going to enjoy this experience) tongue

I also said that once a Cleveland team won it all, the floodgates would open. I really hope that I am right about this one too. wink grin

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Indians trade targets: Which players are realistic options for the Tribe?

Any Tribe big splash will be in hotel pool
What do Chris Antonetti and Co. have up their sleeves this summer? (Chuck Crow/PD)
Print Email Zack Meisel, cleveland.com By Zack Meisel, cleveland.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on June 28, 2016 at 11:40 AM, updated June 28, 2016 at 11:45 AM
Cleveland Indians 2016
Cleveland Indians' Terry Francona showing how valuable a great manager can be: DMan video
Beware of streaking Cleveland Indians and rubber snakes in ice coolers
Cleveland Indians trade targets: Which players are realistic options for the Tribe?
10 stunning statistics from the Cleveland Indians' 10-game winning streak
Have you bought into the Indians after 10-game winning streak? (poll)
All Stories
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Mike Napoli and Rajai Davis are safe. Barring a catastrophic free-fall over the next month, the Indians won't be conducting their annual veteran garage sale.

At last, it appears as though the Indians will be buyers, scouring the market for a reinforcement or two to help push the team closer to a busier October schedule.

The question with this organization, of course, is what can the Indians afford to take on, from a monetary standpoint, and give up, in terms of prospects?

The Indians' needs are no secret. While the offense has performed admirably given Michael Brantley's absence, an outfielder or third baseman could offer a lift. A late-inning relief arm or a lefty specialist could provide a jolt as well.

How soon will teams on the fence determine whether they're willing to part with particular players? The advent of the second Wild Card slot has clouded the trade market until the thick of July in recent years. That could complicate things.

Who will the Tribe chase? Let's take a look at a list of options -- some realistic, others mere pipe dreams. The non-waiver trade deadline is Aug. 1.

Makes sense

Danny Valencia, IF/OF, Oakland

2016 salary: $3.15 million

Contract: Eligible for final year of arbitration in 2017

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
The fit: He has played third base this season, but not well, according to defensive metrics. He also has experience at first base and the corner outfield spots. He owns a career .327 average and .888 OPS against lefties. He has hit every pitcher well this year, though, as he boasts a .335/.386/.545 slash line with 11 home runs in 228 plate appearances.

Josh Reddick, OF, Oakland

2016 salary: $6.6 million

Contract: Free agent at the end of the season

The fit: Reddick's career numbers at the plate (and position on the field) resemble those of Lonnie Chisenhall, though he posted a .322/.394/.466 clip through 41 games before he broke his thumb. He's expected back on Tuesday, but for how long will he remain with the A's?

Sean Doolittle, RP, Oakland

2016 salary: $1.58 million

Contract: Signed through 2018, with team options for '19 and '20

The fit: He has logged a 3.02 ERA in five big league seasons, with 10.4 strikeouts per nine innings. We haven't seen enough of Tom Gorzelanny to learn if he's the solution to the Indians' left-handed reliever void. Doolittle would also provide late-inning insurance. Doolittle could become an attractive commodity for a lot of teams seeking a bullpen addition.

Jon Jay, OF, San Diego

2016 salary: $6.85 million

Contract: Free agent at the end of the season

The fit: He has rebounded from a miserable 2015 season by registering a .296 average and .345 on-base percentage, with a National League-high 24 doubles. He has experience at all three outfield positions and is a career .288 hitter against both lefties and righties.

Will Smith, RP, Milwaukee

2016 salary: $1.48 million

Contract: Eligible for first year of arbitration in 2017

The fit: Smith, a left-handed reliever, owns a 3.00 ERA in four seasons as a reliever, with 11.8 strikeouts per nine innings.

Fernando Abad, RP, Minnesota

2016 salary: $1.25 million

Contract: Eligible for final year of arbitration in 2017

The fit: The southpaw has logged a 2.79 ERA over the last four years, including a 2.16 ERA this season.

10 stunning stats from Tribe's 10-game streak
10 stunning stats from Tribe's 10-game streak
Tribe starters have limited the opposition to 44 hits in 74 2/3 innings. That's impressive. So are these nine other facts.

Who else might be out there?

Wil Myers, 1B/OF, San Diego

He's young, cheap, under control through 2019 and is finally producing offensively like he did when he was the AL Rookie of the Year in 2013. The Padres won't just hand him over, though.

Jake McGee, RP, Colorado

He's scheduled to return from a sprained knee this weekend. The lefty has struggled in the Colorado air after a few dazzling seasons with Tampa Bay. Prior to this season, he averaged 11.1 strikeouts per nine. He is under control through next year.

Jay Bruce, OF, Cincinnati

He has mashed this year (career-high .899 OPS, 17 homers). The Reds are rebuilding. The Indians are also reportedly on his no-trade list. Would he waive it to play for a contender? Can he play an adequate outfield? Would the Indians exercise his $13 million option for 2017?

Carlos Beltran, OF, New York

The 39-year-old is hitting like he's still in his prime, with a .294 average, .902 OPS and 19 home runs. He's probably best-suited as a designated hitter, but the Indians don't really have an opening there. Beltran is earning $15 million this season and can become a free agent at the end of the year.

Kole Calhoun, OF, Los Angeles

Last year, Calhoun flashed power (26 homers) and won a Gold Glove Award. This year, he boasts an .813 OPS with a decreased strikeout rate and a much higher average and on-base percentage. He is under team control through 2019 and the Angels have holes everywhere, especially in the farm system.

Jonathan Lucroy, C, Milwaukee

He's inexpensive and proficient at both sides of his job, but you can bet the Tribe's starting pitchers would be less than thrilled about having to build a rapport with a new starting backstop, even if Lucroy could shift to first base next year.

Aroldis Chapman, RP, New York

In 2014-15, Chapman totaled 222 strikeouts and only 64 hits allowed. Now imagine that four-time All-Star paired with Cody Allen at the back end of the Indians' bullpen. The hard-throwing southpaw can become a free agent in a few months, so perhaps the Yankees' price tag won't be exorbitant. It won't be small, though.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf...art_river_index

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
I'd give up our two big prospects for Valencia. I'd like that reliever from OAK, but I doubt they'll trade both of them to us for only just our two batting prospects.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
"In addition to winning 10 games in a row, the Indians are working on a couple of other notable streaks. ESPN Stats & Info offers a look:

Scored at least six runs in seven straight games (their longest streak since 2005)
Allowed three earned runs or less in 10 straight games; longest streak since 13 straight in 1998."

And to have these two streaks happen concurrently is amazingly fortuitous.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Man Lindor is kind of a liability with his glove/arm isn't he. Almost every game I watch he pulls the 1st baseman off the bad a few times a game, he can't throw on the run. His bat is amazing, you can tell he's young

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
You're never happy. tongue

Legend
Legend
keep rollin

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
11 in a row!

Naquin needs to pick it up on defense. Completely misjudged that ball in the 9th.

J-Ram had some big hits batting 4th.

Fun fact: Ramirez has now hit in every spot of the batting order this season (courtesy of Andre Knott).

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Indians 2016: First Place?!

Link Copied to Clipboard